Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,739 members, 7,802,241 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:28 AM

Buhari’s Handshake Uproar: It’s All About Politics, Nothing Islamic - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari’s Handshake Uproar: It’s All About Politics, Nothing Islamic (1383 Views)

Photo Of Wike's "Special" Handshake Surfaces After Accusing Amaechi Of Cultism / 5 Times Buhari's Handshake Went Wrong / Man Who Started Buhari Handshake Controversy Pictured Dancing With A Female (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Buhari’s Handshake Uproar: It’s All About Politics, Nothing Islamic by muhsin(m): 7:29am On May 20, 2015
Buhari’s Handshake Uproar: It’s all about Politics, Nothing Islamic

Twitter: @muhsin234

Let me be categorically clear from the onset that I am not here to legitimize the president-elect, Muhammadu Buhari’s handshake with any non-maharam woman. The often cited instances of other Muslim leaders of, among others, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia doing the same is, at best, extraneous and at worst, clumsy. No amount of words, logic, wisdom, etc can make what’s already haram (forbidden) such as an unconditional body contact with a non-maharam woman by another man halal (legit). That is my understanding, firm belief and sturdy stand.

Buhari’s action is, however, purely personal between him and his Creator, Allah. I am very sure that Buhari, being a Hausa-Fulani and Muslim, knows that. He would, if he at all allows it, definitely frown at anybody shaking the hands of his wife, his daughter or his female wards. He did not grow up seeing the same being done in their house nor in his immediate environment. And yes, we didn’t elect him because he’s versed in Islamic knowledge and to establish Shari’ah – and if you did so, you are very wrong. Christian, Muslim, etc Nigerians voted for Buhari to salvage the country from the shackles of the PDP-led government under Jonathan. His sins have nothing whatsoever to do with the development and growth, security, corrupt-free public servants and employment for the youths Nigerians zealously anticipate to witness under his leadership.

Enough of that, I believe. The annual birthday celebration (i.e. Maulud) of ‘Sheikh’ Ibrahim Nyass took place in Kano a few days ago (in the same week Buhari shook the hand of Mrs. Oshiomole). A so-called Malam (scholar) among the invitees openly blasphemed against the Prophet Muhammad (S.A.W) in the crudest and unheard of language. That was a sacrilege worth a downright condemnation by the Nigerian Muslims and the entire Ummah. It’s, to me and to many others, far worse than the caricatures of the Prophet done by the infamous Denmark magazine, the Charlie Hebdo’s and anybody else that I know of in all my living days.

As a netizen, I expected to see a far more fuss and fume from among the Muslim brethrens who just a few days ago expressed their angst towards the President-Elect for going against the Prophet’s teaching. There’s however a loud silence. I wondered why? I then recalled that Buhari is a politician and who has a cult-like followers especially in the north. Thus, disparaging him especially by a fellow northerner and in these days while the adoration and admiration is still afresh stands you a good chance to become popular. It’s almost certain that that would attract attention, for the critic displays ‘brevity’, ‘dispassion’ and ‘candor’.

The criticism might be more political than seeking for a cheap popularity, I further discovered. Many among those detractors have once or twice doggedly defended their fave politicians (for example former and the current governors of Kano State, Malam Shekarau and Engr. Kwankwaso, respectively) for committing exactly the same sin (handshake with a woman). But due to a double standard, they now nitpicked on Buhari. I think we shouldn’t be selective in telling the truth. Say the truth even on your own self, Islam teaches us.

It’s apparently clear that but for dirty politics and holier-than-thou attitude of many of us, where the Prophet’s virtue and personality were dented is the best place to deploy our big grammar, to exhaust our Internet megabytes and spend our time in his defense. We should take it as a duty to inform and enlighten as many people as we can out there about what happened. And we should be not afraid to unreservedly slam those mystic bastards calling themselves ‘Yan Haqiqah (‘Realists’), under the umbrella of Tijjaniyya sect.

To say I am disappointed is an understatement. I feel an excruciating pain circulating in my nerves at present. What would be our reaction when the same or similar desecration of the Prophet is carried out by a non-Muslim? I think you would remain nonplus as you are now, for it’s not Buhari who errs, and any (peaceful) protest will not make you popular. Politics shouldn’t foray into everything such as religious issues.

May Allah guide us to the right path and protect the virtue of Prophet Muhammad (S.A.W), amin.
Re: Buhari’s Handshake Uproar: It’s All About Politics, Nothing Islamic by Nobody: 7:30am On May 20, 2015
y
Re: Buhari’s Handshake Uproar: It’s All About Politics, Nothing Islamic by muhsin(m): 7:46am On May 20, 2015
Re: Buhari’s Handshake Uproar: It’s All About Politics, Nothing Islamic by temitemi1(m): 7:47am On May 20, 2015
Nonsense!
muhsin:
Buhari’s Handshake Uproar: It’s all about Politics, Nothing Islamic

Twitter: @muhsin234

Let me be categorically clear from the onset that I am not here to legitimize the president-elect, Muhammadu Buhari’s handshake with any non-maharam woman. The often cited instances of other Muslim leaders of, among others, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia doing the same is, at best, extraneous and at worst, clumsy. No amount of words, logic, wisdom, etc can make what’s already haram (forbidden) such as an unconditional body contact with a non-maharam woman by another man halal (legit). That is my understanding, firm belief and sturdy stand.

