Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,334 members, 7,808,185 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:15 AM

Dear Jay Z, Here Are 7 Talented Nigerians That Should Be “discovered” - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Dear Jay Z, Here Are 7 Talented Nigerians That Should Be “discovered” (36708 Views)

P-square Releases 'Bank Alert' Gospel Version With Gee Jay / Nigerians That Have Been Ranked On Billboard Charts. / COMPREHENSIVE LIST: All Wizkid Songs A - Z In His Music Career (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Dear Jay Z, Here Are 7 Talented Nigerians That Should Be “discovered” by Ishilove: 11:47am On May 14, 2015
Was anyone here really surprised that Nigeria was Tidal’s first stop on its journey to being identified as a “global company”? Well, I certainly wasn’t. Anyone who has been paying any attention on social media knows that Nigerian publicity is good publicity.

So since Jay Z claims he sent a representative to “discover new talent,” I’d totally hate if he goes for an already established name like ‘Iceprince’ and then go ahead to dub him a “new talent.”

Anyway, I took the liberty of coming up with 7 artistes that deserve to be “discovered.” Don’t get me wrong, a couple of them aren’t necessarily new, unknown or even upcoming, but I do feel they are all immensely talented, sadly underrated, and would certainly benefit from some extra exposure.

BRYMO

Brymo is easily at the top of this list, and deservedly so. I consider him a blessing to our music industry and he would benefit greatly from some international exposure. Brymo’s last studio album ‘Tabula Rasa’ isn’t only the best Nigerian album of 2014, but one of the best albums I’ve ever had the pleasure of listening to. He is a real Juggernaut, and Jay Z would be lucky to have him.

Standout Track: Je’le O Sinmi

SIMI

Simi is seriously one of our most versatile songstresses. Her vocal prowess is no joke, and she manages to masterfully blend Pop and Soul while never ever abandoning her Nigerian roots. She is definitely going places, “discovered” or not, but I’d much rather have Jay Z sweep her away before we get a chance to push her into shameless commerciality (like we did Praiz). I mean, I can already see it now ‘Beyoncé – [insert feminist title] Ft. Simi.’

Standout Track: Tiff

LINDSEY

In an industry where everyone is dizzyingly similar, Lindsey is a serious breath of fresh air. This amazing singer, songwriter and guitarist is in my opinion, the future of Nigerian Soul music. A Project Fame West Africa alumni, Lindsey won me (and a lot of people) over with her stellar vocal work on ‘Jehovah’ with M.I off the ‘Talk about It’ album. Trust me, if anyone deserves to be talked about, it’s her.

Standout Track: Taxi

BOOGEY

OMG guys, a Nigerian rapper who can actually rap. Boogey has a lyrical dexterity unlike any Nigerian rapper I’ve ever heard. This guy is criminally underrated, and this needs to change ASAP. I mean, the dude legit murdered M.I on “Ridiculous” off “Illegal Music 2, delivering the most memorable verse on an already very memorable album. How many more accomplished verses does this dude need to drop before he is given a proper shot?

Standout Track: Sanctum

BLACK MAGIC

I don’t think I’ve ever heard a Black Magic song I didn’t immediately love. A talented rapper, singer and songwriter, this guy really lives up to his stage name, delivering tracks so immediately infectious, someone seriously has to be chanting magic words in the background. He hasn’t really been on the scene for a while and I as a dedicated fan need a lot more of his brilliant blend of Hip Hop, Afrobeat, and Soul.

Standout Track: Repete

STORM REX

To be very honest, when I think underrated. I think Storm Rex. When I first discovered the awesomeness of this woman, I had to slap myself for being so late to the party. She is not only great on her own, but she still always manages to deliver the standout verse on any song she gets featured on, and would easily become a household name with the right exposure. Tidal seems like a pretty good place to start, right?

Standout Track: Blessing

SUTE

Suté is undoubtedly one of the brightest upcoming rappers in the game right now, and sadly the last name on this list you’re likely to have heard about. Well, you might want to get yourself acquainted with his work, because he is the future of Nigerian rap (feel free to quote me). I also think he would be the easiest artist on this list for Jay Z to work with without tampering with this style.

