Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,826 members, 7,802,642 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 06:08 PM

Friends, Associates Have Abandoned Me –Jonathan - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Friends, Associates Have Abandoned Me –Jonathan (34057 Views)

"Northern Governors Have Abandoned Buhari Because Of VP Slot" - Arewa Youths / Expect More Good Works From Me – Jonathan Tells Nigerians / Atiku, Kwankwaso, Others Have Abandoned Buhari, Says PDP (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Friends, Associates Have Abandoned Me –Jonathan by Emenahagos02(m): 6:56am On May 11, 2015
President Goodluck Jonathan said yesterday he was will­ing to pay the supreme price if need be to keep Nigeria’s unity. He said for losing the elec­tion, his friends and associates have abandoned him.

He also assured that in or out of govern­ment, he will continue to give his best to the country that has given him so much from enjoying scholarship throughout his education to being taken care of by the state for 16 years, saying he is “a very happy and fulfilled man”.

He said this at the Thanksgiving and Farewell Service in his honour and his wife, Dame Patience Jonathan at the Cathedral Church of the Advent Life-Camp, Gwarin­pan, Abuja

Jonathan regretted he was not, a good dancer if not, he would have out-danced the biblical David even at the risk of annoying his wife. He said not many Nigerians in his age bracket have been as privileged as he is to have enjoyed government scholarship in school up to master’s degree as well as for­tunate in his political career.

He noted that his good fortunes contin­ued even when he did his Ph.D as his then employers also paid for his scholarship.

Speaking more on paying the supreme price, Jonathan said if soldiers and police officers who do not earn anything close to what he is being paid by the state could die while serving the country and maintaining territorial, integrity, he sees no reason why he too cannot pay the supreme price for Nigeria’s unity.

President Jonathan who noted that he has not suffered lack not because he is hardworking, but simply by God’s grace said, “when I look at the whole picture of my life up to when I became the President of this country, and I say that if soldiers and police officers that have not received 0. 5 per cent of the benefits that I have received from the state can lay their lives for this country, I should do anything in the interest of Nigeria including paying the supreme price.

“As long as live, I will continue to do my best for the state because it has helped me as a person.

“I have to thank Nigerians especially my state for giving me the opportunity to serve as deputy governor, governor and the whole country gave me the opportunity to serve as Vice President and then President , first was to complete the tenure of the late President Umaru Yar’Adua and later serve as Presi­dent from which I am exiting now as a very happy and fulfilled man”.

The President, amid applause and shouts in the emotionally-charged service, said he had taken hard decisions including cleaning up the electoral process for which he has to pay a high price (losing his re-election bid), concluding that it was God’s will that the result turns out the way it did.

Jonathan, while saying he was not surprised that friends and associates have abandoned him, said he expects worst things to happen in future , revealing that those that benefited most from his government’s poli­cies and programmes were those crucifying him today even before he left office.

The President who said he was not bothered by such actions, recalled the story of the last ruler of apartheid South Africa, Frederik Willem de Klerk, who was divorced by his wife for accepting to abolish minority rule, noting it was that a hard choice that is still keeping South Africa a force to reckon with today. He added jokingly that he hope the same fate will not befall him and his wife divorce him for accepting defeat in the last presidential elec­tion. To which the wife quickly, replied with a resounding “Nooooo” which drew another round of applause and shouts,” he said.

Quoting Tai Solarin’s, popular quote, Jonathan said, “To my ministers, I wish you what I wish myself. They will have hard times, we will all have hard times. Our ways will be rough.”

The President thanked Nigerians for their support and urged the church and other religious groups to pray for the success of the incoming administration, saying what matters is not the person in charge of government but how government’s actions impact on the people.

Jonathan said: “ But we are happy the ordinary people appreciate what we did and that is the most important. It’s not what the elite or the privileged few talk or say about you but what the majority of the Nigerian public think about your actions and inac­tions that matter.

“Like the Primate said, we came to Abuja peacefully and we are returning peace­fully. “I thank the church and Nigerians because they stood by us at our most dif­ficult times.

Earlier, former Minister of Informa­tion and one of the directors of Jonathan campaigns organization, Prof Jerry Gana, described the President as man who was favoured by God in many ways, thanking God for what He used Jonathan to achieve for the country.

