Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,409 members, 7,808,457 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:11 PM

Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US - Culture (22) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US (82206 Views)

Check Out Pictures Of The Igbo Farm Village In Virginia, USA / Igbo Community Built In Virginia USA See Photos. / Photos Of An Igbo Village Built In Virginia, USA (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by sukkot: 5:17pm On May 04, 2015
somegirl1:

Where's the link to this excerpt? I would like to see for myself what was replaced with ". . ." in this sentence "The Ibo . . .were considered"
hope his meets your expectations and demands

http://www.driskellcenter.umd.edu/programs/2003-2004/colloq/hall/igbo.pdf

1 Like

Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by somegirl1: 5:17pm On May 04, 2015
sukkot:
did you not google the excerpt ? yeah whatever it brings up is the link

All I've seen is links to truncated excerpts from the original article.
Perhaps I'm not searching correctly.
Can a great historian such as yourself assist?
Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by sukkot: 5:18pm On May 04, 2015
somegirl1:

All I've seen is links to truncated excerpts from the original article.
Perhaps I'm not searching correctly.
Can a great historian such as yourself assist?
aaiittt here you go. since you insist undecided

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by somegirl1: 5:18pm On May 04, 2015
sukkot:
hope his meets your expectations and demands

I saw that paper which also quotes the truncated version. That's not the original write up.
The omitted text is required for your argument to hold water.
Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by sukkot: 5:20pm On May 04, 2015
somegirl1:

I saw that paper which also quotes the truncated version. That's not the original write up
oh you not happy with that link ? that link is from an american university with ties to a british university. what you dont like american education shocked

1 Like

Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by somegirl1: 5:26pm On May 04, 2015
sukkot:
oh you not happy with that link ? that link is from an american university with ties to a british university. what you dont like american education shocked

It's the absence of the omitted text that removes from the credibility of the link you provided, in this debate. For all we know, the removed text might have explained that the tractable Igbos were the women or children or others from bight of Biafra who were identified as Igbo, as stated in the snapshot I provided in an earlier post.
Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by SirShymexx: 5:26pm On May 04, 2015
quimicababes:

Yes I am Trini and yea we mixed up as hell...my grandma was an Indian and grandpa had Chinese on his side lol.Most Black Trinis are not really pure compared to Tobago.How can I not know Dominica? Trini be the meeting country for Caribbean folks as many of us have parents and grandparents from the other islands.10% of our population is foreigners with folks from all over the Caribbean and the world lol.

African culture is indeed strong in the other islands.I don't think diaspora blacks hate Africans so much cuz of the "they sold me us line" well at least in the Caribbean.I think its more us having negative perceptions of Africa because of what we have been taught and what the media pushes.The general image is that of poverty,war, etc.Despite our challenges I would still say the average Caribbean folk have love for Africans especially as we had the Black Power movement,Rastafari,Shango/Spiritual Baptist bizness etc.

I just think Blacks on the whole don't like themselves and that it includes Africans I have interacted with...basically many of us have an inferiority complex.I be a proud darkie however grin cheesy shocked

Lol. I hear that. But there's also subtle rivalry between Jamaicans and other Caribbeans especially Trini folks. Most can't stand Jamaicans and calling them yardies always piss them off. Trini folks are cool though - home of carnival.

The whole of French Caribbean, from Dominica, to Martinique, to Guadeloupe - is quite interesting. Ditto Dutch Caribbean. However, it's just a pity that the history of most of these tiny Islands aren't well documented - especially the origins of the black populations in those countries.

Lmao...the hate is there, even if it's more subtle now.I grew up around Caribbeans, especially Jamaicans - and it used to be war in school back in the day. I fvcks with Caribs and I speak a little patois, so I should know. I think it's always less pronounced in places where the two groups are intertwined. However, when you go to places that are predominantly Carib - you will see it. In London for example, these days, everyone gets along. But in places like Birmingham and Leicester - once they know you're of African ancestry, especially the chics, the body language always change a little bit even if they can't tell you to ya face. Anyway, it's mutual cos a lot of Africans also feel the same way.

