Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,356 members, 7,800,715 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 02:46 AM

Soyinka Denies Blasting The Igbos, Says Whoever Believes He Did Is A slowpoke - Politics (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Soyinka Denies Blasting The Igbos, Says Whoever Believes He Did Is A slowpoke (28922 Views)

Ajibola, Ajimobi’s Daughter Denies Blasting LAUTECH Students / Biafra: We Are Igbos – Says Asari Dokubo (see Video) / Fani-kayode Reacts To Oba Of Lagos Alleged Threat To Igbos, Says Its Ominious An (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Soyinka Denies Blasting The Igbos, Says Whoever Believes He Did Is A slowpoke by Nobody: 3:50pm On May 06, 2015
You say our own WS doesn't deserve the illustrious NP.Who else, then? I think you're contradicted by your own limitations as regards the works of Wole Soyinka.Have you read Death and the King's Horsemen, The Strong Breed, Swamp Dwellers etc.? Or, his essay at Oxford University's Reith's Lecture, 2004, titled:Climate of Fear:Quest for Dignity in a Dehumanized World?
Idiots don't mount the hallowed platform at Reiths.Not many Africans have been so honoured.
As far as prose or narratives go, Chinua Achebe was unmatched in Africa.That's why Things Fall Apart easily became the best African novel of the last century.But, in terms of poetic playwriting, Soyinka is first amongst many equals; a William Shakespeare reborn, And interestsingly, they have the same initials.People like Soyinka are one-offs, they've risen above the ordinary level, and you've got to give it to them, acknowledge their eccentricity.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Soyinka Denies Blasting The Igbos, Says Whoever Believes He Did Is A slowpoke by Eshinwaju: 4:03pm On May 06, 2015
baba wole said it....do ur worst.... grin grin...Igbos r not consequential to Nigeria like d last electn proved.. grin

1 Like

Re: Soyinka Denies Blasting The Igbos, Says Whoever Believes He Did Is A slowpoke by Sobeautiful: 4:11pm On May 06, 2015
emmatok:

Yes he deserves the right to call you people SLOWPOKES , for using his name on your useless article.
Thank you so much. You and Soyinka have won. We are slowpokes. Congrats for establishing that we are slowpokes. So be happy for your achievement. I wish u more of a great achievement like this in future. Well done and more grease to your elbow!!!
Re: Soyinka Denies Blasting The Igbos, Says Whoever Believes He Did Is A slowpoke by jersey24: 4:16pm On May 06, 2015
HERE NAIRALAND WILL BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR BRO-CASTING UNVERIFIED NEWS
Re: Soyinka Denies Blasting The Igbos, Says Whoever Believes He Did Is A slowpoke by nightmile: 4:18pm On May 06, 2015
I dont know why these slow poke and morons (Baba Wole pls borrow me another one) always have this exagerated impression about themselves. They are very quick at calling the yotubas cowards and i wonder if they actually know cowards are identified at the war front. A group leader that abandoned his people and flee to Drogba's village, leaving brave Calabar man to fight till the end and surrender is been seen as a heroe.

Can we comare such a run away soldier with the black scorpion-the tormentor who whipped his ass and took his took his land?

Abeg reason am..

2 Likes

Re: Soyinka Denies Blasting The Igbos, Says Whoever Believes He Did Is A slowpoke by hunri(m): 4:32pm On May 06, 2015
oyeludef:
at dis rate, you will soon be chained in yabaleft
Obviously, He will soon be chained.

2 Likes

Re: Soyinka Denies Blasting The Igbos, Says Whoever Believes He Did Is A slowpoke by discusant: 4:34pm On May 06, 2015
OREMUSSANCTUS:
I swear down, dis soyinka guy no deserve nobel price
Wetin d guy don write sef
Lion and d ....... I don forget d name
He's a shame, he shld go learn from d Achebe's
Say no to "change"
We nid transformation
I pray and hope we won't regret voting out transformation

Even moi, can't remember the name of Soyinka's books that earned him Nobel prize in Literature.
Re: Soyinka Denies Blasting The Igbos, Says Whoever Believes He Did Is A slowpoke by taharqa: 4:40pm On May 06, 2015
OK.

I thought as much..... Very good, Prof.

#Respect
Re: Soyinka Denies Blasting The Igbos, Says Whoever Believes He Did Is A slowpoke by angelsing(m): 4:43pm On May 06, 2015
Chigold101:
well talking about video evidence. Who did the recording? Has it been edithed? These are what we must ask ourselves. Another thing is, can there be smoke without fire.

