Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,416 members, 7,808,489 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:39 PM

Atheism Is A Religion: Kolooyinbo Explains. - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Atheism Is A Religion: Kolooyinbo Explains. (15386 Views)

Conclusion : Atheism Is So Illogical , The Atheist Delusion / Atheism Is Dying! Currently On Life Support! / Atheism Is Frustrating. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Atheism Is A Religion: Kolooyinbo Explains. by jayriginal: 9:09am On Apr 30, 2015
KoloOyinbo, thread opened. Over to you.
Re: Atheism Is A Religion: Kolooyinbo Explains. by FOLYKAZE(m): 10:29am On Apr 30, 2015
I think this depend on how one define religion. In another perspective, religion goes beyond worshipping a deity in an organised circle. Most importantly, definitions of religion sometimes do not cover most religion across the world. . . . .so when we try to get a definition that covers all form of religion, I dont think atheism would be exceptional.

Sometimes ago, I found in Oxford dictionary that football is a religion. Are the form of deity worshipping in football? Could the dictionary be wrong?

So to start with, tell us comprehensively what religion is. I believe we will ascertain if atheism falls into it.

From the dictionary, religion is

1. the belief in a god or in a group of gods

2. an organized system of beliefs, ceremonies, and rules used to worship a god or a group of gods

3. an interest, a belief, or an activity that is very important to a person or group

The Ist and 2nd is ruled out while atheism attracts the 3rd definition.

Religion from the 3rd definition goes beyond deity or form of worship. For example,

Hockey is a religion in Canada.
Politics are a religion to him.
Where I live, high school football is religion.
Food is religion in this house.

Therefore, hockey game, football, politics and even food become a religion.

In another round, the 3rd definition could be explain as A pursuit or interest followed with great devotion. Atheists, especiallly evangelist atheists are very devoted to the course of convincing religionist that God doesnt exist. Atheists are devoted to upholding the principles of reason, scientific knowledge, and critical thinking. Not only that, atheists generally pursuit interest in living outside God. These boil down to 3rd definition of religion. Atheism uphold some form of devotion, interest and activities that is very important to their personal or general lives. This make it a godless religion.

While surfing the internet, I came across this:

Sociologists study religion as both a belief system and a social institution. As a belief system, religion shapes what people think and how they see the world. As a social institution, religion is a pattern of social action organized around the beliefs and practices that people develop to answer questions about the meaning of existence. As an institution, religion persists over time and has an organizational structure into which members are socialized.

http://sociology.about.com/od/Disciplines/a/Sociology-Of-Religion.htm

Opitz added meaning to religion. He said, your religion is the fundamental way you approach, understand, and evaluate all subjects.

Note the bolden and colored pls.

Let me show you atheism fuss into religion from the definition above. . . .

1. Atheism shape the way atheists think and how they view the world.

A. Moral view

B. Existencism

C. Big bang theory of universe origin.

There are lot more atheism has changed in mode of thinking and view of the world but let me choose on that three for now.

Do you ever thought of morality not from God? Do you consider rationality of an action and know how different it is from the religious ones? What about origin of the universe? Atheism influence lot to unravel stuff without God. They view the world as an entity that have nothing to do with God.

2. Atheism negation of creationism brought about darwinism. The new movement propel darwinsim as an existencial theory.

3. There is already a church of atheism, forum and association which uphold socialization.

Conclusively, atheism is a religion because it encompass the scope religion.

Thirdly,

3 Likes

Re: Atheism Is A Religion: Kolooyinbo Explains. by davien(m): 11:28am On Apr 30, 2015
By the logic of the above post his disbelief in other "god/gods" is a religion too....so accounting how many religions he disbelieves he'd be practising 5+ million "godless religions" .... undecided

The problem with equivocation fallacies are that they shoot the presenter in the foot... grin

3 Likes

Re: Atheism Is A Religion: Kolooyinbo Explains. by menesheh(m): 12:41pm On Apr 30, 2015
Logic

I can worship ("believe" better in this contest) an idea that are open to criticism, have mountains of evidence pointing to its factual, not dogmatic, have effects on the physical world not skeptic ideal of afterlife etc.
Re: Atheism Is A Religion: Kolooyinbo Explains. by jayriginal: 12:44pm On Apr 30, 2015
Nice reply Folykaze. I suspect that KoloOyinbo will argue along your lines but I do not want to preempt him.

