Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,447 members, 7,808,599 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:03 PM

Photo: See How A Mathematician Proved 0 Divided By 0 Equals 2 - Education (19) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Photo: See How A Mathematician Proved 0 Divided By 0 Equals 2 (95943 Views)

Photo: Mathematician Successfully Proved 0 Divided By 0 Equals 2 / Mathematician Successfully Proved 0 Divided By 0 Equals 2 / See How A Mathematician Proved 0 Divided By 0 Equals 2 (photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Photo: See How A Mathematician Proved 0 Divided By 0 Equals 2 by brytandre(m): 11:39pm On May 10, 2015
tohero:
@all.

I wonder why some people who claimed to have studied mathematics said the steps are wrong. Common, they are right. The only wrong thing that made everything wrong is that...

He started out with ASSUMPTIONS

Therefore it is a MUST he proves that the CONVERSE is true.

Now, can the person who proved that go ahead to proof that 2 = 0/0?

Mind you, it is not by reversing the steps, it is about using the opposite of the assumption he had used earlier.

Real Analyst in the room should understand this better.

Good 9t

I tip a hat to u sir. Correctly said. His efforts needs further modifications from experts in the room. That's wat I'm here to see
Re: Photo: See How A Mathematician Proved 0 Divided By 0 Equals 2 by Chimex388: 11:40pm On May 10, 2015
Duduconfirm:
As much as I would say the guy is A genius. Why must he represent 0 as 100 - 100. It could be 5 - 5 let him try another number that's not a perfect square to see if he'll arrive at 2. If he doesn't, then he's wrong
it will give u 2 bro..buh d dude is scientifically/practically wrong, but theoretically , he will pass
Re: Photo: See How A Mathematician Proved 0 Divided By 0 Equals 2 by Chimex388: 11:47pm On May 10, 2015
tohero:
@all.

I wonder why some people who claimed to have studied mathematics said the steps are wrong. Common, they are right. The only wrong thing that made everything wrong is that...

He started out with ASSUMPTIONS

Therefore it is a MUST he proves that the CONVERSE is true.

Now, can the person who proved that go ahead to proof that 2 = 0/0?

Mind you, it is not by reversing the steps, it is about using the opposite of the assumption he had used earlier.

Real Analyst in the room should understand this better.

Good 9t
Fixed...law of commutativity!

1 Like

Re: Photo: See How A Mathematician Proved 0 Divided By 0 Equals 2 by Chimex388: 11:56pm On May 10, 2015
As a sports Mathematician..this is wat i know.. Arsenal/Epl=indeterminate ManU/EPl=Undefined. Liverpool/Epl=0 Mancity/EPL=voicemail But Chelsea/EPL=finite integer n counting... Champions n counting... grin
Re: Photo: See How A Mathematician Proved 0 Divided By 0 Equals 2 by Zhozadaemon(m): 12:01am On May 11, 2015
Jumbledwords:
Lol, the funny thing is, if I interchange how the denominator was expressed with the numerator, I'll get 1/2 which technically will be correct as well (based on the proof)
I thought of that myself...whats good for the goose is good for the gander....yeah?
Re: Photo: See How A Mathematician Proved 0 Divided By 0 Equals 2 by fitzmayowa: 1:25am On May 11, 2015
@brytandre and redarrow,I hope my own kind of mathematician have this kind of patience to explain things to peeps here like brytandre. Both of you did justice to everything everyone said....

1 Like

Re: Photo: See How A Mathematician Proved 0 Divided By 0 Equals 2 by brunofarad(m): 5:01am On May 11, 2015
This is numerical illusion at play.

The OP violated the rule of diffrence of two squares.
Now watch it.........

If there exists a,b such that a not equal to b

Then

a^2 - b^2 =( a + b )(a - b )

When a = b

Then

a^2 - b^2 = a^2 - a^2 = b^2 - b^2 = 0

hence diffence of two squares holds IFF

a is not equal b

Did u notice IFF. In mathematics it is voked as if and only if.

