Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,582 members, 7,809,111 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:31 PM

Amazing Pictures From Nigeria's Past - Culture (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Amazing Pictures From Nigeria's Past (69125 Views)

Pictures From The Boat Regatta Held For Lagos@50 / Pictures From Obodoukwu Festival Held In Imo State / Pictures From Omabe Festival In Nsukka, Enugu State. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Amazing Pictures From Nigeria's Past by daxlasaint(m): 9:52pm On May 14, 2015
ROSSIKE:
Keep deceiving yourself. Literacy rate has increased dramatically since independence. Why do you think the vast majority of our grandparents are illiterates? Use your brain for once!

If you werent so insultive and vindictive... your post would actually be awesome, but as it is even when u r making sense you suck major arse
Re: Amazing Pictures From Nigeria's Past by Enoquin(f): 9:52pm On May 14, 2015
adexsimply:

Nope!!! It wasn't a call out... It was a angry angry angry

Emoticons to the rescue, when speechless, deploy them grin
Re: Amazing Pictures From Nigeria's Past by blackprowler: 10:04pm On May 14, 2015
ROSSIKE:

What bibliography? You don't need any bibliography to know that Nigeria was an undeveloped wasteland at independence. Go anywhere in the country now, point at any infrastructure and ask the locals when it was built? None was built before independence. What we see around us is what we, the Africans built. So you don't need any bibliography. All you need is a bit of common sense, and lack of colonial mentality.

I didn't look at the name b4 sending the reply. If u look well on this thread, you'll see you're...different. I've wasted my time in the past engaging you. I won't be doing that again
Re: Amazing Pictures From Nigeria's Past by robosky02(m): 10:04pm On May 14, 2015
“Idia n’Iye Esigie” of a West African civilization - The Benin Empire
the face of FESTAC '77

First Woman to earn a title from the Empire as “IYOBA” also represented as “The Queen mother”
First Woman to have stopped the killing of the King’s mother at the ascension of kingship throne in the history of Great Benin – West African Civilization
First Woman commander [mother of the king] to have led soldiers/warrior to fight and win a war in defense of her Nation.
First Woman [mother] to have produced a one of most enlightened prince(Son) relating with the Europeans in their early encounter.
First woman to have witness one of the highest diplomatic ties btw Black Africa and Europeans [Portuguese] in her time, say about 1484 – 1540

First woman to have witness the early formation of churches and missionary school in Nigeria.
First Woman to have lived one of the most fearful and dreadful time of continues war both in the husband’s reign [Ozolua] and her son’s reign [Esigie].
First woman to have taken up the mantle of leadership in terms of socio – economic development of the Old Benin Empire, which was invaded and burnt down by the British military force 1897 during the British – Benin War in Nigeria
First woman to have introduce the gladiators spirit and high virtues of feminism in the history of Black African civilization
First Woman to have earn world class recognition, respect and dignity, of whose presence [sculpture and art work] continue to show in every media and publications far and near. Same woman, the face of the popular Ivory Mask.

2 Likes

Re: Amazing Pictures From Nigeria's Past by robosky02(m): 10:07pm On May 14, 2015
Nigerias contingent at FESTAC '77

1 Like

Re: Amazing Pictures From Nigeria's Past by robosky02(m): 10:25pm On May 14, 2015
Garrick Sokari Braide (1882–1918), founder of christ army church. was the first Nigerian to found an indigeneous african church in west africa 1918. aside the missionaries that came to nigeria.

he was healer and prophet, also referd to as Nigeria's Braide Movement, an extraordinary religious revival also known as the prophetic movement, which swept the Niger Delta in 1915 and 1916. Born in Bakana, the Niger delta.