Earlier in his sermon titled: “Thanks,”giving with the main text taken from 1 Thessalonian 5:18, the Archbishop, Metropolitan and Primate of All Nigeria, the Most Rev. Nicholas Okoh, said the will of God can mean some uncomfortable situation sometimes. He said when Jesus was goiing to the cross it was not a pleasant experience but today we have good friday.

“We are here to join the President to give thanks to God as he rounds off his tenure. When he started he gave thanks to God.The first thing he has to thank God for is the privilege to be president of Nigeria,” he said.

http://sunnewsonline.com/new/?p=118941

Cc:lalasticlala cc:ishilove

20 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Friends, Associates Have Abandoned Me –Jonathan by Dujardin(m): 6:57am On May 11, 2015
Okay, even though I was against and still against your re-election, you have your fair share of applauds for the "least rigged" election and your noteworthy acceptance of defeat.

In other news, I became FTC! it's painful i myself don't know how to dance like David.

35 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Friends, Associates Have Abandoned Me –Jonathan by temitemi1(m): 6:58am On May 11, 2015
GEJ my HERO! FAYOSE my ROLE MODEL!!

87 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Friends, Associates Have Abandoned Me –Jonathan by Shortyy(f): 6:59am On May 11, 2015
K

2 Likes

Re: Friends, Associates Have Abandoned Me –Jonathan by Nobody: 7:01am On May 11, 2015
The poster above me though

2 Likes

Re: Friends, Associates Have Abandoned Me –Jonathan by ellechrystal(f): 7:05am On May 11, 2015
It is even better my darling Jona.
Let them take their betrayal some place else,
So u can rest, they never liked u, n so it's obvious.
Just stay on ur own, something bigger is coming ur way n God doesn't need them in d picture so u can perform.

69 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Friends, Associates Have Abandoned Me –Jonathan by olmde(m): 7:06am On May 11, 2015
Am I the only one who thinks this guy has been talking too much lately? Trying to gather sympathy anywhere possible.

98 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Friends, Associates Have Abandoned Me –Jonathan by Nobody: 7:08am On May 11, 2015
Mr President, you should know better! We wish you the best. You've done your part. God bless you.

It's indeed time to leave the scene. Power is momentary; influence doesn't last forever.

Learning never stops. Trust not in man!

37 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Friends, Associates Have Abandoned Me –Jonathan by Basildvalour(m): 7:12am On May 11, 2015
That's exactly how life rolls; people will definitely neglect you when that interest they seek from you is no more and defeated

God will help us from fair weather friends!

32 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Friends, Associates Have Abandoned Me –Jonathan by kliq(m): 7:13am On May 11, 2015
Failure is truly an orphan, take heart....time to go back to the drawing board Otuoke

May 29th Otuoke loading........98%

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Friends, Associates Have Abandoned Me –Jonathan by opeaceo: 7:14am On May 11, 2015
President Goodluck Jonathan, you should know better, this is politics, no permanent friend, no permanent enemy.
They all want to be associated with the winning team.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Friends, Associates Have Abandoned Me –Jonathan by modath(f): 7:14am On May 11, 2015
Oga Jona News flash: They were never your friends nor associates,they are and will forever remain AGIP agents but you couldn't recognise them for who and what they are because you aren't the sharpest knife in the drawer.

Just the way real & true friends wouldn't allow you go out in public looking like sh1t, so will real friends have stopped you from making your innumerable political gaffes.

24 Likes

Re: Friends, Associates Have Abandoned Me –Jonathan by Medley(m): 7:18am On May 11, 2015
This kind of headlines shouldn't be heard of or seen. Was he expecting Nigerian politician that are only in politics to upload money into their account at all times be with him now that he has lost. He only make people further call him clueless,with this statement

11 Likes

Re: Friends, Associates Have Abandoned Me –Jonathan by kliq(m): 7:18am On May 11, 2015
ellechrystal:
It is even better my darling Jona.
Let them take their betrayal some place else,
So u can rest, they never liked u, n so it's obvious.
Just stay on ur own, something bigger is coming ur way n God doesn't need them in d picture so u can perform.

Sounds like Kirikiri

25 Likes

Re: Friends, Associates Have Abandoned Me –Jonathan by biafransoul: 7:18am On May 11, 2015
This man Gej is truly the father of modern day Nigeria and we will really miss him. He tried his best and even in the face of being mocked and regarded as weak he conceded defeat for Nigeria to remain one. But God in His infinite mercy turned his situation around; even in defeat he became victorious. Sir, you have my utmost respect till the day I die. You're indeed a hero and truly blessed.

