Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,455 members, 7,808,623 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:25 PM

Why Are Apple Systems So Expensive? - Computers (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Why Are Apple Systems So Expensive? (16255 Views)

Expensive Sennheiser's HE-1 - £54,000- (₦26460000) Headphone / Sunstone Creates First Solar-powered IP Systems / Best Hacking Operating Systems /os (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are Apple Systems So Expensive? by BeloHorizonte14: 8:22pm On May 11, 2015
Fulaman198:

Quite a few:

17" is too big imo

Lenovo Thinkpad W541
Dell Precision M4800
HP Zbook 15
Toshiba Tecra W50

Those are all professional laptops with a lot of power.
Thank you very much Sir. It is a privilege to have someone like you.on this thread

All the laptops are nothing less than 200k,right sir?
Re: Why Are Apple Systems So Expensive? by Fulaman198(m): 8:36pm On May 11, 2015
BeloHorizonte14:
Thank you very much Sir. It is a privilege to have someone like you.on this thread

All the laptops are nothing less than 200k,right sir?

that's correct lol these are all premium laptops. I have a Lenovo Thinkpad W541 out of those bunch, but I have the minimum configuration. The highest processor it can be configured with is the Intel Extreme Core i7 4940MX.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Are Apple Systems So Expensive? by BeloHorizonte14: 9:22am On May 12, 2015
Fulaman198:

that's correct lol these are all premium laptops. I have a Lenovo Thinkpad W541 out of those bunch, but I have the minimum configuration. The highest processor it can be configured with is the Intel Extreme Core i7 4940MX.

Can one get any of these laptops in Nigeria?
Re: Why Are Apple Systems So Expensive? by Fulaman198(m): 3:47pm On May 12, 2015
BeloHorizonte14:
Can one get any of these laptops in Nigeria?

Depends on the company you work for.
Re: Why Are Apple Systems So Expensive? by bizzle2: 11:46pm On May 21, 2015
have u ever owned an apple notebook ?
Fulaman198:
They are expensive for no reason. I can tell you right now that no Apple laptop offered by Apple is as fast as my Lenovo Thinkpad. You are paying for the fanaticism and becoming a bandwagoner
Re: Why Are Apple Systems So Expensive? by bizzle2: 12:22am On May 22, 2015
the 2015 macbook pro does have vents, they are however well hidden
JustCalMeDBoss:

In our office we use the hp zbook 17 it has a 4940mx intel processor 3.1ghz quadcore with 4ghz turbo.
32gb ddr3ram
1tb ssd and 2tb hdd
An 8gb nvidia quadro 5100m graphics card of. Course it cost a fortune. And I still think its slow espically 3dss max rendering. We switch to the z840 and z820 for that the z840 spec

Dual intel xeon E5 2697 v3 14core at 2.6ghz 28 physical core and 56 virtual cores(what you see in task manger as 56 cpu)

256gb ddr4 2133mhz ram

Dual Qaudro K6000 with 12gb video card

Not ur average desktop
Revit and 3ds max runs like a cham even 36 million polygon

Dell precision m6000 series also

The macbook pro does not have ventilation how can it breathe. Also the gtx 750m graphic card is below medicore only comes with 16gb ram get my drift.

Re: Why Are Apple Systems So Expensive? by Fulaman198(m): 12:30am On May 22, 2015
bizzle2:
have u ever owned an apple notebook ?

I've worked on Apple devices numerous times, before we switched over to windows devices, why do you ask?
Re: Why Are Apple Systems So Expensive? by bizzle2: 12:34am On May 22, 2015
-Build quality is simply awesome (thier unibody aluminium chasis are very very durable, and still look good after a long while, keyboard and trackpad are still the best in the industry)

-Great OS (fluidity, ease of use, user interface etc...beats Microsoft windows

-Excellent Battery life

some apple products are quite overpriced , u need to find a balance between value and cost. the macbook pro line is in my opinion the best value for money offering apple has. I used to be a big apple hater

BeloHorizonte14:
What is so special about apple systems; are they in any way different from other high range Hp,Lenovo,Dell core i7 systems? Do they offer more than other brands of laptop?

