Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,505 members, 7,808,856 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:01 PM

My Son Was Threatened In School - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / My Son Was Threatened In School (4978 Views)

My Son Attempting To Put On A Small Generator / SORROW TO JOY: Woman Delivers Triplets Day Murdered Son Was Buried (picture) / Husband Beats And Threatened To Pour Hot Water On Wife When Denied Sex (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Son Was Threatened In School by Purist(m): 2:16pm On May 04, 2015
bukatyne:

If you believe there are adult witches, why can't some of them be witches from childhood

I don't.
Re: My Son Was Threatened In School by bukatyne(f): 2:28pm On May 04, 2015
@Purist:

I understand your lack of belief.

AS for gender... a witch is female... wizards are male cheesy

I was an eye witness in some of the instances and a lot of students were outside the Principal's office that day

We had the good, bad and ugly in my school... people saw black man etc. always... they were not labeled witches; some students were evil and did horrible things... nobody called them a witch... one of my colleagues used to have fainting spells where she just passes out after murmuring some stuffs.... we always rushed her to the sick bay. People had different illnesses/behaviors/attitudes... nobody called anyone a witch for all that

This girl was not poor or vulnerable... she was on top of her game. It was not an issue of picking on her. This babe said she could fly and it was initially treated as 'I am Obama's daughter' till they found out it was serious

I trust my Principal's judgment in this matter... She was not a woman swayed by emotions and had to be shown facts...

If students were called witches just because of one or two student account, then a lot of student would have gone home. We had the weird as they come. The School Authorities did not impose their 'ignorance' on the students... the students forced the SA to investigate and act.

Let's for the same of argument say this chick was not a witch. It is better for the School Authorities to err on the side of caution. She was placed with about 99 other girls in a dormitory and the School has the responsibility of protecting all students equally. If she has issues, it is the duty of her parents to care for her.

Let's disagree to agree.
Re: My Son Was Threatened In School by bukatyne(f): 2:29pm On May 04, 2015
Purist:

I don't.

You don't believe in adult witches?

Well well.
Re: My Son Was Threatened In School by Purist(m): 3:03pm On May 04, 2015
bukatyne:
@Purist:

I understand your lack of belief.

AS for gender... a witch is female... wizards are male cheesy

I was an eye witness in some of the instances and a lot of students were outside the Principal's office that day

But rather conveniently, not a single soul in the entire school actually SAW a snake. Listen, I've told you exactly what happened inside your principal's office that day. You can call her to ask and she'll confirm my account. cheesy cheesy

bukatyne:

We had the good, bad and ugly in my school... people saw black man etc. always... they were not labeled witches; some students were evil and did horrible things... nobody called them a witch... one of my colleagues used to have fainting spells where she just passes out after murmuring some stuffs.... we always rushed her to the sick bay. People had different illnesses/behaviors/attitudes... nobody called anyone a witch for all that

This girl was not poor or vulnerable... she was on top of her game. It was not an issue of picking on her. This babe said she could fly and it was initially treated as 'I am Obama's daughter' till they found out it was serious

She was clearly delirious. Did anyone ever see her fly? Was she ever recorded flying? Is there any proof that she could actually fly beyond her own claims?

Sounds like she suffered from Type I Bipolar Disorder (BPI), often accompanied by mania and delusions of grandeur. The same condition found in people who claim they're Jesus or Mohammed or some other famous figure.

Hallmark symptoms of mania include an abnormal, often expansive, and elevated mood lasting for at least 1 week. They may also include a decreased need for sleep, racing thoughts or a sense that thoughts are out of control, rapid and often pressured speech, increased goal-directed activities or projects, hypersexuality, reckless behaviors and risk-taking, and delusions of grandeur. Associated delusions frequently center on an expansive sense of self that goes well beyond narcissism (eg, believing oneself to have special powers or to be the chosen leader of the world or universe).
http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/913464-overview#a0101

bukatyne, this girl was no witch. She had a medical condition.

bukatyne:

I trust my Principal's judgment in this matter... She was not a woman swayed by emotions and had to be shown facts...

The cognitive bias I talked about earlier.

bukatyne:

If students were called witches just because of one or two student account, then a lot of student would have gone home. We had the weird as they come. The School Authorities did not impose their 'ignorance' on the students... the students forced the SA to investigate and act.

Let's for the same of argument say this chick was not a witch. It is better for the School Authorities to err on the side of caution. She was placed with about 99 other girls in a dormitory and the School has the responsibility of protecting all students equally. If she has issues, it is the duty of her parents to care for her.

Let's disagree to agree.

She could have been helped, not expelled. sad
Re: My Son Was Threatened In School by Purist(m): 3:09pm On May 04, 2015
bukatyne:

You don't believe in adult witches?

Well well.

Boarding schools in Nigeria are rife with these kinda paranormal-esque stories. I've heard countless tales, many even far more terrifying than yours. I have even "seen things" myself but the difference is I am able to recognize and acknowledge my own cognitive limitations.

