Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,491 members, 7,808,818 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:22 PM

Salary Scale Of Lecturers In Nigerian Universities - Career (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Salary Scale Of Lecturers In Nigerian Universities (88061 Views)

GT Bank Nigeria Salary Scale: How Much Does Guaranty Trust Pay Their Staff? / Diamond Bank Salary Scale: How Much Does Diamond Bank Pay Staff? / Like Hw Much Is The Salary Scale Of Radio OAP (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Salary Scale Of Lecturers In Nigerian Universities by nigerfine: 4:43pm On Apr 30, 2015
Salary of lecturers can't come close to a well established small business anywhere in the world.
Re: Salary Scale Of Lecturers In Nigerian Universities by Nobody: 4:58pm On Apr 30, 2015
WhyAWhy:

You can't use glassdoor as a guide. This is a more verifiable source - http://www.prospects.ac.uk/higher_education_lecturer_salary.htm
it says the same thing bro. Besides, I am also in the system, but it is understandable if we see things from diff. perspective. talking about taxation and bills....it still is a far cry from getting 250K naira in Nigeria with a PhD for crying out loud. and even if i pay a house rent of 200K monthly, GOD!!! we are talking of a working country...i would pay anything to live in a conducive environment. But hey, if you are lucky, there are many great housing offers around.
Re: Salary Scale Of Lecturers In Nigerian Universities by Time2Smile(m): 4:59pm On Apr 30, 2015
The post is correct as far as I know(and I should know) However that is the Base salary, there are other allowances such as housing allowance, but at the end of the day An Assistant lecturer, with Master degree and on a PhD programme, will earn about 130,000 monthly. I know this might not be much to some people but this just illustrates how poor public service pay is in Nigeria.A Typical Civil Servant in most Southwest states will not make up to 130,000 after working for up to 20 years. That's were corruption in the civil service comes in. Most civil servant survive by stealing government money. To be continued

2 Likes

Re: Salary Scale Of Lecturers In Nigerian Universities by felifeli: 5:00pm On Apr 30, 2015
soe:
OMG, whereas, in the UK, a fresh lecturer's starting salary is about £41,000 per annum ( Pls in the interest of health and safety, converting this to Naira without a four figure table is strongly discouraged)

LIAR!
Re: Salary Scale Of Lecturers In Nigerian Universities by themodernman: 5:00pm On Apr 30, 2015
soe:
OMG, whereas, in the UK, a fresh lecturer's starting salary is about £41,000 per annum ( Pls in the interest of health and safety, converting this to Naira without a four figure table is strongly discouraged)

Even a doctor isn't paid dat much in d U.K...find another lie abeg.

1 Like

Re: Salary Scale Of Lecturers In Nigerian Universities by Nobody: 5:00pm On Apr 30, 2015
felifeli:

LIAR!
you are allowed to console yourself...i once did that too you know

1 Like

Re: Salary Scale Of Lecturers In Nigerian Universities by Nobody: 5:01pm On Apr 30, 2015
themodernman:

Even a doctor isn't paid dat much in d U.K...find another lie abeg.
do you know how much NHS Nurses are paid?
Re: Salary Scale Of Lecturers In Nigerian Universities by natnoble(m): 5:06pm On Apr 30, 2015
d money is not much but is alot better than no job. atleast there is job security unlike bank job that one could b sack at any slight economic change

1 Like

Re: Salary Scale Of Lecturers In Nigerian Universities by Smurfette(f): 5:09pm On Apr 30, 2015
Bigii:

go mama nkechi house. Becareful while u open ur gate incase dat zinc will cut u like yesterday.
mama Nkechi went to the market oh. thank you for reminding me about the zinc pls buy dried fish on your way back. wink
Re: Salary Scale Of Lecturers In Nigerian Universities by AustinBlinks(m): 5:18pm On Apr 30, 2015
If this is true.... so this idiots take so much money and stil waste students life with their yeye ASUU strikes. God dey o
Re: Salary Scale Of Lecturers In Nigerian Universities by themodernman: 5:24pm On Apr 30, 2015
soe:
do you know how much NHS Nurses are paid?

