Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,816 members, 7,802,619 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 05:30 PM

Can A Christian Become An Atheist ? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Can A Christian Become An Atheist ? (5479 Views)

Why A Christian Girl Converted To Islam (Photo) / Mark Zuckerberg Is Not An Atheist? / How Do I Tell People I Am An Atheist? Help! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can A Christian Become An Atheist ? by elantraceey(f): 5:17pm On May 17, 2015
Happy Sunday everyone , This post is going to be long so if you're a lazy reader just click back now, no need to remind me.

To me a real christian can never be an atheist , Here's why.

I will start from defining the words-christian and atheist.

Who is an atheist ?

According to free dictionary , an atheist is someone who doesn't believe in God or gods or a person who denies or disbelieve the existence of a supreme being .

Who is a Christian?
According to wikipedia, A Christian is a person who adheres to Christianity, an Abrahamic, monotheistic religion based on the life and teachings of Jesus of Nazareth.

But biblically the word 'christian' was first mentioned in Acts 11:26, Which is the Greek word 'Christianos ' meaning follower of christ. Here the word was used to address the disciples after they've preached at Antioch.

Now who is a disciple of Jesus ?
According john 8:31 Jesus described his disciples as those that not only hear his word but continues in them that is abide in them and do them. But before you can be able to abide in the word and the word in you there's a process which is first to be born again .

Many people miss being born again and be saved and see them as one but no they are not one. You have to first be saved before you can be born again , Romans 10:9 talks about how to be saved while john 3 explains how to be born again but that's not the topic now so I won't further on that .

So in all essense a christian is practical a disciple of christ who listens, believe and abides in the word and also does it. Many people have no problem with the first two but with the last two which is abiding and doing .

How do you know a christian ?
Jesus said before he ascended in Mark 16:17-18 - And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues; [18] They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.

And also in John 14:12 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father.

So in essence if you've never done any of the above then you're not a christian.

I've come to know that going to church everyday, praying and even to reading the bible doesn't make one a christian , there are principles just as there are principles in the world today.

Why did have to write this out? It is because there are many people living in delusion and they just don't know it and the number of 'church goers' become atheist is on the increase daily and we don't just know it because we don't see it, whether we believed it or not we are in the last days and devil is devising means to draw people to himself more than ever before and he starts from their mind. This is a period where no Christian should be without the holy spirit because his the only part of the God head and he's here to comfort us , guide us in all truth and strengthened us in times of trials . If Jesus couldn't do without him , why should we think we can do without him? I'm making emphasis on this because every Christian's faith is going to be tried with diverse test and challenges even to some that will make you question the existence of God , if you've not gotten there just wait, you'll get there soon, the only way one can stay strong is through a constant fellowship with the holy spirit , How can God direct you and give you instructions when you can't even hear him?

At this time there's a need for awakening in the church , its high time we stop attacking yourself or judging and critising ourselves and come together as one body of Christ , Its high time Christians wake up and stop being study and prayer lazy because we need redeem the time for the days are evil . God wants to touch each and everyone of us , he wants to show us his love , he wants to live in us and work through us, its not difficult , all that is needed is a ready heart.

Now back to the topic, A Christian who have experienced God for himself and God have worked miracles through his own hands can never wake up one morning and deny the power he has felt and has worked through him, the worse that can happen to him is him backsliding and going back to the world but he cannot say there is no God .

This is the reason why every need to know God for themselves and experience the presence of God in their daily lives, not just readers but doers and partakers .

I dream of a church where;

1. Even the least will be able to heal the sick and raise the dead because Jesus said that the whole of the old testament none is greater than John the Baptist but still the least in the kingdom of God shall be greater than him, that kingdom is not in heaven but on earth .
2. God's love purely and wholely exists and is practiced by every single member in the church , where there is no iota of hate.
3. Sin doesn't exist and every single person can boldly say I am the righteousness of God in Christ Jesus .
4. Everyone speaks to each other in tongues and they understand cheesy

And don't get it twisted this is not just a dream but it is a vision that's going to be manifested here on earth .

10 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Can A Christian Become An Atheist ? by nobilis: 5:21pm On May 17, 2015
why are you Christians obsessed with Atheists?
Why does the existence of Atheists give you sleepless nights?

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can A Christian Become An Atheist ? by elantraceey(f): 5:23pm On May 17, 2015
nobilis:
why are you Christians obsessed with Atheists?
Why do the exsitence of Atheists give you sleepless nights?

Well I think the reverse is the case.

3 Likes

Re: Can A Christian Become An Atheist ? by 47xxx(m): 5:41pm On May 17, 2015
I share ur dreams. . even thou I dont think its feasible
Re: Can A Christian Become An Atheist ? by Ranchhoddas: 11:09pm On May 17, 2015
Look up 'the no true scotsman fallacy'...

