Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,967 members, 7,799,287 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 06:31 PM

Buhari And The Challenge Of Unpaid Salaries - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari And The Challenge Of Unpaid Salaries (20562 Views)

Kogi Worker Results To Online Begging After 2 Years Of Unpaid Salaries (Photo) / First Week In Opposition: PDP Struggles With The Challenge Of New Status! / We Voted APC Because Of Unpaid Salaries – Benue Workers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Buhari And The Challenge Of Unpaid Salaries by Emenahagos02(m): 6:47am On May 13, 2015
Nigeria’s President-elect, General Muhammadu Buhari, no doubt, has a huge burden upon his shoulder. Nearly every sector throughout the country is threatened.  The sixteen years’ reign of the People Democratic Party, PDP, has been a matter of one step forward two steps backwards.  The economy is currently in comatose. The nation’s foreign reserve has been  depleted. To worsen things, inflation and unemployment is at an all-time high while  corruption is rife.  The truth, however, is that Nigeria is actually in trouble.

One of the very daunting tasks that General Buhari and his team would have to tackle, in earnest, is that of unpaid salaries. In the last sixteen years, the norm in budgetary planning, formulation and execution has been for recurrent expenditure to be excessively higher than capital outlay. This is not, in any way, peculiar to the Federal Government (FG) alone as nearly all the state governments in the country operate a similar unproductive budgetary planning.

The consequence of this is the poor state of social and physical infrastructure across the country. Almost all federal roads are in terrible conditions. The  PDP-led government, after sixteen years in power, could not fix the nation’s refineries as we continue to import refined petroleum products.  This is what happens when a nation fails to prioritize its developmental needs. No nation in the world, not even the almighty United States of America, touted as the number-one economy could develop via the kind of budgetary system we have been operating in the past sixteen years.

High wage bills, as well as escalating cost of governance, remains a major threat to the survival of democracy in the country. Presently, aside the various Federal Government agencies and parastatals that are being owed various degrees of salaries and emoluments, about twenty six (26) State Governments in the country are owing workers salaries in arrears of months. The State of Osun readily comes to mind here as the state has been singled out for target of media attack on this issue. I am piqued about this though  the state is not the only one in this dire financial strait. The Governor, Ogbeni Rauf Aregbesola was, in fact, the first person to call national attention to this financial disaster in 2013, when he alleged that the FG had declared war on the state as allocation dropped to 40%.

It will be difficult to query his record as a worker-friendly administrator. In some states, in order to ensure workers go home with something; salaries are paid in bits, and my lawyer friend told me this was a breach of contract.  Expectedly, in most of the States, workers are threatening to go on strike in a bid to press home their demands for prompt payment of their wages. Things are not looking up at all.

With the decline in revenue accruing to the Federation Account through the sale of crude oil, some of the states might not be able to pay workers salaries, not to talk of paying arrears of pension and gratuity being owed pensioners. As things stand, the amount that stands to the credit of each of the states monthly is not enough to pay workers’ wages, and this means all other similar recurring expenditures would suffer. A few of them that try to embark on capital spending do so through loans from banks and bonds earlier negotiated, which must be serviced regularly at huge cost.

With this stark reality, it has therefore, become highly imperative for the incoming Buhari administration to take a holistic view of the whole issue with a view to saving our democracy from  imminent collapse. Bureaucracy is meant to help drive the pace of development in a democracy. In any nation where bureaucracy has become the problem rather than the solution, democracy would  become endangered. This is where General Buhari, and his team need to take decisive steps to save the country from what has become a chronic and nagging problem. As a stop-gap measure, one is actually canvassing that the incoming Buhari administration bails out the states that are owing excessive workers’ wages by offsetting such, and give them enough to pay pensions and gratuity. We have done it before.

Unpaid salaries have always plagued civil administration in Nigeria. Military takeover, had always been the quick fix, but with its recurring nature, it’s obvious we have not found the solution. Yes, government is always the biggest employer of labour; we cannot continue to bring idle hands into governments without a commensurate analysis of what is actually needed. This is to avert undue labour disputes that could cause needless troubles in the land. A sound employment policy would still address the problem of unemployment.

Equally, the idea of the Federal Government entering into wage negotiations on behalf of the State Governments should be discarded. Since the revenue base of each state differs, it would be inappropriate for both the Federal Government and the Labour Unions, to force State Governments to pay their worker’s wages being paid by the Federal Government. Each State Government ought to employ and pay according to its capacity. Equally important is that labour unions must desist from the incessant act of demanding for an arbitrary wage increase. While the work force deserves better pay packages, government has responsibilities to the larger society through the provision of social amenities and infrastructures.

