Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,013 members, 7,806,957 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 07:48 AM

Banks Get Deadline To Recapitalise - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Banks Get Deadline To Recapitalise (24013 Views)

FG To Restructure, Recapitalise Boa With N500bn / NDIC Boss Urges Banks To Recapitalise / 3 Banks Get June 2016 Recapitalisation Deadline (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Banks Get Deadline To Recapitalise by Adesiji77: 8:55am On May 11, 2015
The Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) has given at least six banks deadline to beef up their capital base in line with the increased capital requirements under Basel II Capital Accord.

Reliable industry sources said many banks have not met the Basel 11 capital requirement and will need to raise additional capital to beef up their capital base within the next 12 months.

According to the sources, the apex bank has mandated the deficient banks to submit a recapitalization plan, outlining the timeline for their capital raising plan, to the apex bank by June 2015. The banks are expected to implement the recapitalization plan and complete their recapitalization plan by the end of June 2016.

A leading global investment and finance firm indicated to The Nation at the weekend that some 10 banks have been confirmed to have met the capital requirements under the Basel 11. These included Access Bank, Diamond Bank, FBN Holdings, FCMB Group, Fidelity Bank, Guaranty Trust Bank, United Bank for Africa (UBA), Zenith Bank, Wema Bank and Skye Bank Plc.

While the capital adequacy ratio of most banks is generally above the minimum regulatory threshold of 15 per cent, the adoption of Basel II implies additional capital as banks grow their risk assets. Besides, banks that are designated as systemically important banks (SIBs) are expected to make provision for additional 100 basis points to increase their minimum capital adequacy ratio to 16 per cent as against the general requirement of 15 per cent.

The Basel II is the second global standards of capital adequacy issued by the Basel Committee on Banking Supervision under the auspices of the Basel, Switzerland-based Bank for International Settlements (BIS), the oldest international financial organisation that coordinates central banks and standards for the international financial markets.

The Basel Committee has issued three sets of the global standards including Basel I, Basel II and Basel III, which increased and stricter capital risks and exposure management requirements from one level to another.

http://thenationonlineng.net/new/banks-get-deadline-to-recapitalise/

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Banks Get Deadline To Recapitalise by biznus: 8:59am On May 11, 2015
Source?

*Modified*

Someone please check I can't seem to find Stanbic IBTC embarassed

4 Likes

Re: Banks Get Deadline To Recapitalise by Adesiji77: 1:50pm On May 11, 2015
biznus:
Source?

Provided smiley
Re: Banks Get Deadline To Recapitalise by Drsheddy(m): 2:11pm On May 11, 2015
Where is the PICTURE of CBN gofno seeing is believing shocked

If you quote me here u r on ur own OYO. tongue

GMB MY HERO

SANUSI Lamido Sanusi My Emir

Amaechi My guy wink

15 Likes

Re: Banks Get Deadline To Recapitalise by Nobody: 2:11pm On May 11, 2015
wink

1 Like

Re: Banks Get Deadline To Recapitalise by just2endowed: 2:11pm On May 11, 2015
hmmmm thank God i made it here
Re: Banks Get Deadline To Recapitalise by tobtap: 2:11pm On May 11, 2015
cheesy

1 Like

Re: Banks Get Deadline To Recapitalise by Nobody: 2:12pm On May 11, 2015
Ok--- "Access Bank, Diamond Bank, FBN Holdings, FCMB Group, Fidelity Bank, Guaranty Trust Bank, United Bank for Africa (UBA), Zenith Bank, Wema Bank and Skye Bank Plc".

Where is Keystone, Enterprise Bank, Heritage Bank, Union Bank others undecided

8 Likes

Re: Banks Get Deadline To Recapitalise by Nobody: 2:12pm On May 11, 2015
My money is safe where it is. Fidelity.

1 Like

Re: Banks Get Deadline To Recapitalise by Archilouis(m): 2:12pm On May 11, 2015
Hard times for the banking sector...it sure will make them stronger
Re: Banks Get Deadline To Recapitalise by clemz88(m): 2:12pm On May 11, 2015
Waka!
Re: Banks Get Deadline To Recapitalise by Pangea: 2:13pm On May 11, 2015
angry
Why is every body in a rush to scatter the status quo before may 29?

2 Likes

Re: Banks Get Deadline To Recapitalise by jjwaterfalls(f): 2:13pm On May 11, 2015
Eya!!!!
This will invariably add pressure on the marketers of these banks.
This is serious sad

5 Likes

Re: Banks Get Deadline To Recapitalise by pretydiva(f): 2:15pm On May 11, 2015
Jst here 2 read comments

1 Like

Re: Banks Get Deadline To Recapitalise by kingiykon(m): 2:15pm On May 11, 2015
Ok
Re: Banks Get Deadline To Recapitalise by Sweetguy25: 2:15pm On May 11, 2015
From the look of things, we may have less than fifteen commercial banks in Nigeria five years from now.
We need more banks in this country, the ones we have at the moment are a waste of time. They are not helping the economy the way banks are supposed to.

