Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,698 members, 7,805,865 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 07:34 AM

Kate Osamor Elected As MP For Edmonton In Uk ( Photos) - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Kate Osamor Elected As MP For Edmonton In Uk ( Photos) (18528 Views)

Lady Gaga Protests As Trump Is Elected President Of The United States (photo) / Kate Brown, First Lesbian Governor (LGBT) Elected In The U.S.A / Uk Labour Party Suspends Mp For Allegedly Sending Sex Explicit Msg(pictured) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Kate Osamor Elected As MP For Edmonton In Uk ( Photos) by argon500: 8:43am On May 08, 2015
NATIONAL Health Service (NHS) manager Kate Osamor has become the fourth Nigerian-born elected member of the British House of Commons after being elected as the MP for Edmonton in north London yesterday. Representing the Labour Party who had a generally bad night across the country, Ms Osamor was declared the winner in the north London seat with 25,388 votes. Her closest rival, Gonul Daniels of the Conservative Party ended up with 9,969 votes, making it a comfortable win for Ms Osamor.

She now joins fellow Labour MPs Chi Onwurah representing Newcastle Central, who was returned with 19,301 votes and Chuka Umunna who was returned in Streatham with 26,474 votes. Helen Grant, the sole Nigerian MP in the Conservative Party is still awaiting the results of her election in Maidstone and the Weald. Ms Osamor, who has worked for the NHS for 15 years, is a trade union activist, a women's charity trustee and a member of the Labour Party's National Executive Committee. Martha Osamor, Ms Osamor's mother is a former Haringey councillor.

In February this year, Ms Osamor was selected as the Labour Party's parliamentary candidate for the Edmonton constituency after stiff contest with fellow Nigerian diasporan Kate Anolue. She made funding the NHS, opposing its fragmentation and standing up to government cuts the centrepiece of her campaign. Despite this victory for the Labour Party in Edmonton, nationwide, the party appears to have had a disastrous result. It is expected to lose about 50 seats in Scotland alone to the Scottish National Party, who now have 56 members of parliament and in England, has made zero net gains against the Conservative Party.

Prime minister David Cameron looks set to be return to Downing Street with a working majority this time as his coalition partners the Liberal Democrats got more or less obliterated. Leading Liberal Democrats like Danny Alexander, Vince Cable, Simon Hughes and Charles Kennedy all lost their seats in what was a disastrous night for the party.

Source: http://www.nigerianwatch.com/news/6927-nigerian-kate-osamor-elected-as-mp-for-edmonton-as-david-cameron-looks-set-to-return#sthash.WUMD1MAk.EUZWNc62.dpuf

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Kate Osamor Elected As MP For Edmonton In Uk ( Photos) by jascon1(m): 8:44am On May 08, 2015
There u go girl. This is someone representing us not like Nigerians in Indonesia tarnishing our image

61 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Kate Osamor Elected As MP For Edmonton In Uk ( Photos) by Trailblazer1(m): 8:49am On May 08, 2015
Imagine Africans vying and winning elections in the UK without the queen threatening them with lagoon and the British calling them strangers?

My advice to the parliamentarian-elects:
Don't model any Nigerian politician especially Obasanjo and Tinubu

102 Likes 16 Shares

Re: Kate Osamor Elected As MP For Edmonton In Uk ( Photos) by Blackfire(m): 8:50am On May 08, 2015
Wow,congrat my sister form another tribe in another location.
Nigeria will be great if we all walk and work together,irrespctive of your timber and caliber.
If we destroy this beautiful country,we will only be refugees and third class citizen* takes a bow*

6 Likes

Re: Kate Osamor Elected As MP For Edmonton In Uk ( Photos) by mcquin(m): 8:52am On May 08, 2015
So Britain also wants change. Hmmmm.

Sai The General!

Sai Naija.

9 Likes

Re: Kate Osamor Elected As MP For Edmonton In Uk ( Photos) by Nobody: 8:53am On May 08, 2015
lyk a foreigner can ever b elected in nigeria? even within us it is hard to c a ibo man representing hausa commumity. mtscheeeeew.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Kate Osamor Elected As MP For Edmonton In Uk ( Photos) by drtwist(m): 8:53am On May 08, 2015
na wa o, no be person go still marry this angel, I tire self, when I go see girl like this self, na only the ones I pass I go dey see.

Imagine me getting married to someone I'm intelligent than. Na be say our children go be!!!!!!!??!!!

Anyway babe if you are single please quote me then I know you are interested like me.

