Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,426 members, 7,808,523 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:01 PM

$533 Million Dollars Paid As Bribe To GEJ Cabinet Say Italian Prosecutors By ENI - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / $533 Million Dollars Paid As Bribe To GEJ Cabinet Say Italian Prosecutors By ENI (5360 Views)

Charles Eni-Umukoro Remanded In Kuje Prison Over Murder Of Wife, Louisa Eni / $1.1bn Malabu Scandal: Italian Prosecutors Request Trial Of Etete, Shell, Eni, O / Jonathan, Diezani, Others Shared $1.3b In Malabu Oil Fraud—italian Prosecutors (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

$533 Million Dollars Paid As Bribe To GEJ Cabinet Say Italian Prosecutors By ENI by Nobody: 6:38pm On May 12, 2015
MILAN, (Reuters) - Italian prosecutors investigating state-backed firm Eni SpA over the purchase of a Nigerian oil field three years ago allege that at least half of the $1.1 billion paid was used to bribe local politicians, intermediaries and others, according to official documents and a person close to the investigation.

The Milan prosecutors have placed the Italian oil company, its former chief executive Paolo Scaroni and current CEO Claudio Descalzi under investigation for alleged international corruption surrounding the deal for the OPL 245 offshore oil field concession.

Eni and both managers, neither of whom have been charged, have denied any wrongdoing.

Calling on their UK counterpart to assist in freezing suspect assets, Italian prosecutors said in a letter to the UK's Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) seen by Reuters that at least $533 million was paid to Nigerian officials and intermediaries who helped secure the sale.

Eni and Royal Dutch Shell, which is not under investigation, bought the rights to the OPL 245 offshore oil licence block from the Nigerian government in 2011.

As part of their investigation, the Italian prosecutors in May asked the UK's CPS to freeze $85 million in assets related to a Nigerian company, Malabu Oil & Gas, that prosecutors say was involved in the sale, according to a copy of the official request sent by the Milan investigators and seen by Reuters.

ARMOURED CARS

In the letter, the Italian prosecutors alleged that Scaroni and Descalzi oversaw the payments to parties who helped secure the sale. In a second letter they alleged that some of the ultimate recipients of alleged bribes used the money to buy aircraft and armoured cars.

"We are investigating many money transfers to many people in various countries who received sums that vary from millions of dollars to thousands of dollars," the prosecutors said in the follow-up letter, seen by Reuters.

London's Metropolitan Police has also been investigating aspects of the Nigerian deal since last year. A police spokesman said the inquiry into allegations of money laundering is continuing.

OWNERSHIP DISPUTE

The OPL 245 block licence has long been the subject of dispute. It was first awarded a decade ago by military dictator Sani Abacha to Malabu Oil & Gas for a publicly-stated $20 million.

After the death of Abacha, a new Nigerian government annulled the deal. Malabu's licence was reinstated in 2006.

Reuters was not able to locate Malabu for comment, and it is unclear whether the company still exists.

Nigeria's Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, a government agency, did not reply to questions sent by Reuters asking about the investigation by Italian prosecutors.

Shell, which is not under investigation in any case, released a statement saying: "Shell companies have acted at all times in accordance with both Nigerian law and the terms of the OPL 245 resolution agreement with." (Additional reporting by Manuela D'Alessandro and Stephen Jewkes in Milan and Kirstin Ridley in London; Writing by Silvia Aloisi; Editing by Alessandra Galloni and Greg Mahlich)

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/reuters/article-2777505/Large-Enis-Nigerian-oil-deal-cash-went-bribes-Italian-prosecutors.html#ixzz3ZwlHiIAT
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

2 Likes

Re: $533 Million Dollars Paid As Bribe To GEJ Cabinet Say Italian Prosecutors By ENI by Bevista: 6:42pm On May 12, 2015
Sane countries prosecuting their citizens for corruption, even when such corruption is carried out in a foreign country. In my dear country, we celebrate corruption.

A supreme Court Judge in Nigeria cleared Ibori of over 70 count charges, yet a UK high Court Judge was able to nail Ibori with just one count charge. What a country?!

13 Likes

Re: $533 Million Dollars Paid As Bribe To GEJ Cabinet Say Italian Prosecutors By ENI by SeverusSnape(m): 6:46pm On May 12, 2015
What's this co.ck and bull story?
Always looking for ways to discredit the amiable GEJ, These are the set of people(dutchjongen, PassingShot, abduljabbar4) who are unhappy just because Nigeria is not among the 10 most corrupt countries in the world. Very pathetic lot, You guys need serious introspection.
I repeat, This news is so fake like Nicki Minaj's butt.
The blabbermouth below me has something to say though...

