Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,245 members, 7,807,825 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 08:02 PM

Things You Must Know Before Coming To South Africa - A Nairalander In SA - Travel (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Things You Must Know Before Coming To South Africa - A Nairalander In SA (128624 Views)

Some Courses To Study In Nigeria Before Coming Over To America / 5 Things You Should Considered Before Coming To Study In The UK / Xenophobia: View Of A Nigerian Living In SA (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (31) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Things You Must Know Before Coming To South Africa - A Nairalander In SA by DBlackCeazer(m): 11:23pm On May 12, 2015
ARE THERE JOB OPPORTUNITIES FOR TECHNICIANS/ELECTRICIANS?
Re: Things You Must Know Before Coming To South Africa - A Nairalander In SA by ucheokpara100(m): 11:30pm On May 12, 2015
DBlackCeazer:
ARE THERE JOB OPPORTUNITIES FOR TECHNICIANS/ELECTRICIANS?
hmmmm yea but not as much as nigeria cos companies are doing most of their major electrical works, maybe u 'll attach to shop owners who are into the same work with u.
Re: Things You Must Know Before Coming To South Africa - A Nairalander In SA by ucheokpara100(m): 11:34pm On May 12, 2015
ddami:
I ve bin 2 oda countries no matter how perfect dey are nig. z still d best 4 me.my grandma will always say God dint make a mistake by dropping u in dis country and not elsewhere. I will contribute my little quota to make naija lyk dose oda countries.last month our road was paved by d CDA and i was so proud of dem d@ z 1 less bad road in naija.......I will b a good Nigerian ambassador and not fly 2 1 fuvking country where I know i will always be a stranger........patriotic Nigerian
is a good decision many of us like to stay their too but we are condering other tins but dont worry we cant run away from home.

2 Likes

Re: Things You Must Know Before Coming To South Africa - A Nairalander In SA by Gentledannie: 12:16am On May 13, 2015
Do you have any info on USA?
How is life and job there now?
Re: Things You Must Know Before Coming To South Africa - A Nairalander In SA by ucheokpara100(m): 12:54am On May 13, 2015
Gentledannie:
Do you have any info on USA? How is life and job there now?
no bro.
Re: Things You Must Know Before Coming To South Africa - A Nairalander In SA by eleven(m): 1:19am On May 13, 2015
Honestly you have changed my perception about SA. Had written off travelling there with my family due to the xenophobic attacks. Will follow your thread to learn more and also show my wife to reconsider our decision. I like the sincere and matured way you answer questions. If we change our minds and decide to visit, you my friend I will surely see and your restaurant by HIS grace we will visit as part of our itinerary. Have saved your phone number. Thank you.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Things You Must Know Before Coming To South Africa - A Nairalander In SA by PAINGAIN: 7:44am On May 13, 2015
eleven:
Honestly you have changed my perception about SA. Had written off travelling there with my family due to the xenophobic attacks. Will follow your thread to learn more and also show my wife to reconsider our decision. I like the sincere and matured way you answer questions. If we change our minds and decide to visit, you my friend I will surely see and your restaurant by HIS grace we will visit as part of our itinerary. Have saved your phone number. Thank you.
SA is a beautiful country. I've received visitors(friends) that visit from europe and america and they r always wowed by SA. The perception people have about this country always change for good when they visit.my friend who had their honeymoon here was like(brother abeg make them no rob me when I get here) I only laughed. He has been here with his wife 4 times after their first visit. He says this is d best medicine for the hustling and bustling in naija, like his GETAWAY destination.

2 Likes

Re: Things You Must Know Before Coming To South Africa - A Nairalander In SA by ucheokpara100(m): 7:52am On May 13, 2015
eleven:
thank you brother iam always available, i will gladly welcome u and ur family.

1 Like

Re: Things You Must Know Before Coming To South Africa - A Nairalander In SA by ucheokpara100(m): 7:54am On May 13, 2015
PAINGAIN:
SA is a beautiful country. I've received visitors(friends) that visit from europe and america and they r always wowed by SA. The perception people have about this country always change for good when they visit.my friend who had their honeymoon here was like(brother abeg make them no rob me when I get here) I only laughed. He has been here with his wife 4 times after their first visit. He says this is d best medicine for the hustling and bustling in naija, like his GETAWAY destination.
very true that was why i told them when you are in nigeria u cant imagine how south africa looks like it's far beautiful than we think at home.