Also,does one have to buy 'apps' on it as it is with Iphones?

Is it (Nigerian)user friend?

Thank you.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Apple Systems So Expensive? by bizzle2: 12:41am On May 22, 2015
when you say they're expensive for no reason, it makes me wonder if you have.
how exactly did you come to the conclusion that no apple notebook rivals your lenovo in performance ? did u carryout any tests or compare geek bench scores or something
That aside, When technology gets smaller and lighter there's an inevitable compromise.... You compromise on power, performance, hardware options/interface etc .. The list is endless. Apple finds a perfect balance between those compromises like no other notebook manufacturer does. Your lenovo is probably twice as thick and twice as heavy as a 2015 macbook pro for instance and probably with a battery life that's about half that of the Mac pro (over 11 hrs) . Different notebooks cater for different consumer needs, if mobility and decent computing power are your priority. I don't see too many notebooks competing with the 13" macbook pros on the market. In comparison with notebooks of the same/similar form factor or footprint. Apple Mac pros practically murder the competition performance-wise. And those other competitor notebooks are equally similarly priced. Take the highly rated 2015 dell xps 13 for instance. Watch the comparison

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFL-zA6qfxY

quote author=Fulaman198 post=33976316]

I've worked on Apple devices numerous times, before we switched over to windows devices, why do you ask?[/quote]

1 Like

Re: Why Are Apple Systems So Expensive? by Fulaman198(m): 5:29am On May 22, 2015
bizzle2:
when you say they're expensive for no reason, it makes me wonder if you have.
how exactly did you come to the conclusion that no apple notebook rivals your lenovo in performance ? did u carryout any tests or compare geek bench scores or something
That aside, When technology gets smaller and lighter there's an inevitable compromise.... You compromise on power, performance, hardware options/interface etc .. The list is endless. Apple finds a perfect balance between those compromises like no other notebook manufacturer does. Your lenovo is probably twice as thick and twice as heavy as a 2015 macbook pro for instance and probably with a battery life that's about half that of the Mac pro (over 11 hrs) . Different notebooks cater for different consumer needs, if mobility and decent computing power are your priority. I don't see too many notebooks competing with the 13" macbook pros on the market. In comparison with notebooks of the same/similar form factor or footprint. Apple Mac pros practically murder the competition performance-wise. And those other competitor notebooks are equally similarly priced. Take the highly rated 2015 dell xps 13 for instance. Watch the comparison

quote author=Fulaman198 post=33976316]

I've worked on Apple devices numerous times, before we switched over to windows devices, why do you ask?

Because the truth is that no Macbooks rival my Lenovo in power. No Macbook can be configured with 32gb of RAM.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Apple Systems So Expensive? by AAinEqGuinea: 6:11am On May 22, 2015
I own a 2013 MacBook Air (to dev for ios) and from what I'm told the components are top grade; it's being skinnier but with quality. I'm not a power user on my MacBook; maybe blender, lightweight UML software, and xcode and it runs these applications just fine. No games or PhotoShop or cad, etc... I leave the big dog apps for my Windows machine.
Fulaman198:

Because the truth is that no Macbooks rival my Lenovo in power. No Macbook can be configured with 32gb of RAM.
booting up all of Africa on your Lenovo?? cool

Op, you can download apps to a Mac using the same manner as smartphones, obviously phone apps won't work on a Mac. You don't have to use Apples App store to get "apps", you can also download Mac programs from the internet, the traditional way, but based on admin/user configurations it can be confusing at first to install. That's Apple's way of indirectly discouraging installing "wild programs" from the internet, to instead use the App store which Apple filters for good/bad software.
Re: Why Are Apple Systems So Expensive? by Fulaman198(m): 6:47am On May 22, 2015
AAinEqGuinea:
I own a 2013 MacBook Air (to dev for ios) and from what I'm told the components are top grade; it's being skinnier but with quality. I'm not a power user on my MacBook; maybe blender, lightweight UML software, and xcode and it runs these applications just fine. No games or PhotoShop or cad, etc... I leave the big dog apps for my Windows machine. booting up all of Africa on your Lenovo?? cool

Op, you can download apps to a Mac using the same manner as smartphones, obviously phone apps won't work on a Mac. You don't have to use Apples App store to get "apps", you can also download Mac programs from the internet, the traditional way, but based on admin/user configurations it can be confusing at first to install. That's Apple's way of indirectly discouraging installing "wild programs" from the internet, to instead use the App store which Apple filters for good/bad software.