Going by your third definition, several things can be defined as a religion. You mentioned hockey in Canada, thats one. Speaking of hockey as a religion is understandable, perhaps even apt, but only in a metaphorical sense. To consider it a religion in any other sense is truly ridiculous.

Atheism falls outside your third category. Atheism is not a belief, interest or activity. Its simply a state of mind as to whether one has faith in the existence of God. An atheist lacks this faith. One can like nokia phones and be an atheist while another atheist is into iphones. One might love okra and another likes ewedu. Sure, you might find some common traits among atheists but that is not because they are following the same rules. I play chess very devotedly and I play the guitar equally devotedly. Never have I once thought of either of these my passions as a religion.

Atheism did not bring about darwinism as you call it.

Sorry but you have failed to prove or even convince that atheism is a religion.

3 Likes

Re: Atheism Is A Religion: Kolooyinbo Explains. by KoloOyinbo(m): 1:03pm On Apr 30, 2015
Hi all.

Firstly and most importantly many thanks for honouring me with a mention in the name of the thread!

It began as a random thought while answering questions on my position in a different thread. I suspect a strong argument can be made that it can be considered a religion but am not yet fully convince and will read all sensible comment with an open mind. I have no axe to grind on either result, pro or con. Although at the moment I am somewhat more pro.

Have not yet fully analysed why I feel so but am happy to give some random points/thoughts in no particular order of importance.

Humanism is considered by some (not all) as a religion and can be linked with atheism.

The dictionary definition is:
Definition of ATHEISM
archaic : ungodliness, wickedness
a : a disbelief in the existence of deity
b : the doctrine that there is no deity
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/atheism

I am immediately attracted to the word (dis)belief. Belief - pro or con - in the absence of any evidence to prove or disprove - seems to imply FAITH?

As mentioned (very correctly) in a post above it really will depend on definitions of religion.

I suspect some of us may end up agreeing that it is NOT a religion but shares many of the characteristics of one(?) but don't want to beg the question.

Please keep the contributions coming - pro or con.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Atheism Is A Religion: Kolooyinbo Explains. by jayriginal: 1:10pm On Apr 30, 2015
KoloOyinbo:

I am immediately attracted to the word (dis)belief. Belief - pro or con - in the absence of any evidence to prove or disprove - seems to imply FAITH?

Question: Is disbelief in a thing/outcome the same as the belief in the opposite thing/outcome?

3 Likes

Re: Atheism Is A Religion: Kolooyinbo Explains. by Nobody: 1:17pm On Apr 30, 2015
I find atheists to be very similar to those who buy into religion. They have a lot of similarities such as both arguing something that can not be proven either way. If I had to pick between the two I really couldn't because both are very strong. What I mean by strength is that to have a belief and faith in something higher than yourself even though there maybe no guaranty of it's existence is very admirable. As for those who choose to do it on their own having faith in their abilities and governing themselves is very brave.
I am an agnostic and chose to stand between these two opposites and smh lol.
Re: Atheism Is A Religion: Kolooyinbo Explains. by Rilwayne001: 1:20pm On Apr 30, 2015
**Grabs seat**
Re: Atheism Is A Religion: Kolooyinbo Explains. by KoloOyinbo(m): 1:22pm On Apr 30, 2015
jayriginal:

Question: Is disbelief in a thing/outcome the same as the belief in the opposite thing/outcome?

Yes, but only if we are considering a 'Boolean'. i.e. 'A' or 'NOT A'.

