Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,036 members, 7,807,107 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 09:37 AM

To The Atheist In The House. - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / To The Atheist In The House. (6228 Views)

Locked Up For Being An Atheist In Nigeria. . . / How To Destroy An Atheist In An Argument - 6 Steps / Will You Vote For An Atheist In An Election? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

To The Atheist In The House. by dalaman: 3:13pm On Feb 05, 2009
I can see that there are quite a handfull of atheist here,I'm very curious as to why you guys have chosen to accept this belief? there seems to be increasing evidence that the universe could not be as it is were it not for a supreme creator. Since I know I can not make you guys see any good reason to believe in the bible since most of you ridicule and make fun of the bible on a daily basis I will like to know how this belief system you have adopted helps in enhancing who you are and the society you live in? Without purpose and ultimate consequence, where do you guys think morality comes from? I believe in Jehovah the God of the bible, I also believe that he is the only Supreme Being who created the whole universe and actively takes part in it(there are stories and testaments of his goodness and blessing every where). He characterizes perfection and exits as a three in one being (the Trinity). He has existed before time and outside of the physical universe. I just want to know what prevents you from doing bad to the rest of the world or what prevents you from displaying the "me" attitude towards the rest of the world and what you guys are hoping to meet when you die?
Re: To The Atheist In The House. by Ovamboland(m): 4:26pm On Feb 05, 2009
Can we deduce morality from the founding of the nation of Israel as recorded in the Old Testament?

I beg am not atheist ooo grin

3 Likes

Re: To The Atheist In The House. by bindex(m): 8:07pm On Feb 05, 2009
dalaman:

I can see that there are quite a handfull of atheist here,I'm very curious as to why you guys have chosen to accept this belief? there seems to be increasing evidence that the universe could not be as it is were it not for a supreme creator. Since I know I can not make you guys see any good reason to believe in the bible since most of you ridicule and make fun of the bible on a daily basis I will like to know how this belief system you have adopted helps in enhancing who you are and the society you live in? Without purpose and ultimate consequence, where do you guys think morality comes from? I believe in Jehovah the God of the bible, I also believe that he is the only Supreme Being who created the whole universe and actively takes part in it(there are stories and testaments of his goodness and blessing every where).

I am an atheist as a result of a very lengthy personal and philosophical search. Atheism isn't really a belief, it's a lack of belief in God. So I do not choose to believe in God because I have yet to hear an account of God or a God that has any evidence or internal consistency.
The fact that we were all brought up with the belief in one deity or the other doesn't make it true. Its all about purpose and we all make our own purpose.I feel this lack of belief allows me to make judgments free of superstition but based on facts.
Even those that believe in God are making their purpose regardless of whatever their religion says they should make it some religious people turn their back on the prescribed purpose to do other things they find more interesting to them some discard what ever the see as an outright contradiction to the personality they have come to attribute to their God. As for the bible you have it to read for yourself and let us know how you believe that it is infallible and the word of a perfect God. I don't like discussing God out side the bible or the koran and since you are a Christian I will like you to see all the attributes assigned to the bibleGod and tell us if it you can reconcile it with what you see happening in the world today.

And as for morality there is very little morality to be learned in the bible, Pls read the old testament and tell me what kind of morality is there to be learned in that book. My morals stem from empathy and logic. If you feel for other people, you will personally feel bothered if you were to steal something from them even though you might not express the feeling. If I do good to others, it is more than likely that they will return good in kind. If I do evil to others, the opposite holds true. Since I'd much rather that people are good to me, it is in my best interest to do good to them. Fear of punishment or expectation of reward in an afterlife is not necessary to encourage moral behaviour in human beings. We have the impetus right here in the life we're living on this earth. Empathy is a trait most of us have which causes us to feel badly if we cause harm to others. The development of empathy can be accounted for by evolution. The basic philosophy in life with regards to morals is very simple. Do not do to others what you do not want to be done to yourself. If everyone could simply practice that. The world should be a much better place. You don't need any God to practice that.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: To The Atheist In The House. by mnwankwo(m): 8:36pm On Feb 05, 2009
@Bindex

I am an atheist as a result of a very lengthy personal and philosophical search. Atheism isn't really a belief, it's a lack of belief in God. So I do not choose to believe in God because I have yet to hear an account of God or a God that has any evidence or internal consistency.

