Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,587 members, 7,809,127 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:21 AM

Benin Indigenes Rejects New Igbo Vc In Uniben. - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Benin Indigenes Rejects New Igbo Vc In Uniben. (17748 Views)

Buhari Rejects New CSO By DSS / Revealed: G7 Govs Can’t Leave Pdp Apc Rejects New Pdp Condition For Alliance / TUC Rejects New Electricity Tariffs ! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Benin Indigenes Rejects New Igbo Vc In Uniben. by osisi2(f): 12:50am On Feb 11, 2009
Aloy.Emeka:

UNN is located in Enugu state and the university is yet to have an Nsukka indigene as it's VC. I am not sure they have an Enugu indigene as a VC before. Never.

Thank you.
The guy was talking nonsense.
UNN to the best of my knowledge has never had an Enugu state or Nsukka man as VC.
Neither has FUTO in Owerri had an Owerri VC to the best of my knowledge.
Re: Benin Indigenes Rejects New Igbo Vc In Uniben. by Baro(m): 12:51am On Feb 11, 2009
debosky:

That is a redundant argument. Why must they have an 'indigene' as VC before they are satisfied? Nigerians are very silly when it comes to some of these matters. Executive power is NOT what all the focus should be about.

Universities should be meritocracies - if an indigene is the best qualified, by all means appoint the indigene, but DON'T appoint an indigene simply because of national character - we have enough of that destroying other institutions in the country.

That response was to Finally's post, don't detach my post for convenience.

Talking about qualification, we have hundreds of Profs of Bini origin who are more than qualified to be V.C, anywhere in the world. FYI. More than a decade ago Prof. Emovon (Bini) who later became Minister of Science and Technology was already Vice Chancellor of University of Jos,
Re: Benin Indigenes Rejects New Igbo Vc In Uniben. by osisi2(f): 12:56am On Feb 11, 2009
okunoba:

dear finally,
was Umaru replaced by another northerner? Did Benin people complain about the previous Ibo VC? No. They are complaining now because another Ibo as been appointed by a fellow Ibo. If a Yoruba education minister replaced a Yoruba VC of Nsuka univ with another Yoruba man, as a Yoruba man who is free of ethnic sentiments, I would definitely question the decision, unless i believed in Yoruba supremacy.

do you realise the woman is married to someone from that area?
Do you also realize she'd been a deputy VC in that same institution for years?
Is it uncommon for a DVC to become an acting VC ?
Then why is her case a special one?
Is she good enough for VC and not good enough for DVC?
Obviously she's the most qualified there regardless of tribe,you folks should suck it up!

I hope they don't hire Bini area boys or use Ekosodin juju to do away with the poor woman with this una mentality
Re: Benin Indigenes Rejects New Igbo Vc In Uniben. by osisi2(f): 12:59am On Feb 11, 2009
Baro:

Talking about qualification, we have hundreds of Profs of Bini origin who are more than qualified to be V.C, anywhere in the world. FYI. More than a decade ago Prof. Emovon (Bini) who later became Minister of Science and Technology was already Vice Chancellor of University of Jos,

Nonsense!
They're qualified because you say so or because they're Bini.
People have consistently told you she's an acting VC,was already a DVC and the fed minister appoints the ultimate VC
Must the VC come from new Bini market?
Go there and start your campaign
Oh so Emovon was in Jos and yet you folks are crying about a woman who has spent most of her academic career there being a VC?
Re: Benin Indigenes Rejects New Igbo Vc In Uniben. by Finally: 1:01am On Feb 11, 2009
Baro:

Talking about qualification, we have hundreds of Profs of Bini origin who are more than qualified to be V.C, anywhere in the world.  FYI.  More than a decade ago Prof. Emovon (Bini) who later became Minister of Science and Technology was already Vice Chancellor of University of Jos,

And the people of Jos started making faces and funny comments, abi?

**osisi:

Do you also realize she'd been a deputy VC in that same institution for years?
Is it uncommon for a DVC to become an acting VC ?
Then why is her case a special one?

Baro would not see that. He is only seeing that the woman is not Bini. Pathetic!!!!

**osisi:

do you realise the woman is married to someone from that area?

That should not even have any bearing on the appointment. If it did, then I am screaming WOLF!!!!

