Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,453 members, 7,781,309 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 12:14 PM

FIFA Reveal Okochas' Most Favourite Career Goal !! - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / FIFA Reveal Okochas' Most Favourite Career Goal !! (1228 Views)

Cristiano Ronaldo Scores His 500th Career Goal At Club Level / Photo: See What Lionel Messi Got After Scoring His 500th Career Goal / Okochas Nephew Scores First Goal For Arsenal (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

FIFA Reveal Okochas' Most Favourite Career Goal !! by robosky02(m): 10:37am On May 08, 2015
A legend of Nigerian football, former Paris Saint-Germain playmaker Augustine “Jay-Jay” Okocha was back in France last week for the 12th Match Against Poverty. Answering the call of Zinedine Zidane and Ronaldo, the men behind this unique initiative, the 41-year-old lit up the star-studded event and showed he had lost none of his magical skills.

Sitting down for an interview with FIFA.com, the inimitable Jay Jay also showed that his sense of humour remains very much intact. Displaying a love of life and for the game, the Nigerian great, who appeared in three FIFA World Cup™ competitions and won the CAF African Cup of Nations in 1994 and Olympic gold two years later in Atlanta, remains as much of an entertainer as he always was.

FIFA.com: What does it mean to you to take part in a charity match like this?
Jay Jay Okocha: This event means a lot to me. It’s an opportunity for us footballers, who’ve enjoyed all the advantages life has to offer, to give something back to people in need. It’s a great and beautiful initiative.

How much pleasure do you get from being able to play again in front of a large crowd?
A lot. It’s a special feeling and it’s something you miss. It’s wonderful to have the chance to relive it all again, to run and play, to express yourself on the pitch, and all without any pressure on you either. I was very excited about it.

What’s your happiest memory of your career as a player?
I’ve got quite a few and it’s impossible for me to pick out one in particular. Every second I’ve spent on the pitch is a good memory for me, every moment when I’ve been able to express myself with the ball. I enjoyed every single moment of my footballing career, for every club I played with. I’ve got nothing but good memories.

You played for Eintracht Frankfurt, Fenerbahce, Paris Saint-Germain, Bolton Wanderers and Hull City during your career. Is there one club that’s especially close to your heart?
Yes, there is one that is particularly important to me… just don’t expect me to tell you who it is (laughs)! I don’t want to disappoint the other clubs, who also mean a lot to me. I’m keeping my secret.

And do you have a favourite goal out of all the ones you scored?
Yes, the one I got for Frankfurt against Karlsruhe in 1993 stands out a little for me. I was very young and I hadn’t made a name for myself yet. Klaus Toppmoller was my coach at the time and he started me on the bench for that game, which I wasn’t especially pleased about. We were 2-1 up when he finally decided to put me on. We were under pressure and my job was to keep the ball, but we put a break together and I suddenly found myself in the opposition penalty box with four or five defenders facing me. I just dribbled with the ball, going one way and then the next before putting the ball past the keeper, who was none other than Oliver Kahn.

That goal said a lot about how skilful you were, but do you feel you missed out on achieving something big in your career?
Yes, I feel like that about Nigeria, especially the 1994 World Cup. I really think we could have sprung a surprise, but at the time we didn’t know just how good we were. It was our first world finals and we settled for that. Looking back, though, I’m convinced we had the potential to shock the whole world.

It’s [football] a religion in my country. It unites the whole country as one.Former Nigeria star Jay Jay Okocha
What does football mean in Nigeria?
It’s a religion in my country. It unites the whole country as one. If the football goes well, then everything goes well. It’s more than a game, more than a sport. It’s part of our culture.

What’s your view on the state of the game in Nigeria?
You can’t be completely satisfied with the situation at the moment. We’re lacking a bit of consistency, but there’s plenty of work being done at the top. We’ve been through some tough times, but the good thing is that we’re a big country with a lot of talented players. We just need to get the right structures in place so that the light can shine for good.

