Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,474 members, 7,781,381 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 01:29 PM

A Review Of Olamide’s ‘street OT’ Album - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / A Review Of Olamide’s ‘street OT’ Album (1003 Views)

New Beef: Pics Of Olamide on Stage and His twitter Insults to DonJazzy / The Truth About Oritse Femi | 7-7: The Street OT – #thehustleplaylist / A Review Of Flavour's Album; Thankful (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

A Review Of Olamide’s ‘street OT’ Album by Princephelar(m): 5:33pm On Apr 28, 2015
Since inception of his career as we know it (Rapsodi-2011) he had made it clear he was going hard, you stand no chance against the number 1 hustler. How he has managed to retain such appetite for hustle till this day even as an established act, I’m clueless. Four albums in as many years he’s been active, that’s 1 for every year. It has become a November affair for Olamide, so consistent the month should be tagged ‘season of the badoo’. Chutzpah. By virtue of this hunger he has risen to become the CEO of his own record label.
I would have suggested a different nomenclature for the album; Hustle OT, of course ‘street’ and ‘hustle’ is often interchangeable-on the street, but then the street is more encompassing and consistent with the lyrical content of the album. Street OT –orientation is a compilation that would minister to you and if you connect properly invoke in you the spirit of hustle, raw. Here is a critical evaluation of the album, StreetOT-Nov2014.

Up in the club: not a bad attempt at dirty south crunk hip-hop, but of course with mounds sleaziness in Yoruba language. Viktoh’s verse wasn’t impressive. Olamide’s narratives on Ejiro were hilarious. Very club oriented, you might find yourself cranking that souljabouy dance before too long.

Aaru: The chorus is a Yoruba adage. He used the beat sample from black skinhead, the track which is also the sound track of the current Guiness’ Made of Black campaign that he (Olamide) is part of. You can feel his hunger for more from his lyrics. He’s not ready to be suicidal, shay mo jo sulu gambari referencing the book haram suicide bombers. He hasn’t built his father a mansion, plus he doesn’t own a Bugatti yet, so what’s the rush.

Batifeori: It follows the rhythm of a praise and worship song. Amidst all the hustle, olamide had time to take inventory of God’s favor, to see how far he’s come, felt he owed Him one number.
Blood money The chorus is just an 8x loop of the title, in a patois accented voice-artistic, Olamide delivered massive punch-lines from the blast of the whistle. His pun on Yoruba/English homophones farawe (imitate) and far-away, can but only impress you unless you’re a Bia-TCH, his aphorism to sign off the first verse.

Eni Sun: You won’t sleep. It’s definitely personal for him this time, in his anger he unleashes his wrath (in words) on an un-identified person. He mentions someone living a life that he sees on the tv, forming omo baba olowo when he isn’t Davido. But when Olamide comments that he sticks to time-table of his album release-he does this every November, you start to have an idea who he is sticking it to.

Falila Ketan : . Falilah is an Islamic name predominant among girls south-west Nigeria, ‘ketan’ means the girl is bow-legged. The chorus is quiet vulgar in a coded kind of way. The verses are however incongruous. Not one of the high scorers on the album, although you can find solace in the comical vulgarity of the lyrics.

Hood Rap: Olamide hits major point on score sheets of rap faithfuls with this song that’s aptly titled. Hood rap is a dark journey deep into the conscience of a survivor in a ‘eat or be preyed on’ world, but he’s conscious ‘ no more snakes in my circle, I only roll with kiniun(Lion) ’. His witty word play with fo (fly)-foe when he said ‘won form superman, but iyawon can’t fo(foe), I mean they can’t fly’ is a reminder of how devastating Olamide can be when he actually raps.

Prayer For My Client: Here in, he flexes his hustle muscle once again, going by his bridge ‘if it’s not about money, then it’s not making sense ’ get the feeling the home boy isn’t playing intern-3million for a show in Ibadan is agreeable than 500k in UK, keep the int’l recognition, I’ll take the money. A lot of hustlers would relate to the song and may yet become an anthem amongst internet ‘gangstas’. He reiterates he still won’t rap in English, no faking.

