Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,294 members, 7,808,002 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:15 AM

Buhari's Restriction On AIT: Undemocratic, Unpresidential And Unacceptable - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari's Restriction On AIT: Undemocratic, Unpresidential And Unacceptable (33326 Views)

Revenue Generation: FG May Revise Restriction On 41 Items / Kwankwaso: Relocation Of Mile 12 Market Is "Unfair And Unacceptable" / Another Unpresidential Error: See Pix. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Buhari's Restriction On AIT: Undemocratic, Unpresidential And Unacceptable by Nobody: 10:17am On Apr 28, 2015
My heart was filled with grief after reading the Vanguard Report titled "Hate campaign: Buhari fights back, bars AIT from covering his activities - http://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/04/hate-campaign-buhari-fights-back-bars-ait-from-covering-his-activities/.

The question that stroke through my mind was "Can this be be justified in any sane democracy?".

It appears like Muhammadu Buhari is yet to come to terms with the present day democratic dispensation that he is bound to lead for the next for years or he is just acting naive. Perhaps the Daura-born General wants to bring back Decree 4 through the back door or he is out to fight any media organisation that he considers to be his adversary. Whatever be the case, Nigerians will not allow anyone to tamper with the freedom of media as provided by the 1999 Constitution.

President-elect Muhammadu Buhari need to be reminded that Sections 22 and 39 (1)(2) (quoted below) specifically made provision for Press Freedom.

Press Freedom In Nigeria's Constitution
Section 22 of the Nigerian 1999 constitution states that: “the press, radio, television and other agencies of mass media shall at all times be free to uphold the fundamental objectives contained in this chapter and uphold the responsibility and accountability of the government to the people.”

Section 39(1) States that "Every person shall be entitled to freedom of expression, including freedom to hold opinions and to receive and impart ideas and information without interference.
Section 39(2) further went on to say "Without prejudice to the generality of subsection(1) of this section, every person shall be entitled to own, establish and operate any medium for the dissemination of information, ideas and opinion."

Buhari Should Remember His Words on Press Freedom
At his interactive session with members of Newspapers Proprietors of Nigeria (NPAN) and Nigeria Guild of Editors (NGE) on March 17, 2015, he pledged to uphold Press Freedom and to be a friend of the Press. In his own words...

“Concerning the Decree 4 of 1984, I have to assure you that the time for that is over. That was part of military administration and dictatorship, but I have also promised you that I am now a converted, and converted democrat. Therefore, I want to assure you that I am going to be a friend of the media and this time, I will work well with you as friends and partners in the development of the nation, and that is my promise to you.”

“I want to give you my full assurances that in this democratic dispensation, I will ensure that the Nigerian Constitution is upheld. This includes respect for the media, respect for the right to free expression and freedom of speech. I have said elsewhere that I cannot change the past. But I can change the present and the future. Dictatorship goes with military rule as do edicts such as Decree 4"

"...I will continue to promote the consolidation of democracy in our great country, Nigeria, by guaranteeing that the media’s freedom is not compromised in any way. I give you my full assurances that the Nigerian media will be free under our APC government.”.
http://sunnewsonline.com/new/?p=109636

The Unfortunate AIT Restriction
It is a unfortunate that President-elect Muhammadu Buhari that claimed to be a "reformed democrat" throughout the electioneering period will take the ignoble decision of preventing AIT from covering his activities even before taking oath of office. It is also unfortunate that the man that pledged to be a friend of the media will issue restricting order on a law abiding corporate citizen and a legally recognise media house. Buhari is expected to treat all members of the Media in the most appropriate manner. He should remember that the rights of the media as enshrined in the Constitution is not subject to change via Presidential desire. If he hasn't been told, he should be aware that his restriction on AIT is undemocratic and can never be tolerated in any sane democracy. If the President-elect has anything against AIT, he should seek redress in court. He may not like AIT as a media outfit but he should allow them conduct their duties unfettered as long as they operate within the ambit of the law.

Finally, let me remind President-elect Muhammadu Buhari that Nigerians are looking up to him to fulfil his numerous electoral promises. We will not tolerate any form of impunity or "executive rascality" whether from him(as President) or from any officer of his incoming government.