How much and for doctors under NHS too.
Re: Salary Scale Of Lecturers In Nigerian Universities by Nobody: 5:31pm On Apr 30, 2015
themodernman:

How much and for doctors under NHS too.
really?? you are asking me? where do you live?
Re: Salary Scale Of Lecturers In Nigerian Universities by wesley210(m): 5:32pm On Apr 30, 2015
chiefinalowo:

He is a Professor in FUTA
justified!!!!!!!! Imagine a prof earning 450k while some fresh degree holders in an oil firm earns half a million monthly.#pathetic
hope the govt can look into this so as to lure the best hands to the system

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Salary Scale Of Lecturers In Nigerian Universities by wesley210(m): 5:34pm On Apr 30, 2015
AustinBlinks:
If this is true.... so this idiots take so much money and stil waste students life with their yeye ASUU strikes. God dey o
Idiots? abeg show some respect...the above quoted amount is per annum and not monthly bro..

1 Like

Re: Salary Scale Of Lecturers In Nigerian Universities by handsometokunbo: 5:43pm On Apr 30, 2015
soe:

You guys should stop comparing both countries. The Nigerian lecturer would surely live a better life than his/her UK counterpart. Why? Cos UK is freaking expensive.

Let me use myself as a typical example: Tesco Deputy Manager.

Gross salary is £1600 (5/6 days)
Tax and N.I-£200

Net Salary-1400 (#380,000)
Rent/mortgage-£750
Water, gas, electricity-£120
Car gas-120
Council Tax-86
Car park in front of my house (£40 quarterly)-£13.3 monthly.
food-150.
Car insurance-£65
Car road Tax- £225 pa. 225÷12=
Car Mot-£50pa. 50÷12=

Nigeria Counterpart

SHOPRITE Deputy Manager.

#150,000

Expenses:

1 bedroom in normal neighbourhood

Buy fuel for his car

Food

Electricity.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Salary Scale Of Lecturers In Nigerian Universities by smakati(m): 6:02pm On Apr 30, 2015
soe:
Taaa! Sey dis same uk abi another one dey

1 Like

Re: Salary Scale Of Lecturers In Nigerian Universities by handsometokunbo: 6:08pm On Apr 30, 2015
Time2Smile:
The post is correct as far as I know(and I should know) However that is the Base salary, there are other allowances such as housing allowance, but at the end of the day An Assistant lecturer, with Master degree and on a PhD programme, will earn about 130,000 monthly. I know this might not be much to some people but this just illustrates how poor public service pay is in Nigeria.A Typical Civil Servant in most Southwest states will not make up to 130,000 after working for up to 20 years. That's were corruption in the civil service comes in. Most civil servant survive by stealing government money. To be continued

South west or you meant Nigeria as whole
Re: Salary Scale Of Lecturers In Nigerian Universities by abvictory: 6:17pm On Apr 30, 2015
donsharwama:
UMMMMM.......... Y AM I FINDING IT HARD TO BELIEVE

EMMMM.... MAYB COS OUR LECTURER'S LOOK POOR.

OH I SEEE....... DATS Y THEY GO ON STIKE ABI, IF PERSON OWE ME DAT KIND MONEY NA DIE U DEY OOO.

THANKS 4 D INFO @ OP BT CONFIRM ND REPORT
You don't need to find it hard to believe, everything there is correct. I can attest to it
Re: Salary Scale Of Lecturers In Nigerian Universities by Caracta(f): 6:23pm On Apr 30, 2015
mickey45:

You wan lecture? U sef no go dream am.

Because?
Re: Salary Scale Of Lecturers In Nigerian Universities by Time2Smile(m): 6:31pm On Apr 30, 2015
handsometokunbo:

South west or you meant Nigeria as whole
Most likely the whole of Nigeria but I am sure of south West except maybe Lagos
Re: Salary Scale Of Lecturers In Nigerian Universities by HouseT: 6:34pm On Apr 30, 2015
It's unfair....so small.
Re: Salary Scale Of Lecturers In Nigerian Universities by Time2Smile(m): 6:39pm On Apr 30, 2015
But lecturing has its own perks, for instance the working hours are really flexible, it is one of the few government jobs where you really enjoy what you do(I love imparting knowledge), Not tedious and boring, there is respect from all and sundry, you do not have to be at the top to have access to travel grants and travel overseas. And considering the employment situation in Nigeria it is a really good job.