Real MVP: Alujo we call it, it might come across to you as a dance track, which is basically the same thing more or less, alujo-a Fuji dance song and produced by young John a guy Olamide no doubt has tremendous confidence in, as he commits the major chunk of the album’s production to him. Real MVP is a toast to the good life. Groovy!

Ya wa: He uses the Yoruba homophone Ya wa which could be translated as ‘separate us’ or ‘picture us’. They won’t separate (ya wa) him from his lover, even if they do (ya wa), it’ll be a photo. He shows his romantic tendencies with sweet rhymes. The wedding number on the album.

Zero Joy: ‘ Boys aren’t playing out here, me want to buy benz and bema ’ further resonates the manner of hustler he is, MI attests to this recently when he said Olamide is the hardest working artist he knows. Zero Joy as the title goes, is an un-smiling raw street rap song, which pitches Olamide against the player haters. He refutes a popular adage in Yoruba-he’s simply saying “Bleep you and your time difference” to all those that feel he’s still young in the game. He wants to be mentioned alongside the greatest, Fela, Femi Kuti, Lucky Dube, 2pac and biggie. Yeah I know he goofed right? Or Chutzpah!

Possible ft B.Banks: Olamide administers motivational lyrics to all who are trying to make a way and be something-anything is possible. I especially like B.Banks performance, that deep rich voice delivering a verse that might as well have been a Yoruba poem. It’s refreshing and soothing to my ears.

Bang ft Chinko: This is an instance where people of the opinion that Olamide’s trying too hard might have a point. Yet another dirty south theme rap song, Chinko’s verse is perhaps the highest point of the song. Kesh stood in for Olamide, but for the voice pitch, you couldn’t tell the difference-they’re similar like that. Olamide merely delivered the chorus.

Skelemba: All my expectations and high hopes was cruelly quelled when I heard this song produced by Don Jazzy, a song I had been looking forward to. He’s and Don’s collective effort isn’t what I expected by a mile. So disappointed, moving on.

Usain Bolt ft Lil kesh: A laid back song you can bump your head to in your car maybe. The RnB beat calms the often rapid raging vocals from Olamide, although he is on some Usain Bolt P, he’s so fast and ahead of the game no one can touch him. Lil kesh’s performance once again begs the question, what’s next after shoki, shoki female version? Oh he done did it.

Oga Nla ft Pasuma: Oga Nla which means biggest boss or a 5 star general, if we go by the speech delivered by the mock general at the opening of the song. Oga Nla is the street title bestowed on the silver tooted fuji artist Pasuma by fans. He did the chorus singing “won ni mo leru ku, mo ni disciples, Oga Nla ” he sure does have goons and disciples.
In my circle ft Phyno Never change the winning formula. Yet again a well-played out Yoruba-Ibo rap. The ‘infamous’ collaborating duo Olamide/Phyno laid out rap verses on instrumentals sample from Drake’s the Motto .

Hustle Loyalty: Definitely a high point on the album, the collaboration of the 2 most prolific Yoruba rappers. Reminisce, Olamide, form the Ibile united movement, and the winning; money, street credibility and popularity, it’s a take-over. Reminisce’s closing verse was the icing on the cake, linking a word to the next without a pausing to take a breath, breath taking. The chorus is surprisingly straight clean English.

Source: www.360nobs.com/2014/11/a-review-of-olamides-street-ot-album-by-shiznnitz/
Re: A Review Of Olamide’s ‘street OT’ Album by Beverages: 5:16pm On Jun 02, 2023
So who's the mock general behind that voice that was use in the intro

(1) (Reply)

VIDEO: Falz Ft Phyno & Chigul – Karishika / New Music Alert: Nigeria Artist, Ollie Gee Nwa Guy Drops His New Album -rebirth / My Review Of Praiz's 69 Song.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.