Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,903 members, 7,802,929 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 03:47 AM

Detailed List Of Hausa Dialects And Places Spoken. - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Detailed List Of Hausa Dialects And Places Spoken. (25709 Views)

Ijaw Dialects And Where They Are Spoken / A List Of All Edo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. / A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Detailed List Of Hausa Dialects And Places Spoken. by Nowenuse: 1:05pm On May 13, 2015
1) Katsinanci-
spoken by natives of Katsina town/emirate (western/central parts of Katsina state) into Central parts of Zamfara state.

2) Dauranci -
spoken by natives of Daura town/emirate (northeastern/eastern parts of Katsina state)

3) Gudduranci (Katagumci) -
spoken by natives of Northern Bauchi zone (Katagum, Jama'are, Misau emirates)

4) Kananci -
Kano state dialect, also native to south/western parts of Jigawa state.
It is the most widely understood and spoken hausa dialect which serves as a central dialect, generally accepted as the official hausa dialect and lingua franca of all hausa native speakers and some 2nd language hausa (non-native) speakers.

5) Zazzaganci -
spoken by natives of Zaria town/emirate (northern half of Kaduna state).
This is the 2nd most widely spoken of the hausa dialects (very similar to Kano central dialect). It is the most spoken 2nd language hausa dialect in Nigeria as most of the non-native hausa speakers from the middlebelt & parts of the north-east speak it as a lingua franca.

6) Gobiranci/Arewanci -
Spoken by natives of Gobir town/emirate (northern parts of Sokoto state) also along the boundary into Niger republic.
It is the most similar hausa dialect to the hausa dialects of Niger republic.

7) Sakkwatanci -
Central/major dialect of Sokoto. Spoken by natives of Sokoto town, much of central & Southern Sokoto, western parts of Zamfara state and hausa natives of Kebbi state (Kebbi north).
It is the hausa dialect with the largest population of native speakers as much of Kano & Zaria speakers are non-natives to the dialect/subgroup.

cool Hadejanci -
Spoken by natives of Hadejia town and much of Eastern Jigawa state

9) Bausanchi -
Spoken by hausas in Bauchi town (southern Bauchi) and most hausanized minority groups of Bauchi south area

10) Khurwayanci, Damagaranci &
Aderanci. -
Hausa dialects mostly spoken by hausa speakers in Niger republic in Tillaberi, Tahoua, Dosso, Maradi, Agadez and Zinder regions with some immigrant speakers in Nigeria and extreme northern boundary hausa towns in Nigeria that share some boundary with Niger republic.

11) Ganaanci -
Spoken by native & non native hausa speakers in Ghana, Togo, Mali e.t.c

It must be noted that Hausa language has over the centuries become a widely used trade language in northern Nigeria and parts of the Middlebelt region of Nigeria, Niger republic, northern Ghana e.t.c and by so have developed many 2nd language speakers.

In Nigeria, hausa 2nd language/non-native/trade language speakers are found in Borno, Yobe, Adamawa, Plateau, Niger, Nasarawa, Taraba, Gombe, FCT, Southern half of Kaduna state, Southern 2/3 of Bauchi state and Southern 1/3 of Kebbi state.

The people of these places are not native hausa speakers and may be sometimes confused for native hausas by Southern Nigerians. However some of these northern minority groups are fastly loosing their own individual languages to hausas and this is strongly evident in Southern Bauchi areas, Northern Niger state e.t.c

The hausa dialect spoken by these millions of 2nd language hausa speakers is more of the Zaria dialect (Zazzaganci) & Kano dialect (Kananci).

Infact, the 2nd language hausa speakers in Nigeria (northern minorities) clearly outnumber the native hausa speakers.
This makes hausa the most spoken language in Nigeria.

