Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,636 members, 7,801,835 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 01:24 AM

6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop - Jobs/Vacancies (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop (44461 Views)

FCSC: A Country Where 3rd Class Is Considered Above Msc + Bsc (2.1) / Discrimination Against Graduates From State Universities / Australia Government MSc Scholarship For Nigerians- 3rd Class Can Apply (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by Nobody: 11:39pm On May 20, 2015
StealthIdeals:
I graduated with 2.2 and heaven will not fall. Let the employers go to hell. I will make it without their impetus. And if you are a first class student reading this post, especially some of you that read Community Development or Secretarial Studies, I'm far better than you are.
...bros u don vexx??
Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by Nobody: 11:42pm On May 20, 2015
haibe:
CBTs are cost effective and easier to carry out dude. Just program the computer to do what it ought to do.. rather than doing it in hard copies for crying out loud
Oga, you are not in a position to tell a company the way and manner the test should be conducted. What the good companies do these days is to send an online assessment one can do at one's comfort. Still, majority of these companies still put a minimum of 2 1. This is to let you know aside screening out candidate, they have got some other reasons which may be of great value to them. I think one is simply the quality of education in Nigeria.
Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by babyfaceafrica: 11:42pm On May 20, 2015
StealthIdeals:
I graduated with 2.2 and heaven will not fall. Let the employers go to hell. I will make it without their impetus. And if you are a first class student reading this post, especially some of you that read Community Development or Secretarial Studies, I'm far better than you are.
please don't ever look down at any course.. A first class in dancing and running from a reputable university will whip ur silly ass....individuals with first class are good!!!

6 Likes

Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by Richmond996: 11:54pm On May 20, 2015
Kelklein:
[size=15pt] like seriously....what is the difference btw 2.2 and 3rd class anywayz....? [/size]

3rd class is "let my people go"

1 Like

Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by Wonder1844(m): 11:54pm On May 20, 2015
In as much as i dont discriminate class but i tink there is no excuse 2 failure. And i dnt tink any clever student wil graduate with a 3rd class.
Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by emmatok(m): 11:57pm On May 20, 2015
babyfaceafrica:
please don't ever look down at any course.. A first class in dancing and running from a reputable university will whip ur silly ass....individuals with first class are good!!!

Cool down, You people just like exaggerating .
A first class in Dancing from any reputable university is not even qualified for any Masters in engineering or Other sciences.

But 2.2 go for Masters in their related fields.
Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by Nobody: 11:58pm On May 20, 2015
babyfaceafrica:
I can swear that, in my 5 years at Lautech, I never attended any lecture intentionally except whenever a lecturer surfaces at the lecture hall while I'm playing with my friends. This is because I've never thought any certificate can make my life better. I saw lecture notes of final year students of Maths/Edu frm a certain university, I tell you, if I'm already slumbering when questions from those notes are tabled before me, I will solve them with a speed of light despite that I studied Animal Science. And if a grad of Pure and Applied Maths frm Lautech and those Maths/Edu grads seek employment with Teaching Service Commission, they would say the former is not a qualified teacher. Bunch of jokers! If those dudes graduate frm Lautech after 8 years for a 5-year course, they should go for thanksgiving in a cathedral.

2 Likes

Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by emmatok(m): 12:00am On May 21, 2015
Wonder1844:
In as much as i dont discriminate class but i tink there is no excuse 2 failure. And i dnt tink any clever student wil graduate with a 3rd class.
Failures are dropouts, in University the least is Pass.
I heard PASS will be scrapped.

1 Like

Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by Alfred234(m): 12:00am On May 21, 2015
Sometimes its not that the students are not intelligent like in my school especially my department our lecturers are so wicked ehn they enjoy it when students fail they like marking students down if u combine all the students in my department from 100level to 500level you can only get 3 people that are in 1st class few people are having 2.1 and most people are having 2.2 and 3rd class. After they will come and say that we are the future of tomorrow but they are destroying our future with the stupid grades they give us. Some lecturers are just wicked. God will help us I don't even want their first class self they should just give my 2.1 jeje.

2 Likes

Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by babyfaceafrica: 12:01am On May 21, 2015
emmatok:

Cool down, You people just like exaggerating .
A first class in Dancing from any reputable university is not even qualified for any Masters in engineering or Other sciences.

But 2.2 go for Masters in their related fields.

so if you don't do engineering or sciences ,you are useless?..I beg to difer...first class in any course is not a joke!!!!!!

