Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,339 members, 7,780,895 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 03:15 AM

How My Troops Stopped Biafran Soldiers At Ore —col. Iluyomade (rtd) - Politics (21) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How My Troops Stopped Biafran Soldiers At Ore —col. Iluyomade (rtd) (68851 Views)

How Nigerian Soldiers At The Battlefield Communicate With Their Commanders. PICS / Buhari To US: A Refusal To Arm My Troops Cos Of "So-called Human Rights Violat.. / Historical Photos Of Biafran Soldiers At A Military Base Near Owerri (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How My Troops Stopped Biafran Soldiers At Ore —col. Iluyomade (rtd) by kettykin: 7:04am On May 02, 2015
Those same troops that stopped biafra at ore did little or nothing besides shedding tears when it mattered most, when the field Marshall of yoruba land, the Aare ona kakanfo ,Obasanjo, Oladipo Diya, and other yoruba generals were hounded, arrested like teenagers ,condemned to death by hanging and kept in custody.

The comments here by some people show a one sided and pathetic reasoning where the same people who are yoruba first before becoming nigeria now choose to die for nigeria first and do nothing for the yoruba race

3 Likes

Re: How My Troops Stopped Biafran Soldiers At Ore —col. Iluyomade (rtd) by joyandfaith: 7:08am On May 02, 2015
success of biafra would have been solution to nigeria problems.
Re: How My Troops Stopped Biafran Soldiers At Ore —col. Iluyomade (rtd) by nisai: 12:36pm On May 02, 2015
[quote author=sukkot post=33290066] [b]right ? lmao. bros, word through the grapevine on why he got abandoned after the war is that people couldnt feel comfortable around him after seeing his exploits in the war. the guy is a deranged killer for real for real. so after seeing his exploits, dem fashi am, thinking this one na mad man ooooo lmao. the guy dey kill aanything breathing walking talking or smiling.lol.You wanna break my ribs.
Re: How My Troops Stopped Biafran Soldiers At Ore —col. Iluyomade (rtd) by sukkot: 1:45pm On May 02, 2015
[quote author=nisai post=33342221][/quote] grin grin wink
Re: How My Troops Stopped Biafran Soldiers At Ore —col. Iluyomade (rtd) by Jokay07(m): 1:52pm On May 02, 2015
missKiffy:
I like you for this quote
lolzz. Thanks baby
Re: How My Troops Stopped Biafran Soldiers At Ore —col. Iluyomade (rtd) by Jokay07(m): 1:53pm On May 02, 2015
So this topic generated 20 pages. grin
Re: How My Troops Stopped Biafran Soldiers At Ore —col. Iluyomade (rtd) by revolt(m): 3:50pm On May 02, 2015
Shirley07:

That's no business of mine. What were the ibo expecting when they were forming allies with the north to relegate the south? The eyes definately saw what it was looking for.
As far I'm concerned, Zik was the first to whip out tribal sentiment. How do you expect fellow nigerians, especially the north to react when Zik made dumb statements like ''Ibos are meant to dominate Nigeria'' or 'the future of Nigeria is in ibo hands''?
You people have always been causing trouble from time memorial and when dealt with in your own coins, you screamed murder.
You Ibos needs to work on yourself. Treat others the way you want to be treated!
the forever remain silent on the matter, cos u clearly know nuffn bout it ur like a historian tht abuses germany ( the allied propaganda tht russia was part of the gud guys , like britain , and co) for wwii wthout thinking bout what caused hitlers paranoia.
Re: How My Troops Stopped Biafran Soldiers At Ore —col. Iluyomade (rtd) by revolt(m): 3:52pm On May 02, 2015
Shirley07:

