Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,029 members, 7,807,051 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 08:57 AM

2 Reasons Why Your GPA Matters In Nigeria And 1 Reason Why It Doesn’t - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 2 Reasons Why Your GPA Matters In Nigeria And 1 Reason Why It Doesn’t (22227 Views)

Unknown Advantages Of Having A Low GPA / How To Improve Your GPA And Stay Focused On Your Education Each Semester / 2 Reasons Why Your GPA Matters In Nigeria And 1 Reason Why It Doesn’t (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

2 Reasons Why Your GPA Matters In Nigeria And 1 Reason Why It Doesn’t by mubarak89(m): 3:27am On May 16, 2015

At a workshop we had organized for students, students were asked whether their GPAs matter after graduation. We had many responses that were enlightening and reflecting many divergent views.

The best response we got -in my opinion- was that “whether or not your GPA matters after graduation depends majorly on your plans”.

What will be your own response if asked?

Here are 2 reasons why your GPA matters:

1. Going further in your academic pursuit

If your plan is to go to graduate school for Masters, your GPA is going to matter, as schools will look at your transcripts; so maintaining a high GPA is essential.

2. Low GPA decreases your chances to easily securing a job

If you plan on entering the job market immediately after graduation, your GPA is also very important. Recruitment exercises in Nigeria are known for using GPAs to screen out applicants in a bid to cut down the number of applicants to be invited for interview.

So, should you worry if your GPA is reading low?

No.

GPA is not the only criteria employers look at when considering applicants. Internships, relevant projects in college and other extracurricular activities also help on entry-level positions.

However, the story changes a lot more if you have chosen a different path.

1 Reason why your GPA doesn’t matter

If your mind is directed towards business, entrepreneurship, etc. then your GPA does not matter as such.

However, my advice to any student is to work smart at scoring an excellent GPA regardless of the career path they have chosen. Even if you don’t wish to use your “kwali” after school, a high GPA never hurts.

Source: See http://graduatewell.com/article/d7415e51c371b92106050b1bd40aa5a8

6 Likes 5 Shares

Re: 2 Reasons Why Your GPA Matters In Nigeria And 1 Reason Why It Doesn’t by StarMogul(m): 4:43am On May 16, 2015
So true,even though am working towards being an entreprenuer am also working hard on my grades.#selfdetermined.Wow Fp
Anyways life is not easy,all u nid is balance,am still trying to balance it sef.

1 Like

Re: 2 Reasons Why Your GPA Matters In Nigeria And 1 Reason Why It Doesn’t by bamidelemoses: 6:34am On May 16, 2015
True. Nice Write.

2 Likes

Re: 2 Reasons Why Your GPA Matters In Nigeria And 1 Reason Why It Doesn’t by okooloyun1(m): 9:22am On May 16, 2015
Is that all?

1 Like

Re: 2 Reasons Why Your GPA Matters In Nigeria And 1 Reason Why It Doesn’t by adexsimply(m): 9:23am On May 16, 2015
You're not very wrong cool
While others were working on their CGPA then, I was working on my....Fortunately, I had both.
Re: 2 Reasons Why Your GPA Matters In Nigeria And 1 Reason Why It Doesn’t by MevsU(m): 9:24am On May 16, 2015
Nice
Re: 2 Reasons Why Your GPA Matters In Nigeria And 1 Reason Why It Doesn’t by hertheytheydgee(m): 9:24am On May 16, 2015
La cram, la puor

cover to cover

And get your A(s)

Nobody will ask you to define anything when looking for job.

The above advice is for the DULL Ones.

Read, understand and practice what you are taught, good result will surely follow. Unless super eagles(witchcraft) are after you.

In future, you never know who your boss will be.