3 Likes

Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by haibe(m): 12:03am On May 21, 2015
"(sometimes discrimination against) distinct treatment of an individual or group to their disadvantage; treatment or consideration based on class or category rather than individual merit; partiality; prejudice; bigotry"

I got that from the dictionary. . Are u still insisting treating 3rd class graduates differently from 1st class is not discrimination? Dude it may be their choice but their choice is such that discriminates againts these class of people (2:2 3rd class Pass).. So what are you arguing here again, is it english language that is the problem? That you wont employ a third class is because you have pre-judged he doesnt have what it takes.. all this falls under the definition of discrimination as you can see above.

majekdom2:
discrimination is simply when one's expertise, knowledge and qualification matches the [b]job requirements and responsibilities [/b]but one is being denied. Pls read and understand the bolded. If the HR says this is what they require, it is what they require as at that time. You can't call one's choice discrimination because it does not suit you.
Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by Nobody: 12:05am On May 21, 2015
Adewunmismith:
...bros u don vexx??
I hate all these threads about 2.2 parole. My best friend studied Food Science and Engineering in Lautech and graduated with third class. This guy is brilliant; I can vouch for him about this. But ended up with that grade 'cause of some issues.

1 Like

Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by Nobody: 12:09am On May 21, 2015
babyfaceafrica:
so if you don't do engineering or sciences ,you are useless?..I beg to difer...first class in any course is not a joke!!!!!!
I hope you didn't study fashion and tailoring technology?

1 Like

Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by babyfaceafrica: 12:11am On May 21, 2015
StealthIdeals:
I hope you didn't study fashion and tailoring technology?
what an individual studies does not make him...its his effort that matters....I repeat any individual that makes first class in any course should be respected...no be beans!!!!

3 Likes

Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by Nobody: 12:11am On May 21, 2015
emmatok:

The irony is that these first class and 2.1 graduates are the most unemployed set of graduates in Nigeria.
Most of them believe their grades must give them automatic jobs so they keep looking for jobs.

Its difficult to see 2.2 and Third class graduate looking for jobs since they know the employers mentality.
They simply create their own jobs.

I have never met an unemployed First Class (after at least 6 months post-NYSC)

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by haibe(m): 12:12am On May 21, 2015
Dubemkelly:

You can as well pay for JOB online tests since your alma mater Unilag does such...
Am sure the money paid for buying the form is merely for the CBT.. we all know its all a way to extort.. am sure you came across this PushCv? You know they organised a CBT for the thousands of people that registered in their site? Did they collect 10kobo? Guy wake up, the world has advanced.. I see no reason why CBTs shouldn't even be used in the first place. Something u can do at the convenience of ur home. And will save the stress for both the applicant and employers
Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by Nobody: 12:16am On May 21, 2015
StealthIdeals:
I hate all these threads about 2.2 parole. My best friend studied Food Science and Engineering in Lautech and graduated with third class. This guy is brilliant; I can vouch for him about this. But ended up with that grade 'cause of some issues.
Yea bro things are like that,i understand,in some departments like mine,even to graduate with 2.2 no b moi moi
Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by emmatok(m): 12:17am On May 21, 2015
babyfaceafrica:

I didn't say first class is a joke, but it's restricted to his field of sturdy.

A first class in accounting cannot teach any engineering or sciences graduate his job irrespective of grades.

You can only teach what you learn
Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by emmatok(m): 12:23am On May 21, 2015
Jarus:

I have never met an unemployed First Class (after at least 6 months post-NYSC)

LOL, in Nigeria where PHDS are unemployed. grin
Except the once their University retained, the rest are off to job market.
Out of frustration some go for the masters and PHDS.

I see them in UNILAG every time, no jobs and they keep reading.

2 Likes

Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by Nobody: 12:25am On May 21, 2015
majekdom2:
Oga, you are not in a position to tell a company the way and manner the test should be conducted. What the good companies do these days is to send an online assessment one can do at one's comfort. Still, majority of these companies still put a minimum of 2 1. This is to let you know aside screening out candidate, they have got some other reasons which may be of great value to them. I think one is simply the quality of education in Nigeria.

A 2'2 or 3rd class grad can defend his certificate better than a 2'1 or 1st class grad. In most cases, not all the time though.