In this specific case - God exists OR God does not exist.
Re: Atheism Is A Religion: Kolooyinbo Explains. by KoloOyinbo(m): 1:26pm On Apr 30, 2015
Chiam55:
I find atheists to be very similar to those who buy into religion. They have a lot of similarities such as both arguing something that can not be proven either way. If I had to pick between the two I really couldn't because both are very strong. What I mean by strength is that to have a belief and faith in something higher than yourself even though there maybe no guaranty of it's existence is very admirable. As for those who choose to do it on their own having faith in their abilities and governing themselves is very brave.

I understand you completely. I am reproducing a post I just made a few moments ago in another thread for Kay 17. You may enjoy it!

"An agnostic has the benefit that their position IS both sustainable and logical. (Although I can't help but feel that they are 'ducking the question' LOL!)

It is hard to refute (although I do not accept it) that the agnostics position is superior to both.

Perhaps I will pray hard to God to make me an agnostic! grin grin"

Please allow me to reiterate I DO believe in a God but accept the above!
Re: Atheism Is A Religion: Kolooyinbo Explains. by FOLYKAZE(m): 1:29pm On Apr 30, 2015
jayriginal:
Nice reply Folykaze. I suspect that KoloOyinbo will argue along your lines but I do not want to preempt him.

Going by your third definition, several things can be defined as a religion. You mentioned hockey in Canada, thats one. Speaking of hockey as a religion is understandable, perhaps even apt, but only in a metaphorical sense. To consider it a religion in any other sense is truly ridiculous.

Atheism falls outside your third category. Atheism is not a belief, interest or activity. Its simply a state of mind as to whether one has faith in the existence of God. An atheist lacks this faith. One can like nokia phones and be an atheist while another atheist is into iphones. One might love okra and another likes ewedu. Sure, you might find some common traits among atheists but that is not because they are following the same rules. I play chess very devotedly and I play the guitar equally devotedly. Never have I once thought of either of these my passions as a religion.

Atheism did not bring about darwinism as you call it.

Sorry but you have failed to prove or even convince that atheism is a religion.

1. Religion is a universal practises that take many forms. Even among the christians, some are trinitarian while others are not. Some wear uniform while others do not. This does not makes it non-religious by citing like of individual atheists.

2. Every religious move either done consciously or not does not stop the act from been religious. A phenomenon is what it is until after it attracts some form of devotion. At this point, it becomes a religion.
3. I didnt say atheism brought about darwinism, my point was according to the definition given, religion develop existentialism. Atheism does not develop but propel darwinism. So this makes it a religion.

4. You defined atheism as a state of mind; forgetting that religion is a state of mind too. This your words most importantly confirmed that atheism is a religion.

1 Like

Re: Atheism Is A Religion: Kolooyinbo Explains. by KoloOyinbo(m): 1:35pm On Apr 30, 2015
I have studied Folykaze's post.

He raises some very interesting points and has alerted me to a potential problem (thanks).

Many people believe in a GOD, BUT do not follow organised religion of any form. Some call themselves Godly but not religious (inviting a separate discussion but lets not go there).

Are you guy/gals happy to consider that a belief in God (or Gods for any ATR) IS a religion in itself? This will invalidate some of the definitions referring to social structure etc.

I want to try to keep to the debate that 'Belief IN God' and 'Belief in NO God' are two sides of the same coin.

(Don't even know if this helps others but struck me upon reading Folykaze)
Re: Atheism Is A Religion: Kolooyinbo Explains. by jayriginal: 1:37pm On Apr 30, 2015
KoloOyinbo:

Yes, but only if we are considering a 'Boolean'. i.e. 'A' or 'NOT A'.

In this specific case - God exists OR God does not exist.

Wrong again.

One can disbelieve in A without believing in NOT A.

Using football, do I believe Brazil will win the next world cup? No! Does that mean I believe Brazil will not win the world cup? No! They may win it or they may not even qualify for the event. However I simply dont believe that they will win. Its difficult to grasp but think about that carefully.

Do I believe you have a car? I dont. I have no evidence to lead me to believe you have a car. However that is not to say that I believe that you do not have a car. You actually might own one, but I dont believe it. Is it clear now?

A disbelief in one thing is not a belief in the opposite.