That's no business of mine. What were the ibo expecting when they were forming allies with the north to relegate the south? The eyes definately saw what it was looking for.
As far I'm concerned, Zik was the first to whip out tribal sentiment. How do you expect fellow nigerians, especially the north to react when Zik made dumb statements like ''Ibos are meant to dominate Nigeria'' or 'the future of Nigeria is in ibo hands''?
You people have always been causing trouble from time memorial and when dealt with in your own coins, you screamed murder.
You Ibos needs to work on yourself. Treat others the way you want to be treated!
the forever remain silent on the matter, cos u clearly know nuffn bout it ur like a historian tht abuses germany ( the allied propaganda tht ussr was part of the gud guys , like britain , and co) for wwii wthout thinking bout what caused hitlers paranoia.
Re: How My Troops Stopped Biafran Soldiers At Ore —col. Iluyomade (rtd) by Shirley07: 5:31pm On May 02, 2015
revolt:
the forever remain silent on the matter, cos u clearly know nuffn bout it ur like a historian tht abuses germany ( the allied propaganda tht russia was part of the gud guys , like britain , and co) for wwii wthout thinking bout what caused hitlers paranoia.
Here we go down the victim sentiment again. Just shut it already.
Were Ibos the only one that was malterated by the Hausa? If you must know, the yorubas were the first to ask for seccession because of how they were ill-treated by the North and East who formed allies together. The likes of Awolowo got jailed while Zik who was 10 times corrupt was painting the town red. There's also Gani Fawehinmi, the finest Nigeria politician ever who was disregarded and many more.
Do you know who prevented Yoruba from leaving? Zik. The yorubas could have acted foolishly back then like the biafrans did but they chose to consider the lives of their people unlike Ojukwu did.
As a matter of fact, even if the yorubas had gone to war then, I'm sure they won't invade neutral people's region as opposed to what biafrans did.
If we must go back to the history lane, Yorubas ought to be the one seeking apology from Nigerians, including the ibos but we're above such. Yorubas aren't children who throws tantrum around, we're much more matured.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How My Troops Stopped Biafran Soldiers At Ore —col. Iluyomade (rtd) by cbrass(m): 6:38pm On May 02, 2015
Shirley07:

Were Ibos the only one that was malterated by the Hausa? If you must know, the yorubas were the first to ask for seccession because of how they were ill-treated by the North and East who formed allies together. The likes of Awolowo got jailed while Zik who was 10 times corrupt was painting the town red. There's also Gani Fawehinmi, the finest Nigeria politician ever who was disregarded and many more.
Do you know who prevented Yoruba from leaving? Zik. The yorubas could have acted foolishly back then like the biafrans did but they chose to consider the lives of their people unlike Ojukwu did.
As a matter of fact, even if the yorubas had gone to war then, I'm sure they won't invade neutral people's region as opposed to what biafrans did.
If we must go back to the history lane, Yorubas ought to be the one seeking apology from Nigerians, including the ibos but we're above such. Yorubas aren't children who throws tantrum around, we're much more matured.

Bro you get time oo... don't waste your effort and MB on them. A crY baby will always be a cry baby grin

3 Likes

Re: How My Troops Stopped Biafran Soldiers At Ore —col. Iluyomade (rtd) by xenten: 8:28pm On May 02, 2015
DelticStephEn:

boy,the land u are talking abt were u d one dat paid its money for us?
did u allow us to thrive in ur land for free?
are u d one paying our house rent?
are u d one dat bought d land for us?
are u d one feeding us with ur own money?
then y then are u relating allowing us to thrive in ur land with cowardice?
then wat should we be gr8ful to u for?
boy u no get talk at all.
come to delta state & see ur yoruba brodas working in oil sectors /firms here. & we ar not complaining or threatening dem.
but dat my igbo bodas are hustling in a land they paid d money for,paid their tax,feed demsef,paid for their house rent,
& u lazy yorubas are making noise evry where to be gr 8ful to u & also vote. 4 ur candidate or else u through dem in a lagoon.
hehehehehe,more develop dan us?
guy no dey disgrace urself here.
is there any development in yoruba land apart from lagos?
& dat is. Y evry yoruba are claiming to be a lagosian.
just take a look at d typ of house u yorubas are still building & living in in dis. 21st century.
mud house with rusty red zinc.
is dat wat u called development?
God forbid. am sure u are typing from one of those mud house with rusty red zinc,dats y u hvn't step ur foot in delta state to. see tins for ursef. & how developed we are.
as 4 d creek,it 's only meant 4 MEN. & not cowards.
u shuld also try being a man by coming for excusion at d creek sumtym.
it is called tourism & as for d Oil,datz one of d major reasons u lazy bastard(yorubas) kip clamouring for one nigeria.
hhehehehe. .my God,
dis boys are funny.

deltic babe, or whatever u call urself. did we invite you to come to lagos? we are bastards. we agree. but you cannot stay off our lands. if you so developed, go back and live in your creeks. ask what the favorite pastime of your ancestors is. drinking cheap home brew dirty ogoro.

looking at you, you are a little girl being spoon fed by some silly maga. thatz why you can reason upside down.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: How My Troops Stopped Biafran Soldiers At Ore —col. Iluyomade (rtd) by revolt(m): 11:47pm On May 02, 2015
Shirley07:

is ur brain upside down? What maltreatment? Awo committed treason and planned to topple the govt and went to jail is that maltreatment? Now over, 50 thousand igbos had been slaughtered from 1948 till 1966.. The 66 saga was so vicious nearly every family was affected, yet igbos ddidnt go to war, ojukwu and gowon signed the aburi accord, all nigerians turned a blind eye wen it was truncated!! Why !! because they felt it was an igbo probs..ironically u clowns are now asking for the same structuring the aburi was drawn on...spkn of shootn yasefs in the foot cos of hate n envy.
Fed govt attacked biafra wht were they supposed to do? So stop tlkn rubbsh. Its quite funny the 1st coup was aimed at bringn in awo as president.. Ironically.
Re: How My Troops Stopped Biafran Soldiers At Ore —col. Iluyomade (rtd) by Shirley07: 9:45am On May 03, 2015
revolt:
is ur brain upside down? What maltreatment? Awo committed treason and planned to topple the govt and went to jail is that maltreatment? Now over, 50 thousand igbos had been slaughtered from 1948 till 1966.. The 66 saga was so vicious nearly every family was affected, yet igbos ddidnt go to war, ojukwu and gowon signed the aburi accord, all nigerians turned a blind eye wen it was truncated!! Why !! because they felt it was an igbo probs.. ironically u clowns are now asking for the same structuring the aburi was drawn on...spkn of shootn yasefs in the foot cos of hate n envy.
Fed govt attacked biafra wht were they supposed to do? So stop tlkn rubbsh. Its quite funny the 1st coup was aimed at bringn in awo as president.. Ironically.
You are not serious. You were expecting Yorubas to plead for your stupid biafra cause when Zik was the first to stop yoruba seccession? Not to forget your people constant allies with the north to relegate the south region and you want the west to fight for you? You're an eediot.
I really don't know what you were expecting from the north people when your people were killing their leaders, mocking them and making tribal comments like ''Ibos will be the one to dominate Nigerians'' or ''the future of Nigeria is in ibo hands''.
If yorubas who didn't do these stupid things were ill-treated by the north/ibo leaders yet chose to avoid war because their peoples' lives are so precious, then I don't see why Ibos should. But since you people decided to act foolishily, you deserved everything you got.
Let me ask you, why did your people invade the west/Benin? Shouldn't you be going to the north who had grudges against you and considering that, Banjo, a yoruba man was championing your biafra cause? If that's not selfish, backstabbing and greedy agenda, then I don't know what it is. It isn't something new though, your people are known for such things but you people have to stop playing victims when you are dealt with in your own coins.
An eye for an eye!
A tooth for a tooth!
N.B: The underlined part of your post made me laugh.. I wonder what kind of tales you people got from your uncles and fore fathers? Wanted to make Awolowo the president? Where did that come from? Lol..
You mean Awolowo who would have been killed in the first coup if he wasn't jailed? You mean Ojukwu who refused to set Awolowo free while setting free his prison members during your stupid biafra wants Awolowo to be the president? You dey craze.
Ibos and lies are really synonymous.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: How My Troops Stopped Biafran Soldiers At Ore —col. Iluyomade (rtd) by revolt(m): 3:05pm On May 03, 2015
Shirley07:

You are not serious. You were expecting Yorubas to plead for your stupid biafra cause when Zik was the first to stop yoruba seccession? Not to forget your people constant allies with the north to relegate the south region and you want the west to fight for you? You're an eediot.
I really don't know what you were expecting from the north people when your people were killing their leaders, mocking them and making tribal comments like ''Ibos will be the one to dominate Nigerians'' or ''the future of Nigeria is in ibo hands''.
If yorubas who didn't do these stupid things were ill-treated by the north/ibo leaders yet chose to avoid war because their peoples' lives are so precious, then I don't see why Ibos should. But since you people decided to act foolishily, you deserved everything you got.
Let me ask you, why did your people invade the west/Benin? Shouldn't you be going to the north who had grudges against you and considering that, Banjo, a yoruba man was championing your biafra cause? If that's not selfish, backstabbing and greedy agenda, then I don't know what it is. It isn't something new though, your people are known for such things but you people have to stop playing victims when you are dealt with in your own coins.
An eye for an eye!
A tooth for a tooth!
N.B: The underlined part of your post made me laugh.. I wonder what kind of tales you people got from your uncles and fore fathers? Wanted to make Awolowo the president? Where did that come from? Lol..
You mean Awolowo who would have been killed in the first coup if he wasn't jailed? You mean Ojukwu who refused to set Awolowo free while setting free his prison members during your stupid biafra wants Awolowo to be the president? You dey craze.
Ibos and lies are really synonymous.
awo was in calabar prison. In the then eastern region under ojukwu. And he was released,,, u simply cnt reason.

The northern leaders died after they'd instigated pogroms for over 20yrs, the west was affected cos akintola was also preachn hate n violence, and he was the only casualty cos he resisted arrest, the others were nt killed.

Nonetheless, after killing ironsi n the ibo officers how do u xplain soldiers gunning down igbo civilians. Your animalistic sentimnt wud justify the killing of preg women, children, innocent men to satisfy ur stupod bigotry. I'm done here.
Re: How My Troops Stopped Biafran Soldiers At Ore —col. Iluyomade (rtd) by Shirley07: 4:47pm On May 03, 2015
revolt:
awo was in calabar prison. In the then eastern region under ojukwu. And he was released,,, u simply cnt reason.