If you are looking for a thin laptop (ultrabook type) with a good amount of Power, then the Lenovo Thinkpad X series is what you are looking for. In regards to "Premium" components. It's all hogwash and propaganda that Apple uses to brainwash others. Apple really isn't better than Windows. If you compare a premium Windows laptop to a premium macbook, the Windows laptop will always win due to the fact that you get more for your money.

Let's compare an equally priced laptop meant for business/engineering to the a Macbook and the Macbook would lose. My laptop isn't really an Ultrabook it's more of a Workstation and has workstation like power.
Re: Why Are Apple Systems So Expensive? by bizzle2: 10:21am On May 22, 2015
Kindly mention any of such similarly priced ultrabooks that favorably competes with the new macbook pro.
Do you even know what the macbook pro is running sef?
Do you think a larger RAM size automatically equals better performance?
And when you say premium components is all hogwash I just laf my butt off. You might wanna do a Lil research brah. So you can speak with a Lil more information. You appear to be basing your assertions more on sentiments & assumptions than facts
Fulaman198:

If you are looking for a thin laptop (ultrabook type) with a good amount of Power, then the Lenovo Thinkpad X series is what you are looking for. In regards to "Premium" components. It's all hogwash and propaganda that Apple uses to brainwash others. Apple really isn't better than Windows. If you compare a premium Windows laptop to a premium macbook, the Windows laptop will always win due to the fact that you get more for your money.

Let's compare an equally priced laptop meant for business/engineering to the a Macbook and the Macbook would lose. My laptop isn't really an Ultrabook it's more of a Workstation and has workstation like power.
Re: Why Are Apple Systems So Expensive? by JustCalMeDBoss(m): 1:16pm On May 22, 2015
bizzle2:
the 2015 macbook pro does have vents, they are however well hidden
you caLl that ventilation. Apple sacrificing design logic for thinner and lighter

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Apple Systems So Expensive? by BeloHorizonte14: 2:05pm On May 22, 2015
following
Re: Why Are Apple Systems So Expensive? by BeloHorizonte14: 2:06pm On May 22, 2015
smiley
Re: Why Are Apple Systems So Expensive? by BeloHorizonte14: 2:07pm On May 22, 2015
'
Re: Why Are Apple Systems So Expensive? by BeloHorizonte14: 2:07pm On May 22, 2015
cc: Ishilove,lalasticala,skydancer,maleeq

front page....thank you
Re: Why Are Apple Systems So Expensive? by Fulaman198(m): 4:00pm On May 22, 2015
bizzle2:
Kindly mention any of such similarly priced ultrabooks that favorably competes with the new macbook pro.
Do you even know what the macbook pro is running sef?
Do you think a larger RAM size automatically equals better performance?
And when you say premium components is all hogwash I just laf my butt off. You might wanna do a Lil research brah. So you can speak with a Lil more information. You appear to be basing your assertions more on sentiments & assumptions than facts

Yes in computing large data sets, running multiple virtual machines simultaneously, etc requires more RAM and an extremely powerful processor.

I don't mean to brag but I know Macbook internals more than you do. The only Macbook not running on a puny core i5/i7 U processor is the Macbook pro 15 inch. Other than that like ultrabooks and Macbooks have weak processors for serious computing. Most engineers who do serious work should steer clear of them.

