Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,861 members, 7,802,766 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:07 PM

Will You Borrow Money To Have An Elaborate Wedding. - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Will You Borrow Money To Have An Elaborate Wedding. (1791 Views)

When Your Mother Takes All Her Money To Pastors / Wed Now On A Low Key Or Wait For Two Years For Elaborate Wedding(ladies) / Is It Ideal Having Another Elaborate Wedding After A Wife/Husband Is Dead? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Will You Borrow Money To Have An Elaborate Wedding. by Nobody: 6:53pm On May 18, 2015
A friend of mine called me up that she is having issues with her wedding preparation. She and her fiance went with their budget to meet the guy's mum. After going through the budget the woman said they have to increase the budget. Her reason being that their budget was too mediocre. She cant afford for her fellow women to think she is middle class. She has been pushing her son to take a bank loan of which my friend is totally against. This is causing a serious rift and has put wedding plans on hold. Her future mother-inlaw now sees her as the enemy. Should she give in and go ahead with her marriage

Initial budget was about 3 mill.. mum in law wants an upgrade of 5 mill . She is willing to offer 1 Mill. So the remaining has to be taken as a loan. The 5 mill was even after series of arguments...
Re: Will You Borrow Money To Have An Elaborate Wedding. by Nobody: 7:12pm On May 18, 2015
Tell ur friend that a married nairalander advised thus;
**** that ceremony is just a show.after the ceremony when the real marriage starts,she will barely remember d glamorous wedding cos marriage can overwhelm an ill prepared person.
**** tell her to plan ahead,for her home cos after that ceremony,reality kicks in and God help them if all they ever planned towards was a day occasion.

I have lot. To say but I dey cook.lol. In a nut shell, 1 mill is more than enof.....it's even too much foe ggoodness sake

2 Likes

Re: Will You Borrow Money To Have An Elaborate Wedding. by Nobody: 7:45pm On May 18, 2015
Platnum1:
**** that ceremony is just a show.after the ceremony when the real marriage starts,she will barely remember d glamorous wedding cos marriage can overwhelm an ill prepared person.
**** tell her to plan ahead,for her home cos after that ceremony,reality kicks in and God help them if all they ever planned towards was a day occasion.

I have lot. To say but I dey cook.lol. In a nut shell, 1 mill is more than enof.....it's even too much foe ggoodness sake

My dear I gave her same advice. But she is getting depressed cos the mum inlaw is putting a lot of pressure. And she is just discovering the huge effect the woman has on her son.

I decided to open a thread on this because a lot off people are getting carried away on this issue. Let me allow you to cook jare grin

1 Like

Re: Will You Borrow Money To Have An Elaborate Wedding. by sunnydayasaba(m): 7:47pm On May 18, 2015
Afterall she's the guys mum, Let her take a loan in her name and properties if she wants an upgraded wedding for her son.

Na waoo.....Is the guy mummy's boy that he has to even listen to the mum to plan his own marriage. Na waoo
Re: Will You Borrow Money To Have An Elaborate Wedding. by rawpadgin(m): 7:59pm On May 18, 2015
5milla!

for what na?

wen my married friends are advising me not to spend more than 500k
Re: Will You Borrow Money To Have An Elaborate Wedding. by Nobody: 8:02pm On May 18, 2015
Ceeesaw:

My dear I gave her same advice. But she is getting depressed cos the mum inlaw is putting a lot of pressure. And she is just discovering the huge effect the woman has on her son.

I decided to open a thread on this because a lot off people are getting carried away on this issue. Let me allow you to cook jare grin
Oh thats sad. Her husband will have to realize from his mistake eventually. It's really sad.
Re: Will You Borrow Money To Have An Elaborate Wedding. by Nobody: 8:04pm On May 18, 2015
sunnydayasaba:
Afterall she's the guys mum, Let her take a loan in her name and properties if she wants an upgraded wedding for her son.