The northern leaders died after they'd instigated pogroms for over 20yrs, the west was affected cos akintola was also preachn hate n violence, and he was the only casualty cos he resisted arrest, the others were nt killed.

Nonetheless, after killing ironsi n the ibo officers how do u xplain soldiers gunning down igbo civilians. Your animalistic sentimnt wud justify the killing of preg women, children, innocent men to satisfy ur stupod bigotry. I'm done here.
Same way you justified the actions of biafrans killing innocent people in Lagos, Ore, Benin e.t.c.
FYI, Awolowo was released by Gowon, dummy.
Let me also tell you the northerner wouldn't have introduced progroms if your people had learned to live respectively on other people's lands rather than making tribal statements like ''ibos are better, will dominate and the future in Nigeria is in their hands''. Can't you understand this or are you naturally stupid?
Also, It's not just about the yorubas, what about the Urhobo/Edo leaders that were killed in the 1st coup? What made them sinners and the ibos saint? Mtchew..

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How My Troops Stopped Biafran Soldiers At Ore —col. Iluyomade (rtd) by revolt(m): 5:29pm On May 03, 2015
Shirley07:

Same way you justified the actions of biafrans killing innocent people in Lagos, Ore, Benin e.t.c.
FYI, Awolowo was released by Gowon, dummy.
Let me also tell you the northerner wouldn't have introduced progroms if your people had learned to live respectively on other people's lands rather than making tribal statements like ''ibos are better, will dominate and the future in Nigeria is in their hands''. Can't you understand this or are you naturally stupid?
Also, It's not just about the yorubas, what about the Urhobo/Edo leaders that were killed in the 1st coup? What made them sinners and the ibos saint? Mtchew..
expected from a lousy historian!! Awo was in calabar he couldn't hve been released from lagos!!!

All federal establishments were under his jurisdiction..
The. Northerners killed ibos cos they dnt know how to live......... Lousy analysis. Anyways wallow in ur bigotry.

Jes dnt tlk bout true federalism.
Re: How My Troops Stopped Biafran Soldiers At Ore —col. Iluyomade (rtd) by Shirley07: 5:59pm On May 03, 2015
revolt:
expected from a lousy historian!! Awo was in calabar he couldn't hve been released from lagos!!!

All federal establishments were under his jurisdiction..
The. Northerners killed ibos cos they dnt know how to live......... Lousy analysis. Anyways wallow in ur bigotry.

Jes dnt tlk bout true federalism.
You're the bigot because you thought of yourself only, not others. While you are playing the victim card, remember that others suffered and died during the civil war.
For the records, Awolowo wasn't in Lagos prison, he was in the east and Ojukwu released the ibo prisoner in the east. Don't forget these ibo prisoners shouldn't have been in the east in the first, if Ironsi was fair.
Edited.

3 Likes

Re: How My Troops Stopped Biafran Soldiers At Ore —col. Iluyomade (rtd) by Nobody: 6:13pm On May 03, 2015
Federal forces fought the Biafra rebels,its funny how tribes are taking credit for it.

Gowon was the President and commandered federal troops against the Biafra fighters,pls NLers should be more informed.
Re: How My Troops Stopped Biafran Soldiers At Ore —col. Iluyomade (rtd) by revolt(m): 10:05pm On May 03, 2015
Shirley07:

You're the bigot because you thought of yourself only, not others. While you are playing the victim card, remember that others suffered and died during the civil war.
For the records, Awolowo wasn't in Lagos prison, he was in the east and Ojukwu released the ibo prisoner in the east. Don't forget these ibo prisoners shouldn't have been in the east in the first, if Ironsi was fair.
Edited.
mr !!! Ironsi did not jail awo, tafaw did, he was convicted for. Treason. Now if ud look at my post ud see clearly I hve nvr faulted other etnicities actions during the civil war.... All my post r pre civil war periods.