God Bless Nigeria
Source: http://solomontonye..com/2015/04/buharis-restriction-on-ait-undemocratic.html

88 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Buhari's Restriction On AIT: Undemocratic, Unpresidential And Unacceptable by Nobody: 10:19am On Apr 28, 2015
Ait attack on Gen. Buhari, very democratic, Presidential and 100% acceptable..Fools

209 Likes 20 Shares

Re: Buhari's Restriction On AIT: Undemocratic, Unpresidential And Unacceptable by Nobody: 10:20am On Apr 28, 2015
Propaganda never finish ni grin Ait is too corrupt to cover the event, abi una wan bomb sai baba grin what do u want with a Man U blackmailed, na wa o

84 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Buhari's Restriction On AIT: Undemocratic, Unpresidential And Unacceptable by Nobody: 10:23am On Apr 28, 2015
olatunji21:
Ait attack on Gen. Buhari, very democratic, Presidential and 100% acceptable..Fools
What do you mean by "AIT attack"? If Buhari is convinced that AIT aired defaming story on him, the appropriate thing to do is to seek redress in Court or Petition the regulatory agencies. Buhari will not be allowed to "tame" the Press. This is not within his power and it is unacceptable in any democracy.

170 Likes 19 Shares

Re: Buhari's Restriction On AIT: Undemocratic, Unpresidential And Unacceptable by papaejima1: 10:23am On Apr 28, 2015
I think this is a test-run by Buhari to see and know what will happen and what people will do when he cracks down on press freedom.

So we are giving him notice that he cannot muzzle anyone anymore in this country whether press or individual.

He has to bear it, he has to live with it. We can call him any name that suits us, we can say whatever we wish and we can accuse him and his officials with even the most outlandish charges. He MUST live with it.
Lai mohammed knows what am talking about.

106 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Buhari's Restriction On AIT: Undemocratic, Unpresidential And Unacceptable by hopilo: 10:23am On Apr 28, 2015
GEJ should have banned Sahara report, Nation, Punch, Vangaurd and others. In democracy there is press freedom and freedom of expression, for those supporting this action today I pray when GMB start to clamp down on Nigerians in social network we should not complain.

108 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Buhari's Restriction On AIT: Undemocratic, Unpresidential And Unacceptable by focus7: 10:26am On Apr 28, 2015
Barcanista go to court or get a rope and just end it.

84 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Buhari's Restriction On AIT: Undemocratic, Unpresidential And Unacceptable by Nobody: 10:27am On Apr 28, 2015
hopilo:
GEJ should have banned Sahara report, Nation, Punch, Vangaurd and others. In democracy there is press freedom and freedom of expression, for those supporting this action today I pray when GMB start to clamp down on Nigerians in social network we should not complain.
Mr Muhammadu Buhari just like Obasanjo and others are intolerant when it comes to Press Freedom. Unfortunately for Mr Buhari, we will not sit and watch him disrupt the constitutionally protecting duties of any media house. If he is unsatisfied he should go to court or live with it. Tyranny will not be allowed in this dispensation

67 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Buhari's Restriction On AIT: Undemocratic, Unpresidential And Unacceptable by Randerl: 10:27am On Apr 28, 2015
olatunji21:

Good One Bro. Thanks.

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari's Restriction On AIT: Undemocratic, Unpresidential And Unacceptable by adebisicutie: 10:27am On Apr 28, 2015
Come and answer questions on the PWC report, stop running away

GEJ and his cronies have been exposed tongue

https://www.nairaland.com/2280952/pwc-report-latest-cbn-npdc

45 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari's Restriction On AIT: Undemocratic, Unpresidential And Unacceptable by Nobody: 10:30am On Apr 28, 2015
focus7:
Barcanista go to court or get a rope and just end it.
What do you mean by "I should go to court"? Is it not a shame that a so-called democratic and progressive President-elect is infringing on the right of the press? Is it not more shameful that you people that has been shouting Change are supporting this rape to the constitution? If Mr Buhari that is yet to assume power will act this way, what happens when he is sworn-in? Buhari will not find it easy if he thinks we are in 1984 era.

60 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Buhari's Restriction On AIT: Undemocratic, Unpresidential And Unacceptable by TheFreeOne: 10:30am On Apr 28, 2015
Can a leopard change its spots Time will tell.

39 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari's Restriction On AIT: Undemocratic, Unpresidential And Unacceptable by Randerl: 10:31am On Apr 28, 2015
olatunji21:

Good One Bro. Thanks.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari's Restriction On AIT: Undemocratic, Unpresidential And Unacceptable by Princess042(f): 10:32am On Apr 28, 2015
Someone should remind sai baba that we are no longer in the military....