8 Likes

Re: Can A Christian Become An Atheist ? by bassette(m): 11:19pm On May 17, 2015
elantraceey:
Happy Sunday everyone , This post is going to be long so if you're a lazy reader just click back now, no need to remind me.

Who is an atheist ?

According to free dictionary , an atheist is someone who doesn't believe in God or gods or a person who denies or disbelieve the existence of a supreme being .

Who is a Christian?
According to wikipedia, A Christian is a person who adheres to Christianity, an Abrahamic, monotheistic religion based on the life and teachings of Jesus of Nazareth.

But biblically the word 'christian' was first mentioned in Acts 11:26, Which is the Greek word 'Christianos ' meaning follower of christ. Here the word was used to address the disciples after they've preached at Antioch.

According john 8:31 Jesus described his disciples as those that not only hear his word but continues in them that is abide in them and do them. But before you can be able to abide in the word and the word in you there's a process which is first to be born again .

Many people miss being born again and be saved and see them as one but no they are not one. You have to first be saved before you can be born again , Romans 10:9 talks about how to be saved while john 3 explains how to be born again but that's not the topic now so I won't further on that .

So in all essense a christian is practical a disciple of christ who listens, believe and abides in the word and also does it. Many people have no problem with the first two but with the last two which is abiding and doing .

Jesus said before he ascended in Mark 16:17-18 - And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues; [18] They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.

And also in John 14:12 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father.

So in essence if you've never done any of the above then you're not a christian.

I've come to know that going to church everyday, praying and even to reading the bible doesn't make one a christian , there are principles just as there are principles in the world today.

Why did have to write this out? It is because there are many people living in delusion and they just don't know it and the number of 'church goers' become atheist is on the increase daily and we don't just know it because we don't see it, whether we believed it or not we are in the last days and devil is devising means to draw people to himself more than ever before and he starts from their mind. This is a period where no Christian should be without the holy spirit because his the only part of the God head and he's here to comfort us , guide us in all truth and strengthened us in times of trials . If Jesus couldn't do without him , why should we think we can do without him? I'm making emphasis on this because every Christian's faith is going to be tried with diverse test and challenges even to some that will make you question the existence of God , if you've not gotten there just wait, you'll get there soon, the only way one can stay strong is through a constant fellowship with the holy spirit , How can God direct you and give you instructions when you can't even hear him?

At this time there's a need for awakening in the church , its high time we stop attacking yourself or judging and critising ourselves and come together as one body of Christ , Its high time Christians wake up and stop being study and prayer lazy because we need redeem the time for the days are evil . God wants to touch each and everyone of us , he wants to show us his love , he wants to live in us and work through us, its not difficult , all that is needed is a ready heart.

Now back to the topic, A Christian who have experienced God for himself and God have worked miracles through his own hands can never wake up one morning and deny the power he has felt and has worked through him, the worse that can happen to him is him backsliding and going back to the world but he cannot say there is no God .

This is the reason why every need to know God for themselves and experience the presence of God in their daily lives, not just readers but doers and partakers .

1. Even the least will be able to heal the sick and raise the dead because Jesus said that the whole of the old testament none is greater than John the Baptist but still the least in the kingdom of God shall be greater than him, that kingdom is not in heaven but on earth .
2. God's love purely and wholely exists and is practiced by every single member in the church , where there is no iota of hate.
3. Sin doesn't exist and every single person can boldly say I am the righteousness of God in Christ Jesus .

And don't get it twisted this is not just a dream but it is a vision that's going to be manifested here on earth .

i love u girl... God bles you for this...kindly grant request to share
Re: Can A Christian Become An Atheist ? by davien(m): 12:55am On May 18, 2015
I was a church worker(a very actively preaching one) with both my parents being deacons....so does that mean I wasn't a "christian" to you? undecided
In any case you're argument is purely based on your personal subjective view of who or what you think a "christian" should be like(something not all Christians agree on)....

You're among the;
A Christian can't drink,steal,lie,kill,fornicate or do any bad/terrible thing,of which I and others are very aware that you("Christians". ) do.

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Can A Christian Become An Atheist ? by mmsen: 12:57am On May 18, 2015
Jonathan Edwards:

'Having left his sport as a dyed-in-the-wool evangelical, Edwards is now, to all intents and purposes, an atheist.'

'"Once you start asking yourself questions like, 'How do I really know there is a God?' you are already on the path to unbelief," Edwards says. "During my documentary on St Paul, some experts raised the possibility that his spectacular conversion on the road to Damascus might have been caused by an epileptic fit. It made me realise that I had taken things for granted that were taught to me as a child without subjecting them to any kind of analysis. When you think about it rationally, it does seem incredibly improbable that there is a God."'

