Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,471 members, 7,808,699 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:36 PM

The Stupidest Things That Ruined The Jonathan Presidency - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Stupidest Things That Ruined The Jonathan Presidency (4750 Views)

Dickson: Jonathan’s Presidency Was A Waste For Ijaws / 6 Buhari's Pictures That ruined Nigeria - Verge24.com / Jonathan Has Ruined The Economy, APC Governors Cry Out (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Stupidest Things That Ruined The Jonathan Presidency by demantruth2: 10:22pm On May 05, 2015
By Bámidélé Adémólá-Olátéjú

The Jonathan presidency has a history of indelicacies and its politics, a genre of farce. Much of his time in the saddle will be remembered for its usual execrable standards in the form of bad policy and decision-making, outright gaffes and stultifying indifference to pressing national issues. His media chat through which he communicated was often a piquant mélange of dull and hotheaded rhetoric. Through the years, his appearances became events, where all he does is to amuse himself. We must give him credit though, unlike most politicians, he means whatever he says.

Barely three months after he was sworn in, in 2011, Mr. Jonathan showed he had none of the raw materials of moral sentiment required of a President. When he was asked if the attack on the United Nations building in Abuja will have any adverse effect on the image of Nigeria, the president said, “Of course, wherever you have terrorist attack in any country, Nigeria is not an isolated case. Many countries have suffered from terrorists attacks, may be it is the turn of Nigeria. But we are on top of the situation”. He statement shocked Nigerians and caught us napping!

In June of 2012, in response to the question of public declaration of his assets; he showed he doesn’t riff on orthodoxies. “The issue of public asset declaration is a matter of personal principle…That is the way I see it, and I don’t give a damn about it, even if you criticise me from heaven. When I was the Vice President, that matter came up, and I told the former President, let’s not start something that would make us play into the hands of people and create an anomalous situation in the country.” How is that for a President? His response revealed a general lack of restraining inner core for someone holding a public office. The “I don’t give a damn” comment became his body language and the defining cliché of his presidency.

When questioned on poverty, the President did not waste time to state his objectively disordered view. “I visited Kenya recently on a state visit and there was a programme for Nigerian and Kenyan business men to interact and the number of private jets that landed in Nairobi that day was a subject of discussion in Kenyan media for over a week…If you talk about ownership of private jets, Nigeria will be among the first 10 countries, yet they are saying that Nigeria is among the five poorest countries… Some of you will experience that there is an amount of money you will give to a Nigerian who needs help and will not even regard it and thank you but if you travel to other countries and give such an amount, the person will celebrate.” Wow! By this time Nigerians knew, they have entered “one chance”. Every interview of his, became a tour de force performance where arrogance and inane cattiness were at play.

Have you ever wondered why corruption thrived and became official policy under Goodluck Jonathan? The answer is not far fetched. He believes there is no corruption in Nigeria, he can only think of thieves. With his peculiar doctoral distinction, he said: “What many Nigerians refer to as corruption is actually stealing. Stealing is not the same thing as corruption.” Throughout his presidency, he was star-struck by the résumé of his cabinet members and content with spending his presidential days in the BarcaLounger while his unelected women take control of the country. Hear him, “CNN has said our economy is growing. The best Economists are at the World Bank. Now you have all these Nigerian economists talking nonsense. Do they know better than CNN or World Bank?” When calls mounted for the petroleum minister to appear before the legislators, he said; “The Petroleum Minister has appeared before the Parliament for over 200 days…in the Nigerian Parliament you’ll agree with me that there is more politics than work.” On the alleged $20billion that was not remitted to the Federation account, brought to light by former Central Bank Governor Sanusi Lamido Sanusi, the President came out swinging. He was more eager to discredit Sanusi than investigate his thieves. “Twenty billion dollars is a lot of money. If you steal $20 billion today, America will know. It is their money. Where will you hide the money? Even Dangote that is celebrated as the richest man in Africa today can not produce such amount of money…”

At every media appearance, questions for the President ranged from security to the economy and infrastructural provisions. Of course, he botched everything. From the half-hearted state of emergency, the Buni Yadi Killing to the Chibok girls abductions. He was totally indifferent to the brutality of terrorism and the mass slaughter in the North-East. “We believe that wherever these girls are, we will get them out. What we request is maximum cooperation from the parents and the guardians of these girls. Up till this time, they have not been able to come out clearly to give the police the identity of the girls that are to return. The police have records of 44 of them, while the principal mentioned to me on Saturday night that 53 have returned but the police have record of 44. I recently set up a committee to go to Borno State, we will provide the security.” What!