3 Likes

Re: Things You Must Know Before Coming To South Africa - A Nairalander In SA by ucheokpara100(m): 8:26am On May 13, 2015
sincerely speaking i love nigerian, nigerians are great and lovely people just some bad people deceiving and luring them into all these problms, iam glad how people are calling me from different country now to appreciate what i did here, thanks to u all, let's keep struggling God will help us all.
each and everyday i weep and ask what will it take our leaders to make nigeria a comfortable place for everyone to stay in love, peace and harmony instead of greed. i know nigerians are lovely but bad environment has made us go astray.

11 Likes

Re: Things You Must Know Before Coming To South Africa - A Nairalander In SA by OAM4J: 2:25pm On May 13, 2015
Whao!

Interesting different perspective of S.A

Good one ucheokpara100 !
Re: Things You Must Know Before Coming To South Africa - A Nairalander In SA by SisterCaro(m): 3:15pm On May 13, 2015
If you leave your country for another in hopes that you will hustle small small and make big money in no time then you are in for a big surprise.

The best way to get a good job in SA without facing as many challenges as other foreigners face you have to have an SA certificate.

A foreign national with an SA degree will probably have a better chance than a foreign national with a foreign degree although the person with an SA degree might face some form of challenges because on the promotion of employment equity in SA.

There is something called employment equity which SA companies have to implement. They have to provide equal opportunity for blacks (africans, coloureds and indians), women and disabled citizens in their workplaces. This is a means of redressing past discrimination because of apartheid and to reduce levels on unemployment of its own citizens.
What this simply means is that they will always give preference to SA citizens before they consider foreign nationals for job opportunities.

If you have a Nigerian degree its always best you further your studies a little more in SA before you consider working there. If you are one of those outstanding students an opportunity will always come your way but if you are just an average joe you might have to sweat a little before you get the job that you really want.

So before u think you can just land in SA and start making money legally you have to keep this in mind

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Things You Must Know Before Coming To South Africa - A Nairalander In SA by SisterCaro(m): 3:22pm On May 13, 2015
MRBrownJ:

come on man, now you are not fully honest with us....these xenophobic attacks didnt start today. what we saw 2 months ago was just ANOTHER episode of the ongoing xenophobia of SA. it happened in 2008 where they killed 42 people, in may 2009, didnt the local business people of Khayelitsha sent letters to Somali traders threatening them if they did not move out of the area within a week? and also in 2013 where they killed countless africans in renewed xenophobic attacks?

before they used to focus on people from Zimbabwe and Mozambique, but now they blame their problems on EVERYBODY....... and the drug problem in SA is blamed on Nigerians.
you clearly came on the thread with an intention to make SA look as bad as possible and thats wh you keep insisting on this.

I have lived in SA for over a decade and i can say that if you live in surburbs and make your money legally you will not be victim to some of these things.

You cannot claim to know a whole lot more about a place you have never been to. Let me guess you get you info from selected websites on the net? And you always assume all you read is 100% true?

In that case we can all read a few websites on violence and gang wars in brooklyn and conclude that the whole of USA is filled with gangs and drug dealers undecided

8 Likes

Re: Things You Must Know Before Coming To South Africa - A Nairalander In SA by SisterCaro(m): 3:37pm On May 13, 2015
MRBrownJ:

then where exactly do you think these xenophobic issues are worst? was it not in Johannesburg (and also Durban) that the worst of the worst happened few months ago? is J/burg safe for Africans ?! what was done to fix this lingering issue about these South Africans racists who attack and kill africans (en masse) every few yrs?

btw: you didnt answer my question:" are nigerians labelled as criminals/drug dealers or not (thanks to the little few bad apples)?

Even in USA and Europe Nigerians are painted black but that doesnt make every single one of them bad now does it?

Xenophobia attacks were in the CBD in durban and other high density areas in johhannesburg and Chatsworth and that was about it.

Yes Johannesburg and Durban have gone back to normal as far as im concerned and foreigners are safe to roam around these areas.
Re: Things You Must Know Before Coming To South Africa - A Nairalander In SA by ucheokpara100(m): 3:43pm On May 13, 2015
OAM4J:
Whao!
Interesting different perspective of S.A
Good one ucheokpara100 !
thank u dear.
Re: Things You Must Know Before Coming To South Africa - A Nairalander In SA by SisterCaro(m): 3:43pm On May 13, 2015
The living standards in SA may be a little more pricey than Nigeria but they would definitely be more affordable than living in a Western country.

With $500pm you can get a luxurious apartment with security whereas in a Western country that might only get you an average shared apartment.

Food is not expensive an average person who cooks at home regularly might spend not more than $100 per month but if you are a takeaway junkie you might have to double or triple your budget.