If you have the time and you are willing, I suggest that you examine the work "In The Light of Truth- The Grail Message" by Abdrushin. Cheers.
Re: To The Atheist In The House. by huxley(m): 9:02pm On Feb 05, 2009
dalaman:

I can see that there are quite a handfull of atheist here,I'm very curious as to why you guys have chosen to accept this belief? there seems to be increasing evidence that the universe could not be as it is were it not for a supreme creator. Since I know I can not make you guys see any good reason to believe in the bible since most of you ridicule and make fun of the bible on a daily basis I will like to know how this belief system you have adopted helps in enhancing who you are and the society you live in? Without purpose and ultimate consequence, where do you guys think morality comes from? I believe in Jehovah the God of the bible, I also believe that he is the only Supreme Being who created the whole universe and actively takes part in it(there are stories and testaments of his goodness and blessing every where). He characterizes perfection and exits as a three in one being (the Trinity). He has existed before time and outside of the physical universe. I just want to know what prevents you from doing bad to the rest of the world or what prevents you from displaying the "me" attitude towards the rest of the world and what you guys are hoping to meet when you die?

Hello and welcome to the discussion.

I see you believe in Jehovah of the bible. Why don't you believe in Allah or Thor or Sango or the myriads of other gods that exist?

Looking forward to your response.

Thankz

1 Like

Re: To The Atheist In The House. by dalaman: 9:23pm On Feb 05, 2009
huxley:

Hello and welcome to the discussion.

I see you believe in Jehovah of the bible.    Why don't you believe in Allah or Thor or Sango or the myriads of other gods that exist?

Looking forward to your response.

Thankz

I don't believe in the other gods because Jesus says he is the way the truth and the life. My personal experiences have shown me how REAL Jesus is. I don't believe in allah because I know for certain that the koran was plagiarised from the bible. Jesus is real you only have to walk with him to know that there is no other God out there except him. I also believe that my morals do stem from the Bible.I believe that the bible is the infallible word of God. I ask this question, because I wonder why you live in this prescribed way of living if there is no eternal consequence for your action.
Re: To The Atheist In The House. by huxley(m): 9:51pm On Feb 05, 2009
dalaman:

I don't believe in the other gods because Jesus says he is the way the truth and the life. My personal experiences have shown me how REAL Jesus is. I don't believe in allah because I know for certain that the koran was plagiarised from the bible. Jesus is real you only have to walk with him to know that there is no other God out there except him. I also believe that my morals do stem from the Bible. I ask this question, because I wonder why you live in this prescribed way of living if there is no eternal consequence for your action.

But the others gods also claimed to the true way to salvation and other people who follow these other gods (such as moslems, hindus, sihks) also report real personal experience with their gods.

The god of the Christians and the Christian religions was largely plagiarised from the existing religions and pagan myths of the middle and near east. Almost NOTHING about Jesus and the life he led was unique and original to him. I shall bring an old thread in which I discuss this at some length.

As per moral, I bet you DO NOT get your morals from the bible. I you did you would be a very bad person indeed. Let me remind of some of the moral injunction mandated by the bible:

1) A parent is to kill their child if the child were to curse them.

2) A rape woman must marry their rapist

3) Humans are to be given as sacrificial animals to god

4) People to be stone to death for working on the sabbath, adultery, etc.

5) One should make plans and care about the future

6) One should not defend onself againts miscreants

7) One should cut off ones bodily parts for fear of sinning.

The above just a few of the moral instructions from the bible. Now, which of these do you observe?
Re: To The Atheist In The House. by bindex(m): 11:33pm On Feb 05, 2009
dalaman:

there seems to be increasing evidence that the universe could not be as it is were it not for a supreme creator. .

You believe that the universe is created the way it was described in the book of genesis? by the way which of the creation stories in genesis are we supposed to believe in? since there are 2 different creation stories in the the 1st and 2nd chapters of genesis. Did the bibleGod really create tigers, lions, polar bears, and cheetahs as vegetarians despite their carnivorous dentition? Is the earth the centre of the universe ? the bible says it is. Is Adam the whole of humanity of just one man? Do you believe in the tower of babel story? is that how differences in languages really come about?

