Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,387 members, 7,800,784 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 06:41 AM

Banks Jittery Over Single Account As Buhari Takes Over - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Banks Jittery Over Single Account As Buhari Takes Over (34571 Views)

Naira Firm At 485 As Buhari Presents Record Budget - Fxmallam / Naira Loses N2 As Buhari Rejects Devaluation / Banks Jittery Over Low Cash Inflow (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Banks Jittery Over Single Account As Buhari Takes Over by Adesiji77: 6:32am On May 16, 2015
Nigerian lenders are jittery over the pending enforcement of the Treasury Single Account (TSA) of government by the incoming Buhari administration, BusinessDay interactions with operators have shown.

The fear stems from the fact that the implementation of this model, in addition to the tight monetary stance of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), would put a big squeeze on the banks.

“There is the fear of liquidity squeeze due to the likelihood of unification of government accounts by the incoming Buhari administration. The fear is borne out of the fact that with the Monetary Policy Rate at 13%, Cash Reserve Ratio (CRR) at 20% and 75% for private and public sector deposits respectively, its implementation would be tough for banks,” says a senior industry player.

Also, returns of lenders in Nigeria, Africa’s largest economy, driven substantially by net interest margins, would further be crimped by the TSA implementation.

This is because the single account, which is supposed to unify and monitor incoming and outgoing government transactions for transparency and accountability, will deny the banks of over N60billion funds belonging to Ministries, Departments and Agencies (MDAs) currently in the vaults of banks.

But the much touted stern stance of Buhari’s administration on corruption is sending jitters through the lender community, as they fear that its implementation may be on the prority agenda of government.

The argument is reinforced by the transparency that the implelemtation would bring to bear on Buhari’s government.

“In our opinion, the implementation of a Single Treasury Account (STA) is expected to block revenue leakages within the government parastatals as the Ministry of Finance will be able to monitor the inflows and outflows, hence augment the reduction in oil revenue due to falling oil prices,” says Ayodeji Ebo, analyst with Afrinvest Securities limited.

Chibuke Uche, member of the Monetary Poliocy Committee (MPC) in his recent contribution to deliberations at the meeting, said, “it has indeed become very clear that total economic restructuring is an urgent imperative. Although the falling oil price is making the fiscal space more complicated, I believe that there is still room for improvement.

“One area that can be easily improved upon is the reduction of wastages in government finances, which is as a result of poor financial management. By far the greatest single example of this, is the absence of the Treasury Single Account (TSA)”.

The outgoing government had failed to enforce the policy which would have compelled MDAs to transfer the multi-billion internally generated revenue into the Treasury Single Account despite the directive by Jonah Otunla, Accountant-General of the Federation, that all such monies be paid through electronic channels called e-Collection, directly to the Consolidated Revenue Fund at the CBN, through a process called the e-Collection. The deadline expired since February.

Efforts by the government through the CBN and Federal Ministry of Finance by engaging chief executives of MDAs and banks on the need for adherance to the policy failed, as the alliance between both parties was so strong that government could not make a headway.

Informed industry sources say that chief executives of some of the high revenue yielding government establishments are frustrating government’s moves towards single accounts because of their pecuniary interest from such deposits.

Some banks, including, tier one lenders, are said to be acting in similar vein because this channel provides them cheap funds through the mopping up of dollars and speculating, thereby putting pressure on the naira, which is now a major challenge for the CBN.

“While the outgoing government has failed in its efforts to help itself in plugging leakages in the system, especially in the face of low oil incomes, the opportunity has provided itself for Buhari to act fast, as soon as he assumes office and save the situation that has degenerated,” says an analyst.

“There is no way Buhari’s government will not be hard on the MDAs and banks which have been able to hold government to ransome as they refused to implement a policy that would have engendered confidence and transparency in governenace,” a banker told BusinessDay last night.

Explaining why the DMBs find it difficult to release the funds, Friday Ameh, an analyst, argued that the trapped government revenues are being round-tripped to purchase Forex and Treasury Bills.

“Why would government for instance go to banks to borrow money through Treasury Bills, when billions of its revenues are trapped in various accounts run by the agencies.”

Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, Co-ordinating Minister for the Economy and Finance Minister, who frowned at the development, said last year that the “objective of this conspiracy against the national interest is to keep government’s money in the accounts, earning interests for individuals at the expense of Federal Government and the Nigerian people.”

One banker however says, “I think the game may be up for us now.”
http://businessdayonline.com/2015/05/banks-jittery-over-single-account-as-buhari-takes-over/#.VVbVT_lViko

lalasticlala, Ishilove

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Banks Jittery Over Single Account As Buhari Takes Over by rottennaija(m): 6:46am On May 16, 2015
I think this year will be the best year we ever had...

59 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Banks Jittery Over Single Account As Buhari Takes Over by HonourablePomk: 10:14am On May 16, 2015
Change!!!

16 Likes

Re: Banks Jittery Over Single Account As Buhari Takes Over by Thespecialone(m): 10:15am On May 16, 2015
Absolutely brilliant.

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Banks Jittery Over Single Account As Buhari Takes Over by omenka(m): 10:16am On May 16, 2015
I believe this plan would improve transparency and accountability.

Everyone making last minute attempts to clean house. Buhari's image indeed precedes him. Not a finger lifted, yet people seem to be shitting in their pants already.

We are hopeful things will get much better in this country.

One banker however says, “I think the game may be up for us now.”
What a confession...

God bless Nigeria.

82 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Banks Jittery Over Single Account As Buhari Takes Over by chamboy(m): 10:16am On May 16, 2015
Re: Banks Jittery Over Single Account As Buhari Takes Over by Ochiske(m): 10:16am On May 16, 2015
In other news, Oshiomole and His wife's Honeymoon at Miami beach gringrin

75 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Banks Jittery Over Single Account As Buhari Takes Over by Judolisco(m): 10:16am On May 16, 2015
m jst waiting nd watching in 3d
Re: Banks Jittery Over Single Account As Buhari Takes Over by abbeyoye2001(m): 10:16am On May 16, 2015
Sai baba

4 Likes

Re: Banks Jittery Over Single Account As Buhari Takes Over by oghenetega100(f): 10:17am On May 16, 2015
Tension everywhere cheesy
Re: Banks Jittery Over Single Account As Buhari Takes Over by lonelydora: 10:17am On May 16, 2015
I'm not a banker so I don't understand anything being said here. Whatever that will make Nigeria great again is wholly supported by me. We have been rubbished by other countries just because we hold Nigerian passport.

Nigeria ga adi nma ozo. Insha Allahu. ...

26 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Banks Jittery Over Single Account As Buhari Takes Over by millionboi(m): 10:18am On May 16, 2015
Gud
Re: Banks Jittery Over Single Account As Buhari Takes Over by shortgun(m): 10:18am On May 16, 2015
Ok, APC will deny this report tomorrow.

Buhari never said he will probe anybody.

Buhari never promised to make naira equal to dollar

Buhari didn't say he will finish Boko Haram in 1 month.

Buhari cannot perform miracles.

Buhari cannot improve the economy in 100days.

Buhari can't pay 5,000 to unemployed youths.

What exactly can Buhari do

9 Likes

Re: Banks Jittery Over Single Account As Buhari Takes Over by sanandreas(m): 10:18am On May 16, 2015
If it will be for the good of Nigerians please go ahead