20 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Detailed List Of Hausa Dialects And Places Spoken. by Hero10001: 1:07pm On May 13, 2015
Issokay.
Re: Detailed List Of Hausa Dialects And Places Spoken. by Elslim: 1:38pm On May 13, 2015
yauwa wanan haka yake

11 Likes

Re: Detailed List Of Hausa Dialects And Places Spoken. by faveniska: 4:12pm On May 13, 2015
wow, great and delailed list.
I lived with my Uncle in Hadejia (Jiagawa) in the past and later did my youth service in Sokoto. I noticed the great difference in d hausa dialects spoken in both towns even though i could only understand little of what they were saying
Sokoto dialect seems like the hardest dialect of hausa language.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Detailed List Of Hausa Dialects And Places Spoken. by Nowenuse: 4:32pm On May 13, 2015
faveniska:
wow, great and delailed list.
I lived with my Uncle in Hadejia (Jiagawa) in the past and later did my youth service in Sokoto. I noticed the great difference in d hausa dialects spoken in both towns even though i could only understand little of what they were saying
Sokoto dialect seems like the hardest dialect of hausa language.

Yes u are quite correct.
I myself am a 2nd language hausa speaker, i find it to understand n speak Zaria, Kano, Bauchi, Jigawa and most of the eastern hausa dialects but switching to Sokoto, Gobir or any other eastern hausa dialects is entirely something else.
Sokoto is not even the worst, i think Gobiranchi is one of the deepest hausa dialects in Nigeria, if they speak i can hardly understand most of what they say

2 Likes

Re: Detailed List Of Hausa Dialects And Places Spoken. by havennie(f): 4:38pm On May 13, 2015
Elslim:
yauwa wanan haka yake

Gaskia, haka yake
OP, yayi kokari sosai

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Detailed List Of Hausa Dialects And Places Spoken. by havennie(f): 4:44pm On May 13, 2015
Nowenuse:
1) Katsinanci-
spoken by natives of Katsina town/emirate (western/central parts of Katsina state) into Central parts of Zamfara state.
2) Dauranci -
spoken by natives of Daura town/emirate (northeastern/eastern parts of Katsina state)
3) Gudduranci (Katagumci) -
spoken by natives of Northern Bauchi zone (Katagum, Jama'are, Misau emirates)
4) Kananci -
Kano state dialect, also native to south/western parts of Jigawa state.
It is the most widely understood and spoken hausa dialect which serves as a central dialect, generally accepted as the official hausa dialect and lingua franca of all hausa native speakers and some 2nd language hausa (non-native) speakers.
5) Zazzaganci -
spoken by natives of Zaria town/emirate (northern half of Kaduna state).
This is the 2nd most widely spoken of the hausa dialects (very similar to Kano central dialect). It is the most spoken 2nd language hausa dialect in Nigeria as most of the non-native hausa speakers from the middlebelt & parts of the north-east speak it as a lingua franca.
6) Gobiranci/Arewanci -
Spoken by natives of Gobir town/emirate (northern parts of Sokoto state) also along the boundary into Niger republic.
It is the most similar hausa dialect to the hausa dialects of Niger republic.
7) Sakkwatanci -
Central/major dialect of Sokoto. Spoken by natives of Sokoto town, much of central & Southern Sokoto, western parts of Zamfara state and hausa natives of Kebbi state (Kebbi north).
It is the hausa dialect with the largest population of native speakers as much of Kano & Zaria speakers are non-natives to the dialect/subgroup.
cool Hadejanci -
Spoken by natives of Hadejia town and much of Eastern Jigawa state
9) Bausanchi -
Spoken by hausas in Bauchi town (southern Bauchi) and most hausanized minority groups of Bauchi south area
10) Khurwayanci, Damagaranci &
Aderanci. -
Hausa dialects mostly spoken by hausa speakers in Niger republic in Tillaberi, Tahoua, Dosso, Maradi, Agadez and Zinder regions with some immigrant speakers in Nigeria and extreme northern boundary hausa towns in Nigeria that share some boundary with Niger republic.
11) Ganaanci -
Spoken by native & non native hausa speakers in Ghana, Togo, Mali e.t.c
It must be noted that Hausa language has over the centuries become a widely used trade language in northern Nigeria and parts of the Middlebelt region of Nigeria, Niger republic, northern Ghana e.t.c and by so have developed many 2nd language speakers.
In Nigeria, hausa 2nd language/non-native/trade language speakers are found in Borno, Yobe, Adamawa, Plateau, Niger, Nasarawa, Taraba, Gombe, FCT, Southern half of Kaduna state, Southern 2/3 of Bauchi state and Southern 1/3 of Kebbi state.
The people of these places are not native hausa speakers and may be sometimes confused for native hausas by Southern Nigerians. However some of these northern minority groups are fastly loosing their own individual languages to hausas and this is strongly evident in Southern Bauchi areas, Northern Niger state e.t.c
The hausa dialect spoken by these millions of 2nd language hausa speakers is more of the Zaria dialect (Zazzaganci) & Kano dialect (Kananci).
Infact, the 2nd language hausa speakers in Nigeria (northern minorities) clearly outnumber the native hausa speakers.
This makes hausa the most spoken language in Nigeria.

