Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,211 members, 7,807,723 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 06:07 PM

What Is Considered A Sin? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Is Considered A Sin? (4910 Views)

What Is Considered Sexually Immoral? / Pastor Chris Oyakhilome- self-service Is Not A Sin. / Is Fornication Really A Sin? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is Considered A Sin? by saraj(f): 6:19am On Feb 07, 2009
What is considered sin? Is smoking a sin? Is getting angry from time to time to sin? Is divorce a sin even if you're married to someone wicked?
Re: What Is Considered A Sin? by Sissy3(f): 6:41am On Feb 07, 2009
sara j:

What is considered sin? Is smoking a sin? Is getting angry from time to time to sin? Is divorce a sin even if you're married to someone wicked?

no i dnt think smoking is a sin afterall some pastors do smoke, it deals more with your health not with your spirituality
i do think not controling your anger can be a sin, cause when one is angry all sorts of thoughts run through their minds and sometimes it may lead them to commit other sins out of anger. so it is a bad not to control your anger
as for divorces depending on the marriage, some divorces are justified so it wouldnt be considered a sin
Re: What Is Considered A Sin? by afiamanu(f): 6:46am On Feb 07, 2009
Basically everything sissy said is how I see it
and with the smoking thing, At my church when kids ask those questions the elders quote the bible when it says the the body is a temple of the Lord so you wouldn't want to harm yourself and tarnish the Lords temple but it definitely is not a sin. I dno't even think people smoked back then undecided grin
Re: What Is Considered A Sin? by dalaman: 8:10am On Feb 07, 2009
Sin is breaking of the law(human and divine).
Re: What Is Considered A Sin? by huxley(m): 11:32am On Feb 07, 2009
~Sissy~:

no i dnt think smoking is a sin afterall some pastors do smoke, it deals more with your health not with your spirituality
i do think not controling your anger can be a sin, cause when one is angry all sorts of thoughts run through their minds and sometimes it may lead them to commit other sins out of anger. so it is a bad not to control your anger
as for divorces depending on the marriage, some divorces are justified so it wouldnt be considered a sin

See just how Christian thinking is all lobe-sided! Are pastors the arbiters of what sin is and do you draw your principles and notions of moral behaviour from your pastors? Supposing your pastor defrauds his church of money or commits adultery. Would this be less of a sin because "after all your pastor has done it"?
Re: What Is Considered A Sin? by Image123(m): 10:55pm On Feb 07, 2009
Sin is missing the mark of God's standard of righteousness.One may try,but try is not good enough if it doesn't reach the mark of God's standard.Always remember,God's standard,not your standard or what you feel.Not neccesarily the pastor or denomination's standard.Not the agrees or accepted standard,but God's standard.1John 3:4 Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.
Re: What Is Considered A Sin? by Moyola(f): 1:08am On Feb 08, 2009
"Sin is the transgression of law"

sara j:

Uhhmn!!!
Re: What Is Considered A Sin? by Sissy3(f): 5:19am On Feb 08, 2009
huxley:

See just how Christian thinking is all lobe-sided! Are pastors the arbiters of what sin is and do you draw your principles and notions of moral behaviour from your pastors? Supposing your pastor defrauds his church of money or commits adultery. Would this be less of a sin because "after all your pastor has done it"?

stop my taking statement out context jor, as you can see from the post, i said smoking has to do more with ones health not spirituality, shouldn't you have attacked this one? that statement wasn't meant to signify or symbolize anything, you should have at least asked me to clarify what the heck i meant by the statement instead of taking it out of context and applying your own distorted meaning.
Re: What Is Considered A Sin? by princekevo(m): 7:41am On Feb 08, 2009
sara j:

Well like someone has already Sin we can say is the breaking of God's law.
On the other aspects you mentioned like smoking,anger, and divorce.
About Smoking
The Bible never directly mentions smoking. But there are a couple of principles, however, that definitely apply to smoking. First, the Bible commands us no to allow our bodies to become "mastered" by anything. "Everything is permissible for me - but not everything is beneficial. Everything is permissible for me - but I will not be mastered by anything" (1 Corinthians 6:12). Smoking is undeniably strongly addictive. I heard some here saying even their pastor smokes, Wht will a pastor who is unable to control his appetite of smoking tell the congregation about living in spirit and being controlled by the appetite of the fleash?, You are remain a subject to anything that is beyond ur control, If we all agree tht smoking is quite addictive then i think a pastor who is born of the spirit and not of the fleash should be able to put that under his control and not being lead by the appetite of the fleash, Later in the same passage we are told, "Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body" (1 Corinthians 6:19-20). Smoking is undoubtedly very bad for your health. Smoking has been proven to damage the lungs and the heart.