6 Likes

Re: Things You Must Know Before Coming To South Africa - A Nairalander In SA by ucheokpara100(m): 3:44pm On May 13, 2015
SisterCaro:
If you leave your country for another in hopes that you will hustle small small and make big money in no time then you are in for a big surprise.

The best way to get a good job in SA without facing as many challenges as other foreigners face you have to have an SA certificate.

A foreign national with an SA degree will probably have a better chance than a foreign national with a foreign degree although the person with an SA degree might face some form of challenges because on the promotion of employment equity in SA.

There is something called employment equity which SA companies have to implement. They have to provide equal opportunity for blacks (africans, coloureds and indians), women and disabled citizens in their workplaces. This is a means of redressing past discrimination because of apartheid and to reduce levels on unemployment of its own citizens.
What this simply means is that they will always give preference to SA citizens before they consider foreign nationals for job opportunities.

If you have a Nigerian degree its always best you further your studies a little more in SA before you consider working there. If you are one of those outstanding students an opportunity will always come your way but if you are just an average joe you might have to sweat a little before you get the job that you really want.

So before u think you can just land in SA and start making money legally you have to keep this in mind
Good.

1 Like

Re: Things You Must Know Before Coming To South Africa - A Nairalander In SA by MRBrownJ: 3:50pm On May 13, 2015
SisterCaro:
you clearly came on the thread with an intention to make SA look as bad as possible and thats wh you keep insisting on this.

I have lived in SA for over a decade and i can say that if you live in surburbs and make your money legally you will not be victim to some of these things.

You cannot claim to know a whole lot more about a place you have never been to. Let me guess you get you info from selected websites on the net? And you always assume all you read is 100% true?

In that case we can all read a few websites on violence and gang wars in brooklyn and conclude that the whole of USA is filled with gangs and drug dealers undecided

i came on this thread because, like the general population, i have heard too many stories of xenophobia and racism against Nigerians and other Africans in SA......and i want to have more info on the subject as we all know that these issues are not 2 months old. if my questions offends anyone living in SA so be it, but these are the queries i have, and need answers to. so YOU (who lives in SA) can do the needful and educate us all on SA, or be quiet and let us continue have the same negative image of SA. your call!

now if you expect us me to just nod to everything someone says without asking any question (about FACTS that are happening in SA) then you must not know me. i have a brain and i decide to use it fully! as you can see, the people who decided to educate us on SA didnt get offended by my question, they simply gave me ANSWERS.

if someone has never been to SA then they will certainly go to any website to educate themselves on the said country (Expedia/Wiki/Tripadvisor/Lonelyplanet or even NL).....and sadly, yes, crime is mentioned quite a lot.

1 Like

Re: Things You Must Know Before Coming To South Africa - A Nairalander In SA by SisterCaro(m): 4:00pm On May 13, 2015
MRBrownJ:

i came on this thread because, like the general population, i have heard too many stories of xenophobia and racism against Nigerians and other Africans in SA......and i want to have more info on the subject as we all know that these issues are not 2 months old. if my questions offends anyone living in SA so be it, but these are the queries i have, and need answers to. so YOU (who lives in SA) can do the needful and educate us all on SA, or be quiet and let us continue have the same negative image of SA. your call!

now if you expect us me to just nod to everything someone says without asking any question (about FACTS that are happening in SA) then you must not know me. i have a brain and i decide to use it fully! as you can see, the people who decided to educate us on SA didnt get offended by my question, they simply gave me ANSWERS.

if someone has never been to SA then they will certainly go to any website to educate themselves on the said country (Expedia/Wiki/Tripadvisor/Lonelyplanet or even NL).....and sadly, yes, crime is mentioned quite a lot.
last time u checked being one-sided is called being biased its not intelligence smiley i hope you get all the info you need.

1 Like

Re: Things You Must Know Before Coming To South Africa - A Nairalander In SA by MRBrownJ: 4:02pm On May 13, 2015
SisterCaro:
Even in USA and Europe Nigerians are painted black but that doesnt make every single one of them bad now does it?

we are still talking on places where Nigerians are viewed as drug dealers, and blamed from the drug problems in SA, right?
if you must know, in the US and Europe, the mention of Nigerians would mostly have fraud/419 come to mind, rather than anything positive. yes, the majority of Nigerians are law abiding citizen but, thanks the the few criminals around, Nigeria is mostly known for what these criminals are doing......everywhere.

Xenophobia attacks were in the CBD in durban and other high density areas in johhannesburg and Chatsworth and that was about it.