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: $533 Million Dollars Paid As Bribe To GEJ Cabinet Say Italian Prosecutors By ENI by Nobody: 6:49pm On May 12, 2015
SeverusSnape:
[size=14pt]Daily Mail UK the most widely read online newspaper you dumbass.Look at the timeline of the bribe payment 2011 and tell me who was in power.[/size]

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: $533 Million Dollars Paid As Bribe To GEJ Cabinet Say Italian Prosecutors By ENI by Nobody: 6:55pm On May 12, 2015
Bevista:
oK
What point are you trying to make?

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: $533 Million Dollars Paid As Bribe To GEJ Cabinet Say Italian Prosecutors By ENI by socialmediaman: 7:09pm On May 12, 2015
Be rest assured that if this is true, they'll also write the incoming government to freeze same assets, and we all know what the EFCC will do to them

2 Likes

Re: $533 Million Dollars Paid As Bribe To GEJ Cabinet Say Italian Prosecutors By ENI by okiezman(m): 7:10pm On May 12, 2015
dutchjongen:
[size=14pt]Daily Mail UK the most widely read online newspaper you dumbass.Look at the timeline of the bribe payment 2011 and tell me who was in power.[/size]

Most widely read doesn't mean they are always right... and stop insulting like kid...make points without insult

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: $533 Million Dollars Paid As Bribe To GEJ Cabinet Say Italian Prosecutors By ENI by armadeo(m): 7:11pm On May 12, 2015
Malabu oil and gas deal. Like the proverbial Pandoras box the damn thing just won't shut.

Etete , Oga jona etc . we dey look una.

533million dollars. These people don't fear God at all.

6 Likes

Re: $533 Million Dollars Paid As Bribe To GEJ Cabinet Say Italian Prosecutors By ENI by Nobody: 7:23pm On May 12, 2015
okiezman:

Most widely read doesn't mean they are always right... and stop insulting like kid...make points without insult
When dealing with SeverusSnape I have no choice to insult him he's a dumbass.

4 Likes

Re: $533 Million Dollars Paid As Bribe To GEJ Cabinet Say Italian Prosecutors By ENI by Nobody: 7:25pm On May 12, 2015
armadeo:
Malabu oil and gas deal. Like the proverbial Pandoras box the damn thing just won't shut.

Etete , Oga jona etc . we dey look una.

533million dollars. These people don't fear God at all.
This money is nothing to them we are still yet to get to the mystery of the missing $20 billion from NNPC which audit which was done without haveing access to CBN and NPDC bank statements

6 Likes

Re: $533 Million Dollars Paid As Bribe To GEJ Cabinet Say Italian Prosecutors By ENI by seunmsg(m): 7:28pm On May 12, 2015
In a matter of weeks, everybody involved will start answering questions on the roles they play in the sleaze. The outgoing petroleum minister will definitely have her hands full after leaving office. It seems their is always a corruption case hanging over all the transactions she handle as a minister.

2 Likes

Re: $533 Million Dollars Paid As Bribe To GEJ Cabinet Say Italian Prosecutors By ENI by DaGC(m): 7:33pm On May 12, 2015
Honestly, people need to get off this crazy assumption that in the next few years, Nigeria would be corruption free. Yes, it will reduce, but it wont entirely be wiped off. People will still use money to bribe electoral officers, block courses in school, give appointments/assets to their favoured candidates etc.and the President might not even know, unless of course he's a psychic.

We have heard all sorts of stories against GEJ but none actually sticks to him, just members of his cabinet, and most are allegations, nothing else. Hopefully, we'll see 1 or 2 cases after the handing over since the incoming administration has so much cited corruption and many other cases against the present administration.

Now, sit back and watch as this thread becomes full with people accusing GEJ of this scandal despite no where in the article citing his name.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: $533 Million Dollars Paid As Bribe To GEJ Cabinet Say Italian Prosecutors By ENI by Nobody: 7:33pm On May 12, 2015
seunmsg:
In a matter of weeks, everybody involved will start answering questions on the roles they play in sleazing the country.
They will all run out of the country and cool for a few months all of them have more than one passport.In most countries you need to make a miniumum financial investment to get their passport.Look at David Mark he is also has a passport of Belize in South America likely because he has a refinery there.
Re: $533 Million Dollars Paid As Bribe To GEJ Cabinet Say Italian Prosecutors By ENI by Nobody: 7:37pm On May 12, 2015
DaGC:
Honestly, people need to get off this crazy assumption that in the next few years, Nigeria would be corruption free. Yes, it will reduce, but it wont entirely be wiped off. People will still use money to bribe electoral officers, block courses in school, give appointments/assets to their favoured candidates etc.and the President might not even know, unless of course he's a psychic.

