Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,991 members, 7,799,414 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 08:43 PM

What Is "The Law Of The Spirit Of Life In Christ Jesus" ? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Is "The Law Of The Spirit Of Life In Christ Jesus" ? (3698 Views)

The Truth About Christ Jesus {peace Be Unto Him) / God Delivered My Sister From The Spirit Of Insanity: My Testimony / Ever Happened To You? (Weird Coincidences, Synchronicity, Law Of Attraction). (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is "The Law Of The Spirit Of Life In Christ Jesus" ? by Gombs(m): 6:58pm On May 13, 2015
For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death (Romans 8:2).

It’s important to understand what Paul was talking about in our opening verse; his reference to the law of the Spirit of life, and the law of sin and death.

The law of sin and death refers to the Old Testament Law, which brought condemnation. That law condemned the Jews and the Gentiles. It was given to the Jews, but they couldn’t keep it, and so they were condemned. The Gentiles, on the other hand, were the heathen, estranged from God; the Law wasn’t given to them: “That at that time ye were without Christ, being aliens from the commonwealth of Israel, and strangers from the covenants of promise, having no hope, and without God in the world” (Ephesians 2:12). The very fact that the Law wasn’t given to them was their condemnation.

Now, when God gave the Law to the Jews in the Old Testament, it was to guide them, because they were sense-ruled. However, the Law couldn’t produce life. But in the New Testament, everyone who has received Christ has eternal life. 1 John 5:13 says, “These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life….”

There’s a law at work in those who have that life; it’s called the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus. This law is superior to the law of sin and death, because it breaks the Jew free from the Law of Moses that condemns. Then, the Gentile, who was condemned by his estrangement from God, is reconciled with the principle of life working in him, upon receiving Christ.

Now that you’re born again, the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has made you free from the law of sin and death. Live free. Live triumphantly every day. Refuse to allow anything or anyone condemn you; you’ve passed from death into life! You’re in the kingdom of life. Glory to God!

5 Likes

Re: What Is "The Law Of The Spirit Of Life In Christ Jesus" ? by channelz: 8:10pm On May 13, 2015
Could you throw more light on this law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus? So that it's not interpreted as the law of lawlessness. What really is the outworking of this law?
Re: What Is "The Law Of The Spirit Of Life In Christ Jesus" ? by Gombs(m): 9:54pm On May 13, 2015
channelz:
Could you throw more light on this law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus? So that it's not interpreted as the law of lawlessness.

Your question is answered in the OP,

There’s a law at work in those who have that life (eternal life, being born again) ; it’s called the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus.

What really is the outworking of this law?

This law is superior to the law of sin and death, because it breaks the Jew free from the Law of Moses that condemns. Then, the Gentile, who was condemned by his estrangement from God, is reconciled with the principle of life working in him, upon receiving Christ.

Simple cool
Re: What Is "The Law Of The Spirit Of Life In Christ Jesus" ? by channelz: 10:39pm On May 13, 2015
Gombs:

Your question is answered in the OP,

What really is the outworking of this law?

Simple cool
Nice specs.
I dig; "The principle of life working in him, upon receiving Christ."

By principle do you mean a standard especially of good behaviour working within him, upon receiving Christ?

In other words, the Law is thereby written in his "heart" not carved in "stone" for the reference of unthinking minds?
Re: What Is "The Law Of The Spirit Of Life In Christ Jesus" ? by Gombs(m): 6:32am On May 14, 2015
[quote author=channelz post=33713675]
Nice specs.
I dig; "The principle of life working in him, upon receiving Christ."

By principle do you mean a standard especially of good behaviour working within him, upon receiving Christ?

That principle is simply the God kind of life and all it entails. It means all that's God's by Jesus is 'installed' in him the moment he accepted Christ as Lord and Savior.

It's not a standard of good behaviour, it's God's righteousness at work in that individual by the Holy Spirit.

In other words, the Law is thereby written in his "heart" not carved in "stone" for the reference of unthinking minds?