Yes Johannesburg and Durban have gone back to normal as far as im concerned and foreigners are safe to roam around these areas.

as i said earlier, A) these Xenophobic attacks are not new, B) this racism thingy in SA (against other Africans) is not new, C) it happened before and will happen again, because the problem has not been solved, and was simply swept under the rug once again.

4 Likes

Re: Things You Must Know Before Coming To South Africa - A Nairalander In SA by MRBrownJ: 4:10pm On May 13, 2015
SisterCaro:
last time u checked being one-sided is called being biased its not intelligence smiley i hope you get all the info you need.

so, if i understand you clearly, people shouldnt ask questions because you get offended by them?! grow up, i have queries and therefore i use my brain and ask questions. when someone will give me answers to these questions, then i will put my brain at ease....now as far as i am concerned, PAINGAIN put my mind at ease on some few questions, but there are many which remain unanswered, mainly:

- the xenophobic attacks that happens every few years in SA aka racism towards blacks in SA (by South Africans)
- what was done to fix the problem (since you are saying that SA is safe "now"wink
- do you think that because you dont live in these townships then there is no problem in SA? go tell that to the countless foreigners who died

4 Likes

Re: Things You Must Know Before Coming To South Africa - A Nairalander In SA by morpheus24: 4:29pm On May 13, 2015
LeSudAfricaine:
Alexandra, diepsloot are slums,\informal settlements Thembisa, Katlegong, Soweto, Gugulethu, Mamelodi etc arte townships

Bla bla bla

Why are you here?

1 Like

Re: Things You Must Know Before Coming To South Africa - A Nairalander In SA by AAinEqGuinea: 4:31pm On May 13, 2015
ucheokpara100:
1.i will start with if you are a graduate and u want to migrate to south africa, it will be wise u learn how to do any other thing cos out of 200 people that come with their certificate only 4 may secure job with it, unless u have someone who will help you but if you dont certificate is not helping us here.
2.if u dont have any one to help you just be prepared to sleep on the street, suffer for like one year or 2 years before you will stabilize.
3.dont hope that any nigerian will help you cos majority of them even the once that have stayed up to 7 to 8 years will still want to take from u.

4.if you come here with with N100,000 it will last you highest 3 months to finish completely so how do you survive cos the least rent here is N21,000 per month and we pay monthly no one will allow you to spend one day in their flat when you dont have money

That's harsh... I can understand tough love and not being taken advantage of...but with all the religious conviction people are quick to throw around ... undecided
Re: Things You Must Know Before Coming To South Africa - A Nairalander In SA by morpheus24: 5:08pm On May 13, 2015
ucheokpara100:
very true that was why i told them when you are in nigeria u cant imagine how south africa looks like it's far beautiful than we think at home.
@ Ucheokpara

My friend, please tell all sides of your story properly. There is a sense of envy that exists with "some" South Africans on how business minded Nigerians are and how they are able to quickly build something out of nothing.

While we acknowledge that there are crooked Nigerians who mostly engage in drug deals please make it clear that there is an inherent dislike for Nigerians in South Africa because of this fact and most South Africans have a skewed perception of Nigerians in general and this affects the daily live of my fellow citizens who live in that country.

While discrimination is not overt in city areas and suburbs, there exists an institutional and societal prejudice that exists for my people in South African in general.

Make your money and repatriate it back home, Do not invest and build a country that does not truly welcome you.

4 Likes

Re: Things You Must Know Before Coming To South Africa - A Nairalander In SA by ucheokpara100(m): 5:19pm On May 13, 2015
morpheus24:

@ Ucheokpara

My friend, please tell all sides of your story properly. There is a sense of envy that exists with "some" South Africans on how business minded Nigerians are and how they are able to quickly build something out of nothing.

While we acknowledge that there are crooked Nigerians who mostly engage in drug deals please make it clear that there is an inherent dislike for Nigerians in South Africa because of this fact and most South Africans have a skewed perception of Nigerians in general and this affects the daily live of my fellow citizens who live in that country.

While discrimination is not overt in city areas and suburbs, there exists an institutional and societal prejudice that exists for my people in South African in general.