It might be Yourself or Someone else.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2 Reasons Why Your GPA Matters In Nigeria And 1 Reason Why It Doesn’t by shedrack222: 9:24am On May 16, 2015
Good morning all

Must read

Buhari should not be sworn in with the Quran - Etcetera writes

[url]proudlyweb.com/buhari-should-not-be-sworn-in-with-the-quran-etcetera-writes/[/url]

1 Like

Re: 2 Reasons Why Your GPA Matters In Nigeria And 1 Reason Why It Doesn’t by bmxshop: 9:24am On May 16, 2015
True.
Re: 2 Reasons Why Your GPA Matters In Nigeria And 1 Reason Why It Doesn’t by keko14: 9:24am On May 16, 2015
True talk
Re: 2 Reasons Why Your GPA Matters In Nigeria And 1 Reason Why It Doesn’t by godofwar666(m): 9:24am On May 16, 2015
I still have long way to go. Thanks op i'm deeply grateful 4 this write up
Re: 2 Reasons Why Your GPA Matters In Nigeria And 1 Reason Why It Doesn’t by ViktorMartins(m): 9:24am On May 16, 2015
Whatever your hands findeth doing, do it excellently

2 Likes

Re: 2 Reasons Why Your GPA Matters In Nigeria And 1 Reason Why It Doesn’t by shachris02: 9:25am On May 16, 2015
people would high GPAs would always be under people with low GPA. GPAs are crap.
Re: 2 Reasons Why Your GPA Matters In Nigeria And 1 Reason Why It Doesn’t by ShegsDayo(m): 9:25am On May 16, 2015
This is so true. Your perspective is all that matters; plans after school also will define the importance of your GPA.
Nice writeup
Re: 2 Reasons Why Your GPA Matters In Nigeria And 1 Reason Why It Doesn’t by IamSimi(m): 9:25am On May 16, 2015
Datz true, FRONTPAGE tinx
Re: 2 Reasons Why Your GPA Matters In Nigeria And 1 Reason Why It Doesn’t by ShegsDayo(m): 9:26am On May 16, 2015
Nice Write-up
Re: 2 Reasons Why Your GPA Matters In Nigeria And 1 Reason Why It Doesn’t by Jossyroyal1: 9:27am On May 16, 2015
Hmmmm, Una just dey give all these 3rd class folks undue hopes! Issorit, even if it doesn't matter, get the highest GPA u can and u will be proud u did!

2 Likes

Re: 2 Reasons Why Your GPA Matters In Nigeria And 1 Reason Why It Doesn’t by younghartz(m): 9:27am On May 16, 2015
That awkward moment when literate people start working for illiterate. cry

2 Likes

Re: 2 Reasons Why Your GPA Matters In Nigeria And 1 Reason Why It Doesn’t by msmon(m): 9:27am On May 16, 2015
Reading!
Re: 2 Reasons Why Your GPA Matters In Nigeria And 1 Reason Why It Doesn’t by amikedo1234567(f): 9:31am On May 16, 2015
It is well

1 Like

Re: 2 Reasons Why Your GPA Matters In Nigeria And 1 Reason Why It Doesn’t by fmolaooch: 9:34am On May 16, 2015
GPAS is very neccesary for student because firstly in nigeria it is require even though you are not brav or intelligent but when llook and observe the whiteman role we notice that even though you dont Make your GPAS they belive in lthe. Intelligence. Nowaday many GPA are made with settlement(money).olaoooch.
Re: 2 Reasons Why Your GPA Matters In Nigeria And 1 Reason Why It Doesn’t by halton(m): 9:45am On May 16, 2015
Izzorite
Re: 2 Reasons Why Your GPA Matters In Nigeria And 1 Reason Why It Doesn’t by Nobody: 9:45am On May 16, 2015
Well After all my readings, night class, burnt candles i manage to garner a cgpa of 3.51 then my happiness of making second class upper was cut short when i saw my cgpa as compiled by my department as 3.41, All avenues to correct it was negative, i have to accept the cgpa.