In other words, you are no longer subjected to the world and her elements. That law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has made you free from guilt and condemnation, making you sit together with Christ far above All principalities and powers, not only in this world but in that to come. Hallelujah!
Re: What Is "The Law Of The Spirit Of Life In Christ Jesus" ? by channelz: 11:30am On May 14, 2015
Gombs:
It's not a standard of good behaviour, it's God's righteousness at work in that individual by the Holy Spirit.
Hallowed be the Name of God. @bold, So that it doesn't look like a besmirching of the Godhead, I hope you are not implying that what we see from the "born-agains" can be attributed to the outworking of God through the Holy Spirit?

I think I should create a detailed thread to address this general doctrine, then I'll mention you to know what your take is concerning my observation.
Re: What Is "The Law Of The Spirit Of Life In Christ Jesus" ? by Gombs(m): 2:18pm On May 14, 2015
channelz:
Hallowed be the Name of God. @bold, So that it doesn't look like a besmirching of the Godhead, I hope you are not implying that what we see from the "born-agains" can be attributed to the outworking of God through the Holy Spirit?

I think I should create a detailed thread to address this general doctrine, then I'll mention you to know what your take is concerning my observation. cool

cool
Re: What Is "The Law Of The Spirit Of Life In Christ Jesus" ? by channelz: 6:37pm On May 17, 2015
Gombs:

cool
Christ Did Not Abolish the Law Itself!

The need for us to meet the outward Ceremonial laws (laws for righteousness) which formed the barrier between Jews and Gentiles was abolished; the Law itself was not abolished, but fulfilled.

The Ceremonial Law for Outward Righteousness:
The Ten Commandments was simple and general but along the line, religious fanatics and bigots falsely represented the Law to bring about separation between the Jews and the "Gentiles":
Before Christ, those groups could not eat together because of restricted foods, required washings, and ceremonial contamination, they could not worship together etc.

Such misrepresentation of the Law made room for and fostered hypocrisy (obedience wasn't heartfelt, no true love of God just blind obedience). How: To pass off as righteous ("Righteousness of the Pharisee" ) in the eyes of men, you'd only need to obey certain set of rules (Eye service)...
Let me illustrate:
If you are not SEEN committing adultery, then heaven is sure.
Here's Christ's response to that Law:
Matthew 5:27 Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not commit adultery:

5:28 But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart
Also concerning what and how you eat:
Matthew 15:17 Do not ye yet understand, that whatsoever entereth in at the mouth goeth into the belly, and is cast out into the draught?

15:18 But those things which proceed out of the mouth come forth from the heart; and they defile the man.

15:19 For out of the heart proceed evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, blasphemies:

15:20 These are the things which defile a man: but to eat with unwashen hands defileth not a man.
Observe the emphasis on the "HEART" as He raised the standards-

Jesus' teachings on the Law focused on inward obedience, or obedience of the heart, rather than outward, legalistic obedience.

People might think that the Law itself has been abolished; His moral Law reflects His own Holy nature and therefore can never change.
That is the Law which for the Jews was summarized in the Ten Commandments and which for all men is written on their hearts (Rom. 2:15) and still commanded of them.

In essence, Christ did not come to destroy, but to fulfil—Not to subvert, abrogate, or annul, but to establish the Law and the Prophets- to unfold them, to embody them in living form, and to enshrine them in the reverence, affection, and character of men.

In conclusion:
Do we, then, nullify the Law by this faith? Not at all! Rather, we uphold the Law.- Romans 3:31
Re: What Is "The Law Of The Spirit Of Life In Christ Jesus" ? by channelz: 6:45pm On May 17, 2015
What do you think @Gombs?
Re: What Is "The Law Of The Spirit Of Life In Christ Jesus" ? by Gombs(m): 9:30pm On May 17, 2015
channelz:
What do you think @Gombs?

You're way off topic. Open a new thread. Thanks
Re: What Is "The Law Of The Spirit Of Life In Christ Jesus" ? by channelz: 9:39pm On May 17, 2015
Gombs:

Thanks
You're welcome... anytime.

(1) (Reply)

I Think Atheists On NL Should Be Concerned About Richard Dawking's Retweet / Notable Lies Told By The Bible And Christians.. / to the haters of islam I will just keep smilin @ you from now till the last hour

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.