1 Like

Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by charlesucheh(m): 12:28am On May 21, 2015
xfire:
This is based solely on my personal opinion and is not binding on anyone or organization. It is however to encourage all graduates that they can succeed in life regardless of their grade. Read on:

SOURCE: http://www.jarushub.com/6-reasons-why-discrimination-against-2-2-and-3rd-class-graduates-should-stop/

well said, i graduated with a CGPA of 3.48(2.2) and most of my colleagues, with 3.50 and above and they are regarded as 2.1 student while i, the 2.2. Now you see how frustrating the discrimination you talked about can be. Even the Nigerian Navy uses the 2.1 and above criteria for recruitment into DSSC haba! It's not fair on our path na. I can only boast of doing my m.sc in any school of my choice independent of getting a lucrative JOB!!!

2 Likes

Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by Nobody: 12:34am On May 21, 2015
Wonder1844:

What will you say about Bill Gates , Tony Elumelu(3rd class) , Gani Fawehinmi?
Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by takleboy(m): 12:48am On May 21, 2015
Like sm1 said he made 2.2 and heaven will not fall, thats just it!!!. Its better not to come here and defend yr weakness, i made 2.2 so whose fault is it? To whom am i going to point accusing fingers? Who will sympathise wit ma defficiency? None? Just move on with life and see the best u can do for yrsef though its not easy Nigeria here even with good results let alone the not too good results but Victory is from God.
wia i work now got to invite me tru an institution wia i was undergoing a technical trainee in engineering, i was interviewed base on d skills i claimed to av, none ever asked me ma class of results not even ma NYSC cert. Cors i was employed bfr i passed out of service as an intern though. anyway i dont plan to stay long there cors i need to progress in ma career and put aside dis hurdle of 2.2 tin as i will roundup ma Msc program soon.
To the Firstclass and 2.1, i know somany worked hard for it and so they deserved it, i witnessed the struggle many of them had for it was not easy. But discrimation doesnt wat it as there shud b a system to reward classes accordingly

2 Likes

Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by Nobody: 12:56am On May 21, 2015
majekdom2:
Did not read through tho... but just to correct the notion as seen in the topic. I don't see any discrimination. Each company to its' own. Some companies still go for 2 2. In all, we know life is not fair and can never be fair. No one remembers the runner up.
guy abeg read the article. Stop disgracing Nigerians.

3 Likes

Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by olanov78(m): 1:00am On May 21, 2015
Can someone tell me how to convert percentage to CGPA?
Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by chyna4luv: 1:23am On May 21, 2015
Notion:
After all said and done if u don't grad with 2.1 or 1.1 my guy u are on d long tin in labour market

Please, that is NOT true. when I was in school, I usually think that if you dont make upper crredit or distinction it will be hard to get good job. I have come to realize that your ability, smartness, potentials, skills is what counts when it comes to jobhunting.

Most of the successful people in the world today, had poor result. infact, I had HND lower credit, as I speak to you now, I am working with a bank with good pay. My deptl presido, came out with distinction, but he is still looking for job.

Though, passing out in good grades are good BUT its not a ticket to successful or getting a good job.

#GoodMorning

3 Likes

Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by lagbaja(m): 1:30am On May 21, 2015
If 2.1 and third class grads have points to prove, they don't need an employer to do that. Just like Bill Gates (people keep calling him a drop out and infer that he is below average, that's so untrue, only a genius would do what he did) and Richard Branson, they go all out by themselves to prove it. However, ask this guys what kind of people they recruit, they recruit people that are "smarter" than them. Now, that does not always mean 2.1 and First class grads are always smarter, we know of people who pay their way to get those results, we also know that first class from some university will not even get near a third class in some other universities. So, the bench marking can be wrong. That also informs the decision of employers to look at what institutions you graduated from, however, 80% of the time! the grades were right about the grads,

Like someone rightly said, aptitude test is one way to verify the prowess of job applicants. But then, where is the time and resources to do that for all categories of applicants. Employers would rather test those that were already tested and you can't blame them really, nothing so far has shown that they were wrong in their selection ( check out the fortune 100), otherwise they would have since changed their selection criteria.

Businesses have become highly competitive and you need the best team ( with the right combination of skills and personal aptitudes) to stand out. GE (General Electric), for example (in the days of Jack Welch) annually lays off the lowest performing 10th percentile of his employees, the result was a 4000% increase in revenue within a short time.

The Lesson is don't be caught napping. Make the hay while the sun shines.

By the way, first class and and 2.1 are in limited numbers so I don't expect them to win this debate.

On the flip side, success is not determined by grades. Your attitude determines your altitude.

2 Likes

Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by AreaFada2: 1:44am On May 21, 2015
Skywalker5:
i feel sorry for most 2.2 and 3rd class graduates in Nigeria. in developed countries, most don't even care what you graduate with as long as you have experience,enter through trainee or apprenticeship programs

That's not always true.