He should please tread with caution

Whether you like Barcanista or not, you can't deny the fact that he posts with facts

Give me a Barcanista anytime any day

76 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Buhari's Restriction On AIT: Undemocratic, Unpresidential And Unacceptable by dunkem21(m): 10:32am On Apr 28, 2015
I laugh in Nairaland grin

Mark my words, very soon, typing "one chance" on NL will earn you a lengthy ban. grin

Your own don finish if you follow dey type ... MY HERO ..... MY ROLE MODEL grin

27 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari's Restriction On AIT: Undemocratic, Unpresidential And Unacceptable by Nobody: 10:34am On Apr 28, 2015
barcanista:
What do you mean by "AIT attack"? If Buhari is convinced that AIT aired defaming story on him, the appropriate thing to do is to seek redress in Court or Petition the regulatory agencies. Buhari will not be allowed to "tame" the Press. This is not within his power and it is unacceptable in any democracy.
Tame the press? As he has done to Channels, Stv, TVc, Galaxy et el... Can't u see he is taming them all with Tape rule... Trash

45 Likes

Re: Buhari's Restriction On AIT: Undemocratic, Unpresidential And Unacceptable by Nnemuka(f): 10:34am On Apr 28, 2015
Next is Nairaland and Linda ikeji blog cheesy

8 Likes

Re: Buhari's Restriction On AIT: Undemocratic, Unpresidential And Unacceptable by Nobody: 10:35am On Apr 28, 2015
I hope Buhari understands that we have democracy now and freedom of speech. We all know all what Jonathan went through at the hands of the press and social media, Buhari should get ready for his own barrage of criticisms. undecided

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari's Restriction On AIT: Undemocratic, Unpresidential And Unacceptable by tonte(m): 10:35am On Apr 28, 2015
Barcanista....all I really really wanna know is....I thought you were a die hard supporter of Buhari...and in your eyes he could do no wrong during the elections? How come you were blind and now you can see even when he hasn't been sworn in

6 Likes

Re: Buhari's Restriction On AIT: Undemocratic, Unpresidential And Unacceptable by Nobody: 10:36am On Apr 28, 2015
Princess042:

Whether you like Barcanista or not, you can't deny the fact that he posts with facts

ma Princess kiss kiss kiss kiss

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari's Restriction On AIT: Undemocratic, Unpresidential And Unacceptable by Nobody: 10:37am On Apr 28, 2015
Princess042:

You don't like the fellow like i do... I was one of his greatest admirer in time past, even when he decamped i still respect his opinion and his freedom of association, not until i noticed he was an attack dog... i feel disgusted

19 Likes

Re: Buhari's Restriction On AIT: Undemocratic, Unpresidential And Unacceptable by curiouses: 10:37am On Apr 28, 2015
For fellow Buharist

ARIWO OJA

By Pius Adesanmi.

My last take on this AIT matter before I move on.

Ariwo oja, the din of the market place, is the greatest threat to the Yoruba person's presence in the economic and affective environment of the market. You have been to Oyingbo and Alaba, you have been to Dugbe and Mokola, you have been to any kasua in the north, you have been to Onitsha market. Then you understand what the Yoruba mean by "ariwo oja" - the noise of the market place.

For all the psychic sensations it exerts on the senses; for all its vitality and vibrancy, the noise of the market can distract. If you let it get into your head, if you let it influence you, you could lose your bearing, your sense of purpose, your sense of mission. You could even forget the reason you went to the market in the first place. It can disorient you. It can cause economic loss. You could buy things inferior for lack of concentration. That is why the Yoruba advise you to face the specific trader you are in transaction with and shut out the noise of the marketplace. Customer and trader are advised to focus on what is important and ignore the distracting chaos that is ariwo oja - the noise of the market.

Ma w'ariwo oja - the Yoruba philosophy of focus, of concentration on that all important goal, of savoir-faire, of avoidance of distraction.

In this business, you, Buharist wayfarer of the marketplace, have only two propositions in the market: Nigeria and GMB, the man on whose shoulders you have placed the burden of national rebirth. Everything else is ariwo oja - ignore it and stay focused.

Yes, the current ariwo oja is malevolent and sore, its only determination being to ensure Buhari's failure from the very start. Every tentative step will drive this ariwo oja into a frenzy because they are assiduously investing their hope in the failure of your man. What Nigeria gains or loses in that failure - if it ever happens - is of no significance because the important thing to ariwo oja now is to prove that your man is a failure like his, that your man is no better than his.

And this is why you get on the defensive when you don't have to. This is why you think that admission of any misstep by your own man is delivering him to the chattering unruliness of Jonathanian ariwo oja. You do not want to deliver him to enemies who have refused to move on with their lives after March 28, 2015 and now waste their talents 24/7 scheming for and willing Buhari's failure into being.

