Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,474 members, 7,808,704 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:42 PM

Would You Rather Keep Your Baby On Your Chest Or At Your Back? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Would You Rather Keep Your Baby On Your Chest Or At Your Back? (1483 Views)

Nurse Helps Deliver A Baby On A Train In Lagos (Photo) / Male Staff Of ABU, Zaria Backing His Baby On Campus (Photo) / Wife Quarrels With Husband, Dumps Six-month-old Baby On Waste (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Would You Rather Keep Your Baby On Your Chest Or At Your Back? by Mamagidi(f): 1:55pm On May 05, 2015
Mothers, where would you rather hold your child? Tied to your back, or strapped on your chest? What informs mothers’ choices? Is it just the fact that using a wrapper to tie the kid to the back is old-fashioned, or because it doesn’t appear as sophisticated as the chest strap, with all its buckles and varying designs?

Conservative mothers will tell you that the baby carrier is foreign; wrappers were what our mothers and mothers’ mothers used! I once heard a mother- in a bid to discourage the use of modern baby carriers- quoting how she witnessed another woman’s carrier coming undone as she crossed a road. According to the narrator, the baby fell right out and onto the ground.

Her point: the wrapper is more secure than the baby carrier, especially since you use another smaller wrapper (called oja in Yoruba) to tie securely.

Here’s another scenario: A first-time mom ‘backs’ her baby on a visit to an official (who happens to be a mother too). The official scolds her for not using a baby carrier.

Her reason: A baby carrier is modern and less ‘crude’. It makes for better Mother-Child bonding as mom can talk to the child whenever. The mother is also able to keep an eye on her baby- something that she can’t do if the child were on her back.

Personally too, I don’t like the idea of strangers touching a child on the back of his mother, but some women say the baby carriers give them chest rashes. Others complain that carriers weigh on the hips and causes pains.

So, really, Front or Back, which would you prefer?

For tips on style, beauty, relationships, parenting & health; Visit www.mamagidi.com
Re: Would You Rather Keep Your Baby On Your Chest Or At Your Back? by Feranchek(m): 2:07pm On May 05, 2015
Even a man enjoys wrapper. It's more convenient for me and other people I know. I remember by niece of 7yrs, carrying her kid bro with a wrapper, twas quite a lovely view and she was quite good with him!!
Re: Would You Rather Keep Your Baby On Your Chest Or At Your Back? by Eesha: 2:10pm On May 05, 2015
Back is more convenient for working, my LO sleeping better and reducing d associated chest pain with front carrying. I only use the front carrier in malls
Re: Would You Rather Keep Your Baby On Your Chest Or At Your Back? by Mamagidi(f): 2:33pm On May 05, 2015
Feranchek:
Even a man enjoys wrapper. It's more convenient for me and other people I know. I remember by niece of 7yrs, carrying her kid bro with a wrapper, twas quite a lovely view and she was quite good with him!!

Isn't it more classy to have a baby strapped to your chest?
Re: Would You Rather Keep Your Baby On Your Chest Or At Your Back? by Feranchek(m): 2:40pm On May 05, 2015
Mamagidi:

Isn't it more classy to have a baby strapped to your chest?
For me, it's not bout class buh convenience. Buh if my wife prefers a baby carrier, good for her. Buh when she call me to carry baby, "sweeti'm, biko find me wrapper to carry Alvarez for back" cheesy

1 Like

Re: Would You Rather Keep Your Baby On Your Chest Or At Your Back? by Skillfullulu(m): 2:42pm On May 05, 2015
This lazy girls and their lazy attitude, did their mother strap em to their chest? No she tied em on her back. These yeye style, I hate it a lot.
Re: Would You Rather Keep Your Baby On Your Chest Or At Your Back? by Mamagidi(f): 2:44pm On May 05, 2015
Feranchek:

For me, it's not bout class buh convenience. Buh if my wife prefers a baby carrier, good for her. Buh when she call me to carry baby, "sweeti'm, biko find me wrapper to carry Alvarez for back" cheesy

cheesy cheesy cheesy

1 Like

Re: Would You Rather Keep Your Baby On Your Chest Or At Your Back? by Mamagidi(f): 2:46pm On May 05, 2015
Skillfullulu:
This lazy girls and their lazy attitude, did their mother strap em to their chest? No she tied em on her back. These yeye style, I hate it a lot.

What if it's not laziness and they are just following the trend?
Re: Would You Rather Keep Your Baby On Your Chest Or At Your Back? by CHM11: 3:08pm On May 05, 2015
For me I think both will do depending on what she wants to do at the moment and where she intends going to.

If for example my wife wants to do the dishes, and she also wants to carry the baby the same time, I think the wrapper and backing the baby will do just fine.

If she is going out with me for an outing, if she's ok with the baby strapped to her chest, fine by me.

When she changes occasionally, it doesn't cause strains on one part of her body.

All in all, its her choice and preference.
Re: Would You Rather Keep Your Baby On Your Chest Or At Your Back? by Mamagidi(f): 3:29pm On May 05, 2015
CHM11:
For me I think both will do depending on what she wants to do at the moment and where she intends going to.

If for example my wife wants to do the dishes, and she also wants to carry the baby the same time, I think the wrapper and backing the baby will do just fine.

If she is going out with me for an outing, if she's ok with the baby strapped to her chest, fine by me.

When she changes occasionally, it doesn't cause strains on one part of her body.

All in all, its her choice and preference.

What if she straps the baby to her back when she goes out with you? wink
Re: Would You Rather Keep Your Baby On Your Chest Or At Your Back? by Skillfullulu(m): 3:33pm On May 05, 2015
Mamagidi:

What if it's not laziness and they are just following the trend?
its a useless trend I'll never allow.

1 Like

Re: Would You Rather Keep Your Baby On Your Chest Or At Your Back? by CHM11: 3:38pm On May 05, 2015
Mamagidi:

What if she straps the baby to her back when she goes out with you? wink
If that's what she prefers, fine by me, we are in Nigeria and there are classy ways a woman will do that.

But I prefer the baby strapped in front. Its safer, classier, mature and nice....but if she feels pains or inconvenience then she can carry the baby on her back or even her head self. Its her choice.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Why Is The Three Digits "419" Associated With Fraud? / My Yoruba Husband’s Family Won’t Stop Complaining That Am An Igbo Woman / Couples, How Do You Handle Fart?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.