We have heard all sorts of stories against GEJ but none actually sticks to him, just members of his cabinets, and most are allegations, nothing else. Hopefully, we'll see 1 or 2 cases after the handing over since the incoming administration has so much cited corruption and many other cases against the present administration.

Now, sit back and watch as this thread becomes full with people accusing GEJ of this scandal despite no where in the article citing his name.
In all honesty you think $533 million dollars bribe will be paid to those that work for you and you will not be aware.Who ultimately approves the deal?When Attorney General Mohammed Adoke and Minister of State for Finance Ngama negiotated the deal and bribes you are telling me Goodluck Jonathan who approved it was not aware,go and tell that story to the marines.
Hopefully when Buhari takes over the Italians will contact him because they know right now the bribe takers are in power till May 29 and nothing will be done about this case.

5 Likes

Re: $533 Million Dollars Paid As Bribe To GEJ Cabinet Say Italian Prosecutors By ENI by DaGC(m): 7:49pm On May 12, 2015
dutchjongen:

In all honesty you think $533 million dollars bribe will be paid to those that work for you and you will not be aware.Who ultimately approves the deal?When Attorney General Mohammed Adoke and Minister of State for Finance Ngama negiotated the deal and bribes you are telling me Goodluck Jonathan who approved it was not aware,go and tell that story to the marines.
Hopefully when Buhari takes over the Italians will contact him because they know right now the bribe takers are in power till May 29 and nothing will be done about this case.

So, where it stated that the money was used to bribe local politicians and intermediaries, now results to GEJ? undecided

I want to believe you are business savvy and have an idea of how certain things are done around the world. Thank God an italian company is paying the bribe, so they know what they want. The bribe was nothing more than 'pushing my company's name to the top of considered options and making a good case for me so that I'll get it'. Now, please sir, kindly tell me how that relates to GEJ collecting the $533m?

2 Likes

Re: $533 Million Dollars Paid As Bribe To GEJ Cabinet Say Italian Prosecutors By ENI by oduastates: 7:53pm On May 12, 2015
Hmm.
Nigeria has always been corrupt but Jonathan government took corruption to a different planet

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: $533 Million Dollars Paid As Bribe To GEJ Cabinet Say Italian Prosecutors By ENI by Nobody: 8:01pm On May 12, 2015
DaGC:

So, where it stated that the money was used to bribe local politicians and intermediaries, now results to GEJ? undecided

I want to believe you are business savvy and have an idea of how certain things are done around the world. Thank God an italian company is paying the bribe, so they know what they want. The bribe was nothing more than 'pushing my company's name to the top of considered options and making a good case for me so that I'll get it'. Now, please sir, kindly tell me how that relates to GEJ collecting the $533m?
"In the letter, the Italian prosecutors alleged that Scaroni and Descalzi oversaw the payments to parties who helped secure the sale. In a second letter they alleged that some of the ultimate recipients of alleged bribes used the money to buy aircraft and armoured cars."

So when his cabinet members where buying private jets as stated by Italian Prosecutors Goodluck Jonathan was not aware they were living of the avails of bribes they received right?

5 Likes

Re: $533 Million Dollars Paid As Bribe To GEJ Cabinet Say Italian Prosecutors By ENI by SeverusSnape(m): 8:05pm On May 12, 2015
dutchjongen:
I wish I had your time now, Unfortunately, I don't.
Re: $533 Million Dollars Paid As Bribe To GEJ Cabinet Say Italian Prosecutors By ENI by 4Play(m): 8:05pm On May 12, 2015
SeverusSnape:

Some of you people just love playing the ostritch in your shameless defence of the indefensible.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: $533 Million Dollars Paid As Bribe To GEJ Cabinet Say Italian Prosecutors By ENI by Nobody: 8:09pm On May 12, 2015
SeverusSnape:

I wish I had your time now, Unfortunately, I don't.
GTFOH

4 Likes

Re: $533 Million Dollars Paid As Bribe To GEJ Cabinet Say Italian Prosecutors By ENI by Nobody: 8:10pm On May 12, 2015
4Play:

Some of you people just love playing the ostritch in your shameless defence of the indenfensible.
Don't mind them they are kind of people to defend James Ibori and Lawrence Anini

4 Likes

Re: $533 Million Dollars Paid As Bribe To GEJ Cabinet Say Italian Prosecutors By ENI by DaGC(m): 8:11pm On May 12, 2015
dutchjongen:

"In the letter, the Italian prosecutors alleged that Scaroni and Descalzi oversaw the payments to parties who helped secure the sale. In a second letter they alleged that some of the ultimate recipients of alleged bribes used the money to buy aircraft and armoured cars."