If you have ever opened up a computer you will see that all premium laptops have very similar internal schematics.
Re: Why Are Apple Systems So Expensive? by bizzle2: 4:57pm On May 22, 2015
lol, i really don't get it. do you want vents the size of louvers for apple to have done the right thing? the question is, does the notebook heat up? No. are the provided vents sufficient for extraction of air when necessary ? Yes. The new macbook pros run cooler than most ultrabooks in the market, even with their nonexistent nostrils
if they can do that and maintain such a small form factor.....it genius
macbook pros offer decent computing power and portability. they're ultrabooks not workstations or gaming rigs. they just get the job done on the go.
JustCalMeDBoss:
you caLl that ventilation. Apple sacrificing design logic for thinner and lighter

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Apple Systems So Expensive? by bizzle2: 5:03pm On May 22, 2015
LOL,
well first, computing large data sets, running multiple virtual machines simultaneously etc....seriously bro, are we talking about ultrabooks or are we talking workstations and gaming rigs
you still didn't answer my questions tho...which similarly priced ultrabook with the same footprint offers better computing power?? better battery life, better build quality ?? I'm really curious. since you consider the macbook pro not worth the money in comparison to other offerings.
Fulaman198:

Yes in computing large data sets, running multiple virtual machines simultaneously, etc requires more RAM and an extremely powerful processor.

I don't mean to brag but I know Macbook internals more than you do. The only Macbook not running on a puny core i5/i7 U processor is the Macbook pro 15 inch. Other than that like ultrabooks and Macbooks have weak processors for serious computing. Most engineers who do serious work should steer clear of them.

If you have ever opened up a computer you will see that all premium laptops have very similar internal schematics.
Re: Why Are Apple Systems So Expensive? by JustCalMeDBoss(m): 7:14pm On May 22, 2015
bizzle2:
lol, i really don't get it. do you want vents the size of louvers for apple to have done the right thing? the question is, does the notebook heat up? No. are the provided vents sufficient for extraction of air when necessary ? Yes. The new macbook pros run cooler than most ultrabooks in the market, even with their nonexistent nostrils
if they can do that and maintain such a small form factor.....it genius
macbook pros offer decent computing power and portability. they're ultrabooks not workstations or gaming rigs. they just get the job done on the go.

The processor in a macbook compared to a similarly speced hp or dell always performs below because of this nostrils you talk about. Procssors on ultrabooks uses ULV (ultra low voltage processor). Ultrabooks should be compared to the air lineup not the pro line up. Fulman is right a comparable hp or dell laptop to a macbook pro is always cheaper with better performance. For the average user who just watch movies, surf the internet, and used MS office yes portability is good but once you leave that segment then most ppl would prefer for their laptop be a little thick a little heavy for better performance. And I have used a high end macbook bfor. The last year model not for me but my boss. It gets hots once you stress the processor making it not suitable for your lap. Infact I would put it in the realm of overheating because of lack of nostrils.. If you understand how processors work all battery saving features are effective as long as the processor is not strained once it is the all cores goes blazing. The high end macbook pro with a 2.8ghz quad core uses 35-37watt TDP. Now let's talk battery the battery is not user replacable. Of what use is portability to a CAD designer, video edditor when on site you can't do anthing. Let me give you an analogy I am on site about to review a visualized site drawing on 3ds max the client is there. I am on a macbook pro with windows the 750m graphics can not even render 6 million polygons the processors are running full throttle. The little machine gets too hot. Its unusable client is getting impatient.( What a mess) I am on a bigger lappy the zbook 17 even though bigger with less battery life able to take me through a 2 hrs session with client and can do 3times the polygonal count with 8k textures. Its widely know that because of apple obsession with thinner and lighter they have sacrificed design logic. By marketing the same products for both consumers(average users) and pro. And its widely known a large part of apple users are creative pros in the video and photography industry. Just google hp z820 vs new macpro and you would see how ppl are switching over not wanting to buy the trashcan(new macpro) apple again sacrificed lighter smaller a desktop that the components can not be replaced.
Finally it is widely known that the bulk of apple profit comes from mobile devices especially the iphone. And apple might be abandoning these creative pros. For some one like my sister just surf the net, watch film on her lappy. A little microsoft office at best photoshop the mac book pro is hard to beat if you have the cash to spend. Any thing more than that windows oems are the go to. But when we are talking about a $3000 laptop where I save $1000 and get a badass windows lappy with better spec amost as portable with samebattery life hard to recomend the macbook pro.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Apple Systems So Expensive? by bizzle2: 1:06am On May 23, 2015
First and foremost sir, can you tell me which comparable dell or hp laptop beats the macbook pro in performance and value?? and please do not mistake the "new 2015 macbook pro" for the "new 2015 macbook" ..they are two different devices and their performance features are as far apart as the north and south pole.
you appear to be throwing a lot of assertions, but they're neither backed with facts nor figures or simple examples. Now let me give you some... Dell's current top of the line ultrabook which is currently one of the best (combining portability, battery life and performance) windows ultrabook in the first quarter of the year; is the "2015 dell xps 13" Now view this informed side by side spec comparison of the xps and the 2015 macbook pro (please watch, it practically details all there is to know) ...and tell me again how you came about your conclusions and assertions.