Make your money and repatriate it back home, Do not build a country that does not welcome you.
yea thanks i just didnt want to go deep, when my business collapsed because of flood i ran to banks and government micro-finance banks for loan but no one helped me, so i didnt know where to start again (from employer to job hunt) so i decided to go to a foreign country and start all over if not iam not happy settling in a foreign land, i 'll finally return next 2 years to build up again. it 'll be wise for any one to make money here and leave dnt expect to get old here.
Re: Things You Must Know Before Coming To South Africa - A Nairalander In SA by SisterCaro(m): 6:01pm On May 13, 2015
MRBrownJ:

- the xenophobic attacks that happens every few years in SA aka racism against blacks in SA (by South Africans)
MRBrownJ:

these xenophobic attacks didnt start today. what we saw 2 months ago was just ANOTHER episode of the ongoing xenophobia of SA. it happened in 2008 where they killed 42 people, in may 2009, didnt the local business people of Khayelitsha sent letters to Somali traders threatening them if they did not move out of the area within a week? and also in 2013 where they killed countless africans in renewed xenophobic attacks? .
if it pleases you you can keep asking the same question and keep answering your own question over and over again.

- what was done to fix the problem (since you are saying that SA is safe "now"wink

1. victims were put in refugee camps until they could pick themselves up again.

2. Public authorities were placed in areas were attacks were occuring to try and maintain order and arrest perpetrators

3. Some countries sent their citizens back to their own countries.

4. The govt has promised to take more action to address the issues and implement long term solutions ( this doesnt take a day or 2 so please dont ask if anything else beyond what i have already mentioned has been done)

Whats done every
- do you think that because you dont live in these townships then there is no problem in SA? go tell that to the countless foreigners who died
There is no place on earth that is 100% safe. USA seems safe but you still have;
1. Nigerian husbands killing their Registered Nurse wives ( which seems to be a trend now)
2. Serial killers
3. Human trafficking
4. Drug trafficking
5. Nigerians commiting romance and other internet scams.
6. Gang wars
7. Spouses killing their partners to collect their life insurance money.

So as you can see safety is an issue all over the world. Should all that i have mentioned above be the a sufficient for you to relocate back home or stop other nigerians from coming to the USA? I highly doubt it.

Lets not act SA is the only country in the world where foreign nationals die or subjected to unfair discrimination against. Its a global issue

8 Likes

Re: Things You Must Know Before Coming To South Africa - A Nairalander In SA by SisterCaro(m): 6:26pm On May 13, 2015
themilanway:

Ok,but from your experience in the street,are Nigerians guys making it in drug business?

Some do some don't. And to those who do they are always at risk of being arrested or being killed by their rivals/ competition. Whether you make it or not your life will always be at risk because you are doing something illegal.

1 Like

Re: Things You Must Know Before Coming To South Africa - A Nairalander In SA by SisterCaro(m): 6:30pm On May 13, 2015
OneNaira6:

I'm not competing you. I'm trying to open your eyes. Dude is best to go to another african nation and do what you do for a living if you don't want to return to Nigeria. There are several African nations you can go and rebuild. Staying in SA is counting down the days you'll live. I'm sorry but that is the truth. That country is not safe for African. Idk why you came in defense just because I asked you a question in the beginning like as if I'm arguing with you.

Northern Nigeria isnt safe for Nigerians does it mean all over them have to vacate the country because something might or might not happen to them? and please give me just one country that is 100% safe and 100% crime-free so we all know where every African should run to and be free from any form of threat.

4 Likes

Re: Things You Must Know Before Coming To South Africa - A Nairalander In SA by SisterCaro(m): 6:38pm On May 13, 2015
azat:
thanks for all this info.

Pls tell me what you know about Nigerian doctors in SA. Can u link me to any? How easy or hard is it to work in sa for a doctor who schooled in naija?
Thanks
i was once acquainted with a few Nigerian doctors before. Some with foreign degrees had to further their studies in SA before they could practice in SA and some just got the MB Chb in SA

1 Like

Re: Things You Must Know Before Coming To South Africa - A Nairalander In SA by themilanway(m): 6:43pm On May 13, 2015
SisterCaro:

Some do some don't. And to those who do they are always at risk of being arrested or being killed by their rivals/ competition. Whether you make it or not your life will always be at risk because you are doing something illegal.

Thanks for the insight,was just curious as to why SA folks like tagging Nigerians as"Drug Lords".
Re: Things You Must Know Before Coming To South Africa - A Nairalander In SA by SisterCaro(m): 6:44pm On May 13, 2015
penquin:
Op the area called Bedford view what can you say about this place. Thank you
its a decent place to live. Low density area. Close to Bruma Lake and Eastgate mall.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (31) (Reply)

Thread For Nigerians In Other African Countries / Dubai: No Police, No Military, No Media Just An Order (Photos) / My Sweet "Ivory Coast" Memories

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.