Here are some of his memorable quotes:
“The PDP must win the south west and salvage the region from rascals.”
“If I go there or send any of my ministers they will just kill you.”
“Niger Delta militants are not terrorists, they have a reason for their agitations.”
“I met Asari-Dokubo for the first time in the State House. Whenever we call them they come.”
“They are making provocative statements that will set this country ablaze. How can someone tell me that such people are senior citizens. They are not senior citizens and they can never be. They are ordinary motor park touts.”
“If you put a goat where yam is, it will eat it, if you put people where money is, they will steal it”

I asked my friends on Facebook to list the stupidest things done or said by Jonathan that ruined his presidency. Each and everyone of the above statements from Mr. Jonathan were cited. No one captured the public persona presented to the world by the President better than Lekan Ogundipe. He wrote, “He gained notoriety with his malapropism, inverted logic, colourlessness, disingenuosness, character deficiency, shameless dramatisation of his moronic propensities, high-profile stupidly, paradoxical mental laziness and intellectual hollowness and brazen corruption. In all these, he ranks unbeaten as the most unpresidential President Nigeria will ever have. Surely he and his wife deserve a joint award for comical ineptitude!” What more can I add?

The Jonathan presidency is a costly joke on us. As it is, the Buhari presidency will have its work cut out for it. The treasury is empty! Unless they prosecute the major actors, the stolen money is gone for good. Last week Mr. Jonathan revealed his sense of humour by saving the best for the last as defined in his practical postulations to his party members on stomach politics. He said, “So I encourage members of our party to remain loyal to the party, not to be so disillusioned because we lost presidential election and decide to go where they think they will fill their stomachs or something. It’s not easy. I have been here for five years plus, you hardly satisfy even 15 percent of those who work for you…So those people running and those already cross-carpeting, they will come back on an empty stomach because they will touch the primary members of their party, before they get to you. They know you are coming because you are hungry, before it will get to you the food will be gone.” This is the rallying philosophy of the Jonathan’s presidency. Unfortunately it took us 6years of unprecedented plunder to find out.

Soon, it will be May 29 and Jonathan will join the rank of ex-Presidents and most certainly cast himself as a statesman, but we know better. History will not be kind to him. He will be remembered as a prisoner of two islands: his pockets and his women. He will be cast as an eunuch, without values nor beliefs, who clanked hard on Nigeria for ill. We will remember him for knitting religion into our political fabric to the point of disintegration and his lack of moral leadership will not escape our minds. For a long time to come, we will remember his tired, senseless and scattered rhetoric. It helped us rid this country of him.

Bámidélé Adémólá-Olátéjú maintains a weekly column on Politics and Socioeconomic issues every Tuesday. She is a member of Premium Times Editorial Board. Twitter @olufunmilayo

18 Likes 5 Shares

Re: The Stupidest Things That Ruined The Jonathan Presidency by Nobody: 10:23pm On May 05, 2015
Everybody want to say something, when they pick up their pen, they write gibberish in long sentences

4 Likes

Re: The Stupidest Things That Ruined The Jonathan Presidency by demantruth2: 10:37pm On May 05, 2015
gbl01:
Everybody want to say something, when they pick up their pen, they write gibberish in long sentences

How?

These are verbatim by the president

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Stupidest Things That Ruined The Jonathan Presidency by Nobody: 10:39pm On May 05, 2015
demantruth2:

How?

These are verbatim by the president

You know what the word 'verbatim' means?

1 Like

Re: The Stupidest Things That Ruined The Jonathan Presidency by demantruth2: 10:41pm On May 05, 2015
gbl01:

You know what the word 'verbatim' means?

I know go school now

8 Likes

Re: The Stupidest Things That Ruined The Jonathan Presidency by Nobody: 10:42pm On May 05, 2015
demantruth2:

I know go school now

Of course... You 'know' go school

2 Likes

Re: The Stupidest Things That Ruined The Jonathan Presidency by Dansy(f): 10:47pm On May 05, 2015
Mr president Jonathan, na wa for u

2 Likes

Re: The Stupidest Things That Ruined The Jonathan Presidency by demantruth2: 10:48pm On May 05, 2015
gbl01:

Of course... You 'know' go school

You'll never get the joke.

