Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,305 members, 7,808,036 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:54 AM

Orthopaedic Hospital Performs First Hip Replacement Surgery In Sokoto - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Orthopaedic Hospital Performs First Hip Replacement Surgery In Sokoto (15306 Views)

Anambra Hospital Performs 5 Open Heart Surgeries (Photo) / Orthopaedic Hospital Seizes Corpse, Islamic Family Kicks (photo) / LASUTH Performs First Kidney Transplant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Orthopaedic Hospital Performs First Hip Replacement Surgery In Sokoto by lalasticlala(m): 5:22pm On Apr 30, 2015
A Nigerian hospital
Mohammed Aminu in Sokoto

Medical tourism by Nigerians will be further reduced as the Bone and Joint Orthopaedic Hospital in Sokoto has joined other hospitals in Lagos, Abuja and other cities in the country by successfully carrying out its first hip replacement surgery.

The feat was conducted on a 65-year old woman, Hajiya Rukaya Muhammad of Wamakko local government area of the state by three surgeons.

Speaking with THISDAY on Thursday about the feat recorded in Sokoto, the Medical Director of the Hospital, Dr. Muhammad Oboirien, said the surgery lasted for two and half hours to correct the hip of the woman that was damaged due to severe arthritis.

He explained that the 65-year old patient came to the hospital limping, adding that with the conduct of the surgery, she had become stable.

"This is the first time a joint replacement is being done in the whole of Sokoto, Kebbi and Zamfara states. Our patient came here limping and in serious discomfort two months ago and was also finding it difficult to walk because of the problem.

"What we did was to conduct an x-ray of the pelvis and through that, we noticed that one of her hip bones was damaged and as such required to be replaced.

"So, we procured the implant from Lagos and the hip replacement was carried on successfully on April 21. As I am talking to you now, the patient is stable and has started walking with a walker," he said.

Oboirien disclosed that it cost between N700,000 and N750,000 for the hip replacement to be done at the hospital, including the implant, drugs, and all others.

He stated that the cost of hip replacement was cheaper in the country when compared to Dubai, India and other European country where it cost about N2 million, including airfare and accommodation.

"The implication is that hip replacement surgery and other services are available in Lagos and a few places at a lesser cost than for a patient to travel abroad. Many Nigerian surgeons have undergone training on joint replacement in India, Pakistan and Europe.

"In fact, in the past, nobody thought joint replacement could be carried out in the country but now it is readily available here in Sokoto," he explained.

He appealed to the Federal Government to embark on an enlightenment campaign to discourage people from travelling abroad for ailments that could be easily treated in the country, saying this would reduce capital flight.

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/orthopaedic-hospital-performs-first-hip-replacement-surgery-in-sokoto/208168/

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Orthopaedic Hospital Performs First Hip Replacement Surgery In Sokoto by lumzybo: 5:30pm On Apr 30, 2015
That's good news. I wanna commend the surgeons as well as the hospital for the successful hip replacement.

Goodluck on her new hip grin

FTC make una celebrate with me.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Orthopaedic Hospital Performs First Hip Replacement Surgery In Sokoto by Nobody: 5:31pm On Apr 30, 2015
smiley

That's a step in the right direction.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Orthopaedic Hospital Performs First Hip Replacement Surgery In Sokoto by Freciprocal: 5:38pm On Apr 30, 2015
Kudos
Re: Orthopaedic Hospital Performs First Hip Replacement Surgery In Sokoto by omanifrank(m): 5:38pm On Apr 30, 2015
ya
Re: Orthopaedic Hospital Performs First Hip Replacement Surgery In Sokoto by wachakuta(m): 5:38pm On Apr 30, 2015
HIPS don't lie

2 Likes

Re: Orthopaedic Hospital Performs First Hip Replacement Surgery In Sokoto by Nobody: 5:39pm On Apr 30, 2015
Great

1 Like

Re: Orthopaedic Hospital Performs First Hip Replacement Surgery In Sokoto by crowntoro(f): 5:39pm On Apr 30, 2015
wachakuta:
HIPS don't lie
smh undecided
Re: Orthopaedic Hospital Performs First Hip Replacement Surgery In Sokoto by hensben(m): 5:39pm On Apr 30, 2015
Cool

Pharm. hensben
Re: Orthopaedic Hospital Performs First Hip Replacement Surgery In Sokoto by Nobody: 5:39pm On Apr 30, 2015
lumzybo:
That's good news. I wanna commend the surgeons as well as the hospital for the successful hip replacement.

