Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,712 members, 7,805,932 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 08:40 AM

Remove Fuel Subsidy – Saraki Tells Buhari - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Remove Fuel Subsidy – Saraki Tells Buhari (29728 Views)

Ministers Without Portfolio Not New In Nigeria, Saraki Tells Buhari / "Keep Quite" Saraki Tells APC Senators / Saraki tells 3 Ex-Presidents, Influential Nigerians To Come To His Rescue-Nation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Remove Fuel Subsidy – Saraki Tells Buhari by midolian(m): 11:59am On May 26, 2015
The Chairman, Senate Committee on Environment and Ecology and former governor of Kwara State, Senator Bukola Saraki, has disclosed that the country was losing a total of $2 billion to fake fuel subsidy operators, arguing that the fuel subsidy management in the country was a very big platform for fraud.

Saraki bemoaned that the alleged fraud in the subsidy scheme has been allowed to continue unabated, calling on the incoming administration of General Muhammadu Buhari to completely remove the fuel subsidy and restore normalcy to the petroleum sector.

The senate presidency aspirant stated this yesterday while speakig with journalists in Abuaj, accusing the government of issuing import licenses to very bogus number of companies totaling 82 and being used by oil marketers and government officials to rip off the national treasury on yearly basis.

According to Saraki, it would be better to remove the fuel subsidy and deliver the sector and the citizenry from the grip of racketeers in the industry, who would never allow things to work well because of their personal aggrandizement, adding that subsidy in itself was never a problem to the country but the bad management of the subsidy, which he said had been turned into a huge racket that created the lingering crisis in the oil sector.

He said: “No matter what is happening now, if you go back to look at it, the major issue that dwindled us was the subsidy management. We are talking of about minimum of over $32 billion wasted on it over the last five to six years.

“That is the difference between where we are now and that time. It has impacted on our exchange rate, it is going to impact on our infrastructure, there is no money for capital budget.”

http://dailypost.ng/2015/05/26/remove-fuel-subsidy-saraki-tells-buhari/

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Remove Fuel Subsidy – Saraki Tells Buhari by 9jii(m): 12:00pm On May 26, 2015
Re: Remove Fuel Subsidy – Saraki Tells Buhari by skondo09(m): 12:02pm On May 26, 2015
subsidy ko subsidy ni
i dnt evn read d godo turanchi write up

e sweet me die as i be 2nd persn on dis ftc, i hv been aiming dis 4 d past two mnth since i reg on NL
Re: Remove Fuel Subsidy – Saraki Tells Buhari by Ezenwammadu(m): 12:03pm On May 26, 2015
Hypocrisy is when you where abusing GEJ for trying remove fuel subsidy in 2012 and now screaming remove fuel subsidy

229 Likes 33 Shares

Re: Remove Fuel Subsidy – Saraki Tells Buhari by barry40: 12:10pm On May 26, 2015
It is better to remove the subsidy. If Nigerians had agreed to this move, we wouldn't have been in this mess. Subsidy is not working. With subsidy, Nigerians still pay far more than what they would have paid if subsidy is removed. Imagine people queued up for fuel at N300. What business will they use that one for? Meaning that businesses that rely heavily on fuel has to increase the prices of their products or services. In a situation where this is not possible, loss is inevitable. God helps Nigeria

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Remove Fuel Subsidy – Saraki Tells Buhari by PassingShot(m): 12:13pm On May 26, 2015
midolian:
Saraki bemoaned that the alleged fraud in the subsidy scheme has been allowed to continue unabated, calling on the incoming administration of General Muhammadu Buhari to completely remove the fuel subsidy and restore normalcy to the petroleum sector.
The subsidy is surely a big fraud by top government officials and the oil cabals to steal us blind.

midolian:
The senate presidency aspirant stated this yesterday while speakig with journalists in Abuaj, accusing the government of issuing import licenses to very bogus number of companies totaling 82 and being used by oil marketers and government officials to rip off the national treasury on yearly basis.
This is one of my problems with NOI. She failed big time in this area.

midolian:
According to Saraki, it would be better to remove the fuel subsidy and deliver the sector and the citizenry from the grip of racketeers in the industry, who would never allow things to work well because of their personal aggrandizement, adding that subsidy in itself was never a problem to the country but the bad management of the subsidy, which he said had been turned into a huge racket that created the lingering crisis in the oil sector.
There was never anything as subsidy. If there was, we would have been buying fuel for below N50 per litter. What exists is an imaginary subsidy where our money is being shared among the cabals. We shall hear more revelations VERY SOON!