also find below, a cropped screenshot of another unbiased review on laptopmag.com (link below). i took the liberty of cropping a part of the page to highlight the performance comparison section. lets not even bother about better battery life, build quality etc

http://www.laptopmag.com/reviews/laptops/apple-macbook-pro-13-inch-retina-2015

these are verifiable figures from performance tests!!!! So I don't really get it when you make such bold and loud assertions as if you have carried out empirical tests on these machines. WHAT EXACTLY ARE YOUR CONCLUSIONS BASED ON LOOK AT HARD FACTS AND FIGURES!!!!

Secondly, I don't know what model of macbook your boss had, but i can tell you from experience and from information you can gather online yourself ...Bro, The 2015 Macbook Pro,(i don't know of other models) is one of the quietest and coolest-running notebook on the market. Period

By the way which macbook pro are u talking about running 750m graphics ? the 13" base model of the 2015 macbook pro runs an intel iris 6100 graphics and the more powerful 15" variant runs on the intel Iris pro graphics with an AMD GPU , so broooo.... 'm pretty lost here. And like you rightly stated.."a large part of apple users are creative pros in the video and photography industry"..if the apple notebooks weren't getting the job done,that wouldn't be the case now would it?

And about size vs performance, I think i said it already, different notebooks are made to cater for different needs. you just need to choose the one that best caters for yours. Whats the point of having a notebook that can download the internet in 5 mins and run a billion virtual machines simultaneously if u don't even need or utilise a quarter of the processing power but your battery is gone before you're even halfway through your work. The 15" version of the macbook pro packs enough punch to deliver any kind of computing needs most power users have. do some spec research. The 13" version comes in with less power but gives you the best mobility/performance balance.

THE SIMPLE POINT I'VE BEEN TRYING TO MAKE IS...IN THE ULTRABOOK CATEGORY, WITHIN THE $1000-$1300 PRICE RANGE, THE 13" 2015 MACBOOK PRO SLAYS THE COMPETITION IN TERMS OF SIZE VS PERFORMANCE COMPROMISE, AS IS CLEEEARRRLLLY SEEN IN THE TESTS ABOVE.
DONT BE QUICK TO WRITE OFF APPLE'S NOTEBOOKS

I personally see apple as a company with exploitative tendencies and consider most of their products overpriced, but in the case of the 13"macbook pro, they offer reasonable value.
JustCalMeDBoss:

The processor in a macbook compared to a similarly speced hp or dell always performs below because of this nostrils you talk about. Procssors on or the cash to spend. ..........Any thing more than that windows oems are the go to. But when we are talking about a $3000 laptop where I save $1000 and get a badass windows lappy with better spec amost as portable with samebattery life hard to recomend the macbook pro.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Apple Systems So Expensive? by Fulaman198(m): 1:08am On May 23, 2015
bizzle2:
LOL,
well first, computing large data sets, running multiple virtual machines simultaneously etc....seriously bro, are we talking about ultrabooks or are we talking workstations and gaming rigs
you still didn't answer my questions tho...which similarly priced ultrabook with the same footprint offers better computing power?? better battery life, better build quality ?? I'm really curious. since you consider the macbook pro not worth the money in comparison to other offerings.