The best jobs still go to 1.1 & 2.1. Even those jobs that advertise 2.2 minimum may eventually end up employing 2.1 and above only.

A friend graduated from a top UK university with 2.2. He didn't get good jobs. Until he got his MSc.

Bu I also know of a 1.1 girl from a top UK university who struggled to get a job initially (I guess it was her salary expectation) but landed a plum job later on. I was already advising her to go for a PhD before she got the job. Yes, it was still easier to skip MSc with a 1.1 then.

1 Like

Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by AreaFada2: 2:01am On May 21, 2015
[quote

Businesses have become highly competitive and you need the best team ( with the right combination of skills and personal aptitudes) to stand out. Ge, for example annually lays off the lowest performing 10th percentile of his employees.

The Lesson is don't be caught napping. Make the hay while the sun shines.

By the way, first class and and 2.1 are in limited numbers so I don't expect them to win this debate.

On the flip side, success is not determined by grades. Your attitude determines your altitude.
[/quote].

Word.
It's not about winning the debate. The reality out there wins the debate on it's own. Citing a few outlier cases of success don't cut it.

Bill Gates & Mark Zuckerberg were Harvard students. Now dullards are hardly Harvard candidates.

It's cool to comfort oneself like this OP but the truth is that one had/has 3 to 4 years to get the best possible grade.
Some get 2.1 without being super smart but by dint of hardwork and being meticulous. These attitudes are also desirable in most work places.

Whereas some smart but lazy and carefree guys end up with lower grades.

By and large most people end up with grades that indicate their level of academic ability.

People then have the opportunity to use other skills to make up for any academic shortfall. Employment is not the only way to show off skills.

2 Likes

Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by 2emgee(m): 2:24am On May 21, 2015
I have a brilliant family friend who is a mechanical engineering graduate from one of the foremost federal universities in Nigeria. This guy incidentally graduated with a 3rd class after an extra year, you would wonder why ? he was a mere victim of religious circumstance and at the same time reaped the reward of being disobedient to his mother who warned him not to get involved in the school politics. This is a guy who has the best result in the class from 100L- 400L before contesting for the post of department president although he won overwhelmingly but was alleged to have ''stepped on toes''. The most pathetic part is that he hasn't been able to get himself a good job since NYSC 2009 though employers are always impressed by his transcripts and always ask him why he started excellently but finished so poorly even though he always prove his ability whenever he's put to test they always deny him based on the organization policy of minimum of second class lower
Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by kunlenkirol(m): 3:20am On May 21, 2015
To be sincere, Xfire u have a beautiful piece but unfortunately I do not buy some of your points esp ur allusions. First and foremost, I want you to know that ur success in life is not a matter of degree, certification oR intelligence. Experience has shown us that some first class graduates for example find it difficult to make it while some 2.1 or 2.2 find it easy to make it and vice versa. In other words, except the Lord build the house, the labourer labours in vain. What dis is saying is also that there is a supernatural hand in all we do. Having said that, that does not mean that one should be complacent
It is very true that many with lesser grades go extra miles to furnish and refurbish themselves to be employable. The hole I pick in your piece is that you make use of the words like "many, most " as if all 2.2 or 3rd class graduates make it. I think, it would have been more appealing if u had used the word "some".
Also, it is better to make good grade so as to save the stress of having to labour too long before one can get a job. What I am saying is that, your success doesn't depend on your grade but yet, students should try as much as they can to graduate with a good result. Despite that, I say thumbs up to your piece.

3 Likes

Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by Nobody: 3:33am On May 21, 2015
StealthIdeals:
I can swear that, in my 5 years at Lautech, I never attended any lecture intentionally except whenever a lecturer surfaces at the lecture hall while I'm playing with my friends. This is because I've never thought any certificate can make my life better. I saw lecture notes of final year students of Maths/Edu frm a certain university, I tell you, if I'm already slumbering when questions from those notes are tabled before me, I will solve them with a speed of light despite that I studied Animal Science. And if a grad of Pure and Applied Maths frm Lautech and those Maths/Edu grads seek employment with Teaching Service Commission, they would say the former is not a qualified teacher. Bunch of jokers! If those dudes graduate frm Lautech after 8 years for a 5-year course, they should go for thanksgiving in a cathedral.

if you were that good, you wont be here complaining neither would you have graduated with less than a 2.1.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Air Force : Successful Candidates For 2017 Recruit Training - Batch B / Share Your Remote Job/ Hustle / Elf/total Is Recruiting Now! [from Today's Papers]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.