Do guys watch closely at the OP's steps

10^2 - 10^2. Cannot be treated as diffrence of two squares.

This is same procedure normally used by illusionists for performance.

Using what you already know....to bring about what you DON'T know

Through an unknown bypass realm....

Most times this unknown realms are usually what you rightly know but being used to manipulate your mind in the not so right medium.

This is not open for debate

Its a fact !

Listen,observe and be silent
Re: Photo: See How A Mathematician Proved 0 Divided By 0 Equals 2 by d4Dave: 5:39am On May 11, 2015
I admire the reasoning of that young fellow. However, difference of two squares doesn't hold here because
(a^2-b^2)=(a+b)(a-b)
but
(a^2-a^2)
CANNOT AND WILL NEVER BE EQUAL TO
(a+a)(a-a)
because the CONVERSE, ie the reverse is not true; it will give 0 and not (a^2-a^2)
Hence, his/her hypothesis is ABSOLUTELY wrong.
Re: Photo: See How A Mathematician Proved 0 Divided By 0 Equals 2 by jstriker442(m): 5:57am On May 11, 2015
brytandre:

I understand u well.

From a BODMAS point of view, that bracket MUST be opened, and it ruins everything

But from an algebraic point of view, leave it as it is (since it has a like term) and cancel out.

That's wat he did. I argued with @logica that BODMAS is negligible in some maths, can u see wat I mean? Would it help in this case? Not at all
jst lyk i said, u can ignore or better still skip bodmas if and only if the equation when simplified of expanded is equal e.g (100)-(100)/(200) = (25-5)5-(25-5)5 / (25-5)10 = 5-5/10. ........ Since (5*4) is common, it cancels out. So my friend MATHS=BODMAS. If u can prove a solution that is not backd by BODMAS, i'd lyk 2 see it, buh as it stands, if we expand, canceling out (10-10)/(10-10) = 1 is incorrect but from my own equation above, (25-5)/(25-5) = 1. The terms used are knwn so i tink resolution b4 cancelation. And 10+10(0)/10(0) = ....can u cancel out the zeros in this case Jst try and read this through get ur calculator, pen and paper out. We'd all learn sumtin new.
Re: Photo: See How A Mathematician Proved 0 Divided By 0 Equals 2 by taiwotosho22(m): 8:40am On May 11, 2015
adewaletb3:
So_fucking wrong. Why would you prove like a goat
funny guy!....literally the workings are correct but mathematically wrong. 0/0 is indeterninable i.e it could be any number. This guy is trying to reverse this law.
Re: Photo: See How A Mathematician Proved 0 Divided By 0 Equals 2 by MrOlai: 9:06am On May 11, 2015
brytandre:

BODMAS AGAIN?!

See it this way bro: (a+b)(a-b)/a(a-b)....(where a=b)

Do we need BODMAS before we identify a common term on both numerator and denominator to cancel out (a-b)?

Besides:

It is (a+b) x (a-b) / a(a-b) so u can cancel out

Now compare to (10+10)x(10-10) / 10(10-10) .....definitely holds that (10-10) can cancel itself out. Thanks

1000000000000000000 likes!
Re: Photo: See How A Mathematician Proved 0 Divided By 0 Equals 2 by MrOlai: 9:09am On May 11, 2015
jstriker442:
mayopic vision is your problem (10+10)(10-10) / 10(10-10) = . Maybe we where taught different bodmas, buh mine says remove the brackets b4 dividing and if you do so, u'd get 0/0. Pls go back 2 your elementary mathematics and leave maths 4 sane people till u fully understand and tink like a learned person.

Mr BODMAS! Sorry! Go back to school! grin
Re: Photo: See How A Mathematician Proved 0 Divided By 0 Equals 2 by brytandre(m): 11:49am On May 11, 2015
brunofarad:
This is numerical illusion at play.

The OP violated the rule of diffrence of two squares.
Now watch it.........

