Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,708 members, 7,805,906 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 08:19 AM

Are Aworis And Eguns Yoruba? - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Are Aworis And Eguns Yoruba? (25095 Views)

Are The Ilajes, Aworis, Egbas, Ijebus, Ikales And Eguns Really Yoruba? / 'eguns' Badagry Indigenes: Post Here (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are Aworis And Eguns Yoruba? by comfort3: 7:35pm On Feb 23, 2009
;d
Re: Are Aworis And Eguns Yoruba? by cora4love(m): 5:37pm On Apr 18, 2009
Negro_ntns,

you have really done a good job and reseach trying to tell us some information about important issues concerning the yoruba people, but please you still need more reseach.

Egun as yoruba: the Egun are yoruba from every ramnification, they speaks their own version of yoruba language. it should be noted that all yorubas comprising the Oyos, Egba,Ijebus,Ekiti,Ondo,Owu,Ife e.t.c have there various local version of yoruba language, but prior to intra-ethnic war that occur throughout the yorubaland which makes Oyo to subjugate most yoruba kingdom under her control makes yoruba Oyo the lingual-franca in yorubaland,and when we started putting things on paper, the first books to be written in yoruba language was by Oyo man( Ajayi Crowther) who wrote it in yoruba Oyo Language.

Mind you, the itsekiri people are not in anyway a kingdon(state), they are Ijebus, they migrated out of Ijebu-Ode to there current position, and later mixed up with other ethnic group that is totally diverse to yoruba which make everything about them changed. If you have good understanding of Ijebu, you will understand whatever they are saying.
OMOLUABI: You try to potray your point by saying that omoluabi simply means or likely to mean omo nuah bi which is not true, even the yoruba people dont know Noah talkless of talking about the destruction of the earth with rain. omoluabi simply means omo olu abi which means that someone who worth been a leader, i.e that is someone of unquestionable character, and not omo noah bi.
ORIGIN OF YORUBA: The people of Yoruba didn't migrated from any where, we have been here since creation. a good evidence is the archeological evidence of human bone discover in Ondo state which is 10,000yrs old and the next to it is the one discovered in kenya . it should be noted that coming of Oduduwa from mecca to Yorubaland does not mean that the yoruba people come with him. his aramaic name is mohammed , it was after he came to yorubaland that we gave in Oduduwa( Odu da iwa or Oodua) base on what Ifa tells us since we have been searching for someone who will be chief king and chief priest in Yorubaland after thousands of year that Orumila have died,and Ifa promise us that when its time the irumole will lead a man who descedend from heaven but brought up by an hunter the bible called nimrod,quaran--lamrud which yoruba later transform to lamurudu.it should be noted that Oduduwa meet the yoruba here and he was able to bring and keep us together as united kingdom. The yorubaland covered area from kwara state,Nupe in Niger state,Kogi state,some minority part in benue state,down to delta state.whole of the area is called Ile-Ife with capital city in Otu-ife which now call ile-ife due to lack of understanding. the emergence of more kingdom within the yorubaland brought about the call for there independent state . please note that majority of this kingdom have ile before their individual identity as state e.g Owu -Ile, Eko-Ile,Orile-Egba ,Oyo-Ile e.t.c to show that the whole of Yorubaland is called Ile-Ife which is popularly called Ife Odaye, but the remain of Ile-Ife with the real identity is now called Ife Ooye. Hey! do you know that Modakeke is ife, but because the people want there own independent, they dont want that part to be address as ife not anymore.
ORIGIN OF NAME YORUBA:The name yoruba originated with Oduduwa.the fact that Oduduwa is regarded as an idol worshiper ,and his understand about oririsa is totally diffrerent from that of nimrod. when islam emerge he didn't agree with them because he understand what he is doing more than anybody as a result was tagged yaruba( i.e some having evil in him which we later change with knowledge of ifa.

