Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,330 members, 7,780,857 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 12:54 AM

6 Reasons Why Rochas Okorocha Was Re-elected As Imo State Governor - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 6 Reasons Why Rochas Okorocha Was Re-elected As Imo State Governor (985 Views)

The IPOB Protester Against Okorocha Was Handcuffed By London Police (video) / Why Rochas Okorocha Is The Best Governor Nigeria Ever Had(picturs) / Why Rochas Okorocha Won (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

6 Reasons Why Rochas Okorocha Was Re-elected As Imo State Governor by Jimiyke(m): 11:34am On Apr 29, 2015
1. Performance: Any honest person who has witnessed the developments in Imo state since Okorocha first became governor, will agree that the man is working. From construction of many hitherto bad roads to erection of beautiful edifices all around the state, Okorocha is fast transforming Imo state. Today Imo state is the only Nigerian state that boasts of free education for its citizenry up to tertiary level. A whole book can be written about Okorocha’s achievements in Imo state. These developments, people know and want to continue in Imo state hence the massive support.

2. The angel you know…: Okorocha was able to win inspite of the fiery propaganda from his opponent, who also has a strong political backbone simple because many Imolites would rather support a man whom they have tried and tested than one who was only coming with a bogus promises. What if Ihedioha becomes the governor and cancel the free education in the state? Many parents who have up to five children in school knows the big burden Okorocha’s free education has been relieving them of. The state educational sysem was facing serious issues before Rochas became governor. Imo state University fees for instance was always skyrocketing consistently before Okorocha came on board.

3. Grassroot Love: Rochas is a man strongly adored in Imo state by the common man owing to his people friendly projects. He is more accessible than previous governors in the state. He is so adored by the common man and close to them that his popular chant; “My people, My People” for which his “people” always excitedly ever ready to shout back “My Governor, My Governor”. On the street of Imo, an average man will always have something good to say about Rochas. Imolites voted Rochas as a person and not APC, afterall he defeated a sitting PDP governor (Ohakim) under the platform of APGA in 2011. The massive hate Propaganda is believed to be emanating from Imo elites who the governor prevented from dipping into the state funds like they were doing with previous administrations before him.

4. Desire for a federal opportunity: Many people who voted believed there will be more development in Imo state now that the state is in line with Federal Government. Here is one point Okorocha will have to prove right.
Advertisement

5. Okorocha style: From the onset, Okorocha has always proven that he is a smart politician. The fact that Okorocha defeated PDP within four years with two different parties, goes to show that he knows what he is doing. He knew where he was heading when he left APGA even despite all opposition and accusation of betrayal. One just have to give it to some politicians who know how they do their own thing.

6. Desire to have a igbo president: It is believed that the Igbos have been long marginalised at the helm of affairs. The much yearned positioning of the Igbos at the centre of government after Buhari makes Rochas appeal to many Imolites as the needed candidates to remain in his position till that time comes. Whether this is will be possible or not, a lot of Igbos believe that it is their turn after Buhari and that Rochas is the easiest candidate for the Number 1 seat of the nation, or at least number two.

Meanwhile, Okorocha has dared Ihedioha to contest the results of the Imo state re-run elections at the elections petitions tribunal.
Re: 6 Reasons Why Rochas Okorocha Was Re-elected As Imo State Governor by drtwist(m): 11:35am On Apr 29, 2015
Rocha has been reelected stop the APC propaganda that won't lead Nigeria forward. amongs the south east gov Rocha is the most overhype by the media. go to imo ask if I'm saying the inverse.
Re: 6 Reasons Why Rochas Okorocha Was Re-elected As Imo State Governor by ilovecritics(m): 11:38am On Apr 29, 2015
Re: 6 Reasons Why Rochas Okorocha Was Re-elected As Imo State Governor by socialmediaman: 11:41am On Apr 29, 2015
I agree with many of the points, especially 2 and 4, but let me highlight more on number 2.

Firstly, Rochas has many enemies in Imo, he started very well at first, then slowed down, then created name as the biggest landlord in Imo. Despite these, many people voted him back because of the reasons you mentioned. I want to highlight more on number 2:

2. The Devil You know: Ihedioha did not represent the change people wanted in Imo. Okorocha may have shortfalls, but he changed from the usual style of all previous PDP governments who were focused on an "elite" system government where a certain group of elites are usually the beneficiaries of government. Now the government workers, even commissioners don't earn more than their salaries, thanks to Owelle. He also stopped the issue of owing workers salaries, especially teachers. The free education at the primary and secondary school levels too are benefiting so many families, the tertiary school level has clauses which i don't want to dwell on, however, it has benefitted Imo people immensely. What was Ihedioha's antecedents? He probably thought that federal might would deliver the state to him, no thanks to the ousted PDP government at the federal level

With the PDP government losing out at the Federal level too, they felt the PDP gamble was over.
Re: 6 Reasons Why Rochas Okorocha Was Re-elected As Imo State Governor by emyibe(m): 11:48am On Apr 29, 2015
GEJ OUR NEXT UN SEC GEN! HOW IT WILL HAPPEN I DO NOT KNOW. BUT WILL IT HAPPEN? YES IT WILL.

(1) (Reply)

Senate President: Buhari Foundation Urges Support For @bukolasaraki / A Reply To Wole Soyinka By Eng-chime Chinedu Enoch M (englishman) / Audu Declares For Kogi Governorship Seat

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.