Since I know I can not make you guys see any good reason to believe in the bible since most of you ridicule and make fun of the bible on a daily basis I will like to know how this belief system you have adopted helps in enhancing who you are and the society you live in?

We always ridicule the bible because it contains fables that only deluded freaks believe in it. Fables like the Noah's story that some Christians now admit is an allegorical tale because deep inside they just can not accept the story any more so the excuse is to say it is an allegorical tale but it was reported as a real event in the bible to their shame. Did they Israelites really travel from Egypt to Canaan in 40 years?(such a journey even at that time would have taken less than a month) Why did the bible good all of a sudden loose all his powers? why don't we have stories of people surviving inside the belly of fish for 3 days or surviving hot furnaces like the story of Shadrach and his other two friends any more? what about talking snakes and donkeys? Why is the bibleGod unable to kill off the enemies of his "chosen people" as he is found of doing in the old testament?

where do you guys think morality comes from?

And what morality is there to learn in the bible? killing of gays, disobedient children? (A child who hits or curses his parents must be executed. 21:15, 17), stoning to death of some one because he disobeyed a law as trivial as picking up sticks on a Sabbath? what moral is there to lean in this story? The Ark of the Covenant was a sacred item. The ancient Hebrews commonly believed that God played a part of a genie by residing in the ark on occasion. so he killed 70 people just because they looked into the ark what is the moral of this story? Uzzah’s instinctive, split-second decision to prevent God’s home from falling angers God enough to kill him despite the fact that he was trying to prevent the ark from falling (2 Samuel 6:6-7). this action by the bibleGod made David angry with him grin grin grin grin, Women are relegated to the background by the bibleGod in the old testament.

1Sa 15:2 This is what the Lord Almighty says: 'I will punish the Amalekites for what they did to Israel when they waylaid them as they came up from Egypt.
1Sa 15:3 Now go, attack the Amalekites and totally destroy [fn] everything that belongs to them. Do not spare them; put to death men and women, children and infants, cattle and sheep, camels and donkeys.' "

Deuteronomy 20:16 "But of the cities of these peoples which the LORD your God gives you [as] an inheritance, you shall let nothing that breathes remain alive,

God sends forth two bears to kill forty-two children for making fun of Elisha’s bald head (2 Kings 2:23-24). Why would the omni benevolent God feel the necessity to have two bears viciously maul little children for acting like children?

1ki 20:35 By the word of the Lord one of the sons of the prophets said to his companion, "Strike me with your weapon," but the man refused.

1Ki 20:36 So the prophet said, "Because you have not obeyed the Lord, as soon as you leave me a lion will kill you." And after the man went away, a lion found him and killed him.

The bibleGod sends a lion kill a man because he refuses to hit someone

When people worship other Gods the bibleGod sends "his chosen" to kill them instead of giving them the chance to repent and serve him. If the Israelites his "chosen people" turn their backs against their God he allows their enemies to kill them off. He punishes innocent people for the "sins" of their parents. The bibleGod advocates slavery, sharing of war booty, accepts human sacrifice. Strongly advocates tribalism, racism and segregation. Go read up the bible all those vices are there for you to see.

"The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty, ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticide, genocidal, pestilential, megalomaniac, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully"

There is no morals to learn out of the bible God. The basic law of doing unto others as you would like them to do unto you does not require any belief in any God.

I believe in Jehovah the God of the bible, I also believe that he is the only Supreme Being who created the whole universe and actively takes part in it(there are stories and testaments of his goodness and blessing every where)