And what about African football? Do you think African teams are closing the gap on the big European and South American sides?
I think so, but the problem is that we still settle for very little. We celebrate a World Cup quarter-final place when it’s not enough. You have to go further. The gap has closed a lot, though. African teams are getting harder and harder to beat, and that’s a fact.

Who’s the best African player in the game right now?
I’d say Yaya Toure. He’s the most consistent performer. And then there’s Jay-Jay of course (laughs)!

Nigeria won the last FIFA U-17 World Cup and their U-20 side are the reigning African champions in the age group. Are we seeing the emergence of another golden generation?
I think so, but we have to make sure that these youngsters can kick on. If we’re going to do that, we must give them support and encouragement. If we don’t give them the right backing, then it’s just going to be the same old story. We have youth teams that have shone in the past but which haven’t been able to push on at senior level. Let’s try and protect this emerging generation of players and help them mature. I think it’s important that we set up structures that allow us to achieve the kind of continuity we’ve always needed.

Can you see a new Jay-Jay Okocha coming along in that new generation?
One thing’s for sure: there’s an awful lot of talent among those youngsters. No two players are the same, though. Every player has their own attributes, characteristics and flaws, and their own story too.

Are you thinking of going into coaching one day?
No, not for the moment. I’m more interested in the executive positions. I prefer to be the one who appoints them and tells them what to do (laughs)!

You see yourself as the presidential type, then?
Why not? Yes. In fact, I’ve just been named the chairman of the Delta State Football Association, which I’m delighted about. Who knows what the future has in store, though?

http://www.fifa.com/world-match-centre/news/newsid/259/429/9/index.html

1 Like

Re: FIFA Reveal Okochas' Most Favourite Career Goal !! by robosky02(m): 10:38am On May 08, 2015
And do you have a favourite goal out of all the ones you scored?

Yes, the one I got for Frankfurt against Karlsruhe in 1993 stands out a little for me. I was very young and I hadn’t made a name for myself yet. Klaus Toppmoller was my coach at the time and he started me on the bench for that game, which I wasn’t especially pleased about. We were 2-1 up when he finally decided to put me on. We were under pressure and my job was to keep the ball, but we put a break together and I suddenly found myself in the opposition penalty box with four or five defenders facing me. I just dribbled with the ball, going one way and then the next before putting the ball past the keeper, who was none other than Oliver Kahn.
Re: FIFA Reveal Okochas' Most Favourite Career Goal !! by robosky02(m): 10:47am On May 08, 2015
which goal would you call your favorite okocha goal?

for me it was that free kick that silence cameroon at the nations cup after the noice made by eto'o

so which is yours
Re: FIFA Reveal Okochas' Most Favourite Career Goal !! by nerodenero: 10:53am On May 08, 2015
At Bolton, they loved him so much, they named him twice. For now, no African player can measure up to Jay-jay's skills.
Re: FIFA Reveal Okochas' Most Favourite Career Goal !! by robosky02(m): 11:28am On May 08, 2015
nerodenero:
At Bolton, they loved him so much, they named him twice. For now, no African player can measure up to Jay-jay's skills.

undisputed
Re: FIFA Reveal Okochas' Most Favourite Career Goal !! by kliq(m): 11:40am On May 08, 2015
That goal against Kahn cheesy

And then the one against Cameroon '00 Nations Cup.

Jay-Jay
Re: FIFA Reveal Okochas' Most Favourite Career Goal !! by robosky02(m): 11:53am On May 08, 2015
kliq:
That goal against Kahn cheesy

And then the one against Cameroon '00 Nations Cup.

Jay-Jay

gbam .......

1 Like

Re: FIFA Reveal Okochas' Most Favourite Career Goal !! by importexpert(m): 6:05pm On May 08, 2015
Yes okocha. Scoring oliver khan has never been funny. Ronaldo of brazil can testify that
Re: FIFA Reveal Okochas' Most Favourite Career Goal !! by themilanway(m): 10:11pm On May 08, 2015
I lost interest in the Super Eagles the day Jay Jay hanged his boots.