I dont care if the lady was/is married to one Mallam Amadu Gambari, if she deserves the position , let her have it.
Re: Benin Indigenes Rejects New Igbo Vc In Uniben. by AloyEmeka9: 1:02am On Feb 11, 2009
dear finally,
was Umaru  replaced by another northerner? Did Benin people complain about the previous Ibo VC? No. They are complaining now because another Ibo as been appointed by a fellow Ibo. If a Yoruba education minister replaced a Yoruba VC of Nsuka univ with another Yoruba man, as a Yoruba man who is  free of ethnic sentiments, I would definitely question the decision, unless i believed in Yoruba supremacy.
So na replacement we dey argue now?. What are the rules and regulation for replacing a VC?. Did the minister follow the rule of law or the rule of his tribe?
Re: Benin Indigenes Rejects New Igbo Vc In Uniben. by AloyEmeka9: 1:03am On Feb 11, 2009
That should not even have any bearing on the appointment. If it did, then I am screaming WOLF!!!!

I dont care if the lady was/is married to one Mallam Amadu Gambari, if she deserves the position , let her have it.
Good. Who cares whether she is married to Obama.
Re: Benin Indigenes Rejects New Igbo Vc In Uniben. by Baro(m): 1:05am On Feb 11, 2009
Finally:

As long as the VC elect is the best qualified to handle the job at that time in question, who gives a shit where he/she is from.

U guys should start saying something that makes sense and quit making circular arguments.

I have told Baro and I am telling U this too, challenge the lady's competence and not her ethnicity. If there is a reason(s) to believe that other VC hopefuls were more competent and qualified than she is , lets hear it. If not , hold ur peace.

Before Prof Mrs Gbenedio was appointed V.C, she was D.V.C Administration, according to university hierarchy the position of D.V.C Academics which was occupied by ;Prof. Obaseki(Bini) is the most senior of the D.V.C's ,he is next to the V.C. . . . . . What does that tell you? On merit, Prof Obaseki deserves the "V.Cship" position more than anyone, including Prof Gbenedio
Re: Benin Indigenes Rejects New Igbo Vc In Uniben. by osisi2(f): 1:07am On Feb 11, 2009
The current DVC (don't remember if it's academic or admin) of University of Uyo is an Igbo man and akwaibomites are not up in arms.
Those Bini whiners should be happy to get a dedicated educator lead the place.
Someone said earlier that the school improved greatly in all facets after Nwanze the ougoing VC,shouldn't a competent hand be the best qualifying factor.
Re: Benin Indigenes Rejects New Igbo Vc In Uniben. by osisi2(f): 1:08am On Feb 11, 2009
Baro:

Before Prof Mrs Gbenedio was appointed V.C, she was D.V.C Administration, according to university hierarchy the position of D.V.C Academics which was occupied by ;Prof. Obaseki(Bini) is the most senior of the D.V.C's ,he is next to the V.C. . . . . . What does that tell you? On merit, Prof Obaseki deserves the "V.Cship" position more than anyone, including Prof Gbenedio

source?
Re: Benin Indigenes Rejects New Igbo Vc In Uniben. by osisi2(f): 1:12am On Feb 11, 2009
Yar’Adua approves appointment of acting VC for UNIBEN
From TONY OSAUZO, Benin
Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Yar’Adua
Photo: Sun News Publishing

More Stories on This Section
President Umaru Yar’Adua has approved the appointment of an acting Vice-Chancellor for the University of Benin, in the person of Professor (Mrs) Uche Gbenedion, Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Administration).

Daily Sun learnt that the Minister of Education, Dr. Sam Egwu, conveyed the Federal Government’s decision through a letter last week to the out-going Vice-Chancellor, Prof. Emmanuel Nwanze, who is vacating office on February 9, 2009, when his five-year tenure expires.

The letter said President Yar’Adua directed the out-going Vice-Chancellor to hand-over the affairs of the university, latest by Monday next week, to Prof. Gbenedion pending the inauguration of a Governing Council that would mid-wife the selection of a substantive Vice-Chancellor.

Born 58 years ago, Professor Gbenedion was appointed Deputy Vice-Chancellor, (Administration) in August 2006 after returning from a secondment to the Benson Idahosa University, Benin as its pioneer Vice-Chancellor.
The acting Vice-Chancellor is a Professor of Language Education, former Director of the Institute of Education, University of Benin, Consultant to UNESCO, UNICEF, SPDC amongst others.
Re: Benin Indigenes Rejects New Igbo Vc In Uniben. by osisi2(f): 1:14am On Feb 11, 2009
The woman has even been a VC before and these folks are crying like babies?
Why didn't the Obaseki go to the Benson Idahosa University as it's premier VC if he was such a senior?
Re: Benin Indigenes Rejects New Igbo Vc In Uniben. by AloyEmeka9: 1:15am On Feb 11, 2009
Nigeria no get head sha. A whole president is whiling away time in the appointment of a VC. What are the education ministries for?
Re: Benin Indigenes Rejects New Igbo Vc In Uniben. by Finally: 1:15am On Feb 11, 2009
Baro:

Before Prof Mrs Gbenedio was appointed V.C, she was D.V.C Administration, according to university hierarchy the position of D.V.C Academics which was occupied by ;Prof. Obaseki(Bini) is the most senior of the D.V.C's ,he is next to the V.C. . .  .  .  . What does that tell you? On merit, Prof Obaseki deserves the "V.Cship" position more than anyone, including Prof Gbenedio

My friend,  a VC can be appointed from any rank of the DVC's . There is no hierarchy as U are purporting.  