Sorry I guess you don't want to compare your precious Macbook to real powerful Notebooks. Build quality as aforementioned nothing beats Lenovo as they are built to military specs.

Battery life Apple excels and does well, however I believe Dell has them beat there.

I can list so many examples. I'm sorry you are stuck on the Apple bandwagon.
Re: Why Are Apple Systems So Expensive? by Fulaman198(m): 1:09am On May 23, 2015
JustCalMeDBoss:

The processor in a macbook compared to a similarly speced hp or dell always performs below because of this nostrils you talk about. Procssors on ultrabooks uses ULV (ultra low voltage processor). Ultrabooks should be compared to the air lineup not the pro line up. Fulman is right a comparable hp or dell laptop to a macbook pro is always cheaper with better performance. For the average user who just watch movies, surf the internet, and used MS office yes portability is good but once you leave that segment then most ppl would prefer for their laptop be a little thick a little heavy for better performance. And I have used a high end macbook bfor. The last year model not for me but my boss. It gets hots once you stress the processor making it not suitable for your lap. Infact I would put it in the realm of overheating because of lack of nostrils.. If you understand how processors work all battery saving features are effective as long as the processor is not strained once it is the all cores goes blazing. The high end macbook pro with a 2.8ghz quad core uses 35-37watt TDP. Now let's talk battery the battery is not user replacable. Of what use is portability to a CAD designer, video edditor when on site you can't do anthing. Let me give you an analogy I am on site about to review a visualized site drawing on 3ds max the client is there. I am on a macbook pro with windows the 750m graphics can not even render 6 million polygons the processors are running full throttle. The little machine gets too hot. Its unusable client is getting impatient.( What a mess) I am on a bigger lappy the zbook 17 even though bigger with less battery life able to take me through a 2 hrs session with client and can do 3times the polygonal count with 8k textures. Its widely know that because of apple obsession with thinner and lighter they have sacrificed design logic. By marketing the same products for both consumers(average users) and pro. And its widely known a large part of apple users are creative pros in the video and photography industry. Just google hp z820 vs new macpro and you would see how ppl are switching over not wanting to buy the trashcan(new macpro) apple again sacrificed lighter smaller a desktop that the components can not be replaced.
Finally it is widely known that the bulk of apple profit comes from mobile devices especially the iphone. And apple might be abandoning these creative pros. For some one like my sister just surf the net, watch film on her lappy. A little microsoft office at best photoshop the mac book pro is hard to beat if you have the cash to spend. Any thing more than that windows oems are the go to. But when we are talking about a $3000 laptop where I save $1000 and get a badass windows lappy with better spec amost as portable with samebattery life hard to recomend the macbook pro.

Pretty much this, but he's not an engineer or power user like us.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Apple Systems So Expensive? by bizzle2: 1:24am On May 23, 2015
cheesy cheesy You're beating about the bush my good friend . I said mention just one windows ultrabook that is as small and light as the 2015 macbook pro yet more powerful...
and your understanding of "build quality" makes me laugh really hard
G-shock wrist watches are built to military specs ...doesn't mean they have better build quality, or are made of more premium materials than a rolex, a cartier or a patek. get the picture? premium materials = more money.
By the way, which military specs sef ? military spec notebooks can withstand impacts from 10ft falls, exposure to mud, extreme temperatures, vibrations, other serious outdoor use scenarios. and you're calling lenovo consumer notebooks. oya drop your lenovo na lets see how military it is.

My man, the only apple device i have ever owned asides a macbook pro is an iPod touch. so make no mistakes my friend, I am no Apple fanboy . I just know what i want. I even consider their phones overpriced in comparison to other android or windows mobile alternatives.
Fulaman198:

Sorry I guess you don't want to compare your precious Macbook to real powerful Notebooks. Build quality as aforementioned nothing beats Lenovo as they are built to military specs.

