Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,975 members, 7,806,848 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 04:03 AM

The Mystery Of Mechizedek Solved!...who Is He? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Mystery Of Mechizedek Solved!...who Is He? (1674 Views)

Mystery Trees With Arabic Inscription In Ogun Turn Tourist Attraction / Revelation: The Mystery Of Heaven And Hell / The Gay Movement And The Mystery Of History (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Mystery Of Mechizedek Solved!...who Is He? by lifter(m): 11:35am On May 15, 2015
The Mystery of Melchizedek Solved!
by Herbert W. Armstrong (1892-1986)
FEW MYSTERIES of the Bible have attracted more interest than the mystery of the identity of Melchizedek. Who is he?
You will read in Hebrews 6:19-20 that Jesus Christ, after His resurrection, is High Priest "after the order of Melchizedek." The plainer English of the Moffatt translation words it: ".with the rank of" that is, equal status with "Melchizedek." Melchizedek Was God's Priest.
First, notice from both Old and New Testaments that the man of mystery, Melchizedek, was a priest of the Most High God. Turn 'low to the account in Genesis 14. During the war between a number of ancient city-states in Canaan and Mesopotamia, Abraham's nephew Lot had been captured. He and his family and goods were carted off. One of their numbers escaped and brought the news to Abraham, who armed 318 of his own servants and pursued the invaders to what was later named Dan and beyond. Abraham rescued Lot and his family and returned them safely to the Canaanite cities. On Abraham's return a man of mystery bursts upon the scene. Abraham was ministered to by Melchizedek.
Here is the account:
"And Melchizedek king of Salem brought out bread and
wine; he was priest of God Most High. And he [Melchizedek]
blessed him [Abraham] and said, 'Blessed be Abram by God
Most High, maker of heaven and earth; and blessed be God
Most High, who has delivered your enemies into your hand!'
And Abram gave him [Melchizedek] a tenth of everything"
that is, a tithe of all, for a tithe means a tenth (Genesis
14:18-20, RSV).
Notice that Melchizedek was king of Salem. That is the city of Jerusalem. "Salem" comes from the Hebrew word meaning "peace." That would make Melchizedek the "King of Peace" (Hebrews 7:2). The Hebrew name Melchizedek itself means "King of Righteousness" (Hebrews 7:2). The same individual is mentioned in Psalm 110:4. Speaking prophetically of Christ, David stated: "The Eternal hath sworn, and will not repent, Thou art a priest forever after the order of Melchizedek." This verse is quoted again in Hebrews 5:6, 10. Before we turn to Hebrews for the identification of Melchizedek, remember that this mystery figure is a mystery only to us. Abraham and the King of wicked Sodom knew exactly who he was. They must have seen him before. He could not have been a Canaanite, for they were steeped in pagan customs. And furthermore Canaan was a descendant of Ham, whereas God basically chose the descendants of Shem to accomplish His work.
THEN WHO IS THE MYSTERY MAN MELCHIZEDEK?
One other hint before we proceed. The land of Canaan from ancient time, before the days of Moses, was known among the Gentiles as "the divine land" the Holy land" the land of the place of worship!" Why? Was there someone in the Holy Land who was divine, holy, worthy of worship? The Mystery Clears Coming to Hebrews 7, we find Melchizedek identified:
"For this Melchizedek, king of Salem, priest of the most high
God, who met Abraham returning from the slaughter of the
kings, and blessed him; to whom also Abraham gave a tenth
part of all; first being by interpretation King of
righteousness, and after that also King of Salem, which is,
King of peace" (Hebrews 7:1-2).