ASUU, Uniben chapter even admitted as much,,,,,,

But ASUU, UNIBEN, even though admitted that an acting vice chancellor could be appointed from the ranks of deputy vice chancellors, said the appointment of Gbenedion did not follow due process since the tenure of Gbenedion as a substantive deputy vice chancellor expired on Monday 4, August 2008.

ASUU, Uniben chapter were complaining about due process but they are still to let us know what they mean by that.
Re: Benin Indigenes Rejects New Igbo Vc In Uniben. by Baro(m): 1:19am On Feb 11, 2009
**osisi:

Thank you.
The guy was talking nonsense.
UNN to the best of my knowledge has never had an Enugu state or Nsukka man as VC.
Neither has FUTO in Owerri had an Owerri VC to the best of my knowledge.

Those institutions you said are located in the east; igboland so to speak, and they have obviously had numerous Igbos as Vice Chancellors, be it Nsukka or Nnewi. . . . But imagine a situation where all the V.C's of FUTO or UNN are from the West and the North, when you know there are alot of Igbo's qualified for same position? thats the Uniben situation.
Re: Benin Indigenes Rejects New Igbo Vc In Uniben. by zaragoza(m): 1:20am On Feb 11, 2009
I dont understand what all these is all about. Its clearly stated that d DVC admin is next in command after d VC. The VC didnt appoint but rather, the law took its course.
Re: Benin Indigenes Rejects New Igbo Vc In Uniben. by comfort3: 1:21am On Feb 11, 2009
closed thread, whining about nothing.
Re: Benin Indigenes Rejects New Igbo Vc In Uniben. by okunoba(m): 1:25am On Feb 11, 2009
best qualified is subjective, it`s not like 2+2= 4
Appointments are determined in Nigeria based on ethnic affiliation not who is best qualified,  the uni Ben situation is a perfect example. An Ibo is appointed by an Ibo education minister to replace the outgoing Ibo VC of Uni Ben.
Re: Benin Indigenes Rejects New Igbo Vc In Uniben. by Finally: 1:26am On Feb 11, 2009
Baro:

Those institutions you  said are located in the east; igboland so to speak, and they have obviously had numerous Igbos as Vice Chancellors, be it Nsukka or Nnewi.  . . . But imagine a situation where all the V.C's of FUTO or UNN are from the West and the North, when you know there are  alot of  Igbo's qualified for same position?   thats the Uniben situation.

The same sentimental tantrum.

U guys shoulda complained earlier when the woman was busy working her way up the academic rank.

Student Union Govt, Uniben chapter welcomed it.

The Univeristy of Benin management embraced it.

However, some group by the name Concerned Edo citizens are threatening fire and brimstone. These guys are jokers. If they have nothing better to be concerned about, I will show them some. Lagos/Benin express way might be a good place to start. Buncha twats!!!  angry
Re: Benin Indigenes Rejects New Igbo Vc In Uniben. by Baro(m): 1:30am On Feb 11, 2009
**osisi:

The woman has even been a VC before and these folks are crying like babies?
Why didn't the Obaseki go to the Benson Idahosa University as it's premier VC if he was such a senior?

In 2003 Prof Eghosa was a former Vice Chancellor Of Igbinedion University, but Prof. Nwanze got the job, so i dont think that's relevant
Re: Benin Indigenes Rejects New Igbo Vc In Uniben. by AloyEmeka9: 1:30am On Feb 11, 2009

Those institutions you  said are located in the east; igboland so to speak, and they have obviously had numerous Igbos as Vice Chancellors, be it Nsukka or Nnewi.  . . . But imagine a situation where all the V.C's of FUTO or UNN are from the West and the North, when you know there are  alot of  Igbo's qualified for same position?  thats the Uniben situation.
You already cited an ishan, Itsekiri, Urhobo VC in the same university. What else do you want? A VC whose hometown is just  10 yards  from the university?  cool cool cool
Re: Benin Indigenes Rejects New Igbo Vc In Uniben. by tpia: 1:35am On Feb 11, 2009
Re: Benin Indigenes Rejects New Igbo Vc In Uniben. by Baro(m): 1:38am On Feb 11, 2009
Aloy.Emeka:

You already cited an ishan, Itsekiri, Urhobo VC in the same university. What else do you want? A VC whose hometown is just 10 yards from the university? cool cool cool

A Vice Chancellor from the ethnic group that hosts the University, as simple as that
Re: Benin Indigenes Rejects New Igbo Vc In Uniben. by Finally: 1:40am On Feb 11, 2009
Baro:

A Vice Chancellor from the ethnic group that hosts the University, as simple as that

lol @ Baro grin

Okay, Baro is now the VC . Happy?
Re: Benin Indigenes Rejects New Igbo Vc In Uniben. by MaiSuya(m): 1:41am On Feb 11, 2009
Baro:

In 2003 Prof Eghosa was a former Vice Chancellor Of Igbinedion University, but Prof. Nwanze got the job, so i dont think that's relevant

In all fairness to Nwanze, he clearly merited the appoinment at that time, not Egosa. It was the annoyance of not being made the VC of uniben that made him leave for Igbinedion.

BTW, I just realized that this lady is ACTING, which means the substantive VC who will head the institution for the next 4 or 5yrs is yet to be appointed. So Mr Baro, cheer up, who knows whether pressure the Edo group is mounting will eventually lead to . . .  lipsrsealed
Re: Benin Indigenes Rejects New Igbo Vc In Uniben. by Finally: 1:42am On Feb 11, 2009
tpia:

Its just a lot of ado about nothing anyway. The woman is the acting VC, not the permanent one.

So there's still time to field other candidates.

U hear that, Baro

More time for U to campaign for ur man, Prof Obesere. Personally, I dont give a rats ass who becomes the VC as long as the appointment is devoid of any ethnic coloration and based purely on merit.
Re: Benin Indigenes Rejects New Igbo Vc In Uniben. by tpia: 1:43am On Feb 11, 2009
Re: Benin Indigenes Rejects New Igbo Vc In Uniben. by Baro(m): 1:46am On Feb 11, 2009
tpia:

Its just a lot of ado about nothing anyway. The woman is the acting VC, not the permanent one.

So there's still time to field other candidates.

Yep, thats true, but this is kinda sending a warning signal to the powers that be, so they dont go the " Gbenedio" way when that time comes
Re: Benin Indigenes Rejects New Igbo Vc In Uniben. by Baro(m): 2:04am On Feb 11, 2009
I know this is not directly the subject of this thread, but i feel very pressed to challenge those commending Nwanze to list his achievements, both infrastructural, and otherwise.
Re: Benin Indigenes Rejects New Igbo Vc In Uniben. by osisi2(f): 2:17am On Feb 11, 2009
Baro:

I know this is not directly the subject of this thread, but i feel very pressed to challenge those commending Nwanze to list his achievements, both infrastructural, and otherwise.

Obaseki was his DVC if Nwanze failed,Obaseki also failed.

Keep crying,the woman is only acting.
The real VC may actually come from Sokoto state[b] Professor Mallam Alhaji Maisuya Dan al Shaytani [/b] and life will go on grin
Re: Benin Indigenes Rejects New Igbo Vc In Uniben. by MaiSuya(m): 2:25am On Feb 11, 2009
Baro:

Well, except the beautified entrance gate - if you can call that infrastructure - I'm not sure of what major infrastructural developments he brought to the school.

As far as I'm concerned, his major achievement was the stability he brought the academic calender. Quite unlike his predecessor(Anao) who had an annoying penchant for shutting down the institution at the slightest unrest, sometimes for months, Nwanze seemed quite reluctant to do that, and was more committed to following the academic calender so that each session could be completed on shedule.

@Osisi, Gbenedio was also DVC then, so I suppose it means they all failed as a team, abi?
Re: Benin Indigenes Rejects New Igbo Vc In Uniben. by Baro(m): 2:27am On Feb 11, 2009
**osisi:

Obaseki was his DVC if Nwanze failed,Obaseki also failed.

Keep crying,the woman is only acting.
The real VC may actually come from Sokoto state[b] Professor Mallam Alhaji Maisuya Dan al Shaytani [/b] and life will go on grin

Gbenedion failed too

This is the worst they can do, the Binis are ready for them this time

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

It Would Be Disservice To Nigerians For Me To Resign – Jega / Buhari Appoints Ronke Shokefun From Ogun State As Chairman Board Of NDIC / Edo Primaries: Fayemi Commends Tinubu, Ganduje, Slams Oshiomhole

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.