Buhari’s action is, however, purely personal between him and his Creator, Allah. I am very sure that Buhari, being a Hausa-Fulani and Muslim, knows that. He would, if he at all allows it, definitely frown at anybody shaking the hands of his wife, his daughter or his female wards. He did not grow up seeing the same being done in their house nor in his immediate environment. And yes, we didn’t elect him because he’s versed in Islamic knowledge and to establish Shari’ah – and if you did so, you are very wrong. Christian, Muslim, etc Nigerians voted for Buhari to salvage the country from the shackles of the PDP-led government under Jonathan. His sins have nothing whatsoever to do with the development and growth, security, corrupt-free public servants and employment for the youths Nigerians zealously anticipate to witness under his leadership.

Enough of that, I believe. The annual birthday celebration (i.e. Maulud) of ‘Sheikh’ Ibrahim Nyass took place in Kano a few days ago (in the same week Buhari shook the hand of Mrs. Oshiomole). A so-called Malam (scholar) among the invitees openly blasphemed against the Prophet Muhammad (S.A.W) in the crudest and unheard of language. That was a sacrilege worth a downright condemnation by the Nigerian Muslims and the entire Ummah. It’s, to me and to many others, far worse than the caricatures of the Prophet done by the infamous Denmark magazine, the Charlie Hebdo’s and anybody else that I know of in all my living days.

As a netizen, I expected to see a far more fuss and fume from among the Muslim brethrens who just a few days ago expressed their angst towards the President-Elect for going against the Prophet’s teaching. There’s however a loud silence. I wondered why? I then recalled that Buhari is a politician and who has a cult-like followers especially in the north. Thus, disparaging him especially by a fellow northerner and in these days while the adoration and admiration is still afresh stands you a good chance to become popular. It’s almost certain that that would attract attention, for the critic displays ‘brevity’, ‘dispassion’ and ‘candor’.

The criticism might be more political than seeking for a cheap popularity, I further discovered. Many among those detractors have once or twice doggedly defended their fave politicians (for example former and the current governors of Kano State, Malam Shekarau and Engr. Kwankwaso, respectively) for committing exactly the same sin (handshake with a woman). But due to a double standard, they now nitpicked on Buhari. I think we shouldn’t be selective in telling the truth. Say the truth even on your own self, Islam teaches us.

It’s apparently clear that but for dirty politics and holier-than-thou attitude of many of us, where the Prophet’s virtue and personality were dented is the best place to deploy our big grammar, to exhaust our Internet megabytes and spend our time in his defense. We should take it as a duty to inform and enlighten as many people as we can out there about what happened. And we should be not afraid to unreservedly slam those mystic bastards calling themselves ‘Yan Haqiqah (‘Realists’), under the umbrella of Tijjaniyya sect.

To say I am disappointed is an understatement. I feel an excruciating pain circulating in my nerves at present. What would be our reaction when the same or similar desecration of the Prophet is carried out by a non-Muslim? I think you would remain nonplus as you are now, for it’s not Buhari who errs, and any (peaceful) protest will not make you popular. Politics shouldn’t foray into everything such as religious issues.

May Allah guide us to the right path and protect the virtue of Prophet Muhammad (S.A.W), amin.
Re: Buhari’s Handshake Uproar: It’s All About Politics, Nothing Islamic by muhsin(m): 2:44pm On May 21, 2015
temitemi1:
Nonsense!

Can you be so kind and point to what's "nonsense" in the article?

Thanks.
Re: Buhari’s Handshake Uproar: It’s All About Politics, Nothing Islamic by A7(m): 4:21pm On May 21, 2015
Interesting.

I admire your bluntness bro especially your stand on our reluctance to totally uproot deviancies perpetrated by vagabonds within. The moral decadence in todays so-called mysticism is alarming and very disturbing, this must not be further accomodated and must not be allowed to continue to fester.

It's high time relevant authorities and the Ulamas start organising an open session debates fishing and confronting those demented self-acclaimed prophets. This barbaric unproductive uncultured tradition need to be repelled and burried forever.

Cc: maclatunji tbaba1234 albaqir lanrexlan sissie vedaxcool deols

1 Like

Re: Buhari’s Handshake Uproar: It’s All About Politics, Nothing Islamic by muhsin(m): 5:40pm On May 21, 2015
A7:
Interesting.

I admire your bluntness bro especially your stand on our reluctance to totally uproot deviancies perpetrated by vagabonds within. The moral decadence in todays so-called mysticism is alarming and very disturbing, this must not be further accomodated and must not be allowed to continue to fester.