Battery life Apple excels and does well, however I believe Dell has them beat there.

I can list so many examples. I'm sorry you are stuck on the Apple bandwagon.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Apple Systems So Expensive? by bizzle2: 1:26am On May 23, 2015
LOL, well I'm actually a Mechanical Engineer.
Fulaman198:

Pretty much this, but he's not an engineer or power user like us.
Re: Why Are Apple Systems So Expensive? by bizzle2: 1:34am On May 23, 2015
@ justcallmedboss.....errrr, i actually just googled the hpz820 cheesy cheesy and ummm...its a friggin "DESKTOP WORKSTATION" .. shocked for crying out loud!! or am i mistaken??
is that what ure comparing to a notebook ?? rily

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Apple Systems So Expensive? by JustCalMeDBoss(m): 6:53am On May 23, 2015
bizzle2:
First and foremost sir, can you tell me which comparable dell or hp laptop beats the macbook pro in performance and value?? and please do not mistake the "new 2015 macbook pro" for the "new 2015 macbook" ..they are two different devices and their performance features are as far apart as the north and south pole.
you appear to be throwing a lot of assertions, but they're neither backed with facts nor figures or simple examples. Now let me give you some... Dell's current top of the line ultrabook which is currently one of the best (combining portability, battery life and performance) windows ultrabook in the first quarter of the year; is the "2015 dell xps 13" Now view this informed side by side spec comparison of the xps and the 2015 macbook pro (please watch, it practically details all there is to know) ...and tell me again how you came about your conclusions and assertions.

also find below, a cropped screenshot of another unbiased review on laptopmag.com (link below). i took the liberty of cropping a part of the page to highlight the performance comparison section. lets not even bother about better battery life, build quality etc

http://www.laptopmag.com/reviews/laptops/apple-macbook-pro-13-inch-retina-2015

these are verifiable figures from performance tests!!!! So I don't really get it when you make such bold and loud assertions as if you have carried out empirical tests on these machines. WHAT EXACTLY ARE YOUR CONCLUSIONS BASED ON LOOK AT HARD FACTS AND FIGURES!!!!

Secondly, I don't know what model of macbook your boss had, but i can tell you from experience and from information you can gather online yourself ...Bro, The 2015 Macbook Pro,(i don't know of other models) is one of the quietest and coolest-running notebook on the market. Period

By the way which macbook pro are u talking about running 750m graphics ? the 13" base model of the 2015 macbook pro runs an intel iris 6100 graphics and the more powerful 15" variant runs on the intel Iris pro graphics with an AMD GPU , so broooo.... 'm pretty lost here. And like you rightly stated.."a large part of apple users are creative pros in the video and photography industry"..if the apple notebooks weren't getting the job done,that wouldn't be the case now would it?

And about size vs performance, I think i said it already, different notebooks are made to cater for different needs. you just need to choose the one that best caters for yours. Whats the point of having a notebook that can download the internet in 5 mins and run a billion virtual machines simultaneously if u don't even need or utilise a quarter of the processing power but your battery is gone before you're even halfway through your work. The 15" version of the macbook pro packs enough punch to deliver any kind of computing needs most power users have. do some spec research. The 13" version comes in with less power but gives you the best mobility/performance balance.

THE SIMPLE POINT I'VE BEEN TRYING TO MAKE IS...IN THE ULTRABOOK CATEGORY, WITHIN THE $1000-$1300 PRICE RANGE, THE 13" 2015 MACBOOK PRO SLAYS THE COMPETITION IN TERMS OF SIZE VS PERFORMANCE COMPROMISE, AS IS CLEEEARRRLLLY SEEN IN THE TESTS ABOVE.
DONT BE QUICK TO WRITE OFF APPLE'S NOTEBOOKS

I personally see apple as a company with exploitative tendencies and consider most of their products overpriced, but in the case of the 13"macbook pro, they offer reasonable value.