2 Likes

Re: Banks Jittery Over Single Account As Buhari Takes Over by CoolKizzy(m): 10:18am On May 16, 2015
unification of government account is a Goodluck Jonathan Initiative and has been on the verge of implementation before the election.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Banks Jittery Over Single Account As Buhari Takes Over by okooloyun1(m): 10:18am On May 16, 2015
Re: Banks Jittery Over Single Account As Buhari Takes Over by gbaskiboy: 10:19am On May 16, 2015
Coming to make comment ASAP!
Re: Banks Jittery Over Single Account As Buhari Takes Over by shachris02: 10:19am On May 16, 2015
Anything that would fix Nigeria. if single account would stop the rot in the system, so be it.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Banks Jittery Over Single Account As Buhari Takes Over by millionboi(m): 10:20am On May 16, 2015
abbeyoye2001:
Sai baba
baba is 2old 2handle d affair of dis country.....datz my fear
Re: Banks Jittery Over Single Account As Buhari Takes Over by ahiarah: 10:21am On May 16, 2015
A good move by the incoming govt.
Re: Banks Jittery Over Single Account As Buhari Takes Over by Haywhymido(m): 10:21am On May 16, 2015
Oh what a pity, i remember to bring my glasses but 4got to bring patience to read thru d passage, along with me
Re: Banks Jittery Over Single Account As Buhari Takes Over by showbobo(m): 10:21am On May 16, 2015
Nigerians aren't incorrigible as we all thought. . .Buhari hasn't uttered a word yet and we're all sitting right. . .

1 Like

Re: Banks Jittery Over Single Account As Buhari Takes Over by DExplorer1: 10:22am On May 16, 2015
I just love the policies of the Buhari's administration. This man is very much aware of his environ. He's also aware that these parastatals do make back-yard arrangement and mysterous missing funds that President Jonathan could not account for but had to cover up is about to come to end with Buhari in power.

It's a shame Jonathan could not keep a close watch over his parastatals and no wonder so many money was stolen under his nose. Even the energy put into the last minute sacking of these agencies bosses prove me right.

Sai Buhari, your policies are so on point. Now we operate, single treasury account. No back-door withdrawals, no multiple and unaccounted for accounts.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Banks Jittery Over Single Account As Buhari Takes Over by akins56(m): 10:22am On May 16, 2015
Buhari's name lasan is enough to clean Nigeria of corruption by at least 35%!

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Banks Jittery Over Single Account As Buhari Takes Over by Sunnybobo3(m): 10:23am On May 16, 2015
Everybody shouting Change and Sai Baba here seem to be ignorant of the fact the policy of running a single government account was made by the present government with an implementation time line.

6 Likes

Re: Banks Jittery Over Single Account As Buhari Takes Over by obynaDmob(m): 10:23am On May 16, 2015
I understand just about 10% of the post... undecided

1 Like

Re: Banks Jittery Over Single Account As Buhari Takes Over by cilifa: 10:23am On May 16, 2015
omenka:
I believe this plan would improve transparency and accountability.

Everyone making last minute attempts to clean house. Buhari's image indeed precedes him. Not a finger lifted, yet people seem to be shitting in their pants already.

We are hopeful things will get much better in this country.

God bless Nigeria.

The fear of Buhari is the begining of positive change.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Banks Jittery Over Single Account As Buhari Takes Over by Sweetguy25: 10:23am On May 16, 2015
“Why would government for instance go to banks to borrow money through Treasury Bills, when billions of its revenues are trapped in various accounts run by the agencies.”

This is something Henry Boyo has been complaining about like forever. Banks collect government revenue at almost zero percent interest and federal government borrows money from banks at over 7 percent interest.

The Nigerian economy is a huge joke. Nigeria's monetary policy is absolutely useless, all central bank governors we've ever had were an utter waste of time. How do we expect Nigeria to develop economically when interest rates are still over 16 percent and inflation at 10 percent?

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Banks Jittery Over Single Account As Buhari Takes Over by umarc19: 10:23am On May 16, 2015
Nice move

Buhari do all it takes to curtail their loots.
Re: Banks Jittery Over Single Account As Buhari Takes Over by ifeelgood: 10:23am On May 16, 2015
GOOD
Re: Banks Jittery Over Single Account As Buhari Takes Over by intergral(m): 10:24am On May 16, 2015
Ok seen
Re: Banks Jittery Over Single Account As Buhari Takes Over by galantjoe(m): 10:25am On May 16, 2015
i believe that buhari will seal this leakage. soludo was right when he said govt loose over N50trillion every month.
individuals holding govt at ransome.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

CBN Weakens Naira To 307/dollar For First Time (dailytrust) / Urgent : Corporate Affairs Commission - Name Search And Incorporation / How can I stop being broke in 2020?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.