Being inferior is like bread and butter to black folks these days - that's our reality.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by sukkot: 5:32pm On May 04, 2015
somegirl1:

It's the absence of the omitted text that removes from the credibility of the link you provided, in this debate. For all we know, the removed text might have explained that the tractable Igbos were the women or children or others from bight of Biafra who were identified as Igbo, as stated in the snapshot I provided in an earlier post.
nonetheless, if you have been following the argument you will see that we switched gear to how it is not a good thing that almost all the slaves in america were igbos. like you hardly see any hausas or fulanis as slaves. why igbos ? why are all the slaves igbo ? is that a sign of weakness that they were the ones preyed on and enslaved etc etc. so its no more about bragging that slaves in america were brave but how brave are they really if they are the only people who got captured in nigeria ? you do know the strong prey on the weak so they had to have been the weak and hence they are not brave <<<< this was the new gear we had switched into undecided

1 Like

Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by somegirl1: 5:44pm On May 04, 2015
sukkot:
nonetheless, if you have been following the argument you will see that we switched gear to how it is not a good thing that almost all the slaves in america were igbos. like you hardly see any hausas or fulanis as slaves. why igbos ? why are all the slaves igbo ? is that a sign of weakness that they were the ones preyed on and enslaved etc etc. so its no more about bragging that slaves in america were brave but how brave are they really if they are the only people who got captured in nigeria ? you do know the strong prey on the weak so they had to have been the weak and hence they are not brave <<<< this was the new gear we had switched into undecided

I agree that it's nothing to be proud of that a large number of people from any Nigerian or African group were enslaved.
It does not point to our individual weaknesses rather it points to our weakness as a group/ race.
I wish there'd been no Igbo or Ejagham slaves in Virginia to engrave Nsibidi writing in stone in the first place.

I noticed you switched gear but felt the need to address the claims you made without credible sources to support them.
Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by Nobody: 5:46pm On May 04, 2015
SirShymexx:

Lol. I hear that. But there's also subtle rivalry between Jamaicans and other Caribbeans especially Trini folks. Most can't stand Jamaicans and calling them yardies always piss them off. Trini folks are cool though - home of carnival.

The whole of French Caribbean, from Dominica, to Martinique, to Guadeloupe - is quite interesting. Ditto Dutch Caribbean. However, it's just a pity that the history of most of these tiny Islands aren't well documented - especially the origins of the black populations in those countries.

Lmao...the hate is there, even if it's more subtle now.I grew up around Caribbeans, especially Jamaicans - and it used to be war in school back in the day. I fvcks with Caribs and I speak a little patois, so I should know. I think it's always less pronounced in places where the two groups are intertwined. However, when you go to places that are predominantly Carib - you will see it. In London for example, these days, everyone gets along. But in places like Birmingham and Leicester - once they know you're of African ancestry, especially the chics, the body language always change a little bit even if they can't tell you to ya face. Anyway, it's mutual cos a lot of Africans also feel the same way.

Being inferior is like bread and butter to black folks these days - that's our reality.

Boi that rivalry between Trini and Jamaicans be real.I always heard it but boi only after I met one at university and knew some personally I developed some dislike towards them.They got no manners and feel they are the best thing after slice bread.How you gonna be the 2nd majority illegal immigrant in a man's country and shit on him at the same time?That's why I developed some dislike...ungrateful bunch.Extremely selfish also.How I grew up and many of us we share readily but you will help Jamaicans but he/she wouldn't even want to buy you a drink.They just take but don't give.

I won't generalize though as I have met quite a bit of nice ones and sane ones but they are mostly the educated ones.I have met many Caribbean folks but it's only them I got turned off from which is weird since I am usually receptive to knowing folks culture and norms.I still got love for them as they be darkie and happy for whatever they achieve.

London be different compared to being in the Caribbean or probably I am surrounded more by blacks and mixed folks who kool with Africans.We got Africans here and we generally kool with them.When the government who are predominantly Indian rn tried to deport some of them a lot of darkies kicked against it and an Emancipation organization stepped in to defend them.I can say some Trinis nah like Naija folks cuz they be dishonest,do drugs and other illegal stuff.Jamaicans barely get along with anybody..again because they feel they are the best thing after slice bread and they are extremely aggressive..quick to fight.Would you say the other islanders you felt that strong of dislike towards Africans?
Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by sukkot: 5:49pm On May 04, 2015
somegirl1:

I agree that it's nothing to be proud of that a large number of people from any Nigerian or African group were enslaved.
It does not point to our individual weaknesses rather it points to our weakness as a group/ race.
I wish there'd been no Igbo or Ejagham slaves in Virginia to engrave Nsibidi writing in stone in the first place.