Can smoking be considered "beneficial" (1 Corinthians 6:12)? Can it be said that smoking is truly honoring God with your body (1 Corinthians 6:20)? Can a person honestly smoke "for the glory of God" (1 Corinthians 10:31)? We believe that the answer to these three question is a resounding "NO." As a result, we believe that smoking is a sin, and therefore should not be practiced by followers of Jesus Christ.

On the issue of Anger
Jesus Christ himself stated that clearly to us in Matt.5:21-22 "Yeah have heard that it was said by them of old time, thou shall not kill;and whosoever shall kill shall be in danger of the judgement:
In verse 22 he said "But i say unto you,That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the Judgement.
Interpreting verse, Jesus does seem to say that the emotion of anger is sinful in itself--as condemnable as a murderous act that might spring from it. That is why he put cluase there, "without a cause",
As christains we can be angry coz it is expression of our emotions and feellings,
When we look beyond the Sermon on the Mount, however, we find other New Testament passages which show that negative emotions can occur without sin being present. That was why Paul declares, “Be angry but do not sin; do not let the sun go down on your anger” (Eph 4:26 RSV). Paul clearly indicates that we can feel angry without sinning. This is only when u can put ur anger under control which will prevent u from commiting sin out of your anger, That is why why Paul state it "do not let the sun go down on your anger".We all knows what can be the fruit of anger when they are kept for a long time,

On the Issue of divorce
This was also state clearly by Jesus christ . In Matthew 19:18 Jesus gives direct commands concerning murder, adultery, stealing and giving false testimony. Since Jesus gives us a direct command not to do these things, then failing to follow those commands would be a sin. A person who keeps doing what Jesus forbids would be living in continual sin. The only way to be forgiven of those sins is to repent and turn back to God.

In Matthew 19:6 Jesus gives a direct command concerning divorce. The only exception to separating what God has put together is in Matthew 19:9; 5:31-32. "And i say unto you, whosoever shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication,and shall marry another, committeth adultery: and whoso marrieth her which is put away doth commit adultery.Since Jesus gives us a direct command not to separate what God has joined together and your spouse hasn't committed fornication, then failing to follow the command not to separate is a sin. If you keep separating what God has joined together then you are living in continual sin.
Re: What Is Considered A Sin? by mamagee3(f): 12:39am On Dec 24, 2009
Anything that's against the will of God is a sin. tongue
Re: What Is Considered A Sin? by ednut1(m): 8:21am On Dec 24, 2009
Sin is stealing 5 naira lol
Re: What Is Considered A Sin? by AKO1(m): 9:02am On Dec 24, 2009
And contrary to popular belief, there is no big or small sin. Sin is sin.
Re: What Is Considered A Sin? by Ascony(m): 10:56am On Dec 24, 2009
what of sex?
Re: What Is Considered A Sin? by jagunlabi(m): 7:32pm On Dec 24, 2009
And what is the will of God?If God demand that i slit the throat of my son in sacrifice to him and i refuse, does that constitute a sin?
Defining what a sin is is a very knotty thing to do due to it's subjective nature.What is sin to you may not be a sin to another.And since there are so many gods . . . well you must see the problem here.
mama-gee:

Re: What Is Considered A Sin? by jagunlabi(m): 7:34pm On Dec 24, 2009
Only if you can't satisfy your missy,mate. grin
Ascony:

what of sex?
Re: What Is Considered A Sin? by Knight1(m): 8:30am On Dec 25, 2009
@poster
Not All Sin are laid down offences
If you do any thing, say smoke or even drink, and you find yourself debating in your mind if it's a sin or not, then YOU have sinned, simple!

"Therefore to him that knoweth to do good, and doeth it not, to him it is sin." (James 4:17).
Re: What Is Considered A Sin? by Lacrisma(m): 4:45am On Dec 26, 2009
mama-gee:

kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss
Re: What Is Considered A Sin? by mamagee3(f): 1:26am On Feb 23, 2010
Sin is an Offence against God, Simple!
Re: What Is Considered A Sin? by Mikaela: 10:54pm On Feb 23, 2010
Well, as I see it, I don't think smoking is a sin. Why should god give a damn? Drinking isn't a sin either but getting drunk is. You know, the fundamentals of the bible. Premarital intimacy is a sin. But you know, you're human so you're allowed to sin. Just pray for forgiveness after all. Or kill a goat.

mama-gee:

I think he got that. Hence the questions. But what is considered as an offense against god?
Re: What Is Considered A Sin? by Kgdavid(m): 11:13pm On Feb 23, 2010
Dorothy's mother: dorothy what did you learn at church today?

Dorothy:
mama-gee:

Re: What Is Considered A Sin? by minto(m): 2:40am On Aug 06, 2010
All unrighteousness is sin
                                       1 John 5:17

(1) (Reply)

Jesus Was A Drunkard. Yes, He Confessed. / Religion And Poverty In Africa. Why Is The ‘most Religious’ Country The ‘poorest / The Sons Of God (fallen Angels)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.