Na waoo.....Is the guy mummy's boy that he has to even listen to the mum to plan his own marriage. Na waoo
God bless you
Re: Will You Borrow Money To Have An Elaborate Wedding. by Ewuro4: 8:21pm On May 18, 2015
rawpadgin:
5milla!

for what na?

Hahaha , see life? Good for you jare.

OP , No. I don't chew more than I can swallow.

I thought parents foot the wedding bills? I guess that changed too.. Every moral /tradition that makes sense are fading away & going extinct.

That MIL is enemy of progress. They should elope lipsrsealed ( I don't mean that)
Re: Will You Borrow Money To Have An Elaborate Wedding. by FinNews: 8:27pm On May 18, 2015
Ceeesaw:
A friend of mine called me up that she is having issues with her wedding preparation. She and her fiance went with their budget to meet the guy's mum. After going through the budget the woman said they have to increase the budget. Her reason being that their budget was too mediocre. She cant afford for her fellow women to think she is middle class. She has been pushing her son to take a bank loan of which my friend is totally against. This is causing a serious rift and has put wedding plans on hold. Her future mother-inlaw now sees her as the enemy. Should she give in and go ahead with her marriage

Initial budget was about 3 mill.. mum in law wants an upgrade of 5 mill . She is willing to offer 1 Mill. So the remaining has to be taken as a loan. The 5 mill was even after series of arguments...

@ OP I am happy this surprise package came from the guys mother, if not people will ask the guy to leave the girl and marry another person. Anyway, the guy should ask his mum to bring more money because 1M is too small if she really meant business. It is very sad the way most parents behave nowadays. Imagine, 5million that guests will just eat in a day and leave to gossip about you!

After my wedding, I was shocked when I saw that some guests gave me back the cards in an envelop just to take a souvenir angry At the church premises, my wedding card littered everywhere because some guests sat on it or used it as sun shade while waiting to snap picture with us cheesy I was sad because I bought the most expensive card and refused to listen to the advise my married friends gave to me then. My regret is that I should have channeled the money to something else if I had listened, and not try to impress some people.

Please, tell your friend to be firm and stick to his budget. His mum will not leave with them after wedding oh!
His mum can use his 1million to entertain her guest very well on that day. He should be focused and spend wisely because when quarrel start after wedding his guests will not contribute 1 kobo.

I wish them luck!

2 Likes

Re: Will You Borrow Money To Have An Elaborate Wedding. by Nobody: 8:43pm On May 18, 2015
FinNews:

@ OP I am happy this surprise package came from the guys mother, if not people will ask the guy to leave the girl and marry another person. Anyway, the guy should ask his mum to bring more money because 1M is too small if she really meant business. It is very sad the way most parents behave nowadays. Imagine, 5million that guests will just eat in a day and leave to gossip about you!

After my wedding, I was shocked when I saw that some guests gave me back the cards in an envelop just to take a souvenir angry At the church premises, my wedding card littered everywhere because some guests sat on it or used it as sun shade while waiting to snap picture with us cheesy I was sad because I bought the most expensive card and refused to listen to the advise my married friends gave to me then. My regret is that I should have channeled the money to something else if I had listened, and not try to impress some people.

Please, tell your friend to be firm and stick to his budget. His mum will not leave with them after wedding oh!
His mum can use his 1million to entertain her guest very well on that day. He should be focused and spend wisely because when quarrel start after wedding his guests will not contribute 1 kobo.

I wish them luck!

Hahahaha at the souvenir part. At least you got your Invitation card.. On my big day some people gave me empty envelope cheesy grin
Re: Will You Borrow Money To Have An Elaborate Wedding. by Nobody: 8:47pm On May 18, 2015
Ewuro4:

Hahaha , see life? Good for you jare.

OP , No. I don't chew more than I can swallow.

I thought parents foot the wedding bills? I guess that changed too.. Every moral /tradition that makes sense are fading away & going extinct.