If there exists a,b such that a not equal to b

Then

a^2 - b^2 =( a + b )(a - b )

When a = b

Then

a^2 - b^2 = a^2 - a^2 = b^2 - b^2 = 0

hence diffence of two squares holds IFF

a is not equal b

Did u notice IFF. In mathematics it is voked as if and only if.

Do guys watch closely at the OP's steps

10^2 - 10^2. Cannot be treated as diffrence of two squares.

This is same procedure normally used by illusionists for performance.

Using what you already know....to bring about what you DON'T know

Through an unknown bypass realm....

Most times this unknown realms are usually what you rightly know but being used to manipulate your mind in the not so right medium.

This is not open for debate

Its a fact !

Listen,observe and be silent

I'm very interested in knowing where u got this your definition bro. Stating categorically with IFF that a must not be equal to b.

The fact that u even used the word "Rules" makes for a raised brow, did u study Maths?

Definition should have been used instead, and please, in as much as I hate to write this, there is no such rule. Difference of two squares has no constraint. Sorry. His use of it is valid

Google it if u av doubts. Thanks

1 Like

Re: Photo: See How A Mathematician Proved 0 Divided By 0 Equals 2 by brytandre(m): 11:59am On May 11, 2015
d4Dave:
I admire the reasoning of that young fellow. However, difference of two squares doesn't hold here because
(a^2-b^2)=(a+b)(a-b)
but
(a^2-a^2)
CANNOT AND WILL NEVER BE EQUAL TO
(a+a)(a-a)
because the CONVERSE, ie the reverse is not true; it will give 0 and not (a^2-a^2)
Hence, his/her hypothesis is ABSOLUTELY wrong.

And y can't it

In Maths the equality sign is a strict symbol

when a=b, in algebra, b=a...(Unless in geometric or mapping situations thereabout)

simple arithmetic 100-100= 0, means 0 can also be 100-100....or whatever u imagine it to be (5-5, 10-10, 2-2) so the reverse is the case.

I'm sure u know 1 can also be 100^0 (indices).....and conversely

So please. He is right.

1 Like

Re: Photo: See How A Mathematician Proved 0 Divided By 0 Equals 2 by Bflexing(m): 12:06pm On May 11, 2015
cupid1:
they didn't teach you in secondary school that -1/1 and 1/-1 are all equal to -1 ?
Either you were a math failure or you didn't go to a proper school

Trying to check where u saw -1/1 ooo!! Abeg look well,stop trying to form don jazzy... u no sabi
U are a good example of someone that study fishery

1 Like

Re: Photo: See How A Mathematician Proved 0 Divided By 0 Equals 2 by asoderock(m): 12:12pm On May 11, 2015
Ok so .....

Final Verdict..

ANY NUMBER DIVIDED BY ZERO IS INDETERMINATE. (An already documented rule in Mathematics)

meaning it can be any number from minus infinity to plus infinity.

so 0/0 =2 is correct since it obeys the above mathematical rule.

3 Likes

Re: Photo: See How A Mathematician Proved 0 Divided By 0 Equals 2 by brytandre(m): 12:14pm On May 11, 2015
jstriker442:
jst lyk i said, u can ignore or better still skip bodmas if and only if the equation when simplified of expanded is equal e.g (100)-(100)/(200) = (25-5)5-(25-5)5 / (25-5)10 = 5-5/10. ........ Since (5*4) is common, it cancels out. So my friend MATHS=BODMAS. If u can prove a solution that is not backd by BODMAS, i'd lyk 2 see it, buh as it stands, if we expand, canceling out (10-10)/(10-10) = 1 is incorrect but from my own equation above, (25-5)/(25-5) = 1. The terms used are knwn so i tink resolution b4 cancelation. And 10+10(0)/10(0) = ....can u cancel out the zeros in this case Jst try and read this through get ur calculator, pen and paper out. We'd all learn sumtin new.