They both use the same generation cpu and you can have better specs in the dell at the same price point as apple. Now once you move into the 15 inch territory the gap even becomes wider. Go to dell site and configure the dell xps 13 non touch edition. Yes the apple as some advantage like a brighter screen( what type of advanteage is dat) pcmag and laptopmag compares with the particular model they reviewed. And remeber I said power users. Since the ipad has eaten to much away from the average user. No poweruser uses a 13.3 inch laptop. Move into the 15inch categoery where the majority of users are and you see how mmoot the macbook is. I am on site so battery life is been consereved for my phone.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Apple Systems So Expensive? by bizzle2: 12:41pm On May 23, 2015
You're an engineer my good sir, but your arguements and analysis are not objective, .... The generation of processor used is not the question. My question is does the nonsense macbook pro with no nostrils outperform the dell sold at the same price, yes or no...

And speaking of processors you're wrong with your facts again. The dell runs a 15Watts 5200U clocked at 2.2Ghz, while the Mac runs a newer, faster, and more powerful 28Watts 5257U broadwell cpu clocked at 2.7GHz. Talking about graphics the dell xps 13 runs a shared intel HD 5500 graphics while on the Macbook pro...dedicated Intel iris graphics 6100, ( But hey what do I know about computer architecture right, you obviously know Mac internals better than I do). So when you say you have better specs on the dell, which specs are you taking about biko And remember, The review units in the video cost exactly the same, $1300

-I asked a direct question about the macbook pro you said was running 750m graphics. You're yet to give me a response on that.
-I also asked you to mention just one windows laptop of the same size and cost as the 13" macbook pro that outperforms it.

My argument is pretty clear and simple.
By the way Apple laptops are configurable to user specs too,

Taking about power users, remember this whole argument is centred around your claim of apple sacrificing power/performace for mobility and size.. As if there are any better windows notebooks that deliver the kind of power thier macbook pros deliver at such a small size. And your talk about design logic in reference to the size of thier air vents.
I also asked
JustCalMeDBoss:

They both use the same generation cpu and you can have better specs in the dell at the same price point as apple. Now once you move into the 15 inch territory the gap even becomes wider. Go to dell site and configure the dell xps 13 non touch edition. Yes the apple as some advantage like a brighter screen( what type of advanteage is dat) pcmag and laptopmag compares with the particular model they reviewed. And remeber I said power users. Since the ipad has eaten to much away from the average user. No poweruser uses a 13.3 inch laptop. Move into the 15inch categoery where the majority of users are and you see how mmoot the macbook is. I am on site so battery life is been consereved for my phone.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Apple Systems So Expensive? by Fulaman198(m): 5:07pm On May 23, 2015
bizzle2:
cheesy cheesy You're beating about the bush my good friend . I said mention just one windows ultrabook that is as small and light as the 2015 macbook pro yet more powerful...
and your understanding of "build quality" makes me laugh really hard
G-shock wrist watches are built to military specs ...doesn't mean they have better build quality, or are made of more premium materials than a rolex, a cartier or a patek. get the picture? premium materials = more money.
By the way, which military specs sef ? military spec notebooks can withstand impacts from 10ft falls, exposure to mud, extreme temperatures, vibrations, other serious outdoor use scenarios. and you're calling lenovo consumer notebooks. oya drop your lenovo na lets see how military it is.

My man, the only apple device i have ever owned asides a macbook pro is an iPod touch. so make no mistakes my friend, I am no Apple fanboy . I just know what i want. I even consider their phones overpriced in comparison to other android or windows mobile alternatives.

Here is an ultrabook that easily goes toe to toe with the Macbook Pro 15 inch and has an even higher resolution:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzyJ1D2Htxk I will continue to list more.

In regards to durability, can a Macbook do this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0U5n2WaMMHo
Re: Why Are Apple Systems So Expensive? by Fulaman198(m): 5:20pm On May 23, 2015
In regard to build quality, can't compete with the Magnesium Alloy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXLgMZcOjt4

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Logon To Windows Using Your Usb Flash Drive [dongle] / Free Software To Convert Songs To Mp3 Format / How To Transfer MB On Glo Newtwork

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 121
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.