You are implying that you understand something and yet, you failed to
understand the imprint of a statement.

The words in quote, what are they?

It appears you lack comprehension of what's written

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Stupidest Things That Ruined The Jonathan Presidency by Nobody: 10:49pm On May 05, 2015
demantruth2:

Yes sir! But you see 'no' and 'know' are different in meanings-no joke on that

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Stupidest Things That Ruined The Jonathan Presidency by theV0ice: 10:52pm On May 05, 2015
His whole presidency was dogged by gaffes......but jah be praised.....its at an end

This write up is a fatality. See finishing

I asked my friends on Facebook to list the stupidest things done or said by Jonathan that ruined his presidency. Each and everyone of the above statements from Mr. Jonathan were cited. No one captured the public persona presented to the world by the President better than Lekan Ogundipe. He wrote, “He gained notoriety with his malapropism, inverted logic, colourlessness, disingenuosness, character deficiency, shameless dramatisation of his moronic propensities, high-profile stupidly, paradoxical mental laziness and intellectual hollowness and brazen corruption. In all these, he ranks unbeaten as the most unpresidential President Nigeria will ever have. Surely he and his wife deserve a joint award for comical ineptitude!” What more can I add?

Nothing more to add

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Stupidest Things That Ruined The Jonathan Presidency by demantruth2: 10:54pm On May 05, 2015
gbl01:

drab!

i know go school...
go school is english?

pleaseeee
you'll still not get the joke

5 Likes

Re: The Stupidest Things That Ruined The Jonathan Presidency by ifyan(m): 10:58pm On May 05, 2015
Abeg op what about you.
Re: The Stupidest Things That Ruined The Jonathan Presidency by demantruth2: 11:04pm On May 05, 2015
ifyan:
Abeg op what about me.

Find what defines you there

1 Like

Re: The Stupidest Things That Ruined The Jonathan Presidency by Nobody: 11:08pm On May 05, 2015
“Niger Delta militants are not terrorists, they have a reason for their agitations.”

On Point
Re: The Stupidest Things That Ruined The Jonathan Presidency by demantruth2: 11:17pm On May 05, 2015
barcanista:

On Point

I know you'll say this with your anus.

Habaa, reason for a second now. That will not be three much for you, atleast.

After all these militant handouts, are we going to continue with their next generation, too

What happens, if the oil goes the way of tire tube (we now use tubeless)?

8 Likes

Re: The Stupidest Things That Ruined The Jonathan Presidency by tit(f): 11:23pm On May 05, 2015
the stupidest thing hat ruined Jonathan presidency is hate.
people like you just hated the man for no just cause.
and you will reap what you sow.
insha Allahu!

1 Like

Re: The Stupidest Things That Ruined The Jonathan Presidency by demantruth2: 11:35pm On May 05, 2015
tit:
insha Allahu!

Sisi eko, who hating on who?

Jonathan or the 15 Million+ that voted against him

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Stupidest Things That Ruined The Jonathan Presidency by jemype(m): 2:48am On May 06, 2015
what is there to like about jonathan?
tit:
insha Allahu!

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Stupidest Things That Ruined The Jonathan Presidency by rusher14: 4:30am On May 06, 2015
There's nothing to like about a leader who goes a-partying hours after his very domain had been torn to pieces by terrorists.

With hardly the blood of the innocent dried was he seen pelvis-to-buttocks, swaying to the cacophony of praise singers. Perhaps a sign of triumph or mere stupidity.

A despot who has shown callousness and a moral compass that is obviously broken.

He is an unlikeable character who neither displays charm nor intelligence.

A leader who would be consigned to the annals of Nigerian history as unbelievably clueless and a consumate failure of catastrophic proportions.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Stupidest Things That Ruined The Jonathan Presidency by tit(f): 5:30am On May 06, 2015
rusher14:
There's nothing to like about a leader who goes a-partying hours after his very domain had been torn to pieces by terrorists.

