Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,709 members, 7,802,142 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:43 AM

Why Do Nigerians Love Cms, Plugins And Frameworks A Lot? - Webmasters (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Why Do Nigerians Love Cms, Plugins And Frameworks A Lot? (11282 Views)

Premium Wordpress Plugins And Theme Giveaway!!!! / Why Do Nigerians Prefer .com To .ng Domains? / Reasons Why Nigerians Love Cms, Plugins And Frameworks A Lot (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Nigerians Love Cms, Plugins And Frameworks A Lot? by femzysticks(m): 11:31am On May 01, 2015
directonpc:
Just wondering why our 99% percent of our websites and applications are based on some wysiwyg cms or framework. The sites with high traffic in Nigeria are mostly e-commerce sites and blogs running on one platform that was developed by some white guy somewhere.
Even simple non-dynamic html sites are built from templates in Nigeria. We are the Giants of Africa and this practice is won't up our game in the web development industry if u ask me.
Is it that we are scared of coding or we are dull?

*NL isn't perfect but am happy it's not just another WordPress blog. I pray the owner can get a good team to make NL more social.
Please CMS lovers do not insult me if you don't like what am saying.

my brother, why struggle to dig what has already been dug
Re: Why Do Nigerians Love Cms, Plugins And Frameworks A Lot? by wethebest(m): 11:37am On May 01, 2015
mobolaji88:

there is a huge difference btwn a programmer and a developer...you're a programmer(a bit jobless one..no offense intended pls) and not a developer

did you just say jobless nd u said no offense when you hv done dat alrdy? as long u don't knw me, i will just ignore u.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Love Cms, Plugins And Frameworks A Lot? by Urine: 11:37am On May 01, 2015
pcguru1:
lol i just realized am in the webmaster section.... not programming so i can understand the post now. Goodbye all i don't belong here kiss

Loool...I almost quoted to say you should chill for these people o before I saw this. That said, your previous argument about "enterprise" is spot on!
Re: Why Do Nigerians Love Cms, Plugins And Frameworks A Lot? by Nobody: 11:39am On May 01, 2015
wethebest:

did you just say jobless nd u said no offense when you hv done dat alrdy? as long u don't knw me, i will just ignore u.
noted!!
Re: Why Do Nigerians Love Cms, Plugins And Frameworks A Lot? by Nobody: 11:51am On May 01, 2015
ascek:

This what my developer said.
[10:56, 5/1/2015] Olamide: That's why I said I vote for frameworks
[10:57, 5/1/2015] Olamide: Frameworks emcourage good coding while reducing production time
[10:57, 5/1/2015] Olamide: But they can be challenging to learn
[10:57, 5/1/2015] Olamide: As for cms, it's not good
[10:57, 5/1/2015] Olamide: Different cms for different things
[10:58, 5/1/2015] Olamide: But once one can be hacked, all can be hacked
[11:20, 5/1/2015] Olamide: Yii is also good
[11:20, 5/1/2015] Olamide: So is Symphony and Laravel
[11:20, 5/1/2015] Olamide: And codeigniter and cakephp
[11:20, 5/1/2015] Olamide: And phalcon
[11:20, 5/1/2015] Olamide: And zend
[11:20, 5/1/2015] Olamide: So many php frameworks
[11:21, 5/1/2015] Olamide: But when clients are in a hurry and are not willing to pay, developers will use cms
[11:21, 5/1/2015] Olamide: I could have used drupal or wordpress or joomla
[11:22, 5/1/2015] Olamide: But all these cms have issues. Once those issues start, fixing them may become a serious thorn