Do you still contest the point?

3 Likes

Re: Atheism Is A Religion: Kolooyinbo Explains. by jayriginal: 1:42pm On Apr 30, 2015
Chiam55:

It depends on what definition of atheism you adopt.

Simply put an atheist is one without belief in God. Thats all there is to it. There are atheists who declare positively that there is no God but that is not necessary to come under the umbrella of atheism.

Only one question needs to be asked "do you believe in God". If your answer is "No" then you are an atheist regardless of whatever approach you adopt.
Now you describe yourself as agnostic so may I put the same question to you?

Chiam55, do you believe in God? Its a yes or no question. You may elaborate if you wish after answering but please try to answer with a yes or no first.

1 Like

Re: Atheism Is A Religion: Kolooyinbo Explains. by KoloOyinbo(m): 1:44pm On Apr 30, 2015
jayriginal:

Wrong again.

One can disbelieve in A without believing in NOT A.

Using football, do I believe Brazil will win the next world cup? No! Does that mean I believe Brazil will not win the world cup? No! They may win it or they may not even qualify for the event. However I simply dont believe that they will win. Its difficult to grasp but think about that carefully.

Do I believe you have a car? I dont. I have no evidence to lead me to believe you have a car. However that is not to say that I believe that you do not have a car. You actually might own one, but I dont believe it. Is it clear now?

A disbelief in one thing is not a belief in the opposite.

Do you still contest the point?

Read what a BOOLEAN is! I am correct (tempted to say as always but modesty prohibits grin). Your Brazil analogy is ALMOST correct. The may or may not win is the equivalent or 'Agnosticism'. But EITHER they WILL win or the WILL NOT win. Either / Or - the definition of BOOLEAN!

There are only two alternative. You can decide NOT to choose - ok.

A disbelief in one thing is not a belief in the opposite. If we apply this then we arrive at agnosticism as I have said both here and in other threads.

Also see my somewhat 'tongue in cheek' comments on agnosticism above.
Re: Atheism Is A Religion: Kolooyinbo Explains. by KoloOyinbo(m): 1:48pm On Apr 30, 2015
jayriginal:

Simply put an atheist is one without belief in God. Thats all there is to it. There are atheists who declare positively that there is no God but that is not necessary to come under the umbrella of atheism.

Only one question needs to be asked "do you believe in God". If your answer is "No" then you are an atheist regardless of whatever approach you adopt.

Chiam55, do you believe in God? Its a yes or no question. You may elaborate if you wish after answering but please try to answer with a yes or no first.

Yes it is the problem of definitions.

We need to agree if agnostics are separate from atheists or a subset of atheists! (Most agnostics I have met consider themselves separate).

Can I ask you, Jayriginal - are you an agnostic?
Re: Atheism Is A Religion: Kolooyinbo Explains. by jayriginal: 1:55pm On Apr 30, 2015
FOLYKAZE:

1. Religion is a universal practises that take many forms. Even among the christians, some are trinitarian while others are not. Some wear uniform while others do not. This does not makes it non-religious by citing like of individual atheists.

I never said or implied that religion was not diverse. No point here.

2. Every religious move either done consciously or not does not stop the act from been religious. A phenomenon is what it is until after it attracts some form of devotion. At this point, it becomes a religion.

I honestly do not know which of my points this is meant to counter.

3. I didnt say atheism brought about darwinism, my point was according to the definition given, religion develop existentialism. Atheism does not develop but propel darwinism. So this makes it a religion.

How exactly does atheism propel darwinism (and what the hell is darwinism anyway? Do you mean to say evolution?) and does atheism propel science too? Perhaps science is a religion as well?

4. You defined atheism as a state of mind; forgetting that religion is a state of mind too. This your words most importantly confirmed that atheism is a religion.
Atheists are people, theists are people, religions need people therefore atheism is a religion. This makes no sense. Listen in case you misunderstood me. Religion is much more than a state of mind. Now, a deist believes in God but deism is not a religion. Can you see how that works? By calling atheism a state of mind, I meant the position on the belief in a God or Gods. Nothing more than that. Whenever you define religion to include sports, politics etc, then you expand it to include just about everything under the sun that is an observed practice eg early morning ablutions.