Congrat grin grin grin

Re: Orthopaedic Hospital Performs First Hip Replacement Surgery In Sokoto by Faremisodeeq(m): 5:40pm On Apr 30, 2015
Is this true
Re: Orthopaedic Hospital Performs First Hip Replacement Surgery In Sokoto by Nobody: 5:40pm On Apr 30, 2015
lumzybo:

Congrat grin
Re: Orthopaedic Hospital Performs First Hip Replacement Surgery In Sokoto by BIBblacboy: 5:41pm On Apr 30, 2015
i hope we dont start BOTCH as a t.v program here also......kudos surgeons....una hed dey valid

1 Share

Re: Orthopaedic Hospital Performs First Hip Replacement Surgery In Sokoto by ritababe(f): 5:42pm On Apr 30, 2015
Change everywhere
goodluck to the woman
kudos to the hospital
God bless nigeria

1 Like

Re: Orthopaedic Hospital Performs First Hip Replacement Surgery In Sokoto by taharqa: 5:43pm On Apr 30, 2015
Kudos to Buhari, shaange has come undecided
Re: Orthopaedic Hospital Performs First Hip Replacement Surgery In Sokoto by Lanre4uonly(m): 5:43pm On Apr 30, 2015
A job well done. It's a gradual process. Nigeria will surely get there.

Re: Orthopaedic Hospital Performs First Hip Replacement Surgery In Sokoto by saintTim(m): 5:44pm On Apr 30, 2015
Were is tiwa
Re: Orthopaedic Hospital Performs First Hip Replacement Surgery In Sokoto by kazmanbanjoko(m): 5:44pm On Apr 30, 2015
As i no get transport fare, make i trek from ojota to oshodi in favour of president-electBuhari.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Orthopaedic Hospital Performs First Hip Replacement Surgery In Sokoto by XRAY21(m): 5:47pm On Apr 30, 2015
Can some one tell me the use of the hip stuff she did? ,when she would still use one big hijab to cover from head to toe. How we wan see hips through hijab?

2 Likes

Re: Orthopaedic Hospital Performs First Hip Replacement Surgery In Sokoto by prospero15(m): 5:47pm On Apr 30, 2015
Easy access 4 our gals especially those who need 2 undergo "HIP ENLARGEMENT"...nice one..
Re: Orthopaedic Hospital Performs First Hip Replacement Surgery In Sokoto by IYANGBALI: 5:49pm On Apr 30, 2015
Thank God no be rokiatu own dem fix. She dey form for her area say she get hips,whereas na shiiit full there cheesy

1 Like

Re: Orthopaedic Hospital Performs First Hip Replacement Surgery In Sokoto by jamex93(m): 5:51pm On Apr 30, 2015
wao
Re: Orthopaedic Hospital Performs First Hip Replacement Surgery In Sokoto by Moustache: 5:53pm On Apr 30, 2015
I came late...hope no latecomer list?
Re: Orthopaedic Hospital Performs First Hip Replacement Surgery In Sokoto by Ezedon(m): 5:54pm On Apr 30, 2015
We are still on hip when others have gone far
Re: Orthopaedic Hospital Performs First Hip Replacement Surgery In Sokoto by Tval(m): 5:57pm On Apr 30, 2015
hensben:
Cool

Pharm. hensben
Are you a pharmacist?
Re: Orthopaedic Hospital Performs First Hip Replacement Surgery In Sokoto by eaglechild: 5:59pm On Apr 30, 2015
Some good news from that side of the country. It has been a while.
Re: Orthopaedic Hospital Performs First Hip Replacement Surgery In Sokoto by stinggy(m): 6:01pm On Apr 30, 2015
Gradually, flying out will be a thing of past.
Kudos to the team and the government that established the hospital - either FG or SG.
Re: Orthopaedic Hospital Performs First Hip Replacement Surgery In Sokoto by Nobody: 6:01pm On Apr 30, 2015
The people that always quote me should wake me up from my sleep,when the so called hospital starts seperating conjoin twin as in the pics below;

Re: Orthopaedic Hospital Performs First Hip Replacement Surgery In Sokoto by hensben(m): 6:02pm On Apr 30, 2015
Tval:
Are you a pharmacist?
Yeah bro.
Re: Orthopaedic Hospital Performs First Hip Replacement Surgery In Sokoto by Wisdomxy(m): 6:02pm On Apr 30, 2015
KUDOS TO THE TEAM.

This is what we carry out in private health facility here in Kano with 100% success rate and no noise is made about it.

1 Like

Re: Orthopaedic Hospital Performs First Hip Replacement Surgery In Sokoto by felixchip(m): 6:04pm On Apr 30, 2015
Ezedon:
We are still on hip when others have gone far

You na mumu.
Why didn't your father take you to NYSC camp before daycare 'cause some people are done with daycare, nursery, primary, secondary and tertiary institutions?

Go and have a rethink about your life.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

World Pharmacy Day : Things You May Not Know About Pharmacists / Breaking News! Nafdac Staff Begins Nationwide Strike / How Did You Feel When You Went For Your Last HIV Test?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.