Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,551 members, 7,809,018 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:09 PM

She Switched Her A.c On Always.. - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / She Switched Her A.c On Always.. (28280 Views)

Skin Creams And Positive Effects Of Vitamin C On Our Skin / Is The Water Coming Out From An A/C Clean And Hygienic? / How The Use Of Car A/c Can Cause Cancer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: She Switched Her A.c On Always.. by damiloladuke: 11:42am On May 13, 2015
and Why would a baby be left in an ACd room in the first place. too painful

READ MY SIGNATURE...
Re: She Switched Her A.c On Always.. by 9jatatafo(m): 11:42am On May 13, 2015
When Mary was nursing such a new born, didn't her mother or the mother of the father of the baby around to help her? New borns need heat more than cold because if you look carefully, experienced mothers always wrapped their babies. At 20 I believe Mary was too inexperienced to nurse a baby all alone. The AC generated cold and the cold affected the baby.
Re: She Switched Her A.c On Always.. by Nobody: 11:43am On May 13, 2015
t
Re: She Switched Her A.c On Always.. by hotgunz(m): 11:43am On May 13, 2015
edoborn:
its not good for babies
poorman language.... Says who?
Re: She Switched Her A.c On Always.. by justi4jesu(f): 11:44am On May 13, 2015
Blame it on the Air condition smiley
Re: She Switched Her A.c On Always.. by Prowizy2(m): 11:44am On May 13, 2015
It happens when you have witches and wizards as course mates!!!

1 Like

Re: She Switched Her A.c On Always.. by hotgunz(m): 11:44am On May 13, 2015
9jatatafo:
When Mary was nursing such a new born, didn't her mother or the mother of the father of the baby around to help her? New borns need heat more than cold because if you look carefully, experienced mothers always wrapped their babies. At 20 I believe Mary was too inexperienced to nurse a baby all alone. The AC generated cold and the cold affected the baby.
so u tellin me the baby was naked ba?
Re: She Switched Her A.c On Always.. by stephenqueen: 11:46am On May 13, 2015
cry cry
Re: She Switched Her A.c On Always.. by redcliff: 11:47am On May 13, 2015
youngice:
no, i don't think so,provided the baby is well covered and the AC conditions the air well,it will even make the baby frsher 16 degrees is not so cold,after all, upon all the heater and everything the weather overseas is much colder
my condolences to the mother

Ypu cant compare a baby born in cold and a baby born in the heat.
Re: She Switched Her A.c On Always.. by NoQualms1(f): 11:47am On May 13, 2015
My doctor once asked me if I switch on the AC for my baby and I said no. He said I should always do that, that it's not dangerous. I don't think it is the AC, will make research into it.
Re: She Switched Her A.c On Always.. by LEXYCOM: 11:49am On May 13, 2015
Who are u blaming now, those u came visiting for refusing to tell her that cold kills babies or the poor a/c?

1 Like

Re: She Switched Her A.c On Always.. by 1stola: 11:50am On May 13, 2015
ziqqz:
Free the poor AC abeg
Whatever will be, will be!
Jobless Iunatic on rampage grin grin grin
Senseless goat.

Re: She Switched Her A.c On Always.. by philips70(m): 11:51am On May 13, 2015
Except it's a very small room with the AC directly attacking the baby's breath. Kids generally sleep more in a cooler room and pneumonia doesn't just kill without first making the baby very sick.

2 Likes

Re: She Switched Her A.c On Always.. by nairainfoscom(m): 11:51am On May 13, 2015
Probably the AC killed the baby. My nephew almost died from nimonia and the cause was the AC that was always on. Another incident which I witnessed at Isolo General Hospital last year was a woman whose baby died as a result of exposure to cold. So I can say that the cause of death is the cold. My sympathy to the family.

1 Like

Re: She Switched Her A.c On Always.. by Nobody: 11:53am On May 13, 2015
1stola:

I'm Jobless Iunatic on rampage grin grin grin
I wanna be a Senseless goat when I grow up.

Ok naa... Good luck!
Bwahahahahahahhhhahaha grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: She Switched Her A.c On Always.. by hyelhira: 11:55am On May 13, 2015
The loss of the baby is a really sad. It's the misuse of AC that kills. I have three children and the youngest is a year and 6 months. AC has not killed any of them. In fact, after the delivery of the first, we were afraid the AC might be bad for her and we stopped using the AC for a while till she had this terrible heat rash. We didn't make the same mistake with the other two.

However, the purpose of the AC (for us) is to maintain a comfortable room temperature. It pays to read the manual and understand the settings of the AC for optimal benefit as cold can kill especially in the nights. For us, we often have the temperature at about 20 o C during the day and higher with health settings during the night.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: She Switched Her A.c On Always.. by youngice(m): 11:56am On May 13, 2015
redcliff:

Ypu cant compare a baby born in cold and a baby born in the heat.
loooool,true but babies are highly adaptive,the get used to their environment very fast
Re: She Switched Her A.c On Always.. by 9jatatafo(m): 11:57am On May 13, 2015
hotgunz:
so u tellin me the baby was naked ba?