As for the testament of the goodness of the bibleGod, let me give you a short story of what happened last week. I went to Jos and spent about 10days with my cousins, it happened that we were all going to Abuja on the same day with my 3 cousins. I travelled with my boss (where I am presently doing my NYSC we came to Jos together to do a project), while my cousins used the the family car. Before my boss came to take me, I went into the room to pack up my things when my aunt called us all to come and pray, I told them to go ahead and pray while I pack my things up. My aunt became furious and started shouting telling me to come and pray because prayer is much more important than what I was doing. She almost embarrassed me. To cut a long story short I came out and they began to pray. In the might name of Jesus bla bla bla Jesus may you be the drive,God may you cover the car with the blood of your son Jesus Christ, may armed robbers be blind folded when the see the car passing by, may their guns become a dud. You shall be the driver, and you shall give my Children a safe trip to Abuja bla bla bla bla bla. After she finished praying my aunt now said I am free to do what ever I want to do but I should always remember to put God first, because he is the only person that grants journey mercies. My boss came and then we took off I and him in his car while my cousins followed us about 20 mins later, when we got to karu my cousins called me and told that they just had an accident in Akwanga (Nassarawa state). A reckless driver was trying to over take another car so they had to stay of the road so as to avoid a head on collision with the reckless driver, they went into the bush and their car collided with a tree. They all hit their body parts but they were lucky nothing serious happened to any of them. Now they are organizing a thank giving service on Sunday to give money to the church(money they would have used to repair the car) and thank God for allowing them to have an accident. grin grin grin They prayed passionately to God to protect them from any form of accident but he didn't , now its time to go and thank him in a grand way in the Church for not protecting them and allowing them to have an almost ghastly accident, do you see how senseless this whole belief is? people just believe in things even though it doesn't make any sense. They believe in God but they are always making excuses for him, always apologizing and explaining all these actions that they attribute to their God that he always refuses to live up to.

6 Likes

Re: To The Atheist In The House. by bawomolo(m): 11:39pm On Feb 05, 2009
what increasing evidence do you speak of?
Re: To The Atheist In The House. by huxley(m): 9:52pm On Feb 06, 2009
Where is this poster gone?
Re: To The Atheist In The House. by mctowel01: 8:40am On Dec 11, 2016
huxley:
Where is this poster gone?
haha He is now an atheist

2 Likes

Re: To The Atheist In The House. by MrMontella(m): 9:11am On Dec 11, 2016
funny how tides change!

1 Like

Re: To The Atheist In The House. by jackydon(m): 10:01am On Dec 11, 2016
Nice one bindex
Re: To The Atheist In The House. by Evangkatsoulis: 5:44pm On Apr 28, 2017
dalaman:

I don't believe in the other gods because Jesus says he is the way the truth and the life. My personal experiences have shown me how REAL Jesus is. I don't believe in allah because I know for certain that the koran was plagiarised from the bible. Jesus is real you only have to walk with him to know that there is no other God out there except him. I also believe that my morals do stem from the Bible.I believe that the bible is the infallible word of God. I ask this question, because I wonder why you live in this prescribed way of living if there is no eternal consequence for your action.
Sir(as an atheist now) what did you mean by the bolded?
I want to understand how the christian brain works.

1 Like

Re: To The Atheist In The House. by kevoh(m): 6:00pm On Apr 28, 2017
dalaman even had personal experiences that made him believe Jesus but the devil still got him grin ... Mr. Dalaman , Please contact our resident estate manager for your mansion in hell.

3 Likes

Re: To The Atheist In The House. by hopefulLandlord: 6:03pm On Apr 28, 2017
kevoh:
dalaman even had personal experiences that made him believe Jesus but the devil still got him grin ... Mr. Dalaman , Please contact our resident estate manager for your mansion in hell.

CC: Hahn
Re: To The Atheist In The House. by lfleak: 6:23pm On Apr 28, 2017
Lol! Atheists be like:

America doesn't exist.I have never been to America and seen it with my own eyes,I have only heard about It on the news and internet therefore it must be fake.All pieces of footage and photos that were taken from "America" were actually taken in a film studio in brussels

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: To The Atheist In The House. by Richirich713: 6:32pm On Apr 28, 2017
lfleak:
Lol! Atheists be like:

America doesn't exist.I have never been to America and seen it with my own eyes,I have only heard about It on the news and internet therefore it must be fake.All pieces of footage and photos that were taken from "America" were actually taken in a film studio in brussels

grin
Re: To The Atheist In The House. by lepasharon(f): 6:35pm On Apr 28, 2017
Chai the devil finally got dalaman cheesy
Re: To The Atheist In The House. by hopefulLandlord: 6:38pm On Apr 28, 2017
Evangkatsoulis:
. Sir(as an atheist now) what did you mean by the bolded? I want to understand how the christian brain works.
Hehehehehehehehe
Re: To The Atheist In The House. by Nobody: 6:46pm On Apr 28, 2017
dalaman:

Most of the people in the past hadn't had the logic to explain natural phenomena. They didn't know why/how sun rises, it rain, they dream and so on..... They started to relate those things to gods and then, to God. Religion was a system created by men to those God/gods.