Nice work @ OP
Very informative thread,
The last thread on hausa dialects here was not an informative list and typically lacks validity and truthfulness.

The mods should try to move this thread to FP cos i observed that most southernerns cannot differentiate properly between 1st language hausa speakers and 2nd language hausa speakers.

2 Likes

Re: Detailed List Of Hausa Dialects And Places Spoken. by DickDastardly(m): 7:18pm On May 13, 2015
sad
Re: Detailed List Of Hausa Dialects And Places Spoken. by tucky200(m): 7:20pm On May 13, 2015
Beri beri proud to be an hausa/fulani man grin

2 Likes

Re: Detailed List Of Hausa Dialects And Places Spoken. by Gombs(m): 7:20pm On May 13, 2015
Ain't Nigeria blessed?

But ... grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Detailed List Of Hausa Dialects And Places Spoken. by Nobody: 7:21pm On May 13, 2015
Gombs:
Ain't Nigeria blessed?

No

-CramJones
Re: Detailed List Of Hausa Dialects And Places Spoken. by efilefun(m): 7:21pm On May 13, 2015
Wow nice one but must everything end with "anci" Please any hausa in the building should tell us the meaning of "anci"
Re: Detailed List Of Hausa Dialects And Places Spoken. by OkikiOluwa1(m): 7:21pm On May 13, 2015
Ok
Re: Detailed List Of Hausa Dialects And Places Spoken. by 1stola: 7:22pm On May 13, 2015
My space is here.
Haters keep off!!!
Re: Detailed List Of Hausa Dialects And Places Spoken. by Abayhormy(m): 7:22pm On May 13, 2015
So I hope people that don't know the north and just categorize all northerners to be hausa can read this write up carefully. The real hausa states are not that much. The likes of benue, taraba, nassarawa, pleatue, Niger, borno and others are not indigenous hausa,infact these states has a lot of Christians and non-hausas than you can imagine.

4 Likes

Re: Detailed List Of Hausa Dialects And Places Spoken. by Gombs(m): 7:22pm On May 13, 2015
cramjones:

No

It was a rhetorical question. tongue
Re: Detailed List Of Hausa Dialects And Places Spoken. by Gombs(m): 7:24pm On May 13, 2015
havennie:

Gaskia, haka yake
OP, yayi kokari sosai

Kwarai kwa. Ni na zauna shekaru shida a Gombe, na yi Zaman yola, Bauchi,... Hausawa mutanen masu hankali, aman adinnin ya sa waddan su hauka.

Proudly Igbo sha. cool

6 Likes

Re: Detailed List Of Hausa Dialects And Places Spoken. by Minet16(m): 7:26pm On May 13, 2015
END TIME THINGS
grin cool

1 Like

Re: Detailed List Of Hausa Dialects And Places Spoken. by skubido(m): 7:26pm On May 13, 2015
ok
Re: Detailed List Of Hausa Dialects And Places Spoken. by AnanseK(m): 7:28pm On May 13, 2015
efilefun:
Wow nice one but must everything end with "anci" Please any hausa in the building should tell us the meaning of "anci"

Ba ma son iskanci

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Detailed List Of Hausa Dialects And Places Spoken. by 1stola: 7:29pm On May 13, 2015
cramjones:

No Nigeria is not blessed based on languages. Language was created to cause division and confusion when man wanted to be like God by building the tower in the babel. Tribe has divided Nigeria for so long that we can't build our own "tower of babel."

