Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,698 members, 7,805,869 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 07:39 AM

Should I Apply For The Job Or Risk Our Friendship? - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Should I Apply For The Job Or Risk Our Friendship? (2008 Views)

52k Bank Job Or 40k Teaching Job? / No National I.D , No Voters Card. No Int'l Passport. How Do I Apply For FCS Job? / #60,000 Salary Job Or Masters Degree? Please Advise Me (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should I Apply For The Job Or Risk Our Friendship? by scrollmeout(m): 10:34pm On May 09, 2015
Hello People,

I'm torn between two decisions. A very good friend and colleague confided in me about his invitation to an interview. Since we both work in the same company and made up our minds to leave, i encouraged him to go for the test/interview since he'll most likely get a better offer. The things is i'm not sure if its morally right to send in my own application as well. I would not want to ruin his chances as i do not know the number of vacancies available. I'm not even sure if it'll be a good idea to even ask him. Our friendship means a lot to me but so does my career as well. Candid advise please?
Re: Should I Apply For The Job Or Risk Our Friendship? by yomi007k(m): 11:22pm On May 09, 2015
Ask him joor. Or forget about it. Or just do it....
Life is all about choices.

1 Like

Re: Should I Apply For The Job Or Risk Our Friendship? by nairalife2013(m): 5:46am On May 10, 2015
Whatever u choose to do in this regard, pls let him be aware.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Apply For The Job Or Risk Our Friendship? by Mustay(m): 6:56am On May 10, 2015
Scrollmeout, don't let this opportunity scroll past you!

I see more of sentiment here but don't let this becloud your objective. The question you should ask yourself is: if your friend was not in the picture, would you have applied for the post? If yes, please apply then manage the post-application process with your friend.

Don't dull yourself o. The guys conducting the interview are well aware of the organisations you come from. If you are who they want, so be it.

Embarking on the 'do nothing' strategy will result in:

1. Regret (or bit of jealousy) if he eventually gets picked. Though this feeling can wear out gradually if you're a good friend, you'll still have that 'inaction feeling' in you.

2. Your career is in your hands. If this job will up your career, why not move on? After all, have you not asked yourself why you both got to your present coy? Truth is, if I see you as a threat, I'd rather not tell you about how to apply cool I'll only tell you the result.

3. As long as you're not doing anything to sabotage his efforts and you let the employer be the umpire, I'd say my guy, forget that thing jare! No be him papa get the company. As guy man, use scope tell am say u don apply.

1 Like

Re: Should I Apply For The Job Or Risk Our Friendship? by ITbomb(m): 7:05am On May 10, 2015
Ask him first But for me, whatever his response, I will still apply
Re: Should I Apply For The Job Or Risk Our Friendship? by scrollmeout(m): 7:11am On May 10, 2015
Thank you all for your mature advice. I have decided to do a walk-in. I'll go to the recruitment office in person and ask about the details of the vacancy. What do you think?

1 Like

Re: Should I Apply For The Job Or Risk Our Friendship? by sabichele: 8:10am On May 10, 2015
Be transparent in friendship; there is nothing wrong in telling your friend that you would love to apply as well, since he informed you about the opening.

1 Like

Re: Should I Apply For The Job Or Risk Our Friendship? by Nobody: 8:17am On May 10, 2015
If u apply,u just betrayed his trust. So just chill out,yours will come. If he didn't tell u,u won't know. I beg use ur church mind. Its nt good to stab ur friend 4rm d bk
Re: Should I Apply For The Job Or Risk Our Friendship? by Nobody: 9:30am On May 10, 2015
scrollmeout:
Hello People,

I'm torn between two decisions. A very good friend and colleague confided in me about his invitation to an interview. Since we both work in the same company and made up our minds to leave, i encouraged him to go for the test/interview since he'll most likely get a better offer. The things is i'm not sure if its morally right to send in my own application as well. I would not want to ruin his chances as i do not know the number of vacancies available. I'm not even sure if it'll be a good idea to even ask him. Our friendship means a lot to me but so does my career as well. Candid advise please?

Do not ruin his chances.

He is the one who informed you about the openings. Your turn will come.

He told you about the opening, so don't act on it.
Re: Should I Apply For The Job Or Risk Our Friendship? by Olabestonic001(m): 12:45pm On May 10, 2015
Well bro, since your friend confided in you about that opening, let him know about your interest too. If he told you its only one opening that's available, don't betray him. He trusted you enough to tell you about it, vying that post with him when its not 'open source' will be bad. Remember the law of karma; he who betrays others will also be betrayed. But if your friend has open mind on it or the job is in the public space; apply too, who knows if it was actually for you. Anyway, as much as possible do not lead a life of 'self' only. There'll surely be a repercussion if your ambitions meant that you use others.
Re: Should I Apply For The Job Or Risk Our Friendship? by mayo47(m): 2:24pm On May 10, 2015
please don't betray, tell him before applying.....
Re: Should I Apply For The Job Or Risk Our Friendship? by Ghost01(m): 5:50pm On May 10, 2015
scrollmeout:
Thank you all for your mature advice. I have decided to do a walk-in. I'll go to the recruitment office in person and ask about the details of the vacancy. What do you think?
Do that, but endeavour to inform your friend of your interest before you do the "walk-in".
Re: Should I Apply For The Job Or Risk Our Friendship? by scrollmeout(m): 6:46pm On May 10, 2015
Ghost01:
Do that, but endeavour to inform your friend of your interest before you do the "walk-in".

Well, I think I'll only apply if
- there is another vacancy (not the position he is applying for)
- there are several positions available

I will try to ascertain that when I visit the recruitment agent. I will have to discuss the outcome of my visit with my friend before I apply so as to have a clear conscience.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Apply For The Job Or Risk Our Friendship? by scrollmeout(m): 2:32pm On Dec 27, 2015
Happy I didn't apply for the job and my friendship is still solid. Neither of us were employed, as the company kept postponing the interview date.

(1) (Reply)

Vacancies For Bsc And Hnd Holders / Port Harcourt Lng 2nd Invitation / Urgent!! DRAGNET Aptitude Test

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.