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Remove Fuel Subsidy – Saraki Tells Buhari by Beremx(f): 12:17pm On May 26, 2015
How much will a litre of fuel be sold for then?

I cannot be against the removal of fuel subsidy in 2012 and be in favour of it in 2015. That's sheer hypocrisy.

45 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Remove Fuel Subsidy – Saraki Tells Buhari by Nobody: 12:18pm On May 26, 2015
Its imperative on GMB already as he himself does not believe in subsidy. This era of change will have a ripple effect on all and sundry but whoever affects directly or indirectly should take it in good faith be it Saraki himself or whoever.

3 Likes

Re: Remove Fuel Subsidy – Saraki Tells Buhari by PassingShot(m): 12:20pm On May 26, 2015
It's unthinkable that PDP could not get our refineries to work to full capacity in sixteen years!

16 Likes

Re: Remove Fuel Subsidy – Saraki Tells Buhari by Ttalk: 12:21pm On May 26, 2015
"adding that subsidy in itself was never a problem to the country but the bad management of the subsidy"
Telling the incoming government to remove subsidy is diversion of responsibility, rather i will want government to restructure the system and make it work thereby making Nigerian using the subsidy management as yardstick to judge the incoming government effectiveness and efficiency.

Let put the cart before horse, Saraki should tell the incoming government to find a lasting solution to make our refinery work. The idea of extracting crude oil only to be refined in the less buoyant economy like Ivory Coast is sickening, abeg!

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Remove Fuel Subsidy – Saraki Tells Buhari by opiaoku: 12:21pm On May 26, 2015
Beremx:

I cannot be against the removal of fuel subsidy in 2012 and be in favour of it in 2015. That's sheer hypocrisy.

hmmmm berem is that you speaking or another person.

well to me removal of fuel subsidy is good but it's when the money is used for a tangible thing that will benefit the lowest class of the masses e.g if the money can be used in refurbishing our refineries it will be better.

10 Likes

Re: Remove Fuel Subsidy – Saraki Tells Buhari by Paspane: 12:26pm On May 26, 2015
i just siddon dey observe una
Re: Remove Fuel Subsidy – Saraki Tells Buhari by Beremx(f): 12:27pm On May 26, 2015
opiaoku:

hmmmm berem is that you speaking or another person.

well to me removal of fuel subsidy is good but it's when the money is used for a tangible thing that will benefit the lowest class of the masses e.g if the money can be used in refurbishing our refineries it will be better.
I am more bothered how much fuel will be sold. Nigerians have suffered so much

2 Likes

Re: Remove Fuel Subsidy – Saraki Tells Buhari by joseph1832(m): 12:27pm On May 26, 2015
So if they remove this subsidy how much will a litre of petrol be? Given that our refineries are still not working and power is still epileptic as ever.

My take, before this subsidy of a thing is remove, we must be refining our own crude oil products and our refineries should be working at 100% capacity.

If they say subsidy brings fraud, I wonder which government venture doesn't yield to fraud in Nigeria. They shout fraud, fraud and fraud in the oil sector, they should take a look Apapa Wharf!.

4 Likes

Re: Remove Fuel Subsidy – Saraki Tells Buhari by onatisi(m): 12:32pm On May 26, 2015
The same set of people that sponsored and organised violent protests against the removal of fuel subsidy in 2012 because they weren't in power are ones now clamoring for it because they are now in power. Splendid!!!!!!!