What i know is that there must be some level of truth in tha write up
You just want the statement to be true so u can justify all ur insult on Soyinka..Just reading that statement credited to him was just hard to believe, the choice of words and tenses used were just low compare to the way Soyinka speaks naturally

4 Likes

Re: Soyinka Denies Blasting The Igbos, Says Whoever Believes He Did Is A slowpoke by Blackfire(m): 4:46pm On May 06, 2015
On behalf of those who insulted oga soyinka because of the abragatabra comment pinned to him,i say sorry sir, "e ma binu"
but wait o oga soyinka, the slowpoke na the brodcasters or the receivers or the accepters?
Re: Soyinka Denies Blasting The Igbos, Says Whoever Believes He Did Is A slowpoke by Nobody: 4:52pm On May 06, 2015
Ngeneukwuenu the yoruba hermaphrodite....He is the slowpoke Soyinka is talking about.

ozoigbondu:
l knew he would deny it.They always deny it.Anyways time to modify some unsavoury comments l made in the other thread thanks to that ngeneukwuenu
Re: Soyinka Denies Blasting The Igbos, Says Whoever Believes He Did Is A slowpoke by angelsing(m): 4:59pm On May 06, 2015
Chigold101:
i would have stood by you brother. But things are different now. Since the end of the war many people see us as less humans and go ahead making stu.pid comments.

The doctor who said igbos should be killed later came out to deny it.

Oba of Lagos also denied his own comment.

Soyinka like any of those people who didnt like GEJ, can say anything against a people that supported their enemy.

Do u really think there is no comment which Wole made that trigered anger & accrimony in the heart of that writer who posted it from cable?

I still believe that in every romour there is some level of reality. Even smoke wont come out with fire, even if it is from moter engine.
Have u ever consider there might be people trying to cause a discord between us?...You just so wish this Statement credited to soyinka to be true

3 Likes

Re: Soyinka Denies Blasting The Igbos, Says Whoever Believes He Did Is A slowpoke by deletrue: 5:06pm On May 06, 2015
arsetalks:
Ironic that same north voted for him in 2011? Defend that and please, it is extremely difficult for me to read pigin ( not forming ). Make it easier for us to educate each other by writing in proper English. Please.
I don tire you hear? Ok, am tired, do you understand? I declare you the winner. This Nairaland nor go kill me
Re: Soyinka Denies Blasting The Igbos, Says Whoever Believes He Did Is A slowpoke by ideykwum: 5:23pm On May 06, 2015
Are you sure you went to school?

I seriously doubt that!

theV0ice:

Congrats on not being 1diotic enough to join in the bash GMB bandwagon

I don't have to go on a search to identify the slowpoke erudite Soyinka had in mind.

If you believed the great man said the rubbish ascribed to him, you're a slowpoke. That's Soyinka's verdict and I am in full agreement.
Re: Soyinka Denies Blasting The Igbos, Says Whoever Believes He Did Is A slowpoke by ideykwum: 5:25pm On May 06, 2015
Mr. Einstein, a description meant to be offensive is not an insult I rest my case! This is a case of stark lunacy!!

Just so you know, the meaning of a word depends on the context in which it is used. If you didn't have your head in the clouds during your JS2 class, you'd have known this! Stop brandishing dictionaries, learn both nominal and contextual meanings!

theV0ice:

See the definition of the word Soyinka used which was translated "slowpoke"

1 usually offensive : a person affected with mild mental retardation
2 : a very stupid person

Its not an insult....its a description meant to be offensive. Get a dictionary and cure your ignorance.

Once again, if you believe the Soyinka who spoke up for the deprived people of the Niger Delta in their agitation against the FG said all that rubbish ascribed to him, you're a SLOWPOKE incapable of rational thought.

If you believe the same Soyinka who went to jail for defending the biafran cause, would say all that trash ascribed to him, you're nothing but a SLOWPOKE.