2 Likes

Re: Amazing Pictures From Nigeria's Past by adexsimply(m): 10:30pm On May 14, 2015
Enoquin:

Emoticons to the rescue, when speechless, deploy them grin
grin grin

undecided undecided undecided
Re: Amazing Pictures From Nigeria's Past by goldtooth: 10:30pm On May 14, 2015
MzJackBaueress:
For those of us who used Lacombes text book. grin

Wow found memories. That book had very difficult exercises. it was hard for me. hmm now i am feeling old cry
Re: Amazing Pictures From Nigeria's Past by warriiboguy: 10:30pm On May 14, 2015
D black scorpion
MzJackBaueress:
[email][/email]Col. Benjamin Adekunle and wife walks into church for Gowon's wedding in 1969.
Re: Amazing Pictures From Nigeria's Past by Tojued: 10:56pm On May 14, 2015
Am I the one noticing that there's no single picture of anyone in Hijab? The women were wearing asoeke, even knee high wrapper and sleeveless tops. The girls were also dressed freely.

Very similar to pictures from Afghanistan in the 80's where women were wearing short dresses.
Re: Amazing Pictures From Nigeria's Past by Legendoscar2: 10:57pm On May 14, 2015
robosky02:

"baba shege" as a young ambitiouse Soldier
Nothing dey ever fit this man?
Re: Amazing Pictures From Nigeria's Past by Legendoscar2: 11:00pm On May 14, 2015
MzJackBaueress:
Princess Alexandria of Kent dancing with Late Chief Festus Okotie Eboh in 1963
Okotie-eboh....see Swagg and all this Oyibo girls if them shack small na so chief don hammer be dat o grin
Re: Amazing Pictures From Nigeria's Past by Legendoscar2: 11:03pm On May 14, 2015
Touchforfree:

They named this truck "Boole-kaja".
Meaning "alight, let's fight"......
No it's alight/come down let's get-off
Re: Amazing Pictures From Nigeria's Past by Legendoscar2: 11:12pm On May 14, 2015
ozodigboo:

Lagusta, u are a regular presence on this site, so i respect u for that.
But u can't know everything.........and plz don't claim to do so.
King Jaja's real name was Jubo Juboagha.
HE WAS FROM AMAIGBO IN THE OLD ORLU DIVISION. IN PRESENT DAY IMO / ABIA STATE.
It was from there he was kidnapped and sold to slavery.
i wouldn't even be surprised if its on google.
You're very correct you don't even need to go to google. I knew this from primary school in our history class. Most history majors in Naija know the story well. I worked in Bonny Terminal for a shell for over 7 years many years ago. I went to ooooo /Nkoro and saw people and landmarks bearing this great man's history . He was even banished to the carribeans and got his freedom, returned and became even more defiant...no be today Niger delta don dey rep oo grin

1 Like

Re: Amazing Pictures From Nigeria's Past by Nobody: 11:21pm On May 14, 2015
Ihuomadinihu:
@Op,you pulled these pictures from a Facebook page,am very sure of that. Nice effort.
in as much as she is educating people here,kudos to her..u too should pull yours from anywhere and do Same..bad belle is allowed
Re: Amazing Pictures From Nigeria's Past by armadeo(m): 11:43pm On May 14, 2015
donem:

naso ur'e mouthed, as him see SMOG him say no shakin.

Dude u jack that book wella. U even remember SMOG. Nice one. grin grin
Re: Amazing Pictures From Nigeria's Past by donem: 11:51pm On May 14, 2015
armadeo:

Dude u jack that book wella. U even remember SMOG. Nice one. grin grin
nobi lies, one love broda.
Re: Amazing Pictures From Nigeria's Past by osarcho: 1:26am On May 15, 2015
ROSSIKE:
What is so special about these pics? Nigeria was very underdeveloped when all those pics were taken. Most people were malnourished, lived in neglected villages with no electricity or running water. Cars were only for the super rich. Roads were virtually non existent. Illiteracy was the order of the day. Op please stop romanticising misery and deprivation. LIFE IS MUCH BETTER TODAY FOR NIGERIANS.