74 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Remove Fuel Subsidy – Saraki Tells Buhari by ogb5(m): 12:50pm On May 26, 2015
Saraki don't worry, those who kicked against subsidy removal in 2012 are still very much around to kick against it in 2015. Anyway olodo Buhari has said that there is no subsidy, so nothing to remove.

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Remove Fuel Subsidy – Saraki Tells Buhari by lolababe331e: 12:55pm On May 26, 2015
Beremx:

It's not hypocrisy, many of us understood the reason for it then but didn't trust GEJ and knew he and his cronies would steal any money saved from paying subsidy. Buhari on the other hand I trust, that's the difference

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Remove Fuel Subsidy – Saraki Tells Buhari by CHM11: 1:22pm On May 26, 2015
Beremx:

Huh??

It seems this woman's account has been hacked oh!!!... Wow...she's making sense

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Remove Fuel Subsidy – Saraki Tells Buhari by oshyno(m): 1:22pm On May 26, 2015
Hypocricy at its peak. Well am waiting to see ojota occupiers on what they have to say to it.

If I remember corectly the reason for APC kicking against it was bcuz they wanted FG to fix d refineries first b4 emarking on it. Just asking if the refineris are working uptimally though.

Oga Saraki , Tinubu, Fash over.

27 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Remove Fuel Subsidy – Saraki Tells Buhari by HzRF(m): 1:28pm On May 26, 2015
PassingShot:

The subsidy is surely a big fraud by top government officials and the oil cabals to steal us blind.

This is one of my problems with NOI. She failed big time in this area.

There was never anything as subsidy. If there was, we would have been buying fuel for below N50 per litter. What exists is an imaginary subsidy where our money is being shared among the cabals. We shall hear more revelations VERY SOON!
I hope you are not among those who against this in 2012
Even using it as campaign

7 Likes

Re: Remove Fuel Subsidy – Saraki Tells Buhari by Nobody: 1:29pm On May 26, 2015
With Subsidy removed, a litre of Fuel will be 155naira. That is the price of 1 litre in Ghana. i support the removal. Subsidy favour d rich more than d poor. The more d number of cars and generator you have, d more you gain from fuel subsidy. Nigeria can cope with even 160naira per liter. As long as d money gained from d removal of sunsidy is channelled to building of Refinery.

1 Like

Re: Remove Fuel Subsidy – Saraki Tells Buhari by Nobody: 1:30pm On May 26, 2015
joseph1832:
So if they remove this subsidy how much will a litre of petrol be? Given that our refineries are still not working and power is still epileptic as ever.

My take, before this subsidy of a thing is remove, we must be refining our own crude oil products and our refineries should be working at 100% capacity.

If they say subsidy brings fraud, I wonder which government venture doesn't yield to fraud in Nigeria. They shout fraud, fraud and fraud in the oil sector, they should take a look Apapa Wharf!.

A liter will be 155naira to 160 naira. that is s price of 1 litre in Ghana
Re: Remove Fuel Subsidy – Saraki Tells Buhari by onatisi(m): 1:31pm On May 26, 2015
lolababe331e:

It's not hypocrisy, many of us understood the reason for it then but didn't trust GEJ and knew he and his cronies would steal any money saved from paying subsidy. Buhari on the other hand I trust, that's the difference
your post makes no sense. So because u didn't trust gej ,u allowed the nation to lose about 20billion dollars to oil marketers and to punish the nation for 4 solid years so that when u come into power u will remove itdoes that make any common sense to u? Do u know how much nigeria has lost as payments to these oil marketers within 4years

61 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Remove Fuel Subsidy – Saraki Tells Buhari by HzRF(m): 1:34pm On May 26, 2015
lolababe331e:

Trash
So becuz u trust Buhari he should remove it

36 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Remove Fuel Subsidy – Saraki Tells Buhari by Flets: 1:34pm On May 26, 2015
All of a sudden APC has become the champions of subsidy removal after conniving with the petroleum marketers to stage the occupy protest.