In war there's always collateral damage etc
Re: How My Troops Stopped Biafran Soldiers At Ore —col. Iluyomade (rtd) by Macford(m): 10:22pm On May 03, 2015
Biafran soldiers didn't capture Ore because of Victor Banjo's decision to delay his troops in Ore contrary to Ojukwu's instructions. Victor Banjo was busy celebrating the capture of the Mid West and declaring it an independent Mid West instead of proceeding to attack as was the original plan.
Re: How My Troops Stopped Biafran Soldiers At Ore —col. Iluyomade (rtd) by emmatok(m): 11:56pm On May 03, 2015
[s]
Macford:
Biafran soldiers didn't capture Ore because of Victor Banjo's decision to delay his troops in Ore contrary to Ojukwu's instructions. Victor Banjo was busy celebrating the capture of the Mid West and declaring it an independent Mid West instead of proceeding to attack as was the original plan.
[/s]
Re: How My Troops Stopped Biafran Soldiers At Ore —col. Iluyomade (rtd) by fuckerholic(m): 9:45pm On May 12, 2015
ayusco85:

U igbos are just plain rude, filled with hate and so annoying. U haven't moved on from the losses incured from the civil war. U can't continue living like this. Stop the hate arrgance. U shld be mad at ur Ojukwu for misleadiing u lots, not the hausas and yorubas.
I hate yorubas with passion..hausas are better in terms of lifestyle and co existence.the only problem they have is religious fanatism
Re: How My Troops Stopped Biafran Soldiers At Ore —col. Iluyomade (rtd) by ayusco85(m): 11:11pm On May 12, 2015
fuckerholic:

I hate yorubas with passion..hausas are better in terms of lifestyle and co existence.the only problem they have is religious fanatism

Am neither yoruba nor hausa. Am just stating the obvious

1 Like

Re: How My Troops Stopped Biafran Soldiers At Ore —col. Iluyomade (rtd) by zimoni(f): 10:49am On May 13, 2015
T9ksy:

Oooops my bad...............please check page 5 (of 16) of the link i supplied and whilst at it, do also check the date -Aug 10, 1967. At the time in question, gowon was still pu.s.sy -footing about with the rebels insisting on a "police action" will suffice in quelling the rebellion meanwhile, ojukwu was already dropping bombs onto Lagos, killing yorubas who had nothing to do with the northerners who butchered his people in the north in their tens of thousands, like roaches.

Lord Jesus.

So, they started bombing Lagos even before the war started?

Too badt.

I think Ojukwu got the strategy wrong. Anyway, it's become history and I believe we've all learnt our lessons.

It is well.
Re: How My Troops Stopped Biafran Soldiers At Ore —col. Iluyomade (rtd) by Midas02(m): 2:37pm On May 31, 2015
Generally, I do not engage myself in this mindless arguments that are based on nothing but fallacies, ethnic bigotry and tribalist agendas. There is generally nothing to be gleaned or learned from such arguments because the argument often degenerates to that of 'ethnic supremacy' rather than having intelligent and enlightening discussions about historical facts which has over the years become less and less understood being distorted and macerated with many fallacious claims and quite a lot of deliberate and mischievous misrepresentations! Nigeria has failed to document its own history and in the rare instance when we do get the opportunity to get a glimpse into what actually occurred, with narratives and accounts being given by those who were there as actual participants, what often follows is that rather than listen and learn something or even prod for more information, what you typically see is this mindless argument that was just concluded (20 pages worth of mindless drivel) - not a single attempt to cross-check or cross reference information and establish truth! I have to shake my head for this generation of Nigerians!

Here is an extract from the Archives of United States Army Military intelligence Report. Report is published by Marine Corps Command and Staff College. Document is dated April 1, 1984. Credited author is STAFFORD, Michael R., Major, United States Army.