for more details, contact KAREEM ADETOLA
TEL, 08050752613
E-mail, cora_4love2000@yahoo.co.uk
Re: Are Aworis And Eguns Yoruba? by tpia: 10:56pm On Apr 18, 2009
Re: Are Aworis And Eguns Yoruba? by cora4love(m): 2:51pm On Apr 19, 2009
tpia thanx for your responds,  do you know that the Ijebu share boundary with Ondo state at a point called Abigi which otherwise called Ijebu water-side, this area is riverine area.Its should be noted that Ondo state is the only state that seperate the Ijebu from the benin people, and also delta is part of old bendel state. The Ijebus must have embark on a journey for various reasons which takes them through ondo-land through benin to another riverine area now called delta, which is similar terrain to where they are coming from,and not all Ijebuland are riverine, but just abigi alone. pls try to make enquirie from itsekiri people about there origin and understudy Ijebu language and that of itsekiri, the you will be able to compare and contrast. the only diffrerent you are likely to notice is due to change of environments and the fact that they have mixed up with another race.hey! do know that olu of itsekiri land is called Atunwase1, which is a chieftancy title in Ijebuland, particularly Ijebu-Ode.
    More so, I want you to know that Oduduwa didn't get to Yorubaland with anybody, he came here alone.or do you see any traces of Arabo in Yoruba man? or any Arabo culture because countries like saudi-Arabia, Iran,Iraq e.t.c have similar culture.
     On the issue of who tell ifa to forcast the future, Please is Ifa is not a human being but the words of God given to Orumila the progenitor of Yoruba wisdom. Orumila is the first crowned King and this makes him be chief king and chief priest in the whole of Yoruba Kingdom, after his death yorubas have been using his wisdom(ifa) to know how choose a king or baale, its is this process we use to know who will be like Orumila , but ifa promise us that a man that odu ti oda wiwa ati iwa ti yoruba  l'da( mean secret force that creat existence and good behaviour of the yoruba created him as well) which we later abbreviated to mean oduduwa. that is how oduduwas became king(chief king and priest) of the whole of yoruba kingdom. hope you now get it. i will be waiting to respond to your criticism.
Re: Are Aworis And Eguns Yoruba? by tpia: 6:59am On Apr 20, 2009
Re: Are Aworis And Eguns Yoruba? by biina: 8:10am On Apr 20, 2009
Na wa for all these speculation on Yoruba origin without a single reference to corroborate any of the versions.
Re: Are Aworis And Eguns Yoruba? by ikeyman00(m): 9:29am On Apr 20, 2009
@@@ post

there are yorobos and yorabas!!

read your history well folks

peace out
Re: Are Aworis And Eguns Yoruba? by tpia: 2:22pm On Apr 20, 2009
Re: Are Aworis And Eguns Yoruba? by biina: 5:50pm On Apr 20, 2009
tpia:

if you know of any then post them.

You never heard of oral legends?
Firstly, I did not make any assertions on the origins of the yoruba's and thus do not have a version that I need to corroborate, rather it's people presenting their versions that need to corroborate it.
If you must know, even legends have sources (oral or written).
Re: Are Aworis And Eguns Yoruba? by tpia: 6:12pm On Apr 20, 2009
Re: Are Aworis And Eguns Yoruba? by NegroNtns(m): 6:27pm On Apr 20, 2009
Tpia, long time! How have you been?
Re: Are Aworis And Eguns Yoruba? by tpia: 6:30pm On Apr 20, 2009
Re: Are Aworis And Eguns Yoruba? by biina: 6:39pm On Apr 20, 2009
tpia:

I know you like arguing in circles while begging the question and derailing the thread.

If you have sources you want other people to know about, then post them.

If you have nothing else to contribute besides what you posted, kindly move on to some other thread.

I guess you dont know the meaning of oral legends.

Had I observed that the earlier post was from you, I would have rightly ignored it, as I do not like an exchange with one who cannot be reasoned with.

I am aware of several scholarly articles of which I have no obligations to list for you (or anyone else). However, I will take your suggestions under advisement.

I am quite clear on the meaning of 'oral legends', though I doubt you know the difference between a myth and a legend, nor the relative relevance of references to either.
Re: Are Aworis And Eguns Yoruba? by tpia: 6:44pm On Apr 20, 2009
Re: Are Aworis And Eguns Yoruba? by biina: 7:14pm On Apr 20, 2009
tpia:

yes, next time observe who's posting before rushing in with your oversabi!

I dont like arguing with eggheads either!! Tender egos but big on aggression!

If you dont want to "condescend" and post your vaunted scholarly articles, then vamoose abeg!
sorry to disappoint you on all counts.
Re: Are Aworis And Eguns Yoruba? by NegroNtns(m): 7:39pm On Apr 20, 2009
Tpia,

I stayed away to protect my sanity from people that have eyes and ears and mind but are philosophically blind, deaf and dumb! You know what I'm talking about. lol!
Re: Are Aworis And Eguns Yoruba? by tpia: 11:52pm On Apr 20, 2009
Re: Are Aworis And Eguns Yoruba? by udezue(m): 12:26am On Apr 21, 2009
Egun people are Babylonians not Yoruba. They simply mixed up with them.
Ijebu people are really Yoruba not Yoruba
Itsekiri are not Yoruba they are descendants of Ijaw fishermen. They are more Yoruba not Yoruba at all at all.

