Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,459 members, 7,808,635 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:34 PM

Oil Marketers Resume Loading Of Petroleum Products As Strike Suspended - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Oil Marketers Resume Loading Of Petroleum Products As Strike Suspended (1491 Views)

FG Moves To Reduce Trucking Of Petroleum Products / NNPC Blames Fuel Scarcity On Vandals, Unscrupulous Oil Marketers - VANGUARD / FG Approves Immediate Payment Of 413 Billion Naira To Oil Marketers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Oil Marketers Resume Loading Of Petroleum Products As Strike Suspended by mizkeleke(f): 9:00am On May 26, 2015
Loading of petroleum products commenced at fuel depots in Apapa, Lagos, on Monday afternoon, although Nigerians are still counting the cost of the crippling energy crisis.

The resumption of product loading followed the suspension of the strike by marketers and workers of the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation.

Two marketers confirmed the development to one of our correspondents in separate telephone interviews.

The marketers, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said Nipco and Capital Oil loaded products on Monday.

One of them, who is a member of the Major Oil Marketers Association of Nigeria, said all the major marketers were likely to commence loading today (Tuesday).

It was gathered that other depot owners aside from Nipco and Capital Oil could not start loading on Monday because they did not have facilities for overnight loading.

Another marketer said normalcy would likely return to the depots by Friday as the current product scarcity had already eaten deep into the system.

In Abuja, marketers of petroleum products resolved to mobilise their members for the immediate distribution of fuel across the country at a public hearing organised by the Joint Senate Committee on Petroleum Resources (Upstream and Downstream).

The Co-Chairman of the joint committee, Senator Magnus Abe, who read a communique signed by the representatives of the major stakeholders, explained that the Minister of Finance, Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, and others at the meeting unanimously agreed to the deal in interest of the nation.

He also explained that following the intervention of the Group Managing Director, Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation, Dr. Joseph Dawah, the strike embarked upon by the Nigeria Union of Petroleum and Natural Gas Workers and the Petroleum and Natural Gas Senior Staff Association of Nigeria had been called off.

Abe said that the Executive Secretary, Major Oil Marketers Association of Nigeria, Mr. Obafemi Olawore, had agreed to direct members of the body nationwide to start lifting petroleum products from 7pm on Monday, while the body equally agreed to pay the National Association of Road Transport Owners the transport cost for the products that would be determined by them.

The energy crisis currently rocking the nation has thrown the manufacturing sector into a near state of redundancy.

While lots of the manufacturers have embarked on working half schedules to cope, others are planning to shut down production completely until the situation improves.

Some of the manufacturers, who spoke to one of our correspondents in Lagos, said they had decided to cut down their working hours because of the acute shortage of petroleum products and electricity to run their factories.

A pure water maker, Mandu Obi, said he was buying diesel for N800 per litre instead of the previous N150.

“My plant needs about 1,000 litres of diesel to work every day. For a small business owner like me, I don’t see how I can keep up with such expenses. I had 1,500 litres of diesel left from last week and this morning, I decided to top it only to spend four times what I usually spend on a litre of diesel,” she recounted.

The President, Manufacturers Association of Nigeria, Mr. Frank Jacobs, said manufacturers were losing a lot of money as a result of the energy crisis.

He added that no one could put a figure to the amount being lost, but admitted that the manufacturers were losing a lot of money.

The Director-General, Lagos Chamber of Commerce and Industry, Mr. Muda Yusuf, said the situation had completely crippled the manufacturing sector.

He said, “A lot of people are cutting down their working hours. Some companies have also shut down. It is a very bad situation. It is crippling businesses that depend on diesel and fuel.

“It is affecting productivity because instead of working for eight hours, companies are forced to work for only two or three hours.

“The public power situation is not reliable and the fall-back position is diesel or petrol"

Re: Oil Marketers Resume Loading Of Petroleum Products As Strike Suspended by Nobody: 9:03am On May 26, 2015
Am tired and sick of dis "change" lipsrsealed
Re: Oil Marketers Resume Loading Of Petroleum Products As Strike Suspended by alberto2k(m): 9:22am On May 26, 2015
My power bank sef don geh belle cuz of Generator charge and over usage ;'( angry
Re: Oil Marketers Resume Loading Of Petroleum Products As Strike Suspended by naija1stpikin: 9:23am On May 26, 2015
alberto2k:
My power bank sef don geh belle cuz of Generator charge and over usage ;'( angry

I wish your power bank safe delivery cheesy
Re: Oil Marketers Resume Loading Of Petroleum Products As Strike Suspended by alberto2k(m): 9:34am On May 26, 2015
naija1stpikin:

I wish your power bank safe delivery cheesy
Thank u bro cry

itz been 8days now. . . and we haven't heard anyone scream "up nepa" angry
Re: Oil Marketers Resume Loading Of Petroleum Products As Strike Suspended by mizkeleke(f): 10:24am On May 26, 2015
alberto2k:
lol.
Alberto how are you
Re: Oil Marketers Resume Loading Of Petroleum Products As Strike Suspended by mizkeleke(f): 10:25am On May 26, 2015
alberto2k:
Thank u bro cry

There is light in my area now
Re: Oil Marketers Resume Loading Of Petroleum Products As Strike Suspended by naija1stpikin: 10:25am On May 26, 2015
alberto2k:
Thank u bro cry

Nigeria will rise again
Re: Oil Marketers Resume Loading Of Petroleum Products As Strike Suspended by naija1stpikin: 10:26am On May 26, 2015
mizkeleke:

There is light in my area now

Where is your area?
Re: Oil Marketers Resume Loading Of Petroleum Products As Strike Suspended by alberto2k(m): 10:30am On May 26, 2015
mizkeleke:

lol.
Alberto how are you
AMU fine jare. . . bia, Why u sef scarce like fuel na? undecided
Re: Oil Marketers Resume Loading Of Petroleum Products As Strike Suspended by nasoweseeam: 10:38am On May 26, 2015
Fuel palaver bites harder. Na so we see am of Naija.
#fuelcrisis

1 Like

Re: Oil Marketers Resume Loading Of Petroleum Products As Strike Suspended by mizkeleke(f): 7:45pm On May 26, 2015
alberto2k:
AMU fine jare. . . bia, Why u sef scarce like fuel na? undecided
Lol.
Amu around ni
Re: Oil Marketers Resume Loading Of Petroleum Products As Strike Suspended by mizkeleke(f): 7:46pm On May 26, 2015
naija1stpikin:

Where is your area?
Alakahia

(1) (Reply)

Do You Know The Vice-president Elect Yemi Osibanjo? Read This. / Buhari’s Daughter Allegedly Walks Lady Out Of Boutique In Abuja(see Tweets) / a

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.