That MIL is enemy of progress. They should elope lipsrsealed ( I don't mean that)

Yesoo.. Morals that made sense are fast going extinct. Now this one wants expensive wedding and is putting it on her son's head
Re: Will You Borrow Money To Have An Elaborate Wedding. by Nobody: 8:51pm On May 18, 2015
rawpadgin:
5milla!

for what na?

My dear Just spend on the necessary things and leave extravagances if you cant afford them.
Because at the end of the day its the happiness in your home that matters
Re: Will You Borrow Money To Have An Elaborate Wedding. by raumdeuter: 8:58pm On May 18, 2015
Tell the MIL no one is willing to borrow you.

If she can come up with the money herself

WHats the difference between a 4m wedding and a 5m wedding
Re: Will You Borrow Money To Have An Elaborate Wedding. by FinNews: 8:59pm On May 18, 2015
Ceeesaw:

Hahahaha at the souvenir part. At least you got your Invitation card.. On my big day some people gave me empty envelope cheesy grin

Empty envelope? Then, I am very lucky grin grin

1 Like

Re: Will You Borrow Money To Have An Elaborate Wedding. by angelTI(f): 9:03pm On May 18, 2015
The couple took the bill to "mumcy" to vet?

Mumcy said the couple's proposed bill is too low and actually gave them her "perfect" bill?

Dunno babes still date mummy's boy

E never clear for your friend's eyes..

Lips sealed........ Waiting for those that will be bold enough to say the words cool
Re: Will You Borrow Money To Have An Elaborate Wedding. by iykedare(m): 9:09pm On May 18, 2015
Nigerians and their craze for weddings......

The amount to be spent on the wedding will not determine how successful the union will be.
Re: Will You Borrow Money To Have An Elaborate Wedding. by bellong: 11:15pm On May 18, 2015
Where is the father of the *boy* in this matter?

Why does he need the approval of his mum before doing whatever he has to do?

I pity the girl because if the woman cannot understand that they are just starting life, she will always put them in debt in order to meet up with the Jones and Janet's.

A successful ceremony is not strictly dependent on the amount of money spent but how well organized it is. A 5million budget event may still become a flop if not well organized while a 1m budget can be a great success. Depends on planning and organization.

I know that 1M may not be enough considering the ridiculous increase in prices of goods and services but a 5M shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked. Does she plan feeding the whole nation?

The boy had better fixed a date with his father and stick to his economic budget before his mama ruin him before even starting life.

1 Like

Re: Will You Borrow Money To Have An Elaborate Wedding. by KanwuliaJara: 3:43am On May 19, 2015
Hell NO!
But I will BEG, BORROW, KILL or STEAL if I had to get a DIVORCE!!!!!
Anything to get rid of THRASH! kiss
Re: Will You Borrow Money To Have An Elaborate Wedding. by kelechiMarie(f): 5:45am On May 19, 2015
Hell no! I wonder why people make life so damn complicated
Re: Will You Borrow Money To Have An Elaborate Wedding. by Ewuro4: 5:50am On May 19, 2015
Ceeesaw:

Yesoo.. Morals that made sense are fast going extinct. Now this one wants expensive wedding and is putting it on her son's head

Ridiculous I tell ya.
Re: Will You Borrow Money To Have An Elaborate Wedding. by Wendy80(f): 6:23am On May 19, 2015
Tell her to give in to her mother inlaw, then henceforth that's how she'll be giving in to everything MIL wants. In 6months time, u will open another thread for her titled 'MIL wants to run my marriage for me'
Rubbish.
These are signs of what are her marriage will look like in the future.
Domineering MIL and weak husband(taking bills to Mummy to approve)
Re: Will You Borrow Money To Have An Elaborate Wedding. by timilehing(m): 7:00am On May 19, 2015
Since it's the mother that's trying to protect her fake ego & rumours of wealth she doesn't possess, she can go ahead & borrow to satisfy her pride
Re: Will You Borrow Money To Have An Elaborate Wedding. by Femsyn(m): 7:40am On May 19, 2015
Maybe I'm old school, but I'm still wondering what a N5m wedding looks like. Who knows, the guy or his mother might be celebrities. I'm almost certain tho, that most of the funds will go into hall/tent rentage + decoration.