26 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Friends, Associates Have Abandoned Me –Jonathan by Youngmolis: 7:20am On May 11, 2015
Useless man increase salary e no increase ediot thank god 4 yaradua

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Friends, Associates Have Abandoned Me –Jonathan by kliq(m): 7:22am On May 11, 2015
opeaceo:
President Goodluck Jonathan, you should know better, this is politics, no permanent friend, no permanent enemy.
They all want to be associated with the winning team.

You said it all,that's just how they roll(polithivescians) they are one and the same...interestingly that's still part of the rule of the game(scandalous tricks)
Re: Friends, Associates Have Abandoned Me –Jonathan by Nobody: 7:22am On May 11, 2015
Youngmolis:
Useless man increase salary e no increase ediot thank god 4 yaradua

A child with some MB!

21 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Friends, Associates Have Abandoned Me –Jonathan by Youngmolis: 7:25am On May 11, 2015
dearpreye:

A child with some MB!
a grand fada with no sense

20 Likes

Re: Friends, Associates Have Abandoned Me –Jonathan by Nobody: 7:27am On May 11, 2015
So is life.......no permanent friends in politics just permanent interests........if tomorrow you go back to holding a prestigious post again they will come back.....life lesson 101

1 Like

Re: Friends, Associates Have Abandoned Me –Jonathan by Nobody: 7:29am On May 11, 2015
olmde:
Am I the only one who thinks this guy has been talking too much lately? Trying to gather sympathy anywhere possible.
Abi o....the man has chopped millions of dollars. Let him go and sit down.

8 Likes

Re: Friends, Associates Have Abandoned Me –Jonathan by ellechrystal(f): 7:29am On May 11, 2015
kliq:

Sounds like Kirikiri
Kill urself... tongue tongue tongue tongue

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Friends, Associates Have Abandoned Me –Jonathan by justi4jesu(f): 7:29am On May 11, 2015
olmde:

You obviously are. tongue

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Friends, Associates Have Abandoned Me –Jonathan by hensben(m): 7:30am On May 11, 2015
E.g your wife

Hope he is not refering to SE leaders by this comment ' even those that benefited from my government are the first to castigate me'.

2 Likes

Re: Friends, Associates Have Abandoned Me –Jonathan by yemstok(m): 7:30am On May 11, 2015
Before nko? were u expecting them to still hang around u?

1 Like

Re: Friends, Associates Have Abandoned Me –Jonathan by MrBasketball: 7:31am On May 11, 2015
temitemi1:
GEJ my HERO! FAYOSE my ROLE MODEL!!
Wake up!!!

Its Monday morning, find something new doing. angry

Jona no vex. grin

11 Likes

Re: Friends, Associates Have Abandoned Me –Jonathan by phransix147(m): 7:31am On May 11, 2015
Na so na... Wetin dem wan dey reason wif former president when present presido don dey...

1 Like

Re: Friends, Associates Have Abandoned Me –Jonathan by folabayo1(f): 7:31am On May 11, 2015
Baye se ri niyen oga jonah grin
Gbafolorun wink
And learn from ur mistakes cos u neva can tell...

4 Likes

Re: Friends, Associates Have Abandoned Me –Jonathan by Ngasky(m): 7:31am On May 11, 2015
Any sane human being knows the basic trait of human sociology. He should have tried to identify with the common man on the street but he rather identify with those vultures around him, thats his choice and he must live by the consequencies of his delibrate actions.
This is an eye opener to others

3 Likes

Re: Friends, Associates Have Abandoned Me –Jonathan by gen2briz(m): 7:32am On May 11, 2015
Abi now
Re: Friends, Associates Have Abandoned Me –Jonathan by Pavore9: 7:32am On May 11, 2015
Fair weather friends is a reality cheesy cheesy

1 Like

Re: Friends, Associates Have Abandoned Me –Jonathan by Nobody: 7:32am On May 11, 2015
Failure has no class

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Obi: Failure To Electronically Transmit Results Nullifies Presidential Election / I'll Expose How Elite Conspired To Ruin Nigeria: Buhari / Amotekun Comment: South-West Governors Back Tinubu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.