Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,859 members, 7,802,753 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 08:50 PM

6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop (44469 Views)

FCSC: A Country Where 3rd Class Is Considered Above Msc + Bsc (2.1) / Discrimination Against Graduates From State Universities / Australia Government MSc Scholarship For Nigerians- 3rd Class Can Apply (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by xfire: 9:41pm On May 20, 2015
This is based solely on my personal opinion and is not binding on anyone or organization. It is however to encourage all graduates that they can succeed in life regardless of their grade. Read on:

SOURCE: http://www.jarushub.com/6-reasons-why-discrimination-against-2-2-and-3rd-class-graduates-should-stop/

This is based on personal opinion only. In the course of my young & growing career, I have interacted with many graduates and employees. I have met extremely good, hardworking and smart persons who graduated with 2.2 or 3rd class. However, many are not even given the chance to showcase their ability as they are often not considered in many recruitment opportunities.
However I must say, I will never discriminate against anyone on the basis of graduating with a 2.2 if or when I own my company. Here are the reasons why 2.2 (and lower grade) grads can perform equally or even better than others with higher grade:

1. Many are actually very smart. Some are even smarter than some 2.1 grads out there. Not all that finished with a 2.2 or 3rd class did so because they weren't academically sound enough. Financial pressures, playfulness, sickness, victimization, missing exam sheets, family issues, disillusion, influence of bad friends, etc can cause students not to reach their full academic potential. A friend of mine finished with a 2.2 largely due to financial stress while in school. Today, he is a successful network engineer in one of the telecom coys. Let me even take it closer. A relative of mine finished with a 3rd class in civil engineering due to victimization. Today, he is a COREN registered engineer with many years of engineering experience to his name. He now has a registered consulting firm. I can go on and on to reel out successful 2.2 and 3rd class graduates but I will stop here. It’s gravely erroneous to assume that all 2.2 or even 3rd class grads aren’t as smart as others.

2. Succeeding in the workplace requires more than academic ability - As a matter of fact, success in the workplace is determined more by one’s soft skills than by academic ability. Soft skills such as presentation skills, persuasion skills, decision making skills, ability to learn fast, attitude, persuasion skills, people skills, etc. are much more important than school grades. These are skills that are not learnt in the classroom.

3. They have more to prove
– Of course they do. They know that many look down on them because of their grades. They know that too much emphasis is placed on paper certificate. So they demonstrate more determination to show that they aren’t push-overs. This is a key driving force for successful career-minded 2.2 and 3rd class graduates I have met.

4. Most have acquired additional hard skills / training – I have met several 2.2 graduates that have amazing skill sets that I can only envy. Many 2.2 grads out there are augmenting their grade with other requisite skills, aptitude and certifications. While many (not all) 1st class and 2.1 grads may rely solely on their certificate to do the ‘magic’, many 2.2 and 3rd class graduates are working and learning new skills to enhance their employability and survive the highly competitive labour market. This is applicable to all graduates. However, 2.2 grads tend to be more aggressive in their zeal to survive the competitive environment. All the skills, training, certification and aptitude gained in the course of boosting employability play significant roles in helping them succeed in life, and in the workplace.

5. Most have learnt from their past errors – This applies to those who finished with 2.2 or 3rd class due to avoidable reasons. People who learn from their past mistakes usually develop strong motivations to correct their errors and succeed. Give a man who is motivated a task to complete and he will excel beyond expectation. Another relative of mine graduated with a 2.2 for purely avoidable reasons. After staying at home for almost a year and realizing his past mistakes, he searched deep and discovered his passion. He enrolled for a software training program with APTECH, and began to build his network. Today, he is one of the leading software engineers with one of the 2 major Nigerian online shopping firms in Nigeria.

6. They tend to show great zeal and commitment
– The smart ones hardly misuse opportunities. They know how tough it can sometimes get for them and many brace up for the challenge. Over time, experience counts more than grade. Thus, they show incredible commitment in the workplace in order to gain relevant experience and reduce the undue impact of their grade. While most 2.1 or first class graduates have their eyes open to ‘bigger’ opportunities, 2.2 grads tend to be more loyal in a firm so as to establish themselves, gain relevant experience and boost their work/career profile. Little wonder some firms that used to be die-hard fans of 2.1 graduates now consider 2.2 grads (with relevant NYSC experience or Masters degree).
A year after I joined my first place of work (a multinational FMCG coy), two 2.2 grads were considered and hired amongst several 2.1 and 1st class graduates. The two put in extra efforts and commitment at work. They have since become high fliers and have risen ahead of their colleagues with 2.1 and 1st class degree.

Who says 2.2 graduates can compete with others in a corporate organization?

DISCLAIMER: I am not encouraging students to finish with 2.2 or lower grades. As a matter of fact, I graduated with a CGPA extremely close to a first class and will always advise students to finish with at least a 2.1 or Upper Credit. I am only insisting that 2.2 graduates can equally do well in the workplace.