Hell i was even praying Lars Lagerback would be kind enough to recall him for South Africa 2010 after he helped Hull city secure promotion to the EPL,i cursed the the foolish the Swede after he submitted his final list.

The goal against Cameroun was nothing but joy,Tunisia 2004 was an unforgetable year.

Jay Jay,i hero worshipped you.
Re: FIFA Reveal Okochas' Most Favourite Career Goal !! by bigsam2010: 12:35am On May 09, 2015
There is a secret of how to win a sportbet, that most stakers does not know. Most people want to win big at once, while I always take my time to calculate very well and win little day-by-day.

After all my researches and calculations, I found MERRYBET to be the best to make cool money among all other sportbet companies.

Follow me on my Merrybet Link (http://www./Odds/registration/affiliate197881), create, fund your account and let us begin a cool deal.

I wish you the best of luck.
Re: FIFA Reveal Okochas' Most Favourite Career Goal !! by robosky02(m): 9:55am On May 09, 2015
themilanway:

Hell i was even praying Lars Lagerback would be kind enough to recall him for South Africa 2010 after he helped Hull city secure promotion to the EPL,i cursed the the foolish the Swede after he submitted his final list.

The goal against Cameroun was nothing but joy,Tunisia 2004 was an unforgetable year.

Re: FIFA Reveal Okochas' Most Favourite Career Goal !! by daveP(m): 2:25pm On May 09, 2015
W
Re: FIFA Reveal Okochas' Most Favourite Career Goal !! by KingTom(m): 2:36pm On May 09, 2015
themilanway:

Okocha oh! I love you pass Bebeto Okocha I love you pass Ronaldo Okocha! grin grin Austin Jay jay!

Also...

[size=30pt]TEAM TWACI ALL THE WAY VOTE TWACI FOR MISS NAIRALAND 2015[/size] cool

www.nairaland.com/twaci
Re: FIFA Reveal Okochas' Most Favourite Career Goal !! by KingTom(m): 2:36pm On May 09, 2015
daveP:
W
Egbon you don old pass this na grin grin grin
Re: FIFA Reveal Okochas' Most Favourite Career Goal !! by robosky02(m): 2:55pm On May 09, 2015
KingTom:

team kingtom na caampaign manager you be be that oh
Re: FIFA Reveal Okochas' Most Favourite Career Goal !! by KingTom(m): 3:00pm On May 09, 2015
robosky02:

team kingtom na caampaign manager you be be that oh
Baba na so oh grin

[size=30pt]TEAM TWACI ALL THE WAY VOTE TWACI FOR MISS NAIRALAND 2015[/size] cool
www.nairaland.com/twaci

1 Like

Re: FIFA Reveal Okochas' Most Favourite Career Goal !! by Duru1(m): 3:06pm On May 09, 2015
Africa proved its ridiculous ascription as dark to be truth when the sport writers in the continent failed to crown JJ Okocha as the African Footballer of the Year during JJ's playing days. If JJ had been a European, he would have the best next thing God created after the slice of bread. In fact, the moronic Africans would have fought each other in order to validate the perception of JJ as the wonder boy of football.
Re: FIFA Reveal Okochas' Most Favourite Career Goal !! by daveP(m): 4:35pm On May 09, 2015
KingTom:
na mistake. Me spacebook abi na boo space? Wanted to change color so i type that and instead of display d code, it just submitted like that.

How your side be
Re: FIFA Reveal Okochas' Most Favourite Career Goal !! by KingTom(m): 4:37pm On May 09, 2015
daveP:
na mistake. Me spacebook abi na boo space? Wanted to change color so i type that and instead of display d code, it just submitted like that.

How your side be
I dey oh grin

(1) (Reply)

Emmanuel Emenike Loses Dad, Keshi Consoles Him / Man United Paired With Club Brugge In Champions League Qualifiers / Free Betting Tips - U E F A Europa League - All Today's Matches - Expert Tips

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.