Now they have used poor ignorant Nigerians to wangle their way into govt and now they cannot wait to fix the refineries as they suggested back then..... They want to outrightly take it out.

Guess who was fooled afterwards?

Buhari once said there was no subsidy, so what do they intend to remove if there was no subsidy?

David west said there was no subsidy and that PMS will see for 40 naira per litre under APC...... Which subsidy is Saraki then referring to?

Nigeria's problem is not the corrupt leadership but rather the ignorant and illiterate followership aided by the crude mob mentality. Otherwise, we would have been asking the right questions

34 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Remove Fuel Subsidy – Saraki Tells Buhari by onatisi(m): 1:37pm On May 26, 2015
oshyno:
Hypocricy at its peak. Well am waiting to see ojota occupiers on what they have to say to it.

If I remember corectly the reason for APC kicking against it was bcuz they wanted FG to fix d refineries first b4 emarking on it. Just asking if the refineris are working uptimally though.

Oga Saraki , Tinubu, Fash over.
I remember vividly well ,ppl like falana and co were abusing and insulting NOI and SLS . The same reasons they gave then against the oil subsidy removal is the same reasons nigerians will give them now. If they forced gej to pay it for 4 years let's see how they will pay it for 4years and do anything tangible .

12 Likes

Re: Remove Fuel Subsidy – Saraki Tells Buhari by steppin: 1:38pm On May 26, 2015
Huh?
APC and hypocrisy is like "Oka na Ube"(Corn and pear)
The same people who protested and danced against removal of subsidy.
Now, they want #Babaonechance to remove it.
*Spits*

19 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Remove Fuel Subsidy – Saraki Tells Buhari by atlwireles: 1:43pm On May 26, 2015
Only in Nigeria grin grin grin grin

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Remove Fuel Subsidy – Saraki Tells Buhari by Nobody: 1:43pm On May 26, 2015
onatisi:
I remember vividly well ,ppl like falana and co were abusing and insulting NOI and SLS . The same reasons they gave then against the oil subsidy removal is the same reasons nigerians will give them now. If they forced gej to pay it for 4 years let's see how they will pay it for 4years and do anything tangible .

Go back to the reasons it was rejected in 2012 under Jonathan. We rejected it because of d stealing in Jonathan govt. People felt you will only be making sacrifice for politicians to steal. that is why d elites rejected it then. But with Buhari, we believe corruption will be reduced atleast in d presidency. we are confident of his integrity. with subsidy removal fuel will be 155naira to 160 naira. It will be d end of scarcity.

1 Like

Re: Remove Fuel Subsidy – Saraki Tells Buhari by Nobody: 1:46pm On May 26, 2015
onatisi:
your post makes no sense. So because u didn't trust gej ,u allowed the nation to lose about 20billion dollars to oil marketers and to punish the nation for 4 solid years so that when u come into power u will remove itdoes that make any common sense to u? Do u know how much nigeria has lost as payments to these oil marketers within 4years

ur point noted. Atleast u should be happy that most people are asking for d removal today since you supported d removal in 2012. As painful it may be to you as a supporter of Jonathan, election has past. is time to focus on What is best for Nigeria.
Re: Remove Fuel Subsidy – Saraki Tells Buhari by Nobody: 1:49pm On May 26, 2015
ogb5:
Saraki don't worry, those who kicked against subsidy removal in 2012 are still very much around to kick against it in 2015. Anyway olodo Buhari has said that there is no subsidy, so nothing to remove.
I can tell you, if Buhari remove subsidy today, d protest will be very weak. there wont be massive protest because majority of Nigeria will support it. in 2012 majority was against it . that is d difference. It was not d street protest that led to d reversal in 2012. It was NLC strike that reversed it. if NLC and TUC leadership can be convinced about it, that is d end of subsidy. currently NUPENG and PENGASSAN are calling fir d removal already in a subtle way.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Hafsat Abiola Costello Reacts To Hijab Controversy / Again, Wike Declares Rivers Christian State / Hamza Al-Mustapha Visits Asari Dokubo (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.