The upheaval of recent months has not left Edwards emotionally scarred, at least not visibly. "I am not unhappy about the fact that there might not be a God," he says. "I don't feel that my life has a big, gaping hole in it. In some ways I feel more human than I ever have. There is more reality in my existence than when I was full-on as a believer. [1]

"If there is no God, does that mean that life has no purpose? Does it mean that personal existence ends at death? They are thoughts that do my head in. One thing that I can say, however, is that even if I am unable to discover some fundamental purpose to life, this will not give me a reason to return to Christianity. Just because something is unpalatable does not mean that it is not true."

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can A Christian Become An Atheist ? by elantraceey(f): 7:03am On May 18, 2015
davien:
I was a church worker(a very actively preaching one) with both my parents being deacons....so does that mean I wasn't a "christian" to you? undecided
In any case you're argument is purely based on your personal subjective view of who or what you think a "christian" should be like(something not all Christians agree on)....

You're among the;
A Christian can't drink,steal,lie,kill,fornicate or do any bad/terrible thing,of which I and others are very aware that you("Christians". ) do.

Don't mistake walking for God with working with God they're different , Real Christians walk with God and not just for him, his not interested in your service as much as he is interested in fellowship.

As for the latter nope I'm not, I'm just a Christian who loves God because he first loved me and all this things doesn't matter to me.

2 Likes

Re: Can A Christian Become An Atheist ? by davien(m): 7:48am On May 18, 2015
elantraceey:

Don't mistake walking for God with working with God they're different , Real Christians walk with God and not just for him, his not interested in your service as much as he is interested in fellowship.
whichever way you put it it doesn't matter because to you a "christian" couldn't possibly be an theist which is even fallacious by your own theology(seeing that doubt is a sin,so does that mean no christian doubts/sin? undecided )

If a christian can sin and doubt is a sin then by logical deduction Christians can be Atheists....

As for the latter nope I'm not, I'm just a Christian who loves God because he first loved me and all this things doesn't matter to me.
On the contrary you are....you've picked your own set of standards by which you think someone called a "Christian" should follow or be like...

You're argument is akin to "no true Muslim/Christian can do or be A/B"

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can A Christian Become An Atheist ? by Nobody: 8:39am On May 18, 2015
before Christianity what were the early inhabitants of this world practicing?

3 Likes

Re: Can A Christian Become An Atheist ? by elantraceey(f): 9:29am On May 18, 2015
davien:
whichever way you put it it doesn't matter because to you a "christian" couldn't possibly be an theist which is even fallacious by your own theology(seeing that doubt is a sin,so does that mean no christian doubts/sin? undecided )

If a christian can sin and doubt is a sin then by logical deduction Christians can be Atheists....

On the contrary you are....you've picked your own set of standards by which you think someone called a "Christian" should follow or be like...

You're argument is akin to "no true Muslim/Christian can do or be A/B"

Not all theist are Christians because someone could believe God exists but don't worship him .

It depends on your definition of 'sin' .

Na I didn't pick my own standard , I only gave the Bible/God's standard .

1 Like

Re: Can A Christian Become An Atheist ? by davien(m): 10:26am On May 18, 2015
elantraceey:

Not all theist are Christians because someone could believe God exists but don't worship him .
Did I claim all theists are Christians?

It depends on your definition of 'sin' .
Okay then...under any definition of "sin",is doubt included?

Na I didn't pick my own standard , I only gave the Bible/God's standard .
The bible doesn't speak for itself,it's interpreted by the reader and thus open to any form of interpretation of which yours is a christian can't be an atheist...
Re: Can A Christian Become An Atheist ? by elantraceey(f): 3:31pm On May 18, 2015
davien:
Did I claim all theists are Christians?
Okay then...under any definition of "sin",is doubt included?

The bible doesn't speak for itself,it's interpreted by the reader and thus open to any form of interpretation of which yours is a christian can't be an atheist...

To the best and my knowledge nope.

The bible speaks for itself , it has its own voice which is the holy spirit.

1 Like

Re: Can A Christian Become An Atheist ? by davien(m): 3:52pm On May 18, 2015
elantraceey:

If that were true then Christianity wouldn't have 40,000+ denominations all based on the bible....

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Can A Christian Become An Atheist ? by elantraceey(f): 3:59pm On May 18, 2015
davien:
If that were true then Christianity wouldn't have 40,000+ denominations all based on the bible....

If we both attend a birthday party and we're told to give retell what the opening speaker said, are we going to say it the same way?

2 Likes

Re: Can A Christian Become An Atheist ? by Karleb(m): 4:00pm On May 18, 2015
If you became a Christian because your parent are Christian or because someone converted you, yes!