Re: Soyinka Denies Blasting The Igbos, Says Whoever Believes He Did Is A slowpoke by ideykwum: 5:36pm On May 06, 2015
I agree with you! Even though Soyinka is bombastic, you'd forgive him if you read poems like Moremi, Civilian and Soldier, and even Abiku (some prefer John Pepper Clark's version)! Even his less recognised works like "The Trials of Bro Jero/Jero's Metamorphosis" are deep in their literary appeal! I still use a line from The Lion and Jewel to toast chicks: "My heart burst forth in flowers for you, and yet you and the rest of the village trample them with feet of ignorance"! Lol! It always softens the girl's heart, except she is a money-monger or outright street trash! Now, give me a mentally sound girl anyday! Throw in the right shape and face, and I'd worship at her shrine!

leanfarmer:
You say our own WS doesn't deserve the illustrious NP.Who else, then? I think you're contradicted by your own limitations as regards the works of Wole Soyinka.Have you read Death and the King's Horsemen, The Strong Breed, Swamp Dwellers etc.? Or, his essay at Oxford University's Reith's Lecture, 2004, titled:Climate of Fear:Quest for Dignity in a Dehumanized World?
Idiots don't mount the hallowed platform at Reiths.Not many Africans have been so honoured.
As far as prose or narratives go, Chinua Achebe was unmatched in Africa.That's why Things Fall Apart easily became the best African novel of the last century.But, in terms of poetic playwriting, Soyinka is first amongst many equals; a William Shakespeare reborn, And interestsingly, they have the same initials.People like Soyinka are one-offs, they've risen above the ordinary level, and you've got to give it to them, acknowledge their eccentricity.
Re: Soyinka Denies Blasting The Igbos, Says Whoever Believes He Did Is A slowpoke by ideykwum: 5:39pm On May 06, 2015
My dear, it's "pidgin" not "pigin". And yes, I understand write pidgin very well...

arsetalks:
Ironic that same north voted for him in 2011? Defend that and please, it is extremely difficult for me to read pigin ( not forming ). Make it easier for us to educate each other by writing in proper English. Please.
Re: Soyinka Denies Blasting The Igbos, Says Whoever Believes He Did Is A slowpoke by theV0ice: 6:29pm On May 06, 2015
ideykwum:
Mr. Einstein, a description meant to be offensive is not an insult I rest my case! This is a case of stark lunacy!!

Just so you know, the meaning of a word depends on the context in which it is used. If you didn't have your head in the clouds during your JS2 class, you'd have known this! Stop brandishing dictionaries, learn both nominal and contextual meanings!

If you like, don't give up Mr dumbo. If a description of your trait rubs you the wrong way, change....that's what sensible people do.

In case you're blind and hard of hearing, I'll repeat that

If you believed the Soyinka who wasn't afraid to stand with the Igbos when almost all Nigeria was against them would say the rubbish ascribed to him, you're nothing but an irredeemable SLOWPOKE.

If you believed the same Soyinka, whom the Niger Delta militants entrusted their negotiations with the FG to, said all that nonsense ascribed to him, you're a SLOWPOKE incapable of rational thought.

3 Likes

Re: Soyinka Denies Blasting The Igbos, Says Whoever Believes He Did Is A slowpoke by theV0ice: 6:34pm On May 06, 2015
ideykwum:
Are you sure you went to school?

I seriously doubt that!

Is that all you have? That's a short form of ''i have nothing sensible to say'' Mr dumbo......try another line or shut up
Re: Soyinka Denies Blasting The Igbos, Says Whoever Believes He Did Is A slowpoke by adozie(m): 6:52pm On May 06, 2015
Oh cap'n : I read it and I knew there was never a chance he said something like that. Only those who do not understand that this man is the most detrabilized Nigerian will ever think he will say that.

Ahoy Cap'n Blood; salye on !
Re: Soyinka Denies Blasting The Igbos, Says Whoever Believes He Did Is A slowpoke by coolvitus(m): 7:08pm On May 06, 2015
SirBrightoc:
Thanks Prof for refuting the story promptly.
Those mischief makers who are bent on causing disaffection between one tribe and the other should pls stop the madness. War will do no one good. Stop the hate campaigns.
To commentators, pls lets verify sources before we begin to call names and add fuel to little fire.
Though we speak different languages, we are one; created by the same God; together in one country called Nigeria. AT LEAST FOR NOW.
LET'S RESPECT ONE ANOTHER.
. We are one as humans but we are different ppl we are not a nation if u care to check the dictionary meaning of nation pls we are not one in any shape or form
Re: Soyinka Denies Blasting The Igbos, Says Whoever Believes He Did Is A slowpoke by SirBrightoc(m): 8:10pm On May 06, 2015
coolvitus:
. We are one as humans but we are different ppl we are not a nation if u care to check the dictionary meaning of nation pls we are not one in any shape or form
Dear,
We may not be one 'nation', but we are citizens of one COUNTRY - NIGERIA. Suffice it to say that you are a Nigerian and I am a Nigerian, and that makes us one: Igbo, Hausa or Yoruba. No matter how you may interpret it, we are
(1) all Nigerians
(2) all Africans
(3) all humans
(4) created by the same God