Since God names individuals what they are, that, then is what this man is.. "King of Righteousness." Think of it! King of Righteousness. Jesus Himself said: "There is none good but one, that is, God" (Matthew 19:17). Human self-righteousness is, before God, as filthy rags. None can be righteous but God—or one made righteous by God's power—Christ in a person! And certainly none but One of the Godhead the divine Kingdom of God would be King of Righteousness. Such an expression, applied to any but God, would be blasphemous. Why? Righteousness is obedience to God's Law. Since God made all laws (James 4:12), He is Supreme Ruler or King. He determines what righteousness is. "All thy commandments are righteousness" (Psalm 119:172). When speaking of one of the points of that Law, Jesus placed Himself superior to it. He is Lord of the Sabbath (Mark 2:28). No man is Lord or King over God's Law. Only God could be! All human beings have sinned and broken that Law of righteousness (Romans 3:23). To continue with Hebrews 7. Note, too, that this man was King of peace. "Salem" from which Jerusalem was named means "peace." And remember, Jesus is called the Prince of peace! No human being could be King of Peace. Men know not the way of peace. Read Romans 3:10 and 17: "There is none righteous, no, not one.... And the way of peace have they not known." Observe further: Melchizedek was "without mother, without father, without descent," or as the Phillips translation renders it: "He had no father or mother and no family tree." He was not born as human beings are. He was without father and mother. This does not mean that Melchizedek's records of birth were lost. Without such records human priests could not serve (Ezra 2:62). But here Melchizedek had no genealogy. He must not have been an ordinary mortal. He had no descent or pedigree from another, but was self-existent. Notice Paul's own inspired interpretation of this fact: "Having neither beginning of days, nor end of life" (Hebrews 7:3). Therefore He has always existed from eternity! He was not even created, like angels. But He is now eternally self-existing. And that is true only of GOD deity, not humanity! Not the Father Nor the Holy Spirit
Yet Melchizedek cannot be God the Father. He was the "priest of that Most High God." Scripture says no man has ever seen the Father (John 1:18, 5:37), but Abraham saw Melchizedek. He cannot be God the Father, but rather, "made like unto the Son of God; abideth a priest continually" (Hebrews 7:3). And there it is! In the days of Abraham, He was not the Son of God, for He had not yet been born of the virgin Mary but He was made like unto the Son of God in His manifestation to the ancients.
NOTICE AGAIN: Melchizedek, this scripture reveals, abides that is, remains permanently, continually, a priest. God the Father is not the Priest of God, but Christ the Son is! Yet, in the days when the Apostle Paul lived and wrote, shortly after Jesus ascended to heaven as High Priest, the scripture states that even then Melchizedek "abideth "—which means does now abide—"a priest continually." The Moffatt translation states it: "continues to be priest permanently" even while Jesus Christ is High Priest! And notice that the order of Christ's Priesthood is named after Melchizedek. It is the High Priest's name that is placed upon an order just as Aaron's name was upon the Aaronic priesthood. Thus Melchizedek was then High Priest, in Paul's day, and even now, and He will rule forever! And at the same time Christ was, is today, and shall be forever High Priest! Are there two High Priests'? No! Impossible! The conclusion is inescapable. Contrary to many cherished man-thought-out ideas, Melchizedek and Christ are one and the same! Some people have stumbled on the statement that Melchizedek has no "end of life." They contend that since Christ died, He had an end of life! If that be true then Christ is still dead! But Christ is not dead. He is alive. It was not possible for Christ to be held by death (Acts 2:24). Melchizedek would never have fulfilled His office of High Priest if He had not died for the sins of the people and risen again. It is the function of the High Priest to lead the way to salvation.
Indeed, Jesus Christ is the author and finisher of our salvation (Hebrews 5:9; 12:2). He is "called of God an high priest after the order of Melchizedek" (Hebrews 5:10). And no wonder. Melchizedek and Christ is one and the same Person!
© 1972 Worldwide Church of God
Re: The Mystery Of Mechizedek Solved!...who Is He? by Anas09: 2:54pm On May 15, 2015
Interesting. Jesus has always been here. Just that he wasn't called Jesus yet. He appeared to Joshua. Angels don't receive worship at all, anytime man offered worship to whom he (man) felt was an angel and that "angel" accepts the worship, just know that's Jesus. I mean in the O.T.
Re: The Mystery Of Mechizedek Solved!...who Is He? by Nobody: 3:07pm On May 15, 2015
The jews strongly disagree with the op. They SHOULD know best, afterall it IS their book that Paul was trying to misquote.