Most of the girls that wrote from me, made 2.1, even those i taught in my class. I strongly want cgpa to be scrapped cos i cant believe that a brainy dude like me having 3.41 will be placed on same class of degree with corky guys that do not attend lectures but rely on expo to make 2.51.
Re: 2 Reasons Why Your GPA Matters In Nigeria And 1 Reason Why It Doesn’t by skondo09(m): 9:48am On May 16, 2015
hertheytheydgee:
La cram, la puor

cover to cover

And get your A(s)

Nobody will ask you to define anything when looking for job.

The above advice is for the DULL Ones.

Read, understand and practice what you are taught, good result will surely follow. Unless super eagles(witchcraft) are after you.

In future, you never know who your boss will be.

It might be Yourself or Someone else.

lol.. SUPER EAGLE 'ogbanje level'
Re: 2 Reasons Why Your GPA Matters In Nigeria And 1 Reason Why It Doesn’t by Bolade005: 9:53am On May 16, 2015
Even with a strong GP, I got nothing for over two years. Self-employment is the way to go in this country.

I hope this will inspire you.

https://www.nairaland.com/2316549/self-employment-realest-deal

1 Like

Re: 2 Reasons Why Your GPA Matters In Nigeria And 1 Reason Why It Doesn’t by manpo2k(m): 9:53am On May 16, 2015
Re: 2 Reasons Why Your GPA Matters In Nigeria And 1 Reason Why It Doesn’t by skondo09(m): 9:56am On May 16, 2015
shedrack222:
Good morning all

Must read

Buhari should not be sworn in with the Quran - Etcetera writes

[url]proudlyweb.com/buhari-should-not-be-sworn-in-with-the-quran-etcetera-writes/[/url]

dnt derail this thread into sum religious argument. evn d source u qouted wasnt against d use of quran or bible bt ppl (politicians) shld b true to their words instead of hidding under religious cover
Re: 2 Reasons Why Your GPA Matters In Nigeria And 1 Reason Why It Doesn’t by adedolapo4(m): 9:57am On May 16, 2015
shachris02:
people would high GPAs would always be under people with low GPA. GPAs are crap.

pretty sure you had a verrrry low GPA or currently having one...

would have made sense if you had removed the 'always'

1 Like

Re: 2 Reasons Why Your GPA Matters In Nigeria And 1 Reason Why It Doesn’t by Nobody: 10:00am On May 16, 2015
e ni ti o mo way lo mo we
Re: 2 Reasons Why Your GPA Matters In Nigeria And 1 Reason Why It Doesn’t by Tobilastik(m): 10:06am On May 16, 2015
OK

if ur gp don shrink reach sin30 ..then you need JESUS

2 Likes

Re: 2 Reasons Why Your GPA Matters In Nigeria And 1 Reason Why It Doesn’t by shachris02: 10:06am On May 16, 2015
adedolapo4:

pretty sure you had a verrrry low GPA or currently having one...

would have made sense if you had removed the 'always'

the president of your country has first class abi? Dangote has first class abi? Abi Bill gate or carlos slim, the richest men in africa are first class graduates? When you graduate with a very high GPA, all your mindset would be to go find a very good job because you can't just let that fantastic GPA go to waste. I repeat, people with high GPAs would always be under people with low GPAs. That's the way the world works so you better deal with it.

11 Likes

Re: 2 Reasons Why Your GPA Matters In Nigeria And 1 Reason Why It Doesn’t by louiskay(m): 10:07am On May 16, 2015
its not always very easy ooo my people.... I have a projection of 4. and above...... but have been able to achieve the feet just for a semester alone..... the rest has been 3.8...... 3.6........ 3.6
not really impressive ooo....... but am still very grateful and I won't forfeit my proposed 4. I still have four semesters to GO ; grin

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

University Of Ibadan Distance Learning Latest News / Why Nigeria tertiary institutions are not attracting international students / Picture Of Oyibo Cheating In Exam

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.