If you can not deny any of the above, suffice it then to say that we are one.
Re: Soyinka Denies Blasting The Igbos, Says Whoever Believes He Did Is A slowpoke by WOCKHARDI(m): 9:41pm On May 06, 2015
Can video recordings be edited? As in ' Cut and Join ' before being released to the public ? Just asking.
Re: Soyinka Denies Blasting The Igbos, Says Whoever Believes He Did Is A slowpoke by illiad: 10:28pm On May 06, 2015
Soyinka was in full support of Biafra, he even went to jail because the nigeria government thought he was helping Ojukwu.

Based on that, Bros Kongi is Discharged & Acquitted.
Re: Soyinka Denies Blasting The Igbos, Says Whoever Believes He Did Is A slowpoke by luggy(m): 10:47pm On May 06, 2015
SOYINKA And OBA of LAGOS LAGOO are mad people, they don't deserved respect in this country
Re: Soyinka Denies Blasting The Igbos, Says Whoever Believes He Did Is A slowpoke by Charlesdock(m): 11:01pm On May 06, 2015
OREMUSSANCTUS:
I swear down, dis soyinka guy no deserve nobel price
Wetin d guy don write sef
Lion and d ....... I don forget d name
He's a shame, he shld go learn from d Achebe's
Say no to "change"
We nid transformation
I pray and hope we won't regret voting out transformation
he wrote more than that go check his biography
Re: Soyinka Denies Blasting The Igbos, Says Whoever Believes He Did Is A slowpoke by Zeus777: 11:02pm On May 06, 2015
ideykwum:

hmmmm, so did the igbos consider these ur "contextual" meanings b4 they started throwing their tantrum at the Oba of lagos while the ndigbo chiefs present at the meeting wt the Oba where laughing and applauding him??
Re: Soyinka Denies Blasting The Igbos, Says Whoever Believes He Did Is A slowpoke by Nobody: 11:04pm On May 06, 2015
Charlesdock:
he wrote more than that go check his biography
I only say d lion and d jewel
Re: Soyinka Denies Blasting The Igbos, Says Whoever Believes He Did Is A slowpoke by ideykwum: 11:05pm On May 06, 2015
There is no context that justified what the Oba said or did! I'm not Igbo, but I know when bullshit hits the fan! Let's not defend the indefensible!

Zeus777:
hmmmm, so did the igbos consider these ur "contextual" meanings b4 they started throwing their tantrum at the Oba of lagos while the ndigbo chiefs present at the meeting wt the Oba where laughing and applauding him??
Re: Soyinka Denies Blasting The Igbos, Says Whoever Believes He Did Is A slowpoke by Rose2014: 11:12pm On May 06, 2015
NgeneUkwenu:

Gbawe, you know I don't do such! He actually said those words! And I have made my comment. You can g

Ngeneukwuenu how market?
Re: Soyinka Denies Blasting The Igbos, Says Whoever Believes He Did Is A slowpoke by Zeus777: 11:17pm On May 06, 2015
ideykwum:
There is no context that justified what the Oba said or did! I'm not Igbo, but I know when bullshit hits the fan! Let's not defend the indefensible!

now there is no such thing as context? Ok I hear u
Re: Soyinka Denies Blasting The Igbos, Says Whoever Believes He Did Is A slowpoke by Remarkable: 12:50am On May 07, 2015
adeekiti:
But why would someone sit in his/her house and carry fake news, mehn e no easy to be a celebrity o grin

That is eh? it beats me!

I read the first time it broke on NL and I did ask where in that particular OP it stated Igbos were greedy...

Unfortunately, dear Wole, it is your kinsmen that seem to be more preoccupied with Igbo presidency than Igbos themselves, and so I suspect those Yorubas that can't stop talking about Igbos...to be the ones that had no shame in printing such fallacy against you.

You defined them aptly though: cowards.

.. and morons of course. Desperate moddafuc-king morons.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Thugs Burn House In Onne, Eleme, Rivers State (Photos) / Janet Museveni Visits Aisha Buhari (Photos) / Awara Biokpombo Risks Disqualification As He Flouts INEC Campaign Rules

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.