-CramJones
Storey story.
Yeye myth.

2 Likes

Re: Detailed List Of Hausa Dialects And Places Spoken. by godoluwa(m): 7:30pm On May 13, 2015
Gombs:
Ain't Nigeria blessed?

But ... grin grin grin
LWKMDROTFL. walahi, I neva believe sey hausa too dey use internet until i dey see comments on dis thread in hausa. I know sey hausa & transistor radio na 5 & 6 bt i neva knw sey dem dey use internet as well

1 Like

Re: Detailed List Of Hausa Dialects And Places Spoken. by mmmustapha(m): 7:32pm On May 13, 2015
op kayi kokari, saura ka bada sunayen kasashen Africa dake jin hausa

3 Likes

Re: Detailed List Of Hausa Dialects And Places Spoken. by EPHYMANAS: 7:34pm On May 13, 2015
havennie:

Gaskia, haka yake
OP, yayi kokari sosai
[color=#990000][/color]. Gaskiyarka dan uwana
Re: Detailed List Of Hausa Dialects And Places Spoken. by coldgate(f): 7:46pm On May 13, 2015
OP: Allah ya ja zamanin ka. Ka kyauta.

2 Likes

Re: Detailed List Of Hausa Dialects And Places Spoken. by BUSHHUNTER: 7:57pm On May 13, 2015
kane na napto Kai ba ne base shi ba....nazo daga kano
Re: Detailed List Of Hausa Dialects And Places Spoken. by Nobody: 7:58pm On May 13, 2015
Nchi everywhere grin

Well, it's still better than the mgbati-mgbati ones sad

2 Likes

Re: Detailed List Of Hausa Dialects And Places Spoken. by Aleeyouchalawa(m): 8:04pm On May 13, 2015
Ahhh ashe dai akwai hausawa dayawa a naira land amma in ana zagin mu baku cewa komai cry

3 Likes

Re: Detailed List Of Hausa Dialects And Places Spoken. by Smurfette(f): 8:06pm On May 13, 2015
Gombs:

Kwarai kwa. Ni na zauna shekaru shida a Gombe, na yi Zaman yola, Bauchi,... Hausawa mutanen masu hankali, aman adinnin ya sa waddan su hauka.
Proudly Igbo sha. cool
Chap waye ne ya koya maka hausa haka, gaskiya na chire maka hula, na yi zaman, sokoto da zamfara, da nasarawa da plateau.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Detailed List Of Hausa Dialects And Places Spoken. by BrightEye(m): 8:07pm On May 13, 2015
Gombs:

Proudly Igbo sha. cool

gaskiya ce. Nima na yarda da cewa hausawa mutanen gaskiya da imani ce, amma addini ce'a masalan su.

Yoruba for sure.

1 Like

Re: Detailed List Of Hausa Dialects And Places Spoken. by Aleeyouchalawa(m): 8:08pm On May 13, 2015
Smurfette:
Chap waye ne ya koya maka hausa haka, gaskiya na chire maka hula, na yi zaman, sokoto da zamfara, da nasarawa da plateau.
kaje ko ina bakazo kebbi ba cry

1 Like

Re: Detailed List Of Hausa Dialects And Places Spoken. by Smurfette(f): 8:08pm On May 13, 2015
BrightEye:

gaskiya ce. Nima na yarda da cewa hausawa mutanen gaskiya da imani ce, amma addini ce'a masalan su.

Yoruba for sure.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Ooni Ogunwusi Described As Re-incarnate Of Oduduwa (photos) / Olori Badirat Olaitan Adeyemi's Twins (Alaafin Of Oyo's Twins) / Somali And Korean Wedding! (korean Dude And Somali Princess)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.