My friend. He has already done the expansion using complete the square method

100-100 = 10(10+10) - 10 (10+10)

= (10+10) (10-10)

Or (10+10) x (10-10)

If u solve this quadratic equation, it will get u back to 100-100.

From ur equation (25-5)5 - (25-5)5
If am to express it further, will give

(25-5) x (5-5)......can u see that both 5's outside the bracket has been enclosed in one themselves? It is at this stage u can cancel out.

(25-5) x (5-5) / (25-5) 10 = (5-5)/10

BODMAS was not applied, was it?

1 Like

Re: Photo: See How A Mathematician Proved 0 Divided By 0 Equals 2 by MrOlai: 12:32pm On May 11, 2015
brytandre:

= (10+10) (10-10)
Or (10+10) x (10-10)
(25-5) x (5-5)......can u see that both 5's outside the bracket has been enclosed in one themselves? It is at this stage u can cancel out.

1000000000000000000000 likes!
You're just too much! Kudos!
Re: Photo: See How A Mathematician Proved 0 Divided By 0 Equals 2 by Macclane(m): 2:46pm On May 11, 2015
wonda26:

10^2 - 10^2 = (10 + 10)(10-10) is very correct.

In mathematics, it is called 'Difference of two squares'

If you doubt, try simplifying the right hand side of the equation
Mr man, if u evaluate (10+10)(10-10) its 0. Use ur calculator! Try dat for xams if u no get F, make I fly
Re: Photo: See How A Mathematician Proved 0 Divided By 0 Equals 2 by ABEngine(m): 3:56pm On May 11, 2015
Aghans:

my dear go back to ur secondary school mathematics, every thing he did was correct.

Ok sir, only if you promise me you will come along with some sense in your next lifetime... See who is talking math with me...
Re: Photo: See How A Mathematician Proved 0 Divided By 0 Equals 2 by Olivergee(f): 4:10pm On May 11, 2015
emekachimek:
Referring to the numerator, -10 x 10 is not equal to -10^2 as written by the Mathematician. Instead, -10 x 10 = -100 while -10^2 = +100. The numerator says 100-100 not 100+100. Therefore the so called Mathematician is so wrong that he needs to get this off before small children see it and get confused
i'd say you re wrong cos 10^2 is same as 100, mr man
Re: Photo: See How A Mathematician Proved 0 Divided By 0 Equals 2 by wo1F(m): 4:25pm On May 11, 2015
dinomcjohn:
Waoh! Hello guys, I am impressed the Aristotelian brilliance and Pestalozzian explication of those who have contributed so far. It only proves unequivocally that there are Nigerians out there who are nulli secundus to any other intellectuals and geniuses in the world.

First and foremost: Let's understand this 0/0 can result in any possibility. That is why 0/0= infinity, that is, the answer is indeterminate.

What the original mathematician did is logically and mathematically correct, even though he apparently displayed what we seemed like equational thurmaturgy along the line. Essential, he was correct and cannot be proved wrong. This means, another mathematicial may say 0/0=14 and may bring in other factors and still correctly land at 14. The possibilities are limitless.

For the rookies, greenhorns and abecedarians who are battling with acalculia ( hatred of numbers or mathematics), please NEVER expect 0/0 to equal 0. it is not so.

Let me also correct the impression of those who think the mathematician got it wrong when he stated thus: (100-100) = 10^2-10^2
= (10+10)(10-10). This is perfectly in line. They argued that -100 can not be -10^2 OR that -10^2 = +100. Whatever the viewpoint they adopt, they are simply operating on a nebulochaotic reasoning and fallacious inconsistency.

Look at it this way (100 -100) = (10^2) - (10^2). Now (x^2 - y^2) = (x+y) (x-y). SIMPLE. Let's not introduce any confusion here. so this gives (10 +10) (10 -10).

All in all, this arguments may not have surfaced at all if people understand that 0/0 = infinity

Thanks.

Dum spero spero, Dum vivimus vivamus. ( While I live I hope. Let us live while we are live)

GOD bless you all.