4 Likes

Re: Salary Scale Of Lecturers In Nigerian Universities by Nobody: 6:40pm On Apr 30, 2015
This is just basic salary
Re: Salary Scale Of Lecturers In Nigerian Universities by Potch: 6:46pm On Apr 30, 2015
Time2Smile:

You misrepresented some facts here. I am in the system and this is coming from the horse's mouth. CONUASS is a Consolidated Salary, which includes basic salary, peculiar allowance and rent subsidy for university lecturers in all the federal universities. Although, some states pay more or less and this depends on some intrinsic and extrinsic factors. For instance, lecturers from LASU claim they receive higher salaries compared to UNILAG (anecdotal). Professors do not earn 800k/month except professors of Medicine who get double salaries (university and teaching hospitals).
Re: Salary Scale Of Lecturers In Nigerian Universities by themodernman: 7:05pm On Apr 30, 2015
soe:
really?? you are asking me? where do you live?

Goan sit down if you have no answer.
Re: Salary Scale Of Lecturers In Nigerian Universities by Nobody: 7:06pm On Apr 30, 2015
themodernman:

Goan sit down if you have no answer.
kkk sir
Re: Salary Scale Of Lecturers In Nigerian Universities by preciousMI1(f): 7:30pm On Apr 30, 2015
too poor for an educationist.... no wonder they do the garbage in and garbage out system....
Re: Salary Scale Of Lecturers In Nigerian Universities by Ijeleigbo(m): 7:50pm On Apr 30, 2015
Let's be honest with ourselves, the highest paying jobs in Nigeria is the oil sector and politics. The rate of unemployment is high, other jobs lack security except you own your own business.
I wouldn't mind obtaining an Msc with a Phd in view and if i start i won't stop till i become a professor. The pay is good, the job is flexible, if you creative enough you indulge into constant research and write books, creating more source of income.
I advise youths instead of sitting your ass home after your first degree searching for the perfect job that is no where to be found, go for your masters rather, get more certification and in the long run, you will reap the benefits
Re: Salary Scale Of Lecturers In Nigerian Universities by 2odd(m): 7:56pm On Apr 30, 2015
soe:

Do u know how much is the tuition fee in the UK ? No b beans o .. U can't compare it to naija o
Re: Salary Scale Of Lecturers In Nigerian Universities by ibnhasan: 7:56pm On Apr 30, 2015
Potch:

You misrepresented some facts here. I am in the system and this is coming from the horse's mouth. CONUASS is a Consolidated Salary, which includes basic salary, peculiar allowance and rent subsidy for university lecturers in all the federal universities. Although, some states pay more or less and this depends on some intrinsic and extrinsic factors. For instance, lecturers from LASU claim they receive higher salaries compared to UNILAG (anecdotal). Professors do not earn 800k/month except professors of Medicine who get double salaries (university and teaching hospitals).
Re: Salary Scale Of Lecturers In Nigerian Universities by Nobody: 10:56pm On Apr 30, 2015
Vickydera2:
this is so false. a new lecturer can't earn 137k . d don't look like d earn dat
He is right. A new lecturer with first degree is employed as GA ( graduate assistant), Op excluded this and Assistant lecturer in his post.
The lecturer ll he stopped at is the entry-level for FRESH PhD holders or those with MBBS/BDS.
Re: Salary Scale Of Lecturers In Nigerian Universities by Nobody: 11:13pm On Apr 30, 2015
Time2Smile:
The salary is CONSOLIDATED, no extra allowances expect for Medical doctors who are appointed as academic staffs.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Ugandan Court Clerk Suspended For Dressing Too "Sexy" (Photo) / Ike Eweama Promoted To Colonel In US Army (Photos) / Lady Who Slept With Her Bosses For Promotion Cries Out

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.