http://www.donmeh-west.com/melchi.shtml

by Rabbi Yakov Hakohain.
Re: The Mystery Of Mechizedek Solved!...who Is He? by Nobody: 4:37pm On May 15, 2015
Thanks so much. I will need an exposition on who ArchAngel Micheal is. I beliv it is the same JESUS. Thanks again, am a seeker.
Re: The Mystery Of Mechizedek Solved!...who Is He? by NumberOne2(m): 6:44pm On May 15, 2015
"Without father, without mother, without descent, having neither beginning of days, nor end of life; but made like unto the Son of God; abideth a priest continually." - Hebrews 7:3
Well, I do NOT agree that he is Christ based on the BOLDED in the scripture above.

= My Deduction =
Melchizedek is GOD. Yes!
I am glad for this topic as I have been meditating on this for a while now.

You see, it is difficult for us to place Melchizedek because Christians have assumed that God is in 3 persons (Father, Son and Spirit).
This is false. The truth is, there are MANY sides of God beyond what we can think or imagine.
Melchizedek is the Priest of God as stated clearly. Why is this hard to comprehend?
Because we have put God in the TRINITY box. Check your Bible, there is NO trinity in it.

So we have
- God the Father (Jehova *)
- God the Son (Jesus)
- God the Spirit (The Comforter)
- God the Priest (Melchizedek).
I am convinced there are up to 7 sides of God which we dont know of. God is too vast.

Now, can Melchizedek and Jesus be priests at the same time? NO.
After Jesus death like Paul said in Hebrew 7:15, Jesus arose as the new Priest.
"And it is yet far more evident: for that after the similitude of Melchisedec there ariseth another priest,
Who is made, not after the law of a carnal commandment, but after the power of an endless life." - Hebrew 7:15-16

Thus declared
"For he testifieth, Thou art a priest (Jesus) for ever after the order of Melchisedec." - Hebrew 7:17

So what happened to Melchizedek? He has been replaced by Jesus but Jesus operates as Melchizedek did "after the order of Melchisedec."
Just as Jesus went to Heaven so the Holy Spirit should come, so Melchizedek left for Jesus to become Priest. Where he went, I know not.

God is to vast to understand.
"Great is our Lord, and of great power: his understanding is infinite." - Psalms 147:5

1 Like

Re: The Mystery Of Mechizedek Solved!...who Is He? by jcross19: 11:09pm On May 15, 2015
NumberOne2:
"Without father, without mother, without descent, having neither beginning of days, nor end of life; but made like unto the Son of God; abideth a priest continually." - Hebrews 7:3
Well, I do NOT agree that he is Christ based on the BOLDED in the scripture above.

= My Deduction =
Melchizedek is GOD. Yes!
I am glad for this topic as I have been meditating on this for a while now.

You see, it is difficult for us to place Melchizedek because Christians have assumed that God is in 3 persons (Father, Son and Spirit).
This is false. The truth is, there are MANY sides of God beyond what we can think or imagine.
Melchizedek is the Priest of God as stated clearly. Why is this hard to comprehend?
Because we have put God in the TRINITY box. Check your Bible, there is NO trinity in it.

So we have
- God the Father (Jehova *)
- God the Son (Jesus)
- God the Spirit (The Comforter)
- God the Priest (Melchizedek).
I am convinced there are up to 7 sides of God which we dont know of. God is too vast.

Now, can Melchizedek and Jesus be priests at the same time? NO.
After Jesus death like Paul said in Hebrew 7:15, Jesus arose as the new Priest.
"And it is yet far more evident: for that after the similitude of Melchisedec there ariseth another priest,
Who is made, not after the law of a carnal commandment, but after the power of an endless life." - Hebrew 7:15-16

Thus declared
"For he testifieth, Thou art a priest (Jesus) for ever after the order of Melchisedec." - Hebrew 7:17

So what happened to Melchizedek? He has been replaced by Jesus but Jesus operates as Melchizedek did "after the order of Melchisedec."
Just as Jesus went to Heaven so the Holy Spirit should come, so Melchizedek left for Jesus to become Priest. Where he went, I know not.

God is to vast to understand.
"Great is our Lord, and of great power: his understanding is infinite." - Psalms 147:5
please there is no verse that confirm that jesus was the melchizedek , paul was trying to compare that priest to christ . In the history of judaism it was discovered that shem was the melchizedek and in joshua 10 verse 1 you will find another king of jerusalem called adonizedek ,melchizedek is human being but he live more than a thousand years but he has no record in bible but jewish scholars know more of him.

1 Like

Re: The Mystery Of Mechizedek Solved!...who Is He? by johnw74: 2:04am On May 16, 2015
Abuamam:
The jews strongly disagree with the op. They SHOULD know best, afterall it IS their book that Paul was trying to misquote.

http://www.donmeh-west.com/melchi.shtml

by Rabbi Yakov Hakohain.