But you are making a mistake by paying attention to ariwo oja when that philosophy says you should face your two customers squarely: Nigeria and Buhari. Buhari can only achieve Nigeria's rebirth with your help. You will not help him by adopting the strategies through which those now authoring ariwo oja destroyed Goodluck Jonathan and ruined Nigeria.

Always remember this: nothing would please ariwo oja more than the satisfaction of seeing you destroy Buhari the way he destroyed Goodluck Jonathan through uncritical, undiscerning blind followership fed by civic poverty.

Yes, they will taunt you. They will jeer. They will scoff. They will laugh and ridicule what hasn't even begun. You must always remember that such is the stuff that infantilist ariwo oja is made of. You must ignore this ariwo oja and focus on Buhari squarely and help him to be the very best that he must be: and this involves patriotic acknowledgement and critique of missteps.

When you listen to ariwo oja instead of ignoring it completely and focusing on Nigeria and Buhari, you start to hair-split. You start to cut and slice. You start to rootle the dictionary for the difference between "prohibit", "ban", and "bar". Then you start to lie to yourself: he did not ban, he merely barred them from access for family and security reasons.

Ariwo oja wins because you have become like him. He has goaded you into becoming him. Remember ariwo oja says that there is a difference between stealing and corruption and 14 million of you rose up to reject that leprous morality of his? You rejected that vision. You said Nigeria deserves better.

Now you are hair-splitting between ban and bar.

Then you wake up with a straight face tomorrow and resume condemnation of ariwo oja for hair splitting between stealing and corruption?

Please, ignore ariwo oja. Focus on Buhari and Nigeria. Help Buhari to deliver on hope and change. Help him to begin the foundation of a Nigeria that will be unforgivably hostile to mediocrity and the rationalization of the unacceptable.

That should be the covenant between you and Nigeria.

Ignore ariwo oja.

Ma w'ariwo oja.

Let them say

Cc: PassingShot

16 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Buhari's Restriction On AIT: Undemocratic, Unpresidential And Unacceptable by Nobody: 10:38am On Apr 28, 2015
olatunji21:

Tame the press? As he has done to Channels, Stv, TVc, Galaxy et el... Can't u see he is taming them all with Tape rule... Trash
Injury to one is injury to all. If he can do that to AIT then it means he can do same to STV, Channels TV, Galaxy etc. We have to remind him of the present democratic reality so that he won't bite more than he is expected to chew.

19 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Buhari's Restriction On AIT: Undemocratic, Unpresidential And Unacceptable by Nobody: 10:39am On Apr 28, 2015
tonte:
Barcanista....all I really really wanna know is....I thought you were a die hard supporter of Buhari...and in your eyes he could do no wrong during the elections? How come you were blind and now you can see even when he hasn't been sworn in
That is a story for another day abeg...

2 Likes

Re: Buhari's Restriction On AIT: Undemocratic, Unpresidential And Unacceptable by Nobody: 10:40am On Apr 28, 2015
EUROBOMBER:
I hope Buhari understands that we have democracy now and freedom of speech. We all know all what Jonathan went through at the hands of the press and social media, Buhari should get ready for his own barrage of criticisms. undecided

This is a family affair, aw wil u feel if u are accused of killing ur own mother(God forbid)..I believe your guess is as good as mine...The man will have to live with the trauma all his life.. (Accused of Killing his wife and watching his own daughter die)Thats way too much

20 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Buhari's Restriction On AIT: Undemocratic, Unpresidential And Unacceptable by TheOtherview: 10:41am On Apr 28, 2015
I am fully aligned with @OP on this one, because there are more effective ways of containing unconscionable media organizations like AIT; than resorting to tactics which hark back to a dark period in Nigeria's history.

it would be judicious to act with magnanimity towards a prostrate foe ~ Zachary Taylor cool

P.S - You are overreaching yourself with the contrived edict copied in below, @Barcanista
Finally, let me remind President-elect Muhammadu Buhari that Nigerians are looking up to him to fulfil his numerous electoral promises. We will not tolerate any form of impunity or "executive rascality" whether from him(as President) or from any officer of his incoming government.