Xfire is a graduate of one of the notable public universities in Nigeria, with working experience in the FMCG and petroleum industry. He currently works as an engineer in a multinational oil company in Nigeria. He is passionate about guiding people to achieve their dream careers, and he is known for his pragmatic approach towards career and life issues

SOURCE: http://www.jarushub.com/6-reasons-why-discrimination-against-2-2-and-3rd-class-graduates-should-stop/

108 Likes 23 Shares

Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by Maczeelly(m): 9:45pm On May 20, 2015
Great..........xfire
Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by phyllosilicate(m): 9:53pm On May 20, 2015
You have spoken well. One of the reasons employers uses 2.1 and above as a criteria is to stream line the number of applicant not because 2.2 and 3rd graduates are not smart.

46 Likes 1 Share

Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by Mixty: 9:55pm On May 20, 2015
Good. I agree though I am a first class grad. Best thing to graduate with 2.1 or 1.1. Saves you a lot of stress.

this is good for front page

cc lalasticlala ishilove uboma davide470

11 Likes

Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by Blackchampion(m): 10:03pm On May 20, 2015
Make i buy dis plot 1st

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by Nobody: 10:03pm On May 20, 2015
Did not read through tho... but just to correct the notion as seen in the topic. I don't see any discrimination. Each company to its' own. Some companies still go for 2 2. In all, we know life is not fair and can never be fair. No one remembers the runner up.

8 Likes

Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by XtraSmooth404: 10:03pm On May 20, 2015
Nice piece. Students should still endeavor to graduate with fantastic grades.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by haibe(m): 10:04pm On May 20, 2015
If I were an employer.. I would give everyone an equal chance.. An online test on the company website is a good way to cut down the numbers for those that will make the interview. This is better than giving only a few the chance....Good points OP

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by akonibobo: 10:05pm On May 20, 2015
Fact!!!
Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by CountDracula(m): 10:05pm On May 20, 2015
Eeya. Op ur child wil graduate univ wit 3rd class in Jesus name

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by Pavore9: 10:07pm On May 20, 2015
Make effort to graduate with good grades so that the stress would be less in the Labour market.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by benebaby77: 10:07pm On May 20, 2015
God bless you op... you are giving the people like me that graduate with third class upper(3:1) hope... Employers una do hear bah? make Una no discriminate us again even if nah employ us as your daughters servicer... we are ready o prove ourselves sey we dey good in other things

3 Likes

Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by Drsheddy(m): 10:08pm On May 20, 2015
K
Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by mcdokwe(m): 10:08pm On May 20, 2015
reading
Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by Nairalandar: 10:08pm On May 20, 2015
FP material...
Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by haibe(m): 10:08pm On May 20, 2015
CountDracula:
Eeya
what has Eeya got to do with this again

1 Like

Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by falconey(m): 10:08pm On May 20, 2015
I'm an undergraduate in a science and technology university.

Its my school tradition to employ 1st class grads automatically as G.A.

B-TECH 2.2 and 3rd class are fire!!! I guess the discrimination is on B.S.C grads. Thou the OP didn't specify.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by crixlight2(m): 10:09pm On May 20, 2015
Hmmmm embarassed
Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by hamaworld(m): 10:09pm On May 20, 2015
It pains at time when u realise those that dicriminate 2,2 are mostly 3rd class materials, just because they customise Thiers with PGD,MSc or any other certificate course.

All I know is that, the God I serve will surelly bless my result.
Team2,2.

27 Likes

Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by haibe(m): 10:10pm On May 20, 2015
Pavore9:
Make effort to graduate with good grades so that the stress would be less in the Labour market.
u are saying a different thing from what the OP is intending. . Obviously everyone wants to make good grades but everyone cannot make good grades, should we now discriminate against them? Of course not.. thats the OP's point

11 Likes

Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by Helkayklassic(m): 10:11pm On May 20, 2015
Nice one op
Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by exemen: 10:11pm On May 20, 2015
................ntn to sey oda dat bware of dis

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by easyz(m): 10:11pm On May 20, 2015
It's better and safer to graduate with 2.1 at least.
Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by takleboy(m): 10:11pm On May 20, 2015
Xfire on it again, you are a Natural Gas @room temperature. nice opinion and proper layout

1 Like

Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by jamex93(m): 10:12pm On May 20, 2015
this are serious issues DAT must b corrected

2 Likes

Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by toyoutoyou: 10:12pm On May 20, 2015
Na them know.Who cares.
Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by Smartlife(m): 10:12pm On May 20, 2015
Why am encouraging people to come out with good grades is because of the opportunity. 2.2 hardly get the opportunity to prove themselves. But sha God dey

3 Likes

Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by Kelklein(m): 10:12pm On May 20, 2015
[size=15pt] like seriously....what is the difference btw 2.2 and 3rd class anywayz....? [/size]

1 Like

Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by Notion(m): 10:12pm On May 20, 2015
After all said and done if u don't grad with 2.1 or 1.1 my guy u are on d long tin in labour market

1 Like

Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by Nobody: 10:13pm On May 20, 2015
Most 2:2 and 3 third class student's are more successful and I keep wondering y?

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by CountDracula(m): 10:13pm On May 20, 2015
haibe:
what has Eeya got to do with this again
Dakun bi google

3 Likes

Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by Notion(m): 10:13pm On May 20, 2015
Kelklein:
ur booking no get mate bros

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Air Force : Successful Candidates For 2017 Recruit Training - Batch B / Share Your Remote Job/ Hustle / Elf/total Is Recruiting Now! [from Today's Papers]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.