Paul was converted by the Word of God Himself, on the Damascus Road.
He wouldn't try to misquote any scripture.
Re: The Mystery Of Mechizedek Solved!...who Is He? by twosquare(m): 3:09am On May 16, 2015
Intruding into things they do not know.....
Re: The Mystery Of Mechizedek Solved!...who Is He? by jcross19: 6:48am On May 16, 2015
johnw74:

Paul was converted by the Word of God Himself, on the Damascus Road.
He wouldn't try to misquote any scripture.
paul did not say jesus is the melchizedek but he was comparing them together okay . Read it yourself.
Re: The Mystery Of Mechizedek Solved!...who Is He? by NumberOne2(m): 7:56am On May 16, 2015
jcross19:
please there is no verse that confirm that jesus was the melchizedek , paul was trying to compare that priest to christ . In the history of judaism it was discovered that shem was the melchizedek and in joshua 10 verse 1 you will find another king of jerusalem called adonizedek ,melchizedek is human being but he live more than a thousand years but he has no record in bible but jewish scholars know more of him.

Paul was a Jew so he also knew the story of Melchizedek. He did not need to misquote Moses (who wrote Genesis). As for Mechizedek being Shem son of Noah who lived a thousand years is laughable. Read the geneology of Shem on Genesis 10 and 11. Nothing about a thousand years there. Finally, why would only Shem live a thousand years and his brothers were left out. They all survived the flood together right?

PS: I never said Melchizedek is Christ, I said he is God (the Priest).
Re: The Mystery Of Mechizedek Solved!...who Is He? by NumberOne2(m): 8:12am On May 16, 2015
MrCcf:
Thanks so much. I will need an exposition on who ArchAngel Micheal is. I beliv it is the same JESUS. Thanks again, am a seeker.

Are you trying to be funny? Compare Jesus (the son of God) to an angel? Angels are messengers. Even men are higher than angels. Did you not read in Genesis how angels lusted after the daughters of men?
Re: The Mystery Of Mechizedek Solved!...who Is He? by Nobody: 8:25am On May 16, 2015
NumberOne2:

Are you trying to be funny? Compare Jesus (the son of God) to an angel? Angels are messengers. Even men are higher than angels. Did you not read in Genesis how angels lusted after the daughters of men?
Am only asking who ArchAngel Micheal is. I believe Him to be Jesus, that is why am asking for a clarification from you.
Re: The Mystery Of Mechizedek Solved!...who Is He? by NumberOne2(m): 8:50am On May 16, 2015
MrCcf:

Am only asking who ArchAngel Micheal is. I believe Him to be Jesus, that is why am asking for a clarification from you.

Well he is NOT Jesus. He is an angel whose name is Michael.

Read about Jesus in John 1:1-End.
Read about Angel Michael in Jude 1:19
I cant imagine Jesus contending with Satan for anything (like the body of Moses)
Re: The Mystery Of Mechizedek Solved!...who Is He? by johnw74: 11:21am On May 16, 2015
jcross19:
paul did not say jesus is the melchizedek but he was comparing them together okay . Read it yourself.

Why are you telling me that?

Abuaman:

it IS their book that Paul was trying to misquote.

That's what I commented on.
Re: The Mystery Of Mechizedek Solved!...who Is He? by jcross19: 1:39pm On May 16, 2015
NumberOne2:

paul of tarsus was not an isrealite but a turkish okay and no where paul said melchizedek is God,he said he was a priest of most high. Then why confusion ? Go to google search the word melchizedek in jewish history you will find all you need than confusing the sincere reader.
Re: The Mystery Of Mechizedek Solved!...who Is He? by NumberOne2(m): 3:22pm On May 16, 2015
jcross19:
paul of tarsus was not an isrealite but a turkish okay and no where paul said melchizedek is God,he said he was a priest of most high. Then why confusion ? Go to google search the word melchizedek in jewish history you will find all you need than confusing the sincere reader.

Dude what is this? Everyone knows Paul was a Jew born in Tarsus.

(1) (Reply)

Now The Truth Emerges: How The US Fuelled The Rise Of Isis In Syria And Iraq. / The Evil Born Again Christians Do / I Am Confused

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.