And who are you sir
Re: Amazing Pictures From Nigeria's Past by khazeem(m): 4:42am On May 15, 2015
Re: Amazing Pictures From Nigeria's Past by Ihuomadinihu: 7:10am On May 15, 2015
southniyikaye:
in as much as she is educating people here,kudos to her..u too should pull yours from anywhere and do Same..bad belle is allowed
How did you sense bad bella in my question? I have only seen these pictures on facebook so was surprised to see it here. You have no idea of what bad bella is,don't go around quoting people unnecessarily.
Re: Amazing Pictures From Nigeria's Past by xoella: 8:27am On May 15, 2015
Nigeria has a very rich history. That's y we should be very proud of our Nigerian heritage.
Re: Amazing Pictures From Nigeria's Past by Asuokaa: 9:50am On May 15, 2015
Eluala:

Jaja was an Igbo boy from a place called Amaigbo in the present day Imo State. Back then there was a constant trading relationship between Igbos from the hinterland and the Ijaws, Ibibios, Ibanis, Efiks etc towards the coast.

He was sold as a slave at age 9 to Ibani buyers and he ended up working his way up the social ladder by first paying for his own freedom and subsequently became so powerful as to dominate even the people that bought him. As the conflict increased, he decided to leave Ibani (Bonny) and moved away to occupy the place called Opobo today. Of course he moved with his household, slaves and army to establish Opobo. So judge for yourself if he is still Igbo or Ijaw.

thanks....
Re: Amazing Pictures From Nigeria's Past by robosky02(m): 10:05am On May 15, 2015
Major Isaac Adaka Boro:

the man that started the Niger Delta struggle

1 Like

Re: Amazing Pictures From Nigeria's Past by batstan(m): 10:29am On May 15, 2015
KingTom:
Bad guys grin grin grin
The 3 baddest ever, sitting, same that killed the 4th when he was becoming too powerful .
Conspiracy
Re: Amazing Pictures From Nigeria's Past by robosky02(m): 10:48am On May 15, 2015
Legendoscar2:

Nothing dey ever fit this man?

but him they fit enter every generation. lols

Re: Amazing Pictures From Nigeria's Past by robosky02(m): 10:56am On May 15, 2015
The first-ever storey building in Nigeria in 1842. Badagry
Rev. Henry Townsend laid the foundation of but the building was completed in 1845 by Rev. C.A Gollmer.

Re: Amazing Pictures From Nigeria's Past by MzJackBaueress(f): 1:34pm On May 15, 2015
robosky02:

The first-ever storey building in Nigeria in 1842. Badagry
Rev. Henry Townsend laid the foundation of but the building was completed in 1845 by Rev. C.A Gollmer.

you have taken over my thread. Kontinu
grin
Re: Amazing Pictures From Nigeria's Past by robosky02(m): 2:15pm On May 15, 2015
MzJackBaueress:
you have taken over my thread. Kontinu
grin

kai never

you are the pilot we are just co-pilot (kingtom and me)

can't help but must make an input cos the tread is just a lovely one.

from the beginning i know we (sorry you) will hit the front page.

thanks for allowing us on board.... nice "colabo" lol
Re: Amazing Pictures From Nigeria's Past by Nobody: 3:28pm On May 15, 2015
Ihuomadinihu:

How did you sense bad bella in my question? I have only seen these pictures on facebook so was surprised to see it here. You have no idea of what bad bella is,don't go around quoting people unnecessarily.
abeg swerve and stop creating unnecessary attention.. wherever she lifted the story from is non of our business and we don't care to know as long as we understood the msg...
Re: Amazing Pictures From Nigeria's Past by Ify3: 3:46pm On May 15, 2015
Lagusta:

King jaja was not an Igbo man bruv.....

@mzjackbaueress nice thread, following, please more pics please
King Jaja was from Nkwere, Imo State before he was sold to slave trade.
Please goggle the history of Opobo to be well informed.
Re: Amazing Pictures From Nigeria's Past by Ihuomadinihu: 4:20pm On May 15, 2015
southniyikaye:
abeg swerve and stop creating unnecessary attention.. wherever she lifted the story from is non of our business and we don't care to know as long as we understood the msg...
Pls get away. Every question or observation in Nigeria is called bad bella. Shurrup!
Re: Amazing Pictures From Nigeria's Past by sonjohn994: 5:15pm On May 15, 2015
i love this with all my heart ... i cant wait to see more

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

Facts About The Yoruba Enclave In The Heart Of Aniocha In Delta State / BBC's Documentary On The 'Bronze Cast Head Of The Ife King' / Masquerade, Ajeron, Cleanses Ajegunle Of Coronavirus (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.