“One bright spot for the Biafrans appeared on July 21,
1967 when a World War II American-made B-26 bomber piloted by
a Polish expatriot, called "Kamikaze" Brown, bombed and
strafed Federal positions at Obukpa. This greatly lifted
Biafran morale (7), but offered ominous clouds for future
events. Both Great Britain and the Untied States had
rejected Nigerian requests for aircraft. By July 31 Nigerian
representatives were reported in Moscow (8.) and expansion of
the war's lethality was imminent. (Note: Arms supply was a
major part of a critical issue, outside intervention, which
dominated international discussion of the Nigerian Civil
War.)
Another event which portended the calamities to follow
was the amphibious assault on and capture of the Island of
Bonny at the mouth of the Port Harcourt Harbor. This Federal
operation was important for two reasons. First, it
demonstrated a boldness, fluidity and imagination seldom seen
in Federal operations. The Bonny assault was not remarkable
in its execution; however, the operation was in marked
contrast to the "skirmishes, slow, cautious probes, and long
distance bombardments of doubtful object with doubtful
accuracy [and an] incredible amount of aimless and wasteful
shooting" (9) which dominated the northern battlefields. On
Bonny a 1000 man invasion force loaded on two ships
overwhelmed a company--sized garrison after a limited naval
bombardment. Destroyed was Biafra's only real naval vessel,
a Nigerian patrol boat seized at secession; more important,
Port Harcourt, the major port and oil terminal in Biafra, was
effectively sealed off.
This leads to the second importance of the Bonny
capture. It pinpoints the failure of Biafran leaders to
appreciate the incredible consequence of losing their sea
lines of communications. They did not see the need to secure
adequate sea power before the war began and were unable to
correct their shortcoming when it became apparent how serious
the Federals were about enforcing their blockade of the
Biafran coastline. The New York Times noted at this stage of
the war that Biafra had a "better-than-even chance of
survival" ...but that it was... "clear, that the East cannot
survive for many months unless the naval blockade is
broken."(10) Instead of confronting this problem, however
the Biafrans turned inward.
The Midwestern Invasion (August-September 1967). The two
forces fought tentatively through July of 1967 and into
August, with the Federals steadily gaining ground. Then the
Biafrans, who had seemed interested only in a defensive war,
launched an attack into the Midwestern State. This marked
the turning point in the war, as the Rebels gambled on a
disastrous offensive campaign.
"We have no territorial ambitions. We do not want to
capture anybody or punish anybody. We just want to be left
alone,"(11) Ojukwu wrote. The drive into the Midwest,
however, stood in stark contrast to this claim, Biafra had
moved boldly beyond simply protecting the Ibo enclave and
seized the initiative, taking the war to the Federals. The
objectives of the strike were lightning attacks on, and the
capture of, the Federal capital of Lagos and the Western
State capital of Ibadan. The occupation of these two
capitals was expected to cause an immediate collapse of the
Federal government and an end to the war. But the way the
Rebel forces spread throughout the region, it is clear that
Ojukwa had other objectives in their advance. Among these
were establishment of internal control of the Midwestern
State and limited prosecution of the war into the Northern
State.
The execution of the plan higlighted the incompetence
of the strategic planners in Biafra. Just as they failed to
fully grasp the implications of a naval blockade, they lacked
the professional skills and imagination (and patience, and
resources) to coordinate an effective attack. The plan took
advantage of the sparse Federal forces which were thinly
spread throughout the region in small garrisons, more an
internal security force than an army. But the plan did not
correctly account for many of the non-military factors
bearing on the situation, nor did it have sufficient
flexibility to confront in any realistic sense changing
conditions.
The Midwestern State was in a precarious position, a
small, wealthy area caught between the secessionist Ibo and
the Federal captial of Lagos. In its boundaries were some
800,000 Ibo who could be expected to have sympathies for the
East. Primarily agrarian, the region was rich in palm oil,
rubber and timber, while oil was a growing resource.
One-third of Nigeria's 1967 production and one-half of her
reserves were located here. This made the Midwest a
desirable property for both sides.(12)
At 3 a.m. on August 9, a 100 vehicle column (about 1000
men) crossed the Onitsha Bridge over the Niger River. Within
hours Rebel troops occupied the Midwest captial of Benin,
while others had fanned out towards Okene (see Map IV) in the
north, Owo, also north, and Sapele and Warri to the south.
The takeover was facilitated by an insurrection of Ibo-led
troops in the region and few shots were actually fired.
Evidence is strong that Federal military leaders of Ibo
origin secretly collaborated with the Biafrans, providing
intelligence on Federal troop dispositions and coordinating a
revolt from Nigeria in conjunction with the offensive.(13)
As a result, operational security and surprise were achieved.
The inital success of the raids, coupled with an August 11
air attack on Lagos, had a devastating psychological effect
on the Federal side.
In compensation for the tremendous security surrounding
the operation, the Biafrans delayed the formation of their
brigade-sized task force, conducted no rehersal and even
withheld appointment of the task force commander until the
day before the attack.(14) This demonstrated a lack of
appreciation for the necessity of building teamwork and
cohesion in military units and entered several unknowns into
the Midwest operational equation.
a. Lieutenant Colonel Victor Banjo, a Yoruba, was
selected to be the operational commander for politcal
reasons rather than his military skills. There was a belief
that a non-Ibo leader would help gain Midwest and Western
support for the Biafran attack and in the end, help unite all
of the South against the North. This not withsanding, Banjo
ignored his principal objective, Lagos, and twice held up his
advance. At Benin he halted to "reorganize" his forces,
though they had not fired a shot. Time was lost in an
argument between Benin and Enugu over who was to be the new
governor of the region.(15) After three days the Rebels
advanced on to the west before stopping at Ore. Forgeting
that their success depended on speed, the Biafrans were
hesitant to face the uncertainty of continued advance.(16)
Lack of agrresive leadership and unity of purpose resulted