In the same vein, governments across the land need to cut all avenues that open the door for wastes in governance. We have taken the issue of taxation too lightly in this country. No nation attains greatness without the adequate contributions of the citizens in the forms of taxes. We must start emphasizing our tax systems to make governments and citizens more fiscally responsible. Democracy is about bringing development to a greater number of the people. It is about human and capital development. It ceases to be democracy when just a few individuals or groups corner the commonwealth while the rest of the society languishes in abject poverty. Now that change has come, it is, indeed, the right time to get things done in the right way in order to get the right result. God bless Nigeria.

http://sunnewsonline.com/new/?p=119261

Cc:lalasticlala

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari And The Challenge Of Unpaid Salaries by tessylove2(f): 6:52am On May 13, 2015
Ok na so I made FTC for the second time grin
Re: Buhari And The Challenge Of Unpaid Salaries by kelvyn7: 6:55am On May 13, 2015
I no even understand all these unpaid salaries wey dem dey pack wait dis man ooo

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari And The Challenge Of Unpaid Salaries by coolcharm(m): 7:00am On May 13, 2015
Baba is coming to inherit gbese. No worries, who ever has stolen our money must vomit it o.

30 Likes

Re: Buhari And The Challenge Of Unpaid Salaries by AnneMomoh: 7:12am On May 13, 2015
Governing Naija, no be beans oh

3 Likes

Re: Buhari And The Challenge Of Unpaid Salaries by DjHypno(m): 7:13am On May 13, 2015
Blame it on GEJ

4 Likes

Re: Buhari And The Challenge Of Unpaid Salaries by kelvyn7: 7:33am On May 13, 2015
AnneMomoh:
Governing Naija, no be beans oh

I dey tell u

infact, na after abt 2yrs we go know how far with GMB.

I pray he presides well, or else hmmmm grin
Re: Buhari And The Challenge Of Unpaid Salaries by TeamSimple(m): 7:44am On May 13, 2015
Infact sometimes I wonder,where is this man going to start from..With God and dedication all things are possible sha..May God grant him wisdom to succeed.

27 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari And The Challenge Of Unpaid Salaries by AmucheJane(f): 7:54am On May 13, 2015
TeamSimple:
Infact sometimes I wonder,where is this man going to start from..With God and dedication all things are possible sha..May God grant him wisdom to succeed.
Hmmmmmmmm, so u can reason like a human being, u could have started with that hatred all over you. I just forgot the topic is about your father buhari grin, nonsense.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari And The Challenge Of Unpaid Salaries by TeamSimple(m): 7:57am On May 13, 2015
AmucheJane:
Hmmmmmmmm, so u can reason like a human being, u could have started with that hatred all over you. I just forgot the topic is about your father buhari grin, nonsense.
You again? *faints
Re: Buhari And The Challenge Of Unpaid Salaries by Dewze(m): 8:39am On May 13, 2015
Why is it that Nigerian journalists do not know how to summarize and make their points early enough in their write up. For crying out loud, why spend half of your write up talking about all the problems in Nigeria like we do not know them already. You only end up making your article unnecessarily long, tedious and boring.

28 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari And The Challenge Of Unpaid Salaries by utytill(m): 9:14am On May 13, 2015
Is federal govt. indebted to any state?

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari And The Challenge Of Unpaid Salaries by publicenemy(m): 4:58pm On May 13, 2015
Hmnnn... And some people dey cAll GEJ heroe.

4 Likes

Re: Buhari And The Challenge Of Unpaid Salaries by Sweetguy25: 4:58pm On May 13, 2015
The commentator made a grave error by saying that the united states operates a better budgetary system than Nigeria.
If I'm right, the US has a budget of about 3 trillion dollars (about 500 trillion naira) and over 90 percent of the budget is spent on recurrent expenditure. I doubt if the US federal government budgets on capital expenditure.
There's absolutely nothing wrong with the Nigerian budget.

jumper524:
dis guy where u get ur sense 4rm who told u that?

I know what I'm saying. The Nigerian government has the ability and authority to create money(naira) by fiat.
There is something called quantitative easing, its a monetary policy instrument used by government to stimulate the economy.
The Nigerian government should adopt such policies to solve some of their expenditure problems. The United states of America does the same thing.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Buhari And The Challenge Of Unpaid Salaries by okooloyun1(m): 4:58pm On May 13, 2015
Re: Buhari And The Challenge Of Unpaid Salaries by Nobody: 4:58pm On May 13, 2015
"be careul what you wish for. you just might get it!"
he's been longing to be president since before some ppl were born and died
oya take the presidency naa... knock yuaself out! sai baba maga!