This is a very brilliant submission gentlemen and should accordingly settle this raging battle of wits.

Indeed, all the foregoing arguments would not have been had we all understood the basic caveat; 0/0 = Infinity. Once you miss it, it is argument to infinity.

Well done Poster
Re: Photo: See How A Mathematician Proved 0 Divided By 0 Equals 2 by brunofarad(m): 4:30pm On May 11, 2015
I don't know of u people
But
In mathematics that I know

If you have to rigorously and satisfactorily prove

X = y

The prove has to be convincingly commutative

That is

You will show that x = y

And conversely

You also show that y = x

Now OP

Can you kindly prove to us that

2 = 0/0

Only then can this mathematical analysis be considered satisfactory.

Time ticking.............

1 Like

Re: Photo: See How A Mathematician Proved 0 Divided By 0 Equals 2 by brunofarad(m): 4:39pm On May 11, 2015
I could still remember stating vividly that my assertion was not open for debate.

Yes I studied physics and mathematics remains an integral part of the physics coursework..

brytandre:

I'm very interested in knowing where u got this your definition bro. Stating categorically with IFF that a must not be equal to b.

The fact that u even used the word "Rules" makes for a raised brow, did u study Maths?

Definition should have been used instead, and please, in as much as I hate to write this, there is no such rule. Difference of two squares has no constraint. Sorry. His use of it is valid

Google it if u av doubts. Thanks
Re: Photo: See How A Mathematician Proved 0 Divided By 0 Equals 2 by brytandre(m): 4:59pm On May 11, 2015
brunofarad:
I could still remember stating vividly that my assertion was not open for debate.

Yes I studied physics and mathematics remains an integral part of the physics coursework..

Okay then.

As for the reverse equation. If u really studied physics and maths at tertiary level (at 200level or above).....you will know that reversing all he has done is simply it!

I.E 2 = 20/10.......isn't it?

20/10 = (10+10)/10........are we there?

Now multiply both numerator and denominator by (10-10)..........still there?

20/10 = (10+10) (10-10) / 10(10-10)......u get it?

Expanding the equation

20/10 = 10^2 - 10^2 / 10^2 - 10^2

2= 20/10 = 0/0.......proved!

What he did is Cummutative......very correct!

Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Photo: See How A Mathematician Proved 0 Divided By 0 Equals 2 by Nobody: 6:21pm On May 11, 2015
Bflexing:

Trying to check where u saw -1/1 ooo!! Abeg look well,stop trying to form don jazzy... u no sabi
U are a good example of someone that study fishery
mumu that does not know when someone is giving an example. Na your kind person de copy for exam, even copy another person name
Re: Photo: See How A Mathematician Proved 0 Divided By 0 Equals 2 by jstriker442(m): 6:43pm On May 11, 2015
brytandre:

= (10+10) (10-10)

Or (10+10) x (10-10)

lyk i said, get a paper, pen and calculator and solve some examples. Ur aguement is that anything divided by itself is = 1. ...... If that is so, y not jst say 0/0 = 1. My friend get a pen and paper then prove that (10-10)/(10-10) = 1....... Then get back @ me.
Re: Photo: See How A Mathematician Proved 0 Divided By 0 Equals 2 by Bflexing(m): 7:01pm On May 11, 2015
cupid1:
mumu that does not know when someone is giving an example. Na your kind person de copy for exam, even copy another person name

ode,back up your example with fact. if you don't know something, "SHUT THE Bleep UP". Check the stuff again and see if u have a point...
Re: Photo: See How A Mathematician Proved 0 Divided By 0 Equals 2 by brytandre(m): 7:35pm On May 11, 2015
jstriker442:
lyk i said, get a paper, pen and calculator and solve some examples. Ur aguement is that anything divided by itself is = 1. ...... If that is so, y not jst say 0/0 = 1. My friend get a pen and paper then prove that (10-10)/(10-10) = 1....... Then get back @ me.

