Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,737 members, 7,802,219 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:14 AM

Jason Njoku Might Have Created A New Baseline For Developer Salaries In Nigeria - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Jason Njoku Might Have Created A New Baseline For Developer Salaries In Nigeria (1091 Views)

I Created A Social Chat App For Android Users / Jason Njoku Might Have Created A New Baseline For Developer Salaries In Nigeria / Jason Njoku Is Recruiting, To Give 1M To The Person With Highest Score (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jason Njoku Might Have Created A New Baseline For Developer Salaries In Nigeria by matrix4u(m): 7:42am On May 18, 2015
Jason Njoku has declared that iROKO will pays its developers between N150,000 (USD 753.58) and N400,000 (USD 2010) a month, and they’re willing to pay more, if the coders are exceptionally good.

"Engineers at @irokotvwill be earning between N150k (min) and N400k. If we find super dupa stars. We will pay more. We’re looking for 22 "
— JasonNjoku (@JasonNjoku) May 8, 2015

It has officially become a developer arms race in which Nigerian tech and internet companies are doing all they can to attract talented developers. And not just any kind, but the best.

Just two days ago, Jason invited developers to take a “simple coding test” for a chance to win and walk away with NGN 1 million.

According to a 2014 Stack Overflow survey, there may be around 25,000 developers in Nigeria, although it is instructive to note that they might not all be active.

As Nigeria’s tech and internet sector expands, the paucity of talent at scale is beginning to pinch. Companies are having to hire developers that already work at other companies, more often than not enticing them with better salaries.

When compared to their Silicon Valley counterparts, Nigerian developers clearly earn peanuts. But that might not be a fair comparison, considering the different economic contexts. Nevertheless, there appears to be consensus that Nigerian developer salaries could be better. And since it appears that the demand for developers is getting higher than the supply, developer salaries are likely go up. Companies will have to raise wages or watch their talent abandon their fold for greener pastures.

It has in fact begun. Nigerian startup execs are saying that Konga is the biggest “poacher” of developer talent, because it can afford to pay them more than the average technology company in Nigeria. (we have contacted Konga for comment).

Jason is the first to openly state how much a company pays developers. It’s still an ongoing debatehow much developers should receive, considering the unique dynamics of Nigeria’s nascent ICT and internet industries.

UPDATE:
On reaching out to Konga, this was the reply we received from a representative, “Konga is willing to pay a premium to attract and retain top tech talent in Nigeria”.

There’s an ongoing discussion on Radar about how much Nigerian Developers earn. Go on over to join in. Everyone is invited.

Source: http://techcabal.com/2015/05/08/jason-njoku-might-have-created-a-new-baseline-for-developer-salaries-in-nigeria/
Re: Jason Njoku Might Have Created A New Baseline For Developer Salaries In Nigeria by bigtt76(f): 7:44am On May 18, 2015
Na today? It won't hold water jaaaaaaare!
Re: Jason Njoku Might Have Created A New Baseline For Developer Salaries In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:55am On May 18, 2015
bigtt76:
Na today? It won't hold water jaaaaaaare!

It will.

As a matter of fact ICT companies will pay better than banks and even compete with Oil companies as their business becomes become more lucrative in the coming years.
Re: Jason Njoku Might Have Created A New Baseline For Developer Salaries In Nigeria by GodMode: 8:34am On May 18, 2015
Brandnew2:

It will.

As a matter of fact ICT companies will pay better than banks and even compete with Oil companies as their business becomes become more lucrative in the coming years.

Why are you talking about what companies pay

There are lots of programmers earning millions but they don't make noise about itangryangryangry

Go and check out the app stores, those programmers earn their money themselvesangry
Re: Jason Njoku Might Have Created A New Baseline For Developer Salaries In Nigeria by GbengaPs(m): 8:39am On May 18, 2015
Good to know demand is getting higher than supply. One just has to beready (and I mean ready) when the opportunity comes. Nigeria will lead the tech market in Africa (if she is not already).
Re: Jason Njoku Might Have Created A New Baseline For Developer Salaries In Nigeria by bigtt76(f): 12:07pm On May 18, 2015
You're right .....'as their business becomes become more lucrative in the coming years' but when will that be naa? With the way government and her MDAs keep shifting the goal posts to suit their ego? angry Ar taya for dem all o!

Brandnew2:

It will.

Re: Jason Njoku Might Have Created A New Baseline For Developer Salaries In Nigeria by Nobody: 12:19pm On May 18, 2015
@Bigtt77 Trust me it will.

The market has no other choice than to grow.

Check out so many new web and mobile Apps coming into the market.

MTN for instance has it's own App store and guess who they employ to develop these Apps.

I was listening to a couple of unilag students conversation as they asserted that the Nigerian market is still going to boom just like Nollywood.

They claimed right now the market is at a point Nollywood was years ago. Now we have internationally recognized actors and actresses. The same thing will apply to the ICT industry and programmers/tech companies.

Trust me It's already happening. Check Jobberman for instance. The co-founder was my personal friend and we shared the same hostel back in school.

Look at them today.

Same also applies to countless number of start ups.
Re: Jason Njoku Might Have Created A New Baseline For Developer Salaries In Nigeria by GodMode: 12:40pm On May 18, 2015
Brandnew2:

MTN for instance has it's own App store and guess who they employ to develop these Apps.

I was listening to a couple of unilag students conversation as they asserted that the Nigerian market is still going to boom just like Nollywood.

They claimed right now the market is at a point Nollywood was years ago. Now we have internationally recognized actors and actresses. The same thing will apply to the ICT industry and programmers/tech companies.

Trust me It's already happening. Check Jobberman for instance. The co-founder was my personal friend and we shared the same hostel back in school.

Look at them today.

Liesangryangry

Its already Appeningangryangryangry

There's a difference between entertainment and technology...

A very good artiste would be rich and famous.
Its by force to be famousangryangryangry

While

A very good coder would be rich and reserved. Its not by force to be famousgringringringringringrin

1 Like

Re: Jason Njoku Might Have Created A New Baseline For Developer Salaries In Nigeria by Nobody: 1:53pm On May 18, 2015
No one is talking about Fame here. I said they will be known. There's a big difference.
Yeah I know celebs thrive on fame.
Re: Jason Njoku Might Have Created A New Baseline For Developer Salaries In Nigeria by GodMode: 2:13pm On May 18, 2015
there's no difference btw been known and fameangryangry
Re: Jason Njoku Might Have Created A New Baseline For Developer Salaries In Nigeria by codeaddict(m): 6:54pm On May 18, 2015
Putting up as much effort as demanded in most of these tech firms, on your own stuff, would get you something equal or more. undecided

1 Like

Re: Jason Njoku Might Have Created A New Baseline For Developer Salaries In Nigeria by talk2hb1(m): 9:28pm On May 18, 2015
Brandnew2:

Look at them today.

I love the part of the Nollywood industry, maybe we call it Silicon Garden our own Technology City/Industry just like the Silicon Valley. By 2020 top the price of Internet access will drop drastically, more and more business will be technologically dependent, and their shall be shortage of able body hands, more oversea job will find its way down here, The ICT industry will attract global ICT big boys. Let me just stop showing all my card after gazing into my Crystal Ball.
Regards Habeeb Salami

(1) (Reply)

Entice Your Customers For Online Shopping With Magento / How To Create Custom Audio Media Player With HTML5 And Jquery / Which Is More Lucrative In Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.