1 Like

Re: Atheism Is A Religion: Kolooyinbo Explains. by jayriginal: 2:01pm On Apr 30, 2015
KoloOyinbo:

Yes it is the problem of definitions.

We need to agree if agnostics are separate from atheists or a subset of atheists! (Most agnostics I have met consider themselves separate).

Can I ask you, Jayriginal - are you an agnostic?

I do not believe in God. That makes me an atheist. I do not say that there is no God either. By most definitions, I will be tagged agnostic but in fact, I am an atheist. Its only when one wants to make further distinctions between atheists that one starts calling some agnostics, strong atheists, weak atheists, christian atheists etc

I explained all this before in the other thread.

And yes, most agnostics do consider themselves separate but they arent. It gives the appearance of respectability and intellect. It also helps people believe that they can still save your soul grin .

I still wish to hear Chiam55 answer the question I posed.

1 Like

Re: Atheism Is A Religion: Kolooyinbo Explains. by jayriginal: 2:07pm On Apr 30, 2015
KoloOyinbo:

Read what a BOOLEAN is! I am correct (tempted to say as always but modesty prohibits grin). Your Brazil analogy is ALMOST correct. The may or may not win is the equivalent or 'Agnosticism'. But EITHER they WILL win or the WILL NOT win. Either / Or - the definition of BOOLEAN!

There are only two alternative. You can decide NOT to choose - ok.

A disbelief in one thing is not a belief in the opposite. If we apply this then we arrive at agnosticism as I have said both here and in other threads.

Also see my somewhat 'tongue in cheek' comments on agnosticism above.
I program and so I know VERY well what a Boolean is.

Lets put it this way, perhaps it will be easier.

Will I put my money (belief) on Brazil winning the world cup? No. Does that mean I should automatically put it on them not winning? No.
I dont believe they will win the world cup (they may) but that doesnt mean that I believe that they will not win either.

Now if I believed, I would put my money on them (my belief).
Re: Atheism Is A Religion: Kolooyinbo Explains. by FOLYKAZE(m): 2:08pm On Apr 30, 2015
@KoloOyinbo

The issue of God cause a serious bleeding through the deep cut of defining what God is. That better not be touched.

Religion on the other hand does not necessarily have base in god belief or faith system.

Religion has more to do with devotion; 'tie to' something or someone. That is it, that is all
Re: Atheism Is A Religion: Kolooyinbo Explains. by plaetton: 2:11pm On Apr 30, 2015
FOLYKAZE:
I think this depend on how one define religion. In another perspective, religion goes beyond worshipping a deity in an organised circle. Most importantly, definitions of religion sometimes do not cover most religion across the world. . . . .so when we try to get a definition that covers all form of religion, I dont think atheism would be exceptional.

Sometimes ago, I found in Oxford dictionary that football is a religion. Are the form of deity worshipping in football? Could the dictionary be wrong?

So to start with, tell us comprehensively what religion is. I believe we will ascertain if atheism falls into it.

2. an organized system of beliefs, ceremonies, and rules used to worship a god or a group of gods

3. an interest, a belief, or an activity that is very important to a person or group

Religion from the 3rd definition goes beyond deity or form of worship. For example,

In another round, the 3rd definition could be explain as A pursuit or interest followed with great devotion. Atheists, especiallly evangelist atheists are very devoted to the course of convincing religionist that God doesnt exist. Atheists are devoted to upholding the principles of reason, scientific knowledge, and critical thinking. Not only that, atheists generally pursuit interest in living outside God. These boil down to 3rd definition of religion. Atheism uphold some form of devotion, interest and activities that is very important to their personal or general lives. This make it a godless religion.

Opitz added meaning to religion. He said, your religion is the fundamental way you approach, understand, and evaluate all subjects.