in a two week delay after which the Rebels lost the
initiative.
b. The shock of the invasion and the lack of discipline
displayed by Biafran soldiers produced adverse results. The
support expected for the Midwest Ibo did not materialize as
expected, and the negative reaction by non-Ibo in the Midwest
and West was far worse than anticipated. It evidenced a
political blindness in the Biafran leadership akin to their
military shortcomings. John de St. Horre notes that this
political blindness was "too often repeated to be a chance
phenomenon."(17)
c. The political "wheeling and dealing" that took place
in Benin over control of the region, at the expense of
military objectives, lent a suspicious cast to the Biafran
leadership. The motives and actions of all officers became
suspect because of the rumor of "saboteurs" within the
leadersip.(18) This prejudgement severely hampered command
and control in Biafra thereafter and is discussed in Chapter
d. The Biafrans probably lacked the capability to
conduct such an offensive operation. In his book, Reluctant
Rebel, Fola Oyewole details the lack of preparation for the
Midwest offensive by his company. Here is a summary of one
episode. Upon his return from a battalion field exercise, he
was ordered to form a new company at Onitsha. He delivered
his car and possessions to family members in that city and
reported immediately to his battalion. Within hours he moved
to the Midwest. His unit's mission was the capture of the
army barracks at Ugbelli. With an officer cadet as his
executive officer and no experienced noncommissioned
officers, the company was bused to the objective area. Ten
miles from Ugbelli, he stopped the column and provided a
short briefing, though he was without intelligence or
reconnasissance. Fortunately there was no opposition at the
objective. Even so, the untrained and undisciplined troops
engaged in sporatic firing which resulted in one wound.(19)
Such episodes illustrate just how unprepared the Rebels were
for the war. The vehicles used for the attack included
homemade armored cars, farm trucks and passenger cars. The
Biafran soldiers were poorly equipped, and many were without
uniforms. They were lucky to meet only token resistance from
the few Federal Forces.
From the Federal side, the Midwest Invasion achieved one
significant result. It broke the complacency surrounding the
Federal war effort, and unified the ojectives of Lagos, the
West and the North. The entire country was intimidation by
the aggressiveness of the Eastern Ibo and the response was
immediate. In a demand for Federal action, anti-Ibo riots
broke out in Lagos and Ibadan. A dawn-to-dusk curfew was
imposed at Ibadan, and troops and armored cars presented a
show of force in Lagos to buoy public confidence.
Militarily, the reaction was more substantive. A war
cabinet was formed in Lagos. Remaining Federal forces
operating in the Midwest fell back to blocking positions,
most notably to the south of Ore about 120 miles from Lagos
on the overland axis of advance from Benin. There they were
reinforced by a company of Federal Guards from Lagos. A new
unit, 2 Division, commanded by then Lieutenant Colonel
Murtala Mohammed, sent its 7 Brigade to Ore (Iluyomade's brigade), while the 6 and
8 Brigades were placed on the northern border of the Midwest
to occupy the Biafran's right flank.
Lagos must have been reminiscent of Paris and her taxis
during the first battle of the Marne. Ground wagons and red-
and-silver buses delivered soldiers from Lagos to the front.
Six hundred soldiers were recalled from Bonny, and 500 more
were moved by rail from Kaduna in the north. The war in the
north of Biafra slowed as attention and resources were drawn
to overcome the threat in the Midwest. Nigeria's leading
playwright, Wole Soyinka, observed that "the short, surgical
police action is being conducted with blunt and unsterile
scapels."(20)
By mid-August, blown bridges and their own hesitation
had stopped the Biafrans. The very factor which had hampered
the Federal offensive earlier, long lines of communcations,
now was a problem for the Rebels. A small force from the
beginning, it was stretched too far to withstand the growing
Federal pressure.
Abruptly, the Rebel offensive ended as the Federals took
the initiative. After a single, fierce, battalion-level,
infantry battle at Foriku (probably meant 'Ofusu'), just south of Ore, Biafran
resistance faded into an "accelerating retreat" characterized
by minor delaying actions, blown bridges and cratered
roads.(21) The two northern brigades were in a race to
outflank the Biafrans and cut off their retreat to the Niger
River Bridge at Onitsha. In their haste, the Biafrans left
behind many soldiers who did not receive word to withdraw and
were consequently captured. Benin was evacuated days before
the Federals arrived. The remnants of the invading force
crossed the Niger Bridge at Onitsha, blowing two spans in
their passing. The destruction of the bridge, a giant
edifice commemorative of Nigerian progress, was symbolic of a
final isolation for Biafra and a new and deadlier phase of
the war.
From the Midwest Invasion the Biafrans had hoped to show
the world that they were a legitimate power deserving of
international recognition; instead the foray ended with
disaster. The Rebels gained some food, materiel, and the
assets of the Bank of Benin which were expropriated in the
occupation. But the losses far overshadowed those minor
gains:
a. The Federals declared all out war, launching the
first air strikes of the war at Enugu, Onitsha, Port Harcourt
and Calabar among others.(22)
b. The Biafrans removed the buffer of the midwest
state. All sympathy in the South was lost as non-Ibo became
pro-Federals. Additionally, the blockade became more
effective as trade that had flourished in the Niger died.(23)
c. The loss of resources, men and materiel, in the
Midwest hastened the fall of Enugu. The withdrawal of these
assets had weakened the defense of the northern region. When
these forces did not return and the Federals resumed their
advance with a rekindled fervor, the early fall of the
Biafran capital was assured.(24)
d. Finally, the initiative was surrendered to the
Federals. With the offensive they initiated in mid-August,
the Federals began to display their superiority. The
conflict slowed to the plodding war of attrition that would
continue for over two years. The norther border was closed
by the Nigerian 1 Division, the Midwestern Region had been
clearly by 2 Division, and the Navy had blockaded most of the
sea approaches. The Cameroons had closed their rugged border
in June 1967, and the noose was slowly tightened by the
Federals.”
Re: How My Troops Stopped Biafran Soldiers At Ore —col. Iluyomade (rtd) by Remarkable: 3:26pm On May 31, 2015
zimoni:

Lord Jesus.

So, they started bombing Lagos even before the war started?

Too badt.

I think Ojukwu got the strategy wrong. Anyway, it's become history and I believe we've all learnt our lessons.

It is well.

Why not ask that girl to post a link to reference her claims, instead of believeing everything she says? That is what an intelligent person would do, unlike a child that believes in toothfairies, Santa etc... don't take a word she says to you without cross-checking for yourself; its dangerous believing pathological liars.
Re: How My Troops Stopped Biafran Soldiers At Ore —col. Iluyomade (rtd) by Nobody: 12:41am On Jun 17, 2015
Aren't you ashamed th unprepared men, and youths, ill-equiped and untrained shake the whole world for years?

It only took the grace of Gowon for Gowon, Danjuma, Obasanjo etc to survive at Abagana, Anambra state.

Biafra troops still remain the best Army!

Ask your father about 'ogbunigwe'

1 Like

Re: How My Troops Stopped Biafran Soldiers At Ore —col. Iluyomade (rtd) by Rilwayne001: 11:43am On Aug 13, 2015
chiefinalowo:
biafran soldiers were visionless..
Can you imagine biafran soldiers were going to the Great Yorubaland to fight Federal Forces with Cassava sticks.

grin grin Blame Ojuiku for that.

4 Likes

Re: How My Troops Stopped Biafran Soldiers At Ore —col. Iluyomade (rtd) by Obiobi8(m): 2:34pm On Jan 07, 2016
Bunch of bullshit..

So now Igbos wanted to conquer the entire world??

The simple fact that there are creatures in this world who have managed to convince themselves that Igbos and Biafrans are the bad guys of the situation really reveals a lot about the level of mental handicap that is abundant in that cursed region call ed North and West Nigeria..

You people are all mentally disabled..

But it will soon be over..

Your bullshit has carried on for long enough!!
Re: How My Troops Stopped Biafran Soldiers At Ore —col. Iluyomade (rtd) by T8ksy(m): 5:13pm On Jan 07, 2016
Obiobi8:
Bunch of bullshit..

So now Igbos wanted to conquer the entire world??

The simple fact that there are creatures in this world who have managed to convince themselves that Igbos and Biafrans are the bad guys of the situation really reveals a lot about the level of mental handicap that is abundant in that cursed region call ed North and West Nigeria..

You people are all mentally disabled..

But it will soon be over..

Your bullshit has carried on for long enough!!

And who actually inferred that ibos wanted to conquer the whole world?

Even ordinary yoruballand they couldn't conquer let alone the whole world.

However, we all still remember clearly, how you guys were boasting as far back as 1945 that you are going to dominate Nigeria in a short while.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How My Troops Stopped Biafran Soldiers At Ore —col. Iluyomade (rtd) by Obiobi8(m): 6:34pm On Jan 07, 2016
T8ksy:

And who actually inferred that ibos wanted to conquer the whole world?

Even ordinary yoruballand they couldn't conquer let alone the whole world.

However, we all still remember clearly, how you guys were boasting as far back as 1945 that you are going to dominate Nigeria in a short while.

I fail to detect any sense in that statement..
And in the unintelligible conclusions you derive from that statement..
Re: How My Troops Stopped Biafran Soldiers At Ore —col. Iluyomade (rtd) by OROSUNBOLB(m): 3:09pm On Dec 24, 2019

We wanted to liberate Lagos from the northerners; lack of good weapons was our bane in that war.

No ! You wanted to harness all the resources of Nigeria for yourself only. You guys are greedy.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (Reply)

Youths Erect Peter Obi's Billboard In Osun (pictures) / Emmanuel Ifeajuna: Commonwealth Games Gold To Facing A Firing Squad / After SARS Ending, Angry Officer Shoots In Heavy Traffic In Ibadan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 118
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.