Wait for him to be sworn in first angry

2 Likes

Re: Buhari's Restriction On AIT: Undemocratic, Unpresidential And Unacceptable by Nobody: 10:41am On Apr 28, 2015
olatunji21:

You don't like the fellow like i do... I was one of his greatest admirer in time past, even when he decamped i still respect his opinion and his freedom of association, not until i noticed he was an attack dog... i feel disgusted
Attack dog of Olatunji21 I guess

4 Likes

Re: Buhari's Restriction On AIT: Undemocratic, Unpresidential And Unacceptable by Nobody: 10:43am On Apr 28, 2015
barcanista:
Injury to one is injury to all. If he can do that to AIT then it means he can do same to STV, Channels TV, Galaxy etc. We have to remind him of the present democratic reality so that he won't bite more than he is expected to chew.
You should remember GEJ is still the C-in-C till May 29, i see no reason why a private congratulatory visit to the general would be term an official duty just yet...
And also, the general is not against the media in anyway, the Media played an important role in his election..

8 Likes

Re: Buhari's Restriction On AIT: Undemocratic, Unpresidential And Unacceptable by Nobody: 10:44am On Apr 28, 2015
Am shamed of you barcanista totaly ashamed..you are way more smarter than this...playing opposition does not mean you should let go of common sense...

As far as privacy is concerned to me he has the right to barred them...when he is sworn in,then we can now begin to judge....

For now he is just an ordinary citizen like me and you...you are way more smarter than this..please grow up...

35 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Buhari's Restriction On AIT: Undemocratic, Unpresidential And Unacceptable by PassingShot(m): 10:44am On Apr 28, 2015
barcanista:
Mr Muhammadu Buhari just like Obasanjo and others are intolerant when it comes to Press Freedom. Unfortunately for Mr Buhari, we will not sit and watch him disrupt the constitutionally protecting duties of any media house. If he is unsatisfied he should go to court or live with it. Tyranny will not be allowed in this dispensation

Shut up boy! I say STFU!

grin grin grin

This was your take when AIT aired the clandestine documentary then:

barcanista:
AIT/GEJ Lied To Nigerians

1. Fela NEVER mentioned Buhari in $N2.8B scandal. He mentioned OBJ. AIT edited that part off.

2. Buhari did not expel Ghanians from Nigeria. Shagari of the NPN did. AIT made a FALSE assertion.
http://www.nytimes.com/1983/02/02/world/by-land-and-sea-they-stream-from-nigeria.html

3. Gloria Okon did not disappear under Buhari it was under IBB and Dele Giwa was murdered for it.

4. GEJ went so low to bring Buhari’s daughters into politics. Can one use Dame’s inability to bear a child as a campaign issue?

5. Fela’s mother the GREAT Funmilayo Kuti died after OBJ Kalakuta in 1978 Buhari came into power in 1984.

6. All Politicians that was sentenced to prison by the 1984 Military Tribunal were found to either enrich themselves with public funds or diverted public funds. Non were convicted by fiat

7. GEJ and AIT went after Buhari ’s late wife and daughter. How low and desperate can Jonathan get?

8. AIT/GEJ alleged that Buhari has been losing since 1999. This is a lie. Buhari's first shot was in 2003. In 1999 Chief Olu Falae of ANPP/AD contested against Obj.

9. AIT/GEJ criticised Buhari for Heading PTF Board. Whereas, PTF is till date the most successful parastatal ever in Nigeria. Through PTF, the Amazon Dora Akunyili was known.

Vote for GMB/APC for Change in Nigeria. PDP propaganda is distasteful and obscene. Should be condemned by all.

The AIT documentary on Buhari will not make him less popular. President Jonathan is still playing catch up...

36 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Buhari's Restriction On AIT: Undemocratic, Unpresidential And Unacceptable by Nobody: 10:47am On Apr 28, 2015
barcanista:
Attack dog of Olatunji21 I guess
Right from the onset u never liked Tinubu, u association with APC was only because of the Buhari's Factor..You hated corruption(back then)..You were very objective in all of ur analysis..I was Surprised the Tide turn all of a sudden, u suddenly became the defender of the oppressive govt.. I was suprised and Stil Is..

5 Likes

Re: Buhari's Restriction On AIT: Undemocratic, Unpresidential And Unacceptable by vision2022: 10:48am On Apr 28, 2015
By posting this; this barca nonsense you are a fool, consider what AIT did to GMB just b/cos they were giving money by Jonathan, if I were in GMB shoes I will use NBC to close the station and its sister companies down to serve as deterrant to others that may like to engage in such unruly behaviour in future. They left their professional conduct to engage in character assasination. fooools.

14 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Aregbesola Clears 4 Months Salary Arrears With N14.2bn - Vanguard / I Am Not A Criminal - Iskilu Wakili Breaks Silence / Tinubu: Pastor Adeboye Named Me Abraham, Father Of Nations

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.