I know the history like the back of my palm guys.

1 Like

Re: Are Aworis And Eguns Yoruba? by tpia: 1:14am On Apr 21, 2009
Re: Are Aworis And Eguns Yoruba? by udezue(m): 2:09am On Apr 21, 2009
I can tell you about yours too. What are u?
Re: Are Aworis And Eguns Yoruba? by tpia: 2:17am On Apr 21, 2009
Re: Are Aworis And Eguns Yoruba? by NegroNtns(m): 4:52am On Apr 21, 2009
are you referring to that time when two hunks (ie you and debosky) had that difference of opinion over some matter?

Its the internet- people always defend what's close to their hearts. True talk.

Who knows- you yourself might do the same thing someday when you're deeply in love

gosh, why am I so calm these days

Tpia,

no, hot debates and arguments like that are norm on Nairaland. Generally, we have a lot of people on this forum and they are very well educated with good jobs and income, but that's all they are. They lack vision and imagination, their abilities to ponder on possibilities, to ask penetrating questions is very limited. They earned their degrees and put on the brakes, happy to unburden the mind of that great task to which all citizens who desire Greatness for their homeland must aspire to uphold. We spend too many hours here counteracting one another's position with theories and claims that does nothing to advance our collective needs and interests.

I was getting infected with the bug, from hanging around those elements too long I noticed that my own posts were beginning to exhibit those attributes of "book wise, knowledge shallow", so this is why I took off for a while.
Re: Are Aworis And Eguns Yoruba? by udezue(m): 6:42am On Apr 21, 2009
Tilapia,

Only fool like you will even think I was serious. Odeeeeeee.

You see how fools like you like to butt into Igbo history and tell us how Awka people are not Igbos but Japanese and Anioma people are from Lagos, Benin, I am simply returning the favor. grin

But u are so slow you should have this dude aint serious.

Egun people can be eskimos and it still won't change the price of Garri. They are who they are.
Re: Are Aworis And Eguns Yoruba? by tpia: 7:10am On Apr 21, 2009
Re: Are Aworis And Eguns Yoruba? by AloyEmeka9: 7:51am On Apr 21, 2009
Egun people are Babylonians not Yoruba. They simply mixed up with them.
Ijebu people are really Yoruba not Yoruba
Itsekiri are not Yoruba they are descendants of Ijaw fishermen. They are more Yoruba not Yoruba at all at all.

I know the history like the back of my palm guys.
Lol, grin grin grin is she not mrs know all that will tell us where we come from and where we belong. If you see the kind laugh wey people laugh when i told them about Tpia's ibo and igbo theory, you too go choke. It's funny how people try so hard to implant the seed of discord among others because their lives are f.ked and they want others to be miserable too. Many eguns I've seen over time claim they are not Yoruba but they speak and bear yoruba names and you can never differentiate between them and yoruba which led me to suspect that it could be a political thing but how many igbos did you see on this thread trying to wade into an issue they rarely know about?. tpia herself know nothing about the Yoruba history she is writing, read Negro's explanation and you will see for yourself a well cooked information from somebody that bothered to research. Thank you Udezue for taking tpia back to memory lane.
Re: Are Aworis And Eguns Yoruba? by tpia: 7:54am On Apr 21, 2009
Re: Are Aworis And Eguns Yoruba? by ikeyman00(m): 9:12am On Apr 21, 2009
some body jump!!
Re: Are Aworis And Eguns Yoruba? by topsy25(m): 10:23am On Apr 21, 2009
tpia, emeka and udezue; una well so shocked
Re: Are Aworis And Eguns Yoruba? by AloyEmeka9: 10:25am On Apr 21, 2009
I'm sure you're expecting someone to correct you on how to spell Yoruba, but who has time?
You never know. I may be refering to Eguns and Aworis as Yoruba while the rest of the west are Yorubas. Crass idiot.
Re: Are Aworis And Eguns Yoruba? by tpia: 4:30pm On Apr 21, 2009
Re: Are Aworis And Eguns Yoruba? by tpia: 4:34pm On Apr 21, 2009
Re: Are Aworis And Eguns Yoruba? by NegroNtns(m): 4:48pm On Apr 21, 2009
Precisely! Good to see you wink

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Ooni Of Ife Celebrates His 44th Birthday In Style (photos) / Oluwo Tells Osun Obas They Can't Suspend Him / Oba Fatai Irawo Of 'Odi-olowo' Is Dead

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.