Standout Track: Badagry

Well, whether any of these guys gets picked up by Mr. Shawn Carter or not, these are still some of the best Nigerian artistes working today, so please – please, please, please – don’t let them fizzle out unappreciated. But at the end of the day, these are still just my opinions. So if you think I missed anyone, feel free to sound off in the comments.
http://techpoint.ng/dear-jay-z-here-are-7-nigerian-artistes-that-should-be-discovered/

I was expecting to see artists like Lil Kesh or Kiss Daniel or one of these young boys now making waves- although, to be very very sincere here, I think Lil Kesh is singing rubbish; 'rhythmically pleasant' rubbish. Who knows, maybe the vacuity of the boy's lyrics is why he didn't feature on this list of 7. It doesn't matter, though. Nigerians love Lil Kesh!!! cheesy

So, do you agree with the writer of this article? The only artist i know on the list is Brymo embarassed

You can add yours

34 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Dear Jay Z, Here Are 7 Talented Nigerians That Should Be “discovered” by Nobody: 11:47am On May 14, 2015
dat list is not complete without Airforce1

me: oh boy u hear say Jay-Z don discover 7 artists for naija wey him wan carry along..

Airforce1: dats good, my name must be dia..dats y iv been sending him messages and goodluck wishes on instagram..moreover he promised he'll take me along

me: ur name no dey there ooo

Airforce1 :cheiiiiiiiii

160 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Dear Jay Z, Here Are 7 Talented Nigerians That Should Be “discovered” by Nobody: 11:48am On May 14, 2015
Nope.. but that is just ma opinion and it don't matter grin
Re: Dear Jay Z, Here Are 7 Talented Nigerians That Should Be “discovered” by justi4jesu(f): 11:49am On May 14, 2015
cheesy cheesy
Re: Dear Jay Z, Here Are 7 Talented Nigerians That Should Be “discovered” by winetapper: 11:49am On May 14, 2015
How come Airforce1 name is not there shocked

7 Likes

Re: Dear Jay Z, Here Are 7 Talented Nigerians That Should Be “discovered” by asumo12: 11:50am On May 14, 2015
ishilove that list aint complete without Airforce1 plz

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dear Jay Z, Here Are 7 Talented Nigerians That Should Be “discovered” by missbehave247(m): 11:50am On May 14, 2015
His opinion duo
Re: Dear Jay Z, Here Are 7 Talented Nigerians That Should Be “discovered” by Tallesty1(m): 11:53am On May 14, 2015
Taylor86:
dat list is not complete without Airforce1

by d way illuminati looming
My Very Thoughts.
Re: Dear Jay Z, Here Are 7 Talented Nigerians That Should Be “discovered” by Creamish(f): 12:09pm On May 14, 2015
Wow...dunno most of dem...just Black Magic & Brymo.. undecided

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dear Jay Z, Here Are 7 Talented Nigerians That Should Be “discovered” by KingTom(m): 12:18pm On May 14, 2015
Rubbish undecided undecided undecided Black Magic and Brymo are already known, the rest of them make good music, but I doubt if they can appeal to audiences outside Nigeria cool

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dear Jay Z, Here Are 7 Talented Nigerians That Should Be “discovered” by safarigirl(f): 12:24pm On May 14, 2015
He should just sign Boj and Temi Dollface, they have the type of music that can capture the attention of International audience

None of those people listed save a few names like Brymo and Blackmagic are notable....not even one semi-hit or a feature on a semi-hit song

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Dear Jay Z, Here Are 7 Talented Nigerians That Should Be “discovered” by Ishilove: 12:34pm On May 14, 2015
asumo12:
ishilove that list aint complete without Airforce1 plz

Lmao!!!! cheesy
Re: Dear Jay Z, Here Are 7 Talented Nigerians That Should Be “discovered” by Nobody: 12:37pm On May 14, 2015
I agree with Simi.
I have watched her song 'Tiff' severally on TV, I must confess she is good.

I am sure so many people may not know her/them (with the exception of Brymo ,Blackmagic and stormrex though) , especially when one doesn't have access to DSTV and all.
'wonder why it is like that : poor promotion?

BOJ isn't a bad idea, I like him...and his costumes too. Boyfriend material grin

4 Likes

Re: Dear Jay Z, Here Are 7 Talented Nigerians That Should Be “discovered” by Nobody: 12:38pm On May 14, 2015
Stormrex... and that her trademark Nkanu dialect smiley

Ok, when I first heard 'Blessing' I instantly liked it, though I wasn't exactly wowed. But I knew straight off she was talented and COULD go places. I'm glad someone else thinks the same.

Another virtually unknown talented singer is Estar of the defunct group Resonance.