4 Likes

Re: Banks Get Deadline To Recapitalise by UnknownT: 2:16pm On May 11, 2015
And the banks are?
Re: Banks Get Deadline To Recapitalise by gbongbo6070(m): 2:16pm On May 11, 2015
this bank of a thing self, always on money stuffs choi
Re: Banks Get Deadline To Recapitalise by Reference(m): 2:17pm On May 11, 2015
Since you don't want to mention the 11 banks I guess my niece who has written her C.E.E and is a genius at Quantitative Reasoning will find the failed banks from the list of those who scaled through. Easy.

2 Likes

Re: Banks Get Deadline To Recapitalise by youngberry001(m): 2:17pm On May 11, 2015
alright
Re: Banks Get Deadline To Recapitalise by Kx: 2:19pm On May 11, 2015
biznus:
Source?

Some news are so true to be sourced lol
Re: Banks Get Deadline To Recapitalise by 989900: 2:19pm On May 11, 2015
Nigerian Banks are nothing more than my childhood 'kolo'.

Banks that can't lend money, or will rather lend at 20%, while banks in serious countries do 2%-7%.

5 Likes

Re: Banks Get Deadline To Recapitalise by naija2dabone(m): 2:19pm On May 11, 2015
Dear Buhari,

Congratulation once again for your victory at the polls.

Now to the point of this letter: You have got 4 years to keep ALL your campaign promises and your time starts May 29 at 00hrs. Please note that we will not tolerate any form of excuses for non performance as nobody forced you to make those promises. We were told that you are a man of your words, so please in your own best interest, keep your words.

We are not asking for heaven on earth, no. We are simple asking that you deliver on YOUR promises:

4 refineries
40mw of electricity
Naira = dollars
N5,000 for unemployed
One year allowance for corp members
Free qualitative education
Fight against corruption, (not selective fight please)
and many more.

Please dont come asking for more time because we dont have the luxury of more time. Dont tell us to be patient, because if we wanted to be patient, Jonathan would have been our perfect man. Dont tell us past leader destroyed the economy because you were one of them. Just get to work and get us result. If you cant deliver, now is the time throw in the towel.

Be guided

Voter

38 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Banks Get Deadline To Recapitalise by GudluckIBB(m): 2:19pm On May 11, 2015
How come Wema bank has meet it, meanwhile Union Bank has not.....I smell rigging in all of this.

1 Like

Re: Banks Get Deadline To Recapitalise by Iamoilprince(m): 2:20pm On May 11, 2015
So Sterling bnk is among? Beta for them! Punishment for saying we failed their test wen some of us could not eveb log in cos of network

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Banks Get Deadline To Recapitalise by jazinogold(m): 2:21pm On May 11, 2015
so my bank no dy among? omo na to go withdraw my money sharp sharp.....I no wan hear say dem use my money do campaign after election!

e b lyk say the bank Wey Trypa dy use dy there oooo.....so she's banking with the best, that's y she's the best person to win miss nairaland!

TRYPA for miss nairaland! nairaland.com/trypa
Re: Banks Get Deadline To Recapitalise by tejpot(m): 2:22pm On May 11, 2015
Good for our economy
Re: Banks Get Deadline To Recapitalise by ElFenomeno1: 2:22pm On May 11, 2015
kennygee:
My money is safe where it is. Fidelity.

They are not talking about your kind of money.... We are not talking a few thousand naira here! grin

1 Like

Re: Banks Get Deadline To Recapitalise by Ajalekoko76(m): 2:23pm On May 11, 2015
Where is ECO Bank? Ki owo ma wo Igbo....

3 Likes

Re: Banks Get Deadline To Recapitalise by hungryboy(m): 2:23pm On May 11, 2015
Mumu ecobank were una dey
Re: Banks Get Deadline To Recapitalise by MKO4ever(m): 2:23pm On May 11, 2015
What is Basel I, Basel II and Basel III?
Re: Banks Get Deadline To Recapitalise by Inception(m): 2:24pm On May 11, 2015
Hard times for female bank marketers:

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Naira Falls To 325 On Dollar Shortage -punch / What Business Can I Start With ₦500k? / A GTB Employee Helped Bank Customer Set Up Her App, Then ‘Stole’ Her N600k - FIJ

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.