A. Moral view

B. Existencism

There are lot more atheism has changed in mode of thinking and view of the world but let me choose on that three for now.

Do you ever thought of morality not from God? Do you consider rationality of an action and know how different it is from the religious ones? What about origin of the universe? Atheism influence lot to unravel stuff without God. They view the world as an entity that have nothing to do with God.

2. Atheism negation of creationism brought about darwinism. The new movement propel darwinsim as an existencial theory.

3. There is already a church of atheism, forum and association which uphold socialization.

Thirdly,

Atheism falls into none of these categories.
Atheism is not an interest, a hobby nor a vocation.
It is not a philosophy, a school of thought or an organization.
Atheism is simply a disbelief, for lack of evidence, in a particular aspect of what many take for granted, the existence of something in particular.

Disbelieving in god is similar to disbelieving in Zeus, Santa Clause, the Tooth fairy, the Pink Unicorn and many myths of ancient cultures around the world.

If a group of atheists gather together to plan how to safeguard their freedom and interests, it does automatically make it a religion.

If we were to use such broad definition of religion, then Nigeria Bar Association would be a religious body, as would be ICAN, APC, PDP, The Nigerian Air force, The Navy and Army.

Even NL religious section would be considered an independent religion of its own.

A simple, unconditional disbelief in an idea, no matter how generally popular that idea is, doesn't constitute a a belief in of itself.

It is absurd to, for example, suggest that abstinence or celibacy is a form of se.x.ual act.

1 Like

Re: Atheism Is A Religion: Kolooyinbo Explains. by jayriginal: 2:12pm On Apr 30, 2015
FOLYKAZE:
@KoloOyinbo

The issue of God cause a serious bleeding through the deep cut of defining what God is. That better not be touched.

Religion on the other hand does not necessarily have base in god belief or faith system.

Religion has more to do with devotion; 'tie to' something or someone. That is it, that is all

And so Im a polytheist. Chess is my religion. Music is my religion. Breathing oxygen is my religion (Im really devoted and tied to that).

How many religions do you have FOLYKAZE? (apart from spiritual atheism of course).
Re: Atheism Is A Religion: Kolooyinbo Explains. by plaetton: 2:22pm On Apr 30, 2015
FOLYKAZE:

A. Moral view

B. Existencism

Thirdly,

Let me correct you again, Atheism has very little to do with Darwinism, and certainly did not originate with Darwinism. Darwin was not an atheist and only came up with his theory of biological evolution 150yrs ago.

Throughout antiquity, there have always been people who did not believe in the existence of gods.
Even the biblical chroniclers recognized the existence of atheists when it referred to them as fools.

In a our modern democratic traditions, every group of individuals who have a common interest are encouraged to and gather and form associations for the purpose of getting their voice heard and their interests safeguarded.

Therefore, there should be nothing extraordinary about atheists gathering together to protect their right to freedom from religion.
Re: Atheism Is A Religion: Kolooyinbo Explains. by jayriginal: 2:27pm On Apr 30, 2015
^^^
Correction, I think you meant to say "certainly did not originate with Darwinism"
Re: Atheism Is A Religion: Kolooyinbo Explains. by Nobody: 2:27pm On Apr 30, 2015
Do I believe in God? No. Do I not believe in God. No. That is an agnostic I may not believe in God but that does not mean that I believe he doesn't exist because for all I know he might.
You analogy up there about the car is the description of an agnostic. I can't believe in something I have no clue that it exists but at the same time I can't disbelieve in it because I don't know if that thing exists or not.

So what I choose to believe in is the theory of the universe, an energy or a frequency that I send out which guides me through this life.

I am not an atheist because I do believe in a thing or a system some say a higher being. I am not religious because I don't subscribe to the dogmatic God nor am I attracted to the social institution that religion brings. I am a follower of the One that means to me that everything is one and I am a part of that one.

jayriginal:

Re: Atheism Is A Religion: Kolooyinbo Explains. by FOLYKAZE(m): 2:28pm On Apr 30, 2015
jayriginal:

I never said or implied that religion was not diverse. No point here.