Your developer is right cms are not flexible using frameworks are better as they speed up development symfony, larvae are good too just that developers each have their taste. CMS always have an issue because they are built for a general use case it becomes hard to bend.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Love Cms, Plugins And Frameworks A Lot? by wethebest(m): 11:51am On May 01, 2015
most peeps here thinks that wen u design a website with cms full of fancy themes makes you a true web developer. do u guys see anything fancy abt nairaland? yet u re alws at it cox of its functions cox dats wht matas in programing and that makes u a developer not jst abt implementing themes, plugins on cms then you think you are nw a pro. how many of here u can develope a responsive website without cms but nairaland is responsive cox the owner stops depending on smf(small machine forum) nd tweak it to his taste whc wud not have be possible if he was not a programmer. to all d lazy acclaimed web developer, go and gear up cox the day an attack would visit your fancy cms, u wont be able to defend it cox u don't even knw how it ws coded.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Love Cms, Plugins And Frameworks A Lot? by tiwiex(m): 11:56am On May 01, 2015
I have thought of this lately. I have nothing against CMS as it has done 90% of your needs. What i worry about is the lack of skills to customize CMSs. That is a sign we don't have that many grounded programmers. Why is that? I think the foundation from school is all wrong. You meet a "computer scientist" who has never used the Linux operating system. That is the first red flag. Secondly, the system does not encourage effort. The first reason is more obvious. If we know the basics then the CMSs are more powerful.

The environment is not so easy too. The market is slim and too many complimentary requirements. Power, prevalence of the internet etc.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Love Cms, Plugins And Frameworks A Lot? by ibietela2(m): 12:03pm On May 01, 2015
directonpc:
Just wondering why our 99% percent of our websites and applications are based on some wysiwyg cms or framework. The sites with high traffic in Nigeria are mostly e-commerce sites and blogs running on one platform that was developed by some white guy somewhere.
Even simple non-dynamic html sites are built from templates in Nigeria. We are the Giants of Africa and this practice is won't up our game in the web development industry if u ask me.

*NL isn't perfect but am happy it's not just another WordPress blog. I pray the owner can get a good team to make NL more social.

All these make the easy and save time........ Y not save yourself the stress and use Bootstrap for the homepage?
Re: Why Do Nigerians Love Cms, Plugins And Frameworks A Lot? by Ladybluecash(f): 12:03pm On May 01, 2015
igbsam:

epic grin
tonguegrin
Re: Why Do Nigerians Love Cms, Plugins And Frameworks A Lot? by ibietela2(m): 12:10pm On May 01, 2015
pcguru1:

though i am thinking if making a Custom made cms with Yii2 it will look like Concrete 5 drag and drop sadly no community in Nigeria only me can't build such. all the CMS i use have a short coming

Everyone here in Nigeria wants to be alone....... Its better you host it on github, maybe contributors will come
Re: Why Do Nigerians Love Cms, Plugins And Frameworks A Lot? by talk2hb1(m): 12:34pm On May 01, 2015
Firstly Business wise it doesn't make sense building from scratch when you can easily build on what was on ground.
Secondly You are taking advantages of thousand experiences of diverse developers distributed globally not only their experience but their mistakes that you could make yourself (expensive one indeed)
Lastly Simply because you can doesn't mean you should wink wink wink.
Cheerio Habeeb Salami
Re: Why Do Nigerians Love Cms, Plugins And Frameworks A Lot? by directonpc(m): 12:57pm On May 01, 2015
I have took out time to read tru comments here. Thanks for your feedback it will help me to understand how our people think.
I have 3 points for you guys.
1. A developer is not always a business man(like coding for some clients) am very sure the person that developed WordPress didn't code it for a client and he didn't build it on some existing CMS. Let's have a sense of responsibility and make something new (like an invention).
2. For guys that are saying NL is based on SMF or some other framework if you look at NL over the years new features built from scratch are coming in, like the post sharing system, front page update * feature and the new AD system. NL might not be perfect but I can see some innovation in it.
3. Let's know that the use of cms and frameworks to some levels can kill your skills.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Love Cms, Plugins And Frameworks A Lot? by seggs101(m): 1:12pm On May 01, 2015
wethebest:
i tot am d only 1 noticing this in nigeria. whenever a new site is lunched, i will view the source lol nd behold is created with cms. jeez, why can't you guys jst learn these web programs. check this out Raycom, i design this site without any cms. why don't we start from scratch but wana become a pro overnite? i started coding 8 yrs ago and i realy enjoyed it and is fun. lets do it ourselves nd stop depending on cms.
hey bro, i visited the website. I must say i really loved it..plz tell me more about d site..if u did it urself why is it powerd by another site?
Re: Why Do Nigerians Love Cms, Plugins And Frameworks A Lot? by wethebest(m): 1:13pm On May 01, 2015
directonpc:
I have took out time to read tru comments here. Thanks for your feedback it will help me to understand how our people think.
I have 3 points for you guys.
1. A developer is not always a business man(like coding for some clients) am very sure the person that developed WordPress didn't code it for a client and he didn't build it on some existing CMS. Let's have a sense of responsibility and make something new (like an invention).
2. For guys that are saying NL is based on SMF or some other framework if you look at NL over the years new features built from scratch are coming in, like the post sharing system, front page update * feature and the new AD system. NL might not be perfect but I can see some innovation in it.
3. Let's know that the use of cms and frameworks to some levels can kill your skills.