I noticed you switched gear but felt the need to address the claims you made without credible sources to support them.
well it was an unfortunate part of history and may i add that it was prophesied in the bible that we would be taken on slave ships to america. meaning ndigbos as well as yorubas and other west african tribe are the biblical jews of the bible. and the ones in israel today calling themselves jews are impostors. we are the real jews

3 Likes

Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by Nobody: 5:56pm On May 04, 2015
SirShymexx:

Btw the African I met didn't seem to dislike Caribbean folks..I dig those from Botswana..kool folks.I am well aware that some Africans do look down on Africans in the diaspora because we are deemed as culture-less...lack of having a particular ethnic group,roots and history.I can see how that would offend those in the diaspora.Same time diaspora think Africa be a cesspit of poverty and backward folks.I nah got time for it as both groups dislike each based on crap.

You nah like me cuz I be Caribbean..no problemo...keep it moving but I not gonna hate on Africans cuz of some messed up thinking people got in their head.Same time I got no time to dislike you if you be from Africa as we both gotta face racism and also I just got no time to hate on you.
Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by gatiano(m): 5:57pm On May 04, 2015
xaxaxaxaxaxaxax, We are in a world now, a new world, when someone will tell you that you are fair and you would reject it, You would say i'm black ooo, i'm blacker than the blackest. Even caucasians are now happy when they see a black dot somewhere on their skin, they call it melanin, and i will have a nice time laughing when i'm alone. xaxaxaxaxax
go tell baltimore or ferguson devils that you are fair xaxaxaxaxax, black people can be so funny.
PPAngel:

Google Jamaican slang ebo and see for yourself

Besides igbos have more fair skinned people than any group in southern Nigeria fact

Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by SirShymexx: 6:39pm On May 04, 2015
quimicababes:

Boi that rivalry between Trini and Jamaicans be real.I always heard it but boi only after I met one at university and knew some personally I developed some dislike towards them.They got no manners and feel they are the best thing after slice bread.How you gonna be the 2nd majority illegal immigrant in a man's country and shit on him at the same time?That's why I developed some dislike...ungrateful bunch.Extremely selfish also.How I grew up and many of us we share readily but you will help Jamaicans but he/she wouldn't even want to buy you a drink.They just take but don't give.

I won't generalize though as I have met quite a bit of nice ones and sane ones but they are mostly the educated ones.I have met many Caribbean folks but it's only them I got turned off from which is weird since I am usually receptive to knowing folks culture and norms.I still got love for them as they be darkie and happy for whatever they achieve.

London be different compared to being in the Caribbean or probably I am surrounded more by blacks and mixed folks who kool with Africans.We got Africans here and we generally kool with them.When the government who are predominantly Indian rn tried to deport some of them a lot of darkies kicked against it and an Emancipation organization stepped in to defend them.I can say some Trinis nah like Naija folks cuz they be dishonest,do drugs and other illegal stuff.Jamaicans barely get along with anybody..again because they feel they are the best thing after slice bread and they are extremely aggressive..quick to fight.Would you say the other islanders you felt that strong of dislike towards Africans?

Lol. I know how the rivalry can get hot. Somewhat similar to Nigeria vs. Ghana.

So, Trinis don't like Nigeria as well cos of drugs and illegal stuffs? -bwahahahaha. Nigerians have suffered on this planet! grin

Thank God I don't go anywhere as a Nigerian.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by SirShymexx: 6:43pm On May 04, 2015
quimicababes:

Btw the African I met didn't seem to dislike Caribbean folks..I dig those from Botswana..kool folks.I am well aware that some Africans do look down on Africans in the diaspora because we are deemed as culture-less...lack of having a particular ethnic group,roots and history.I can see how that would offend those in the diaspora.Same time diaspora think Africa be a cesspit of poverty and backward folks.I nah got time for it as both groups dislike each based on crap.

You nah like me cuz I be Caribbean..no problemo...keep it moving but I not gonna hate on Africans cuz of some messed up thinking people got in their head.Same time I got no time to dislike you if you be from Africa as we both gotta face racism and also I just got no time to hate on you.