It's high time relevant authorities and the Ulamas start organising an open session debates fishing and confronting those demented self-acclaimed prophets. This barbaric unproductive uncultured tradition need to be repelled and burried forever.

Cc: maclatunji tbaba1234 albaqir lanrexlan sissie vedaxcool deols

Thank you very much, brother.

The state government (i.e Kano) had recently proposed to form a committee of Ulemas that would be screening any preacher and his preaching, but that was criticised very squarely. Thus, it had to be jettisoned. But that is needed now than ever. I fear what could happen if this trend continues unabated.
Re: Buhari’s Handshake Uproar: It’s All About Politics, Nothing Islamic by A7(m): 6:58pm On May 21, 2015
muhsin:

Thank you very much, brother.

The state government (i.e Kano) had recently proposed to form a committee of Ulemas that would be screening any preacher and his preaching, but that was criticised very squarely. Thus, it had to be jettisoned. But that is needed now than ever. I fear what could happen if this trend continues unabated.

That's disappointing, scuttling promising initiatives like this would be paving ways for more unguarded utterances and continuance of intensification of peoples indignation.

Hope they review their standpoint soon, a delay will lead to more turmoils that'll beckone wreckage and chaos[heard they razed garkuwan faida's house already]. The outcome of such frenzies[faith related] is always very messy. Allah ya karemu daga fadawa tarkon shaidan.
Re: Buhari’s Handshake Uproar: It’s All About Politics, Nothing Islamic by muhsin(m): 8:13am On May 22, 2015
A7:

That's disappointing, scuttling promising initiatives like this would be paving ways for more unguarded utterances and continuance of intensification of peoples indignation.

Hope they review their standpoint soon, a delay will lead to more turmoils that'll beckone wreckage and chaos[heard they razed garkuwan faida's house already]. The outcome of such frenzies[faith related] is always very messy. Allah ya karemu daga fadawa tarkon shaidan.

Yes, some overzealous people burnt his house. But he's not there; he's arrested and arraigned to court. Kano Hizba charges him and one other guy for blasphemy. They face face possible capital punishment - in sha Allah. Interesting, however, is how some lawyers (perhaps from among the so-called 'Human Rights activists') have sprung up to defend him.

Amin to the prayers. Ashe ma namu ne kai; lol! As an old member of the forum, I know there are only a few of us here. Hence my amazement.

Thanks once again. Cheers.
Re: Buhari’s Handshake Uproar: It’s All About Politics, Nothing Islamic by A7(m): 4:07pm On May 22, 2015
muhsin:

Yes, some overzealous people burnt his house. But he's not there; he's arrested and arraigned to court. Kano Hizba charges him and one other guy for blasphemy. They face face possible capital punishment - in sha Allah. Interesting, however, is how some lawyers (perhaps from among the so-called 'Human Rights activists') have sprung up to defend him.

Amin to the prayers. Ashe ma namu ne kai; lol! As an old member of the forum, I know there are only a few of us here. Hence my amazement.

Thanks once again. Cheers.

Human what? This could be another medium to distraught the already heated polity. Those scavengers better not toy with weight and sensitivity of this issue, overlooking the present ambiance of people's melancholy and displeasure is tantamount to invalidating Hizba's call to calmness and shunning jungle related justice.

The fact that Hizba leadership is able to make peoople cooperate to ensure the law take its course is indeed a miracle, and attempting to thwart the proceedings will definitely invoke bitter opposition.

Lol grin hakane bamuda yawa, Yarabawa da Inyamurai ne suke cin karensu ba babbaka anan. You are a hell of sturdy veteran bro, I learn a lot from your entries in the faith section, am a fan even before I join nairaland cheesy cheesy . My regards to uwargida and indian friends grin grin .

1 Like

Re: Buhari’s Handshake Uproar: It’s All About Politics, Nothing Islamic by muhsin(m): 8:41am On May 23, 2015
A7:

Human what? This could be another medium to distraught the already heated polity. Those scavengers better not toy with weight and sensitivity of this issue, overlooking the present ambiance of people's melancholy and displeasure is tantamount to invalidating Hizba's call to calmness and shunning jungle related justice.

The fact that Hizba leadership is able to make peoople cooperate to ensure the law take its course is indeed a miracle, and attempting to thwart the proceedings will definitely invoke bitter opposition.

Lol grin hakane bamuda yawa, Yarabawa da Inyamurai ne suke cin karensu ba babbaka anan. You are a hell of sturdy veteran bro, I learn a lot from your entries in the faith section, am a fan even before I join nairaland cheesy cheesy . My regards to uwargida and indian friends grin grin .

Ma sha Allah. I'm humbled. Thanks, and best wishes, Malam.

(1) (Reply)

Gov. Wike Caught Sleepingon Duty (photo) / Ambode Sacks Fashola’s, Sister Other Loyalists -change Is Finally Here / #OCCUPYNASS2015 - Can We All Put Together A Common Front To Fight It

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.