2 Likes

Re: Dear Jay Z, Here Are 7 Talented Nigerians That Should Be “discovered” by Yustash001(m): 12:54pm On May 14, 2015
I only know Brymo,Black magic and Storm rex....the others..I haven't even heard of their names...
Re: Dear Jay Z, Here Are 7 Talented Nigerians That Should Be “discovered” by yinkeys(m): 1:20pm On May 14, 2015
The question here is how our musicians could infuse or should I say fine tune their songs to generate global appeal. In the international market,(Europe & USA specifically) how many of the music consumers understand pidgin english, Yoruba or even our Ibo speaking brothers(Alobam). Remember y'all Dbanj was dropped after a short while

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dear Jay Z, Here Are 7 Talented Nigerians That Should Be “discovered” by Nobody: 2:13pm On May 14, 2015
Creamish:
Wow...dunno most of dem...just Black Magic & Brymo.. undecided
shoro niyen

3 Likes

Re: Dear Jay Z, Here Are 7 Talented Nigerians That Should Be “discovered” by Creamish(f): 2:14pm On May 14, 2015
sweetorgasm:
shoro niyen

shoro niyen

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Dear Jay Z, Here Are 7 Talented Nigerians That Should Be “discovered” by Nobody: 2:15pm On May 14, 2015
Creamish:

shoro niyen
u nr dey change ur pics?

1 Like

Re: Dear Jay Z, Here Are 7 Talented Nigerians That Should Be “discovered” by Creamish(f): 2:19pm On May 14, 2015
sweetorgasm:
u nr dey change ur pics?

undecided
Re: Dear Jay Z, Here Are 7 Talented Nigerians That Should Be “discovered” by oppybouy(m): 2:23pm On May 14, 2015
Where is BEZ? that dude is the real deal....besides, his type of music can actually appeal to the int'l community!

9 Likes

Re: Dear Jay Z, Here Are 7 Talented Nigerians That Should Be “discovered” by fatdon2(m): 2:26pm On May 14, 2015
nice
Re: Dear Jay Z, Here Are 7 Talented Nigerians That Should Be “discovered” by jingh(f): 2:27pm On May 14, 2015
I for vex if black magic no dey d list.

D guy is over good

2 Likes

Re: Dear Jay Z, Here Are 7 Talented Nigerians That Should Be “discovered” by alberto2k(m): 2:27pm On May 14, 2015
Ishilove why is my name not on that list cry
Re: Dear Jay Z, Here Are 7 Talented Nigerians That Should Be “discovered” by horlabiyi(m): 2:27pm On May 14, 2015
Is this a way of letting the world/Nigerians/JayZ know them so later you contact them you that you help them for the recognition so they must pay you or you've already gotten so $$$ for them because the only artiste on that list is Brymo the rest are just noisemakers.
Re: Dear Jay Z, Here Are 7 Talented Nigerians That Should Be “discovered” by efilefun(m): 2:27pm On May 14, 2015
safarigirl:
He should just sign Boj and Temi Dollface, they have the type of music that can capture the attention of International audience
None of those people listed save a few names like Brymo and Blackmagic are notable....not even one semi-hit or a feature on a semi-hit song

Those two you mentioned would do great outside the shores of nigeria, i believe brymo would do really good if he continues what he's doing right now, as for blackmagic, his kinda switching to the commercial side already.

ReSexzskilz:
@ op Tidal is became a global company because
hmmm for real
Re: Dear Jay Z, Here Are 7 Talented Nigerians That Should Be “discovered” by omoadeleye(m): 2:28pm On May 14, 2015
Hummm
Re: Dear Jay Z, Here Are 7 Talented Nigerians That Should Be “discovered” by jeeqaa7(m): 2:28pm On May 14, 2015
Okok
Re: Dear Jay Z, Here Are 7 Talented Nigerians That Should Be “discovered” by emperorchedda(m): 2:28pm On May 14, 2015
We always want our artists to go global and work with internationally acclaimed musicians but when this happens we will never be patient with them to climb the ladder gradually and hit international fame.

Take a look at d'banj, he got signed by GOOD music and was making a gradual progress in the Western market but our brothers here were criticising him of being an ordinary back up artist to Kanye West...how does one teleport to the top if not with slow growth?!

We need patience

3 Likes

Re: Dear Jay Z, Here Are 7 Talented Nigerians That Should Be “discovered” by baybeeboi: 2:29pm On May 14, 2015
as in like Jay Z should use them to wipe his backside or what?

I don't see how they fit in

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

~Your Ultimate Love Songs/Artists ~Lovers Chillout Spot~ / Any Song For The One You Love! / Davido's "IF" Finally Debuts On Billboard

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.