I have never met anyone from Botswana, so I can't really say much about them. And yes, Africans do look down on Caribs. I believe that has more to do with Jamaicans than anything else. Most folks think all Caribs are Jamaicans and can't really tell the difference.

Regardless, a nyggah is a nyggah regardless of what niggerdom he/she is from. Then again, you also have to be careful about the enemy within and stupid nyggahs who just hate you for no reason cos you're from some niggerdom they don't like. So, while spreading the love and embracing ya blackness, you also need to be watchful of other black folks.

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by MrPresident1: 6:47pm On May 04, 2015
SirShymexx:

I have never met anyone from Botswana, so I can't really say much about them. And yes, Africans do look down on Caribs. I believe that has more to do with Jamaicans than anything else. Most folks think all Caribs are Jamaicans and can't really tell the difference.

Regardless, a nyggah is a nyggah regardless of what niggerdom he/she is from. Then again, you also have to be careful about the enemy within and stupid nyggahs who just hate you for no reason cos you're from some niggerdom they don't like. So, while spreading the love and embracing ya blackness, you also need to be watchful of other black folks.

Nigga Sirshymexx, the intrepid warrior of Ijebu . Greetings grin
Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by somegirl1: 7:08pm On May 04, 2015
sukkot:
well it was an unfortunate part of history and may i add that it was prophesied in the bible that we would be taken on slave ships to america. meaning ndigbos as well as yorubas and other west african tribe are the biblical jews of the bible. and the ones in israel today calling themselves jews are impostors. we are the real jews

If that translates into automatic tickets to Heaven for west Africans, I hope you are right wink
Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by sukkot: 7:16pm On May 04, 2015
somegirl1:

If that translates into automatic tickets to Heaven for west Africans, I hope you are right wink
well it depends on what you mean by heaven. keep in mind the pastors have been deceiving us for a very long time. heaven is not somewhere in the sky or hell under the ground. heaven and hell are conditions on earth. we in africa are in hell while the west is in heaven. we are jacob and they are esau. jacob vs esau. when one is up the other is down. so yes it is our turn to be in heaven next. meaning prosperity and wealth and development and civilization and joy and happiness is coming to africa next
Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by Ihuomadinihu: 7:18pm On May 04, 2015
somegirl1:

Lol.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by DollyParton1(f): 7:27pm On May 04, 2015
SirShymexx:

bwahahahaha. Nigerians have suffered on this planet! grin

angry angry angry
Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by SirShymexx: 7:29pm On May 04, 2015
DollyParton1:

angry angry angry

Estranged e-wife and my doll, shocked you remember me today. tongue

Erm, I take that back - I go everywhere as a Nyggah from a Nyggah-area.

Gatts rep, man. cool
Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by SirShymexx: 7:30pm On May 04, 2015
MrPresident1:

Nigga Sirshymexx, the intrepid warrior of Ijebu . Greetings grin

Salute from the Duke of Ijebuland. grin
Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by DollyParton1(f): 7:31pm On May 04, 2015
SirShymexx:

Estranged e-wife and my doll, shocked you remember me today. tongue

Erm, I take that back - I go everywhere as a Nyggah from a Nyggah-area.

Gatts rep, man. cool

Better. Gotta represent the green-white-green.
Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by Nobody: 7:33pm On May 04, 2015
SirShymexx:

Lol. I know how the rivalry can get hot. Somewhat similar to Nigeria vs. Ghana.

So, Trinis don't like Nigeria as well cos of drugs and illegal stuffs? -bwahahahaha. Nigerians have suffered on this planet! grin

Dunno..that rivalry do not make any sense to me between Jamaica and Trini.We nah do them anything to my knowledge and mind you that ish go way back to independence times..steupssssss.The average Trini nah care about Jamaica and her doings and happy when she represent the Caribbean.We nah got any reasons to migrate to Jamaica unless for vacation,education or business as our economy is better than theirs so it is not like we are taking their jobs or whatever.We nah take their women either as the South Africans and Ghanaian say you all Naija folks be doing them tongue grin

But boi Jamaicans got a big ego thinking everybody should bow to them cuz of Bob Marley and the others who put them on the map.Like Igbos they are everywhere too so I dunno.Btw I got no problem will Igbos or anybody. grin

Naija folks in Trini have both good and bad sides.A couple of them are doctors here and have done good for themselves.Plenty do menial jobs like security ,bar work etc but they are heavily in security. Some here are economic migrants who are involved in illegal acts.When the government targeted Africans due to the high crime rate is cuz of Naija folks involvement in drugs unlike other folks from Mali,Ghana,Botswana and other African countries.About a 2 months ago one got locked up cuz of drugs.Naija folks even scam Orisha devotees lolzzzzz claiming they be this and that babalawo undecided.I would say they command both respect and dislike depending on the circle and individuals...