@topic, the answers are right in your face. Make a pick. Remember, its your wedding, not the mother's. Your decision should be final!
Re: Will You Borrow Money To Have An Elaborate Wedding. by SAMBARRY: 8:07am On May 19, 2015
Gbam. That's all

in addition if she wants her to become a financial burden on her after the wedding she should use a years money for just a day.

When the children start coming e go become double wahala for dead body. Child rear in on its own is very expensive. Go and ask nursing mothers how much they spend on diapers for just a month

Platnum1:

1 Like

Re: Will You Borrow Money To Have An Elaborate Wedding. by Nobody: 8:12am On May 19, 2015
Femsyn:
Maybe I'm old school, but I'm still wondering what a N5m wedding looks like. Who knows, the guy or his mother might be celebrities. I'm almost certain tho, that most of the funds will go into hall/tent rentage + decoration.

@topic, the answers are right in your face. Make a pick. Remember, its your wedding, not the mother's. Your decision should be final!

Yes my dear.. Bulk of the money of big weddings goes to hall, decor and souvenir. And then the larger the guest size the higher the budget.
Re: Will You Borrow Money To Have An Elaborate Wedding. by SAMBARRY: 8:18am On May 19, 2015
When the bills start rolling in you will go back and collect the money you used for aso ebi

nepa bills is there
house rent water bills
lawma bills
fuel and maintenance of gen is there
children's school fees is there
money for school uniform and text book is there
I can go on and on but if you use all the money you are supposed to use in the journey ahead of you for one day you will know the people you're trying to impress don't give a damn about you when you meet them for money. You better set your priorities straight

Speaking about children's school fees I'm aware that the lowest decent and conducive environment where you can put your child in that is just primary school starts from 150 k per term except you want to take them to school where they will be singing ede times ede remi koniya segun elere ball odabo odabo kayode and be disgracing you up and down with numerous gbagauns
Re: Will You Borrow Money To Have An Elaborate Wedding. by SAMBARRY: 8:21am On May 19, 2015
Femsyn:

abi o.if she wants to do lavish party and show off there she should do her own birthday party. There she can spend 5milion if she wishes

its your wedding not hers
Re: Will You Borrow Money To Have An Elaborate Wedding. by raumdeuter: 8:44am On May 19, 2015
SAMBARRY:

Speaking about children's school fees I'm aware that the lowest decent and conducive environment where you can put your child in that is just primary school starts from 150 k per term except you want to take them to school where they will be singing ede times ede remi koniya segun elere ball odabo odabo kayode and be disgracing you up and down with numerous gbagauns

No be ede times ede school you go ni?

You wey be ten ten champion for your street
Re: Will You Borrow Money To Have An Elaborate Wedding. by Nobody: 8:45am On May 19, 2015
Ask majority of those who throw an elaborate wedding, and they'l tell you how much they regret it afterwards. That money could be used for a house, car or even luxury honeymoon... why spend so much to impress people who couldn't care less about you or your marriage? Even your parents won't be there when y'all are soaking garri after the fact.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Will You Borrow Money To Have An Elaborate Wedding. by SAMBARRY: 8:54am On May 19, 2015
Never. Emi ke.na Behind school I go o
raumdeuter:

No be ede times ede school you go ni?

You wey be ten ten champion for your street

(1) (Reply)

Happy Children's Day To All Kids In Nigeria / 80% Humans Can't Tell Why They Want To Be Married. / What Age Is Ideal For Tor Kids To Start Doing The Dishes???

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.