The baby putting on light clothes while the AC is on means that the child wasn't proper covered.
Re: She Switched Her A.c On Always.. by daveP(m): 11:57am On May 13, 2015
glassman:
cold bawo!! What of children born in temperate regions?

My question!!
was the baby immunised before her frends started carryin?? cos some diseases cud have bn transfered by 'mere touching' and since the baby's immunity is low, a sudden onset of infection cud kill in hours
sure the baby was.

Her words

"and she didnt show any sign of ailment whatsoever"

The baby even smiled hours prior to this sad occurence.
Re: She Switched Her A.c On Always.. by tunergy(m): 11:59am On May 13, 2015
Lagusta:
Sudden infant death syndrome..

AC is not good for children under five years old, cos it predisposes them to respiratory infections, especially pneumonia...

Fanning the poor baby would've sufficed...

The baby might have also aspirated some mucus that built up because of the cold....

Anyway, God knows

YOU ARE VERY ON POINT.
Babies body system is very different from ours, if any thing at all newly born babies need a lot of warmth for the first few weeks.
parents should learn to put their AC pumping/Oye tight lifestyle aside for a few weeks/months.

Sorry for your course mate's loss.
cry cry cry

1 Like

Re: She Switched Her A.c On Always.. by blank(f): 11:59am On May 13, 2015
Abeg, i dey put on my AC 24/7. My kids can't stand heat. Once it's hot, i get heat rash and so do they. However, i make sure their chests and feet are well covered.

The below could be a reason:

blank:
Try to avoid ur baby sleeping on his chest till he has learnt good head control and can remove his head if he is not getting enough air.

Google SIDS (Sudden Infant Death Syndrome).

Any thing could cause SIDS. We just need to monitor them properly.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: She Switched Her A.c On Always.. by Bestglo(f): 12:02pm On May 13, 2015
my little niece is less than a year old & she can't sleep without AC switched on.
She's been like that since she was 2 weeks old

Bottom line is, it might not be as a result of the AC

4 Likes

Re: She Switched Her A.c On Always.. by Nobody: 12:03pm On May 13, 2015
youngice:
no, i don't think so,provided the baby is well covered and the AC conditions the air well,it will even make the baby frsher 16 degrees is not so cold,after all, upon all the heater and everything the weather overseas is much colder
my condolences to the mother
fresher u say , just don't gve ur own new born baby pneumonia cause of ignorance, D baby's blood won't take long to clot
Re: She Switched Her A.c On Always.. by Nobody: 12:05pm On May 13, 2015
Bestglo:

my little niece is less than a year old & she can't sleep without AC switched on.
She's been like that since she was 2 weeks old

Bottom line is, it might not be as a result of the AC
d temperature might nt be too low Bro!!! I knw what am saying from experience, even as old as I am if d a. C is too low... I feel my
Discomfort, leading to headache nd so on
Re: She Switched Her A.c On Always.. by Kentrasso(f): 12:11pm On May 13, 2015
She should have been more careful. But I don't think the baby died of cold...babies are born in the polar regions

3 Likes

Re: She Switched Her A.c On Always.. by NaMe4: 12:12pm On May 13, 2015
I don't think the AC had anything to do with it.

Even if it had, there would have been symptoms/signs for a period of time.

True, Sudan Infant Death Syndrome and this most likely must have happened at night while the mum was asleep and baby was in the cot.

This has a lot to do with the position the baby is laid in the cot. Most likely, the baby was kept in a prone position (lying facing down) which would have a negative effect on baby's breathing movements (positional/restriction asphyxia) depriving the baby of sufficient air, thereby suffocating.

Her inexperience was also a factor that may have played a part.

Wish her the strength to bear this loss.

3 Likes

Re: She Switched Her A.c On Always.. by Nobody: 12:14pm On May 13, 2015
I'm guessing sudden death syndrome. Baby prolly suffocated or something. But the AC thing shouldn't be ruled out.
Re: She Switched Her A.c On Always.. by fairheven: 12:16pm On May 13, 2015
This no light syndrome has really affected our reasoning, wat do we now say of developed nations where the A/C is on virtually alday an all night,Dem pikin don freez to death Finnish?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: She Switched Her A.c On Always.. by andyanders: 12:17pm On May 13, 2015
The lady killed the baby.She intentionally killed the baby. How can a sane lady switch on an AC in her room having a new born baby? That is serious.
Re: She Switched Her A.c On Always.. by estheremma(f): 12:19pm On May 13, 2015
I use ac from d labour room till baby is born,i continue after delivery.my babies are grown n have never suffered for it.everytin in moderation sha.dat baby may have had jaundice,esp if it is a first baby.i pity d mom.its not easy to loose a child

1 Like

Re: She Switched Her A.c On Always.. by Nobody: 12:20pm On May 13, 2015
Of course,the AC could have. Babies need warmth- their little bodies are not big enough to regulate their body temperature and keep it at the normal of about 37 Celsius. That's why its always important to keep them wrapped up. The heat may make the child uncomfortable but the cold will kill him. Am sorry for her loss, but there should have been an older woman to guide her.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

FG To Ban Private Practice By Doctors In Public Service / How Pawpaw Can Cure Stomach Ulcer. / Nursing Mum Discovers Methylated Spirit In A Vitamins Syrup She Bought In Imo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.