Easy already.

0/0 can also equal 1....remember it is undefined (can take any value)

Every other person take note of this: lemme take this to another dimension

U can use a calculator

0.0000000000000000000000000000001/0.0000000000000000000000000000001 = 1

But If u add both, ur calculator will tell u 0....some may represent it in standard form (e.g 1 x 10^ -30), add any number and u'll see it will give u that same number cos it 'll seemingly approx the standard form number to zero.

Y?

The concept of 0 as a number denotes it is a very very small number so close to being "non-existent"......even within 1second, there are uncountable micro-seconds to the next. The dreams u av at night happens some few seconds before u wake up fully, yet it would seem u've been dreaming all night long.

So u could have 0.0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000002/0.0000000000000000000000000000000000000000001 = 2 ............e.t.c

To really understand how all these works, u need to have studied Maths in higher institution (200level and above).

So if we say 0/0 is undefined and could be any number, its simply two very large standard form numbers concelling out each other to produce a number equal or less than or greater than 1.

Quote me if u think otherwise.
Re: Photo: See How A Mathematician Proved 0 Divided By 0 Equals 2 by calculator123(m): 8:52pm On May 11, 2015
Ifebazz:
Here b=a.
if b=a then a-a in the formula ewuald zero chikina
Re: Photo: See How A Mathematician Proved 0 Divided By 0 Equals 2 by calculator123(m): 9:20pm On May 11, 2015
senoreetah:

Its called difference of 2 squares
expsnding d powers u get 100-100=0,thus it has crumbled
Re: Photo: See How A Mathematician Proved 0 Divided By 0 Equals 2 by jstriker442(m): 9:38pm On May 11, 2015
brytandre:

Easy already.

0/0 can also equal 1....remember it is undefined (can take any value)

Every other person take note of this: lemme take this to another dimension

U can use a calculator

0.0000000000000000000000000000001/0.0000000000000000000000000000001 = 1

But If u add both, ur calculator will tell u 0....some may represent it in standard form (e.g 1 x 10^ -30), add any number and u'll see it will give u that same number cos it 'll seemingly approx the standard form number to zero.

Y?

The concept of 0 as a number denotes it is a very very small number so close to being "non-existent"......even within 1second, there are uncountable micro-seconds to the next. The dreams u av at night happens some few seconds before u wake up fully, yet it would seem u've been dreaming all night long.

So u could have 0.0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000002/0.0000000000000000000000000000000000000000001 = 2 ............e.t.c

To really understand how all these works, u need to have studied Maths in higher institution (200level and above).

So if we say 0/0 is undefined and could be any number, its simply two very large standard form numbers concelling out each other to produce a number equal or less than or greater than 1.

Quote me if u think otherwise.
i get u nw my friend u saying (10-10) would give a value not equal to zero, but can be approximated to zero. I.e 2 say maths makes assumptions. And if i have 2 mangoes and i throw 2 away, do i have some approximations left Approximations are made when d value is too small and is negligible in the calculations used. So u finding the distance from planets, and u get some million light years and fractions. These fractions could represent km u knw, but it can be approx since we dealing with sumthin large. Nw y do we have milli and micro quantities. These aim @ precise calculations where needed. Nw ans these; hw many zero's are in '1',,,,,,,, hw many 0000000000.1 are in 1,,,,, 10-10= ,,,,,,,, 10.000000001-10 = ............... When you say sumthin is undefined, it means cant have a sane value kind off i.e cant be represented. if 000000000000000.1 = 0 then multiply both sides of the equation with (10^20) if you get zero on both sides i'd leave ma sch nw and come learn 4rm you. And have it in mind both sides must be equal.

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (Reply)

Caleb University, Lagos Cuts Hair Of Students At The Gate (Photos) / Lecturer Gives Kenyan Student MouthAction In Office. Photos Shared On Facebook / Kogi State University,anyigba;2011/2012 Admission List (official Page)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.