But you acknowledge religion is centred on faith in God while many religion in the world today does not necessarity have it centre on faith in a particular God.

jayriginal:

I honestly do not know which of my points this is meant to counter.

It counters your position that your devotion to chess game or guiter playing is not a religion. Well rightly, knowing this doesnt stop this devotion from been a form of religion.

jayriginal:

How exactly does atheism propel darwinism (and what the hell is darwinism anyway? Do you mean to say evolution?) and does atheism propel science too? Perhaps science is a religion as well?

This is darwinism http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darwinism

jayriginal:

Atheists are people, theists are people, religions need people therefore atheism is a religion. This makes no sense. Listen in case you misunderstood me. Religion is much more than a state of mind. Now, a deist believes in God but deism is not a religion. Can you see how that works? By calling atheism a state of mind, I meant the position on the belief in a God or Gods. Nothing more than that. Whenever you define religion to include sports, politics etc, then you expand it to include just about everything under the sun that is an observed practice eg early morning ablutions.

1. Deism is a natural religion. Pls note that.

2. You actually cannot show me how atheism is exceptional from the everything which my provided definition covers.
Re: Atheism Is A Religion: Kolooyinbo Explains. by plaetton: 2:32pm On Apr 30, 2015
Chiam55:

Lol.
There is no such thing as being an agnostic.
I used to call myself agnostic too.

Agnostic is like a half-way house between the prison of religion and the freedom of godlessness.

An agnostic is one who has fully jettisoned religion, but still tit bit afraid to fully free him/herself from the godspell.

One day, you might find the courage to declare unto yourself " No God Required".

2 Likes

Re: Atheism Is A Religion: Kolooyinbo Explains. by FOLYKAZE(m): 2:33pm On Apr 30, 2015
jayriginal:

And so Im a polytheist. Chess is my religion. Music is my religion. Breathing oxygen is my religion (Im really devoted and tied to that).

How many religions do you have FOLYKAZE? (apart from spiritual atheism of course).

as many as I am tied to.

Atheism is disbelieve in the existence of God.

While man is a God, do you disbelieve in the existence of God (defined as influencial Man)?
Re: Atheism Is A Religion: Kolooyinbo Explains. by plaetton: 2:34pm On Apr 30, 2015
jayriginal:
^^^
Correction, I think you meant to say "certainly did not originate with Darwinism"

Yes.
Thank you for the correction.

1 Like

Re: Atheism Is A Religion: Kolooyinbo Explains. by jayriginal: 2:38pm On Apr 30, 2015
Chiam55:

Do I believe in God? No.

You are an atheist then.

I appreciate that you do not also believe that there is no God but that is not included in the definition of atheism. I ironically (I should think), because atheism has such a narrow description, a lot of different people fall under its umbrella. There is no unification save the fact of disbelief in God.

I can't believe in something I have no clue that it exists but at the same time I can't disbelieve in it believe it doesnt exist because I don't know if that thing exists or not.

Very eloquently put (pardon my slight editing). You are an atheist.

1 Like

Re: Atheism Is A Religion: Kolooyinbo Explains. by Nobody: 2:39pm On Apr 30, 2015
Lol. I hope not because if I'm honest I'm closer to religion than an atheist. I feel like the black sheep kicked out of the religion camp because I refuse to digest some of the theories (especially the Them and Us mentality) But I do believe in a higher being. I love my higher being. I say MY higher being because it is a personal connection. I don't need to be part of a group or community I love my private affair with my higher being.

plaetton:

Lol.
There is no such thing as being an agnostic.
I used to call myself agnostic too.

Agnostic is like a half-way house between the prison of religion and the freedom of godlessness.

An agnostic is one who has fully jettisoned religion, but still tit bit afraid to fully free him/herself from the godspell.

One day, you might find the courage to declare unto yourself " No God Required".

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Palm Sunday Procession In Offa (pictures). / David Oyedepo Celebrates His 64th Birthday Today / I Am Done With Intituitionalized Christianity, Would Stop Attending "church"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 144
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.