Mind you we got big problems with drugs as we are nearer to Venezuela than our sister isle Tobago..you can literally see Venezuela in the south part of Trini...so we are a major route for drug traffickers.I see Naija folks just like Jamaican..cuz of their environment they are driven to succeed by any means necessary.I not hate on them for their quest to survive but just be cautious so as not to be duped.People are people at the end of the day.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by SirShymexx: 7:34pm On May 04, 2015
DollyParton1:

Better. Gotta represent the green-white-green.

Lol. Just as you need to start wearing my chain with pride on ya beautifully endowed body, ya get me? tongue

Err, when am I even getting a picture perfect view? grin
Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by AkanIgbo: 7:36pm On May 04, 2015
quimicababes:

Btw the African I met didn't seem to dislike Caribbean folks..I dig those from Botswana..kool folks.[b]I am well aware that some Africans do look down on Africans in the diaspora because we are deemed as culture-less...lack of having a particular ethnic group,roots and history.[/b]I can see how that would offend those in the diaspora.Same time diaspora think Africa be a cesspit of poverty and backward folks.I nah got time for it as both groups dislike each based on crap.

If Africans on the Continent are looking down on Africans in the diaspora, because we have no culture; then whose fault is that? Africans in the diaspora would have had culture, but for many of the ancestor of Africans that remained on the Continent. So if some Africans on the Continent have to look down on something then the Africans on the Continent should be looking down on their own ancestors and country folks; because those are the folks that carried out the many wicked acts that led to death and destruction of not only the lives of the slaves shipped out, but also of the people that remained on the Continent. Because as soon as the European had carried away the people that he needed to work in his fields new World; the European then turned his eyes to the Africans on the Continent and then he enslaved them. You can call it being colonized, but it still slavery and as proof he made Africans learn his European languages. So at the end of the day we all ended up being slaves, but at least the Africans in the diaspora can say that the European had to haul him away from his homeland to carry out his deeds. The Africans that remained on the Continent didn't even have that as an excuse; and to make matters worse they have to live with the knowledge that if they would have never engaged in that sick slave trade then there would have been enough people on the Continent to fight off to fight off the Europeans and their African allies.

So it is the ancestors who need to be looked down on, because they were the problem and they chased after filthy money and now we are all poor and serving the Europeans.

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by SirShymexx: 7:37pm On May 04, 2015
quimicababes:

Dunno..that rivalry do not make any sense to me between Jamaica and Trini.We nah do them anything to my knowledge and mind you that ish go way back to independence times..steupssssss.The average Trini nah care about Jamaica and her doings and happy when she represent the Caribbean.We nah got any reasons to migrate to Jamaica unless for vacation,education or business as our economy is better than theirs so it is not like we are taking their jobs or whatever.We nah take their women either as the South Africans and Ghanaian say you all Naija folks be doing them tongue grin

But boi Jamaicans got a big ego thinking everybody should bow to them cuz of Bob Marley and the others who put them on the map.Like Igbos they are everywhere too so I dunno.Btw I got no problem will Igbos or anybody. grin

Naija folks in Trini have both good and bad sides.A couple of them are doctors here and have done good for themselves.Plenty do menial jobs like security ,bar work etc but they are heavily in security. Some here are economic migrants who are involved in illegal acts.When the government targeted Africans due to the high crime rate is cuz of Naija folks involvement in drugs unlike other folks from Mali,Ghana,Botswana and other African countries.About a 2 months ago one got locked up cuz of drugs.Naija folks even scam Orisha devotees lolzzzzz claiming they be this and that babalawo undecided.I would say they command both respect and dislike depending on the circle and individuals...