Sorry, I didn't read your long post.
Re: Can A Christian Become An Atheist ? by tartar9(m): 4:10pm On May 18, 2015
elantraceey:

Who is an atheist ?

Who is a Christian?

grin grin grin grin
only Jesus is a Christian then

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Can A Christian Become An Atheist ? by davien(m): 4:12pm On May 18, 2015
elantraceey:

If we both attend a birthday party and we're told to give retell what the opening speaker said, are we going to say it the same way?
Good point....on that account...Christianity was spotted by oral tradition for a great number of years...and as you and I know(apparent by your reply) whatever information that was passed across would be prone to interpolation and misinterpretation...

2 Likes

Re: Can A Christian Become An Atheist ? by elantraceey(f): 4:13pm On May 18, 2015
tartar9:
only Jesus is a Christian then
Nope, Jesus is not a Christian.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can A Christian Become An Atheist ? by tartar9(m): 4:14pm On May 18, 2015
elantraceey:

Nope, Jesus is not a Christian.
but you know what I mean

1 Like

Re: Can A Christian Become An Atheist ? by elantraceey(f): 4:16pm On May 18, 2015
davien:
Good point....on that account...Christianity was spotted by oral tradition for a great number of years...and as you and I know(apparent by your reply) whatever information that was passed across would be prone to interpolation and misinterpretation...

The old testament is what was spotted by oral tradition but the new testament was written by the original writers themselves.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Can A Christian Become An Atheist ? by elantraceey(f): 4:18pm On May 18, 2015
tartar9:
but you know what I mean

I don't or are you trying to say there's no man who possess those qualities today?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can A Christian Become An Atheist ? by herald9: 5:28pm On May 18, 2015
davien:
easy man angry
Re: Can A Christian Become An Atheist ? by herald9: 5:30pm On May 18, 2015
elantraceey:

what's the function of the holy spirit then...is it not to coordinate?

2 Likes

Re: Can A Christian Become An Atheist ? by philfearon(m): 5:33pm On May 18, 2015
elantraceey:

You just have a Christian mindset..That's all! Its simple psychology!
When u do something that is against what your mind has built into what you call "conscience" as right or wrong,it pricks you..
Another thing is,religion is location based..
Say u were burn in China,now would ya be here preaching Christianity?
I guess when u think u have sinned,u go into a room or stay wherever and imagine that a being somewhere is hearing you confess.With that in mind,you tell yourself that you have been forgiven.....Where u forgiven by that being or did u forgive urself believing that a being somewhere forgave you?
Simple Psychology!!

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Can A Christian Become An Atheist ? by onetrack(m): 5:38pm On May 18, 2015
elantraceey:

At this time there's a need for awakening in the church , its high time we stop attacking yourself or judging and critising ourselves and come together as one body of Christ

This has never happened. Christians have been arguing among themselves since the death of Jesus about, well, just about everything. Coming together as one always has a nice sound to it, but I don't think Catholics and Protestants and Orthodox are going to unify without settling who is 'correct'. Good luck with that.

6 Likes

Re: Can A Christian Become An Atheist ? by philfearon(m): 5:39pm On May 18, 2015
elantraceey:

The old testament is what was spotted by oral tradition but the new testament was written by the original writers themselves.
Highest point of Fallacy.....Don't ya think?

4 Likes

Re: Can A Christian Become An Atheist ? by macof(m): 6:47pm On May 18, 2015
herald9:

what's the function of the holy spirit then...is it not to coordinate?

according to elantraceey's thesis I can assume holy spirit hasn't done a good job

8 Likes

Re: Can A Christian Become An Atheist ? by macof(m): 6:51pm On May 18, 2015
elantraceey:

big lie. I think you need to learn the history of Christianity before yyou make such statements

3 Likes

Re: Can A Christian Become An Atheist ? by johnydon22(m): 6:55pm On May 18, 2015
elantraceey:

The old testament is what was spotted by oral tradition but [size=20] the new testament was written by the original writers themselves[/size].

Hahahahahaha i see....The bolded is enough to see that elentaceey is really quite innocently naive about Christianity and the biblesmiley

You don't really know much about the bible, do you?wink

5 Likes

Re: Can A Christian Become An Atheist ? by macof(m): 7:04pm On May 18, 2015
elantraceey:

elantraceey:

what then is the holy spirit for? God put that mechanism in place to coordinate the church didn't he?
the holy spirit hasn't made its voice clear enough. ..therefore it's a failed project like many other projects embarked on by Jehova

7 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Why I Can Never Be An Atheist. / Christmas: When The Son Of Man Returns, Shall He Still Find Faith On Earth? / Islam's Perspective On Anal, MouthAction, Sex Positions Etc

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 146
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.