1 Like

Re: Kate Osamor Elected As MP For Edmonton In Uk ( Photos) by olaric(m): 8:55am On May 08, 2015
Here is an African vying for and winning an election in Britain, while some of us back home are fond of screaming blue murder whenever a non-indigene of a state wants to contest for a position. It's about time we grew up politically in this country and rise up above mediocrity and triberlism.

14 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Kate Osamor Elected As MP For Edmonton In Uk ( Photos) by Samchelsea(m): 9:17am On May 08, 2015
Good to know that the other Nigerians won their re-election bids.

1 Like

Re: Kate Osamor Elected As MP For Edmonton In Uk ( Photos) by chynie: 12:37pm On May 08, 2015
congrats, greet my sis chi onwurah for me grin
Re: Kate Osamor Elected As MP For Edmonton In Uk ( Photos) by wellmax(m): 12:39pm On May 08, 2015
The Change we believe in
Re: Kate Osamor Elected As MP For Edmonton In Uk ( Photos) by Dahjhi: 12:40pm On May 08, 2015
cool
Re: Kate Osamor Elected As MP For Edmonton In Uk ( Photos) by Nobody: 12:41pm On May 08, 2015
Ok
Re: Kate Osamor Elected As MP For Edmonton In Uk ( Photos) by themejiwalker(m): 12:41pm On May 08, 2015
Congrats
Re: Kate Osamor Elected As MP For Edmonton In Uk ( Photos) by igbsam(m): 12:41pm On May 08, 2015
She's pretty. My kind of woman

1 Like

Re: Kate Osamor Elected As MP For Edmonton In Uk ( Photos) by themejiwalker(m): 12:43pm On May 08, 2015
shaqiri:
Racist

Are you making any sense at all or you just feel like commenting
Re: Kate Osamor Elected As MP For Edmonton In Uk ( Photos) by dalyricist: 12:43pm On May 08, 2015
drtwist:
na wa o, no be person go still marry this angel, I tire self, when I go see girl like this self, na only the ones I pass I go dey see.

Imagine me getting married to someone I'm intelligent than. Na be say our children go be!!!!!!!??!!!

Anyway babe if you are single please quote me then I know you are interested like me.

Na where ur level reach, MA brother
cheesy
Re: Kate Osamor Elected As MP For Edmonton In Uk ( Photos) by dridowu: 12:45pm On May 08, 2015
lovely
Trailblazer1:
Imagine Africans vying and winning elections in the UK without the queen threatening them with lagoon and the British calling them strangers?
My advice to the parliamentarian-elects:
Don't model any Nigerian politician especially Obasanjo and Tinubu
OBJ my role model Tinubu my hero
Re: Kate Osamor Elected As MP For Edmonton In Uk ( Photos) by simplynola(m): 12:46pm On May 08, 2015
2015: Uk Election just like Lagos Election
Re: Kate Osamor Elected As MP For Edmonton In Uk ( Photos) by obailala(m): 12:48pm On May 08, 2015
Meanwhile somewhere in a jungle nation in west Africa, a frog eyed cretin like governor who was just recently (s)elected to the senate ordered the sack of all non-indigenes from his state's civil service. The sacked workers included his fellow tribesmen from neighbouring states and even people married to indigenes of his state. Even the long serving civil servants who started working before the state was split into two were sacked and asked to go to their new state's civil service.

And at the end of the day, some 'smart' fellow comes to tell me the problem is Yoruba or Awusa or Igbo or Christian or Muslim etc. undecided

5 Likes

Re: Kate Osamor Elected As MP For Edmonton In Uk ( Photos) by omenka(m): 12:48pm On May 08, 2015
Wow. Good for her. Parents must be really proud. smiley
Re: Kate Osamor Elected As MP For Edmonton In Uk ( Photos) by Nobody: 12:49pm On May 08, 2015
some old layers r busy contesting for mis Nairaland. may be seun wants to get married.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Kate Osamor Elected As MP For Edmonton In Uk ( Photos) by henryadex(m): 12:52pm On May 08, 2015
NIGERIANS ON THE MOVE CHANGE IS GOOD

Need GRADUATION GOWNS Contact https://plus.google.com/b/110933102172151271048/110933102172151271048/about

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Explosion In Russian Arm Depot Caused By Internal Accident Not Ukranian Missiles / UK Considers Supplying Anti Aircraft Star Streak Missiles To Ukraine / Shin Bet, IDF Rescues 2 Hostages From Rafah(photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.