Mind you we got big problems with drugs as we are nearer to Venezuela than our sister isle Tobago..you can literally see Venezuela in the south part of Trini...so we are a major route for drug traffickers.I see Naija folks just like Jamaican..cuz of their environment they are driven to succeed by any means necessary.I not hate on them for their quest to survive but just be cautious so as not to be duped.People are people at the end of the day.

So, there are Nigerians are in Trinidad and Tobago, no? shocked

Darn!! These muthaphuckas are everywhere.
Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by Nobody: 7:50pm On May 04, 2015
SirShymexx:

Yah.Last count there were a little over 1000 who are here illegally.Then it got the legal ones.Mostly males.Naija folks do braids really good tho...they are big here with that braiding.Most Naija folks are Igbo Naija...only met 6 Yoruba folks and that was through the local university and 1 Hausa.
Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by Nobody: 7:52pm On May 04, 2015
SirShymexx:

A good bit of them come to Trini illegally through South America.Land through Brazil..route to Venezuela and take a boat to Trini.From there they move up to the other islands.Gotta give it to Naija folks and there will to survive lol grin
Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by Nobody: 8:06pm On May 04, 2015
AkanIgbo:

If Africans on the Continent are looking down on Africans in the diaspora, because we have no culture; then whose fault is that? Africans in the diaspora would have had culture, but for many of the ancestor of Africans that remained on the Continent. So if some Africans on the Continent have to look down on something then the Africans on the Continent should be looking down on their own ancestors and country folks; because those are the folks that carried out the many wicked acts that led to death and destruction of not only the lives of the slaves shipped out, but also of the people that remained on the Continent. Because as soon as the European had carried away the people that he needed to work in his fields new World; the European then turned his eyes to the Africans on the Continent and then he enslaved them. You can call it being colonized, but it still slavery and as proof he made Africans learn his European languages. So at the end of the day we all ended up being slaves, but at least the Africans in the diaspora can say that the European had to haul him away from his homeland to carry out his deeds. The Africans that remained on the Continent didn't even have that as an excuse; and to make matters worse they have to live with the knowledge that if they would have never engaged in that sick slave trade then there would have been enough people on the Continent to fight off to fight off the Europeans and their African allies.

So it is the ancestors who need to be looked down on, because they were the problem and they chased after filthy money and now we are all
poor and serving the Europeans.

I got no time to look down on anybody both in the diaspora or on the continent.All groups of people have had their cultures compromised where the dominant culture is that of European for Chinese,Indians and Africans.So for those who might feel holier than thou I pity them because they don't understand though they speak their language and dance shoki...their everyday living is patterned to survive in a European society just like me.So who is kidding who?

I think Caribbean folks and others in the diaspora need to stop this hangover on being rejected because we are deemed as culture-less.Embrace those who embrace you and those who don't keep it moving.Culture is something groups re-create once it is destroyed based on their environment to survive.It should be tapped into an refined to wean it off of any pathological behaviors and strengthened and decided what other ingredients you want to add to it.Why shouldn't Jamaican folks be proud of the Rastafarian religion they created and the culture that comes with it?Same with Trinidadians who created Shango Baptist? Nah African-American have culture too?...don't let folks define to you what is culture.
Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by DollyParton1(f): 8:08pm On May 04, 2015
SirShymexx:

Lol. Just as you need to start wearing my chain with pride on ya beautifully endowed body, ya get me? tongue

Err, when am I even getting a picture perfect view? grin

Chain is for dogs. angry angry
A picture perfect view is of my beautifully endowed self is on my profile. Check it out. tongue tongue tongue
Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by somegirl1: 8:09pm On May 04, 2015
sukkot:
well it depends on what you mean by heaven. keep in mind the pastors have been deceiving us for a very long time. heaven is not somewhere in the sky or hell under the ground. heaven and hell are conditions on earth. we in africa are in hell while the west is in heaven. we are jacob and they are esau. jacob vs esau. when one is up the other is down. so yes it is our turn to be in heaven next. meaning prosperity and wealth and development and civilization and joy and happiness is coming to africa next

I don't see why we can't have Heaven right here and still make the biblical Heaven when we're gone. smiley

(1) (2) (3) ... (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (Reply)

Ooni Ogunwusi Pays Wuriaola's Dowry; New Wife Steps Out In Royal Wedding Outfit / 10 Most Expensive Cultures To Marry From In Nigeria / 131-year-old "Iya Orisa" Living Under Olumo Rock - Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 103
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.