There are no witches/wizards anywhere. Fear + Ignorance, however, is a very powerful and unfortunate combo.
Re: My Son Was Threatened In School by bukatyne(f): 3:13pm On May 04, 2015
Purist:

But rather conveniently, not a single soul in the entire school actually SAW a snake. Listen, I've told you exactly what happened inside your principal's office that day. You can call her to ask and she'll confirm my account. cheesy cheesy

She was clearly delirious. Did anyone ever see her fly? Was she ever recorded flying? Is there any proof that she could actually fly beyond her own claims?

Sounds like she suffered from Type I Bipolar Disorder (BPI), often accompanied by mania and delusions of grandeur. The same condition found in people who claim they're Jesus or Mohammed or some other famous figure.

Hallmark symptoms of mania include an abnormal, often expansive, and elevated mood lasting for at least 1 week. They may also include a decreased need for sleep, racing thoughts or a sense that thoughts are out of control, rapid and often pressured speech, increased goal-directed activities or projects, hypersexuality, reckless behaviors and risk-taking, and delusions of grandeur. Associated delusions frequently center on an expansive sense of self that goes well beyond narcissism (eg, believing oneself to have special powers or to be the chosen leader of the world or universe).
http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/913464-overview#a0101

bukatyne, this girl was no witch. She had a medical condition.

The cognitive bias I talked about earlier.

She could have been helped, not expelled. sad

If the woman who did not shed a tear publicly when she heard her daughter died and resumed after about a week ran out of her office without her iro, I am inclined to believe she saw a snake.

She was not delirious and nobody will wait to see her fly tongue

We had people claiming several things and no one was called a 'witch'.

The expelling or isolation (if there was a facility for such) was the best option.
Re: My Son Was Threatened In School by Purist(m): 3:23pm On May 04, 2015
bukatyne:

If the woman who did not shed a tear publicly when she heard her daughter died and resumed after about a week ran out of her office without her iro, I am inclined to believe she saw a snake.

She was not delirious and nobody will wait to see her fly tongue

We had people claiming several things and no one was called a 'witch'.

The expelling or isolation (if there was a facility for such) was the best option.

That your principal was tough does not mean she wasn't superstitious/mistaken/confused/etc. When did this incident happen? I'm guessing well over 10 years ago. You're asking us to rely on your anecdotal account of an incident from way back when most people don't even remember what they ate for breakfast 5 days ago. Did your principal claim to SEE a snake? Do you recall the exact words she uttered? Did you HEAR her personally narrate what transpired in that room?

Your principal was clearly in a state of panic. Whatever she narrated at the time should be taken with a pinch of salt anyways.

Nobody will wait to see her fly but they couldn't wait to label her a witch. tongue
Re: My Son Was Threatened In School by desirel: 9:01pm On May 04, 2015
you are working with children and don't know what to do when they bully? seriously?!? you should change your job!

1 Like

Re: My Son Was Threatened In School by rittyben(f): 8:41am On May 14, 2015
Thanks Guys. My son on his own just avoided Mark. I do not see them together anymore.

Thanks all
Re: My Son Was Threatened In School by Nobody: 10:32am On May 14, 2015
to prevent your son from thinking he doesn't need to tell you about his negative experiences at school cos you'll do nothing about it, you should act. I suggest you go to the school and ask the teacher or headmistress to call both of them and ask them to apologise to each other. The boy should be cautioned from using such language. he should be told that nice christian boys don't say things like that to their friends.

1 Like

Re: My Son Was Threatened In School by rittyben(f): 12:54pm On May 14, 2015
nickibarb:
to prevent your son from thinking he doesn't need to tell you about his negative experiences at school cos you'll do nothing about it, you should act. I suggest you go to the school and ask the teacher or headmistress to call both of them and ask them to apologise to each other. The boy should be cautioned from using such language. he should be told that nice christian boys don't say things like that to their friends.

ok. I work in the school too, but in the secondary part. Just think making a scene is not necessary. i will call both boys and talk to them sha
Re: My Son Was Threatened In School by Nobody: 2:18pm On May 14, 2015
rittyben:

ok. I work in the school too, but in the secondary part. Just think making a scene is not necessary. i will call both boys and talk to them sha

you don't have to make a scene to do something. if you ignore it, your son could learn to keep things away from you. the result = a terrible thing like threat of sexual abuse and the child keeps it to himself and tries to handle it his way.

1 Like

Re: My Son Was Threatened In School by rittyben(f): 3:02pm On May 15, 2015
nickibarb:

you don't have to make a scene to do something. if you ignore it, your son could learn to keep things away from you. the result = a terrible thing like threat of sexual abuse and the child keeps it to himself and tries to handle it his way.
Ok. thank will do that on Monday.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Divorce On The Rise In Nigeria: Why? / 23, Getting Married Soon / Her Fiancé Hates His Mother.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.