So when his cabinet members where buying private jets as stated by Italian Prosecutors Goodluck Jonathan was not aware they were living of the avails of bribes they received right?

Dude, no where in the article does it state that the entire bribe was for politicians or GEJ's cabinet. There are also community leaders in play here too. And if a civilian or even a public service holder buying armoured vehicles is now seen as a president's responsibility to check on, then truly the role of the office of the Presidency has been ridiculed much.

1 Like

Re: $533 Million Dollars Paid As Bribe To GEJ Cabinet Say Italian Prosecutors By ENI by okiezman(m): 8:12pm On May 12, 2015
dutchjongen:

Insulting him makes you a bigger dumbass. Next time be a gentle man

1 Like

Re: $533 Million Dollars Paid As Bribe To GEJ Cabinet Say Italian Prosecutors By ENI by Nobody: 8:15pm On May 12, 2015
SeverusSnape:
Always looking for ways to discredit the amiable GEJ, These are the set of people(dutchjongen, PassingShot, abduljabbar4) who are unhappy just because Nigeria is not among the 10 most corrupt countries in the world. Very pathetic lot, You guys need serious introspection.
I repeat, This news is so fake like Nicki Minaj's butt.
The blabbermouth below me has something to say though...
This case is before Italian court in Milan right now the bribe givers in Italy are being prosecuted what has Goodluck Jonathan done to the bribetakers in Nigeria of the $533 million dollars who are flying around with their Private jets and armoured cars in Nigeria?

3 Likes

Re: $533 Million Dollars Paid As Bribe To GEJ Cabinet Say Italian Prosecutors By ENI by SeverusSnape(m): 8:16pm On May 12, 2015
okiezman:

Nicely put.

1 Like

Re: $533 Million Dollars Paid As Bribe To GEJ Cabinet Say Italian Prosecutors By ENI by Nobody: 8:17pm On May 12, 2015
okiezman:

Point noted, I should'nt have to stoop to his level.
Re: $533 Million Dollars Paid As Bribe To GEJ Cabinet Say Italian Prosecutors By ENI by SeverusSnape(m): 8:20pm On May 12, 2015
dutchjongen:

This case is before Italian court in Milan right now the bribe givers in Italy are being prosecuted what has Goodluck Jonathan done to the bribetakers in Nigeria of the $533 million dollars who are flying around with their Private jets and armoured cars in Nigeria?
Jonathan... JONATHAN... JONATHAN!
Must everything be about Jonathan... So he should be going around inspecting people's private jet?...Must GEJ know about everything??

1 Like

Re: $533 Million Dollars Paid As Bribe To GEJ Cabinet Say Italian Prosecutors By ENI by SeverusSnape(m): 8:21pm On May 12, 2015
dutchjongen:
Yeah... You're a buharistic fool. Stoop to my level?...Did I even insult you at first??
Re: $533 Million Dollars Paid As Bribe To GEJ Cabinet Say Italian Prosecutors By ENI by okiezman(m): 8:22pm On May 12, 2015
dutchjongen:

Yes but am glad to understand my stand

1 Like

Re: $533 Million Dollars Paid As Bribe To GEJ Cabinet Say Italian Prosecutors By ENI by Nobody: 8:27pm On May 12, 2015
SeverusSnape:

Jonathan... JONATHAN... JONATHAN!
Must everything be about Jonathan... So he should be going around inspecting people's private jet?...Must GEJ know about everything??
He does'nt have no know about everything but must surely know when $533 million dollar bribe has been paid in the country. This money is enough to build a small refinery yet a few individuals shared the money and put it in their bank accounts
Yet you wonder why they called him clueless and dumbo this is the reason why,how can you not be aware of a bribe of such magnitude especially when the bribe givers are being prosecuted in Italy.

1 Like

Re: $533 Million Dollars Paid As Bribe To GEJ Cabinet Say Italian Prosecutors By ENI by ibietela2(m): 8:29pm On May 12, 2015
Until I see ENOUGH EVIDENCE, this story is fake as Nigeria

1 Like

Re: $533 Million Dollars Paid As Bribe To GEJ Cabinet Say Italian Prosecutors By ENI by Nobody: 8:31pm On May 12, 2015
ibietela2:
Until I see ENOUGH EVIDENCE, this story is fake as Nigeria
Which evidence do you need again!!! The source is Daily Mail UK,the case is before Italian court in Milan Italy right now.
Google is your friend

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Why Does The Average Yoruba Man Support Buhari Even More Than Northerners? / Facebook User Calls Out Afikpo Chick 'maria Ude Nwachi',terms Her Pro Prostitute / Just In: Senate Adjourns Plenary To Jan 16, 2019

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.