tell dem cox they re just too lazy to code nd yet they call themselves programmer or developer.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Love Cms, Plugins And Frameworks A Lot? by wethebest(m): 1:14pm On May 01, 2015
seggs101:
hey bro, i visited the website. I must say i really loved it..plz tell me more about d site..if u did it urself why is it powerd by another site?

that site is my blog bro
Re: Why Do Nigerians Love Cms, Plugins And Frameworks A Lot? by smoothlips(m): 1:19pm On May 01, 2015
Hysmady:
CMS bus Stop
Try and buy sense naaa...as u no get sense u for jus read n learn
Re: Why Do Nigerians Love Cms, Plugins And Frameworks A Lot? by Agroinfotech: 3:07pm On May 01, 2015
It all depends on your purpose for creating the product and the revenue you intend to generate plus your timeframe. CMS and others are cool and its a good start for any serious webpreneur. If you have ever worked with our "so called programmers" who will toy with your projects and drain your pocket with nothing to show for it. Webpreneurs should know some basic aspects, all am concerned about is getting the JOB done!
In Nigeria, programmers ideas never leaves their hard drive and they keep hyping rubbish (no offense) but jumps at offers to pay their bills. If konga.com runs on magento with some added functions, will you call Sim shagaya a programmer, developer or entrepreneur?
Re: Why Do Nigerians Love Cms, Plugins And Frameworks A Lot? by clementcro(m): 4:16pm On May 01, 2015
directonpc:

OP, why are you digging your digging your well with digger when you have a borehole drilling machine?

Why are you sweeping your roads with brooms when you have a machine that sweep roads called sweeper?

Why are you grinding your pepper with grinding stone when you have a blender ?

Answer all these.....
Re: Why Do Nigerians Love Cms, Plugins And Frameworks A Lot? by FOREXMARTS: 5:47pm On May 01, 2015
just verifying, will you classify Adobe Muse as CMS?
Re: Why Do Nigerians Love Cms, Plugins And Frameworks A Lot? by pelij18(m): 6:11pm On May 01, 2015
directonpc:

If i may ask why are you making use of someone's programming language? Dont you think you should invent yours?

Hehehe..... Is never your business, everyone should follow their love and passion and not yours. By the way were you from sef?
Re: Why Do Nigerians Love Cms, Plugins And Frameworks A Lot? by souljaboi51(m): 6:11pm On May 01, 2015
cms ko, idumota ni grin grin grin
Re: Why Do Nigerians Love Cms, Plugins And Frameworks A Lot? by directonpc(m): 5:33pm On May 02, 2015
Finally my ban don expire
Re: Why Do Nigerians Love Cms, Plugins And Frameworks A Lot? by southwestngr: 8:49am On May 03, 2015
jcmaiah:

Nairaland was hacked even though they were not using CMS.

Nairaland was hacked at data center level not script level.

cms is not the way to go if you dont understand the whole thing.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Which Pays More In Lagos - Selling Clothes In Boutiques Vs Web Designing / Equitorial Bank Website Used For Interswitch 419 Scam / How To Get Started With Blogging In Less Than 5minutes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.