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari And The Challenge Of Unpaid Salaries by Ayindesegun10(m): 4:59pm On May 13, 2015
The fact is some states are richer than others
and same goes also in united States. Every
States, local government area need to generate
their revenue and spend according to what is
generated. Oil prices will continue to go down
due to oil discovery in new places and over
reliance on oil is a recipe for disaster..
Buhari does not have any magic to do and he
knows that. All he has to do is true federalism
and reduce in cost of governance.
Federal government has way too much
responsilities that makes it impossible to
accomplish.

2 Likes

Re: Buhari And The Challenge Of Unpaid Salaries by Jarchi(m): 4:59pm On May 13, 2015
He would have to repair b4 he can change it

2 Likes

Re: Buhari And The Challenge Of Unpaid Salaries by magabounce(m): 4:59pm On May 13, 2015
PDP ha sucked us Dry!!!!!

2 Likes

Re: Buhari And The Challenge Of Unpaid Salaries by demmy0325(m): 5:00pm On May 13, 2015
Re: Buhari And The Challenge Of Unpaid Salaries by omenka(m): 5:00pm On May 13, 2015
The task ahead is indeed daunting but I believe he'd pull through.

Wish that was me he's writing a letter to... Such a wonderful gentleman. smiley

3 Likes

Re: Buhari And The Challenge Of Unpaid Salaries by Ezenwammadu(m): 5:00pm On May 13, 2015
Unpaid salaries should not be headache of the FG but rather the state governors thats why they are there

4 Likes

Re: Buhari And The Challenge Of Unpaid Salaries by Nobody: 5:00pm On May 13, 2015
Smh.

Jonathan wants to make sure he leaves a mess for buhari to clean up.

Jonathan....evil. He just realised we have boko haram in nigeria.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari And The Challenge Of Unpaid Salaries by Archilouis(m): 5:00pm On May 13, 2015
May we find & recognise the way to right all the past wrongs

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Buhari And The Challenge Of Unpaid Salaries by efilefun(m): 5:00pm On May 13, 2015
It's a pity some people wanted this same administration to continue sucking and milking the nation dry for the next four years. Obasanjo was widely criticized but I could remember a statement Obasanjo made after settling nigeria's foreign debts "now that the debts are being settled no foreigner will ever accuse you of owing his or her country when you are on their land" fast forward to 2015 and the case is something else, when u tell a foreigner you from Nigeria, they start looking at you with pity like someone who had been in hell throughout he's or her life.

It's so obvious if all funds embezzled only in this outgoing administration is recovered it will serve the nation for the next four years without touching a dime from the oil industry and other sectors.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari And The Challenge Of Unpaid Salaries by Akbee(m): 5:00pm On May 13, 2015
we are eager to see the change he talked about
Re: Buhari And The Challenge Of Unpaid Salaries by holyokoto(m): 5:00pm On May 13, 2015
Even our national Depth has extremely increased, Only God will punish our predecessors and the GEJ administrators. Baba has a lot of work to do, I believe God is on his side

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari And The Challenge Of Unpaid Salaries by yungcyrus(m): 5:00pm On May 13, 2015
my illiterate presido..............shey??
Re: Buhari And The Challenge Of Unpaid Salaries by azimibraun: 5:00pm On May 13, 2015
werin the person before him gej inherit? with that we can know exactly werin to talk. was it easy for gej also?
Re: Buhari And The Challenge Of Unpaid Salaries by clemz88(m): 5:01pm On May 13, 2015
publicenemy:
Ju
ju for juju
Re: Buhari And The Challenge Of Unpaid Salaries by efilefun(m): 5:01pm On May 13, 2015
azimibraun:
werin the person before him gej inherit? with that we can know exactly werin to talk. was it easy for gej also?

Obasanjo settled every kobo Nigeria was owing that should be enough to show you how far this administration had damaged Nigeria. Even before Yaradua died he reduced the price of petrol. So hard to point to something positive in this outgoing administration

AmucheJane:
Smh

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Bayelsa Governorship: How The Winner Will Emerge - Daily Trust / Osinbajo Meets With Military Service Chiefs in Abuja (photos) / Timi Frank To Tinubu: Your Silence Over Attacks Against Yorubas Worrisome

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.