With hardly the blood of the innocent dried was he seen pelvis-to-buttocks, swaying to the cacophony of praise singers. Perhaps a sign of triumph or mere stupidity.

A despot who has shown callousness and a moral compass that is obviously broken.

He is an unlikeable character who neither displays charm nor intelligence.

A leader who would be consigned to the annals of Nigerian history as unbelievably clueless and a consumate failure of catastrophic proportions.

i bet you have not eaten since the nyanya bombing.
you have not taken a bath and you are wearing sorrow like a dress.
if mallam shekau and ogwuche see you, they will sorry for themselves and stop thier evil jihad plans.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Stupidest Things That Ruined The Jonathan Presidency by blacksta(m): 5:38am On May 06, 2015
The man was a walking caterpillar...finally put to an end. Thank God for that

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Stupidest Things That Ruined The Jonathan Presidency by rusher14: 6:35am On May 06, 2015
tit:

i bet you have not eaten since the nyanya bombing.
you have not taken a bath and you are wearing sorrow like a dress.
if mallam shekau and ogwuche see you, they will sorry for themselves and stop thier evil jihad plans.

Being the president requires intelligence, empathy and a certain je nais se quoi severely lacking in Mr. Jonathan's repertoire.

I have the results of the elections to back me up.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Stupidest Things That Ruined The Jonathan Presidency by jazinogold(m): 6:42am On May 06, 2015
na wa o....all this emergency writers all cos of GEJ! thank God GEJ don gv una work do....

1 Like

Re: The Stupidest Things That Ruined The Jonathan Presidency by emmyw(m): 6:52am On May 06, 2015
Names Of The Newly 12 Universities And
4 Polytechnics That FG Inaugurated

http://www.ngschoolz.com/names-of-the-newly-12-universities-and-4-polytechnics-that-fg-inaugurated/

1 Like

Re: The Stupidest Things That Ruined The Jonathan Presidency by Volksfuhrer(m): 7:48am On May 06, 2015
demantruth2:

Bwahahahahahahaha...

Please don't waste your time with that poster.

1 Like

Re: The Stupidest Things That Ruined The Jonathan Presidency by dridowu: 7:51am On May 06, 2015
hmm
Re: The Stupidest Things That Ruined The Jonathan Presidency by coputa(m): 7:54am On May 06, 2015
If those statement were credited to GEJ,then he is really a democrat.Others before him said worst.We will live to remember him.

1 Like

Re: The Stupidest Things That Ruined The Jonathan Presidency by chacoonder(m): 7:55am On May 06, 2015
I think the stupidest thing he did was the chaos he caused on Jan 1st,2012 (He increased the pump price while Nigerians were still celebrating the New Year)... Or wait o

It should be the insentinent Kano presidential campaign rally he went for , a day after the attack in Nyanyan,Abuja that led to the death of over 70 young and promising Nigerians.

Or
maybe his church hob-nobbing.Believing only the pastors could bring his 2nd term ambition alive. grin

Or
When he knelt before the Kings & absorbing curses thinking it was heavenly prayers grin

Or
his public promulgation that stealing is not corruption grin

....to be continua grin

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Stupidest Things That Ruined The Jonathan Presidency by Horlufemi(m): 8:02am On May 06, 2015
emmyw:
Names Of The Newly 12 Universities And
4 Polytechnics That FG Inaugurated

http://www.ngschoolz.com/names-of-the-newly-12-universities-and-4-polytechnics-that-fg-inaugurated/

you mean secondary schools?
Re: The Stupidest Things That Ruined The Jonathan Presidency by emmyw(m): 8:17am On May 06, 2015
Horlufemi:

you mean secondary schools?
Check the link,not secondary schools sir.
Re: The Stupidest Things That Ruined The Jonathan Presidency by ADAMUdaCOWBOY: 8:24am On May 06, 2015
gbl01:

In pidgin English those rules don't apply.
Re: The Stupidest Things That Ruined The Jonathan Presidency by Canme4u(m): 8:36am On May 06, 2015
barcanista:

On Point

2 Likes 3 Shares

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ndigbo: The Director Of Radio Biafra, Nnamdi Kanu Will Lead You To Failure. / Picture Of Lokoja Stadium, Country Of Western Nigeria / Senate Asks Presidency To Submit Confab Report For Consideration

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.