Brain and consciousness are related. Once brain die, then consciousness will end. After you die, there is nothing. You don't even know you are dead. There is no difference between 1 second or 1 trillion years to yon, because there is no you.

Be happy and comfortable that everything(happiness, sadness, love, life, etc.....) has limits. Death is the greatest gift you will get. smiley wink cheesy grin

"Death is nothing to us, since when we are, death has not come, and when death has come, we are not" - Epicurus(BC 341-270)
Re: To The Atheist In The House. by dalaman: 6:57pm On Apr 28, 2017
Evangkatsoulis:
Sir(as an atheist now) what did you mean by the bolded?
I want to understand how the christian brain works.

It was just my mind acting or following patterns that it was indoctrinated with and made to accept as supernatural events or occurance.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: To The Atheist In The House. by lfleak: 7:07pm On Apr 28, 2017
Hati13:

Most of the people in the past hadn't had the logic to explain natural phenomena. They didn't know why/how sun rises, it rain, they dream and so on..... They started to relate those things to gods and then, to God. Religion was a system created by men to those God/gods.

Brain and consciousness are related. Once brain die, then consciousness will end. After you die, there is nothing. You don't even know you are dead. There is no difference between 1 second or 1 trillion years to yon, because there is no you.

Be happy and comfortable that everything(happiness, sadness, love, life, etc.....) has limits. Death is the greatest gift you will get. smiley wink cheesy grin

"Death is nothing to us, since when we are, death has not come, and when death has come, we are not" - Epicurus(BC 341-270)
mr.. ur location..
coming for your life!
Re: To The Atheist In The House. by hopefulLandlord: 7:15pm On Apr 28, 2017
lfleak:
Lol! Atheists be like:

so, where is/are the photo(s) or film(s) of what you call god?

2 Likes

Re: To The Atheist In The House. by Nobody: 7:15pm On Apr 28, 2017
kevoh:
Hahaha

1 Like

Re: To The Atheist In The House. by Nobody: 7:18pm On Apr 28, 2017
its called conscience....
Re: To The Atheist In The House. by Nobody: 7:19pm On Apr 28, 2017
lfleak:
Lol! Atheists be like:

ive seen a more senseless analogy..

1 Like

Re: To The Atheist In The House. by lfleak: 7:21pm On Apr 28, 2017
joshysmartie:

ive seen a more senseless analogy..
yea, a small-scale beam can't do better!
Re: To The Atheist In The House. by hahn(m): 7:23pm On Apr 28, 2017
hopefulLandlord:

CC: Hahn

Chai tongue

1 Like

Re: To The Atheist In The House. by lfleak: 7:25pm On Apr 28, 2017
hopefulLandlord:

so, where is/are the photo(s) or film(s) of what you call god?
Ooo you are waiting for a pictorial or physical presentation, then that's not God... God exist in everything created! I even created some threads here which no atheist care to contribute.. why??

https://www.nairaland.com/3722319/these-deniable
https://www.nairaland.com/3677741/mathematical-miracles-holy-quran-must
Re: To The Atheist In The House. by Nobody: 7:27pm On Apr 28, 2017
lfleak:
Ooo you are waiting for a pictorial or physical presentation, then that's not God... God exist in everything created! I even created some threads here which no atheist care to contribute.. why??

i never knew people preach islam...
Re: To The Atheist In The House. by hopefulLandlord: 7:30pm On Apr 28, 2017
lfleak:

you haven't answered my question, be consistent please

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Physcical Bodies Dwelling In Spiritual Heavens - Viaro, Lets Chat It Through. / Audio / I Find Church Services Boring

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 112
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.