Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,468 members, 7,808,677 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:15 PM

King Jaja Of Opobo And Wives In The 1870s [ Location: Rivers State ] - Culture (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / King Jaja Of Opobo And Wives In The 1870s [ Location: Rivers State ] (75069 Views)

Ooni Of Ogunwusi & King Jaja Of Opobo Pictured / Epic Photo Of King Jaja Of Opobo / Hero:king JAJA OF OPOBO Full Biography,history Battle With The British(pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: King Jaja Of Opobo And Wives In The 1870s [ Location: Rivers State ] by kingston277(m): 6:52pm On May 25, 2015
hahn:
All the "achievements" by our ancestors mean absolutely nothing if the modern day Africa still wallows in abject poverty, lack of electricity, diseases(ebola, which in this case the cure was created by the "whites" whome you detest so much), hunger, tribal wars and every anti-development situation you can think of.

And who do you think is The cause of all this backwards? Have you not heard of colonialism or do you think our ancestors suddenly forgot how to govern a country and regressed into what it is today? Use your brain.

hahn:
And you really can't compare that building in the pic with jaja's crib man. What's wrong with you? The Arabs you talk about see the negro as a totally inferior race. Why would you even bother comparing yourself to them?

That building in the pic is one example of widespread traditional architecture used all over England and Europe. And you still didn't negate my point about the Arab architecture.

hahn:
Yes, white ladies walk around halfnude but even you, no matter how deluded you are, can't ignore how Africans condemn such actions NOW. Right now in Africa, a lady can't get molested and raped in broad daylight for putting on a see through dress. Not in all cases but it has happened. Africans criticize nudity even more than the whites.

You only have your gullible forefathers to blame.

hahn:
Take your head out of the butt of THEN and smell the fart of NOW. Africa is a shadow of its past glory and its very annoying to have to waste my precious battery life, since there is no fuel to power my gen, to chat with a low self-esteemed afro american(or whatever you like to be called these days) over what is going on PRESENTLY in Africa as opposed to what you've read in your history books.
This argument has been going on for so long, it seems you have forgotten the original point. Pre-colonial Africa was advanced back then. If our forefathers were able to achieve what they could, what's stopping us from doing the same level? If they could run stable governments with a entails for their people and live under accountability, what stopping us?
Why are the likes of you condemning you ancestors for "semi-primitiveness" and praising a foreign people that are rife with cultural corruption of their own thanks to centuries of European born superstition and backwardness? Stop with the inferiority complex and learn to learn from people who have been through similar trials you are currently in.

1 Like

Re: King Jaja Of Opobo And Wives In The 1870s [ Location: Rivers State ] by hpk(m): 10:14am On Jun 01, 2015
zendy:

Some people may not know it but King Jaja of Opobo was an Igbo slave from Orlu in present day Imo state who was sold into slavery. I read somewhere that they still speak some form of Igbo in Opobo.
very true, my god father is from nkoro and they speak igbo but not in its raw form.
Re: King Jaja Of Opobo And Wives In The 1870s [ Location: Rivers State ] by Adesiji77: 2:32pm On Jun 13, 2015
Ishilove:
Why is it that 90% of the posters on this thread are men?

Men ehn, una no dey use eye see boobs. Una must vibrate. Mscheeeew.

grin

Just like you... lipsrsealed

1 Like 1 Share

Re: King Jaja Of Opobo And Wives In The 1870s [ Location: Rivers State ] by Ilamina(f): 9:07pm On Jan 17, 2019
I heard white people didn't look good either at the beginning undecided

Those women look lipsrsealed
Re: King Jaja Of Opobo And Wives In The 1870s [ Location: Rivers State ] by Nobody: 9:36pm On Jun 01, 2019
I want to learn this kind of spaces! Teach me. tongue
Re: King Jaja Of Opobo And Wives In The 1870s [ Location: Rivers State ] by RuggedSniper: 4:00pm On Nov 24, 2020
Maxtermind:
King Jaja of Opobo poses during a photo session in 1887

AND

Wives of King Jaja of Opobo (in present day Rivers State) in circa 1870. Source: J. A. da Cunha Moraes

credits: http://www.nairawall.com/rivers/opobo-nkoro/photos/186
The advanced history books I've read on Nigerian history since the early 1980s clearly state that Ijaw/Ibani (Bonny) traditions forbid a slave, ex-slave, or a freeborn from being made a king or Amanyanabo. So how did Jaja, a former slave (from Umuduruoha clan of Amaigbo in Imo State) who got naturalized into the Ijaw/Bonny ethnicity, become an Amanyanabo or king in Opobo (which was a part of Ikot Abasi in Ibibioland) on running in away in canoes with some male supporters from Bonny in 1870? "This is a historical scam that is being dished out online and in schools." Jaja was referred to as a BRUTAL middleman chief and NOT a king in the British archival records. Jaja's Ibo father was also a known slave trader! Jaja was very brutal (he murdered and beheaded people) and prevented the interior ethnicities along the river trade routes from trading peacefully with the British, who then deported the arrogant and ungrateful guy. He gave out 50 male mercenaries to the British to use during the Anglo-Ashanti War. This man called Jaja was not a true African nationalist like we were made to believe in bogus, covert propaganda right from the Nigerian primary school Social Studies curriculum.

1 Share

Re: King Jaja Of Opobo And Wives In The 1870s [ Location: Rivers State ] by RuggedSniper: 4:43pm On Nov 24, 2020
TheRealAdonye:
That's true. Our Igbo isn't mainstream but we hear other dialects.
And the Igbo we speak was formed because of the trade in Palm oil with the people of Ndoki and Azumini. We learnt the language because of trade.

The main language in Opobo is supposed to be Ibani which is akin to what is spoken by the Kalabari but Alas, almost everyone speaks our dialect of Igbo now.
However, a conscious effort is being made to bring back Ibani as a language understood and spoken by Opobians.

1 Share

Re: King Jaja Of Opobo And Wives In The 1870s [ Location: Rivers State ] by AmuDimpka: 8:22pm On Nov 24, 2020
VickyRotex:
Seriously? And those women were comfortable that way? angry

Thanks to Civilization undecided
is your own like that
Re: King Jaja Of Opobo And Wives In The 1870s [ Location: Rivers State ] by chuxjay(m): 6:39pm On Nov 29, 2020
DBlackCeazer:
I personally know one of his descendant,he is a good friend and we share the same first name.

I know one too.....maybe it's same person. He's a tech guru
Re: King Jaja Of Opobo And Wives In The 1870s [ Location: Rivers State ] by Abovebonny: 12:56am On Dec 05, 2020
VickyRotex:
Seriously? And those women were comfortable that way? angry

Thanks to Civilization undecided

And your great grandmothers also used to dress the same way, have some respect you dunce

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! / Wells Carlton Hotel Staff Prostrate To Welcome Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi / Ooni Adeyeye-Ogunwusi Remarries As Marriage Crashes - SDK (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.