Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,672 members, 7,801,937 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 06:24 AM

Unknown Historical Figures: The Fighting Women Of Dahomey - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Unknown Historical Figures: The Fighting Women Of Dahomey (1173 Views)

Read About The Dahomey kingdom / Oba Of Benin - Erediauwa Akpolokpolo I - Dies Of Unknown Illness / Historical Facts About Ilorin And Kwara Yoruba (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Unknown Historical Figures: The Fighting Women Of Dahomey by slimdiggi: 6:03pm On May 26, 2015
Unknown Historical Figures

I really love history so much so that I actually studied it at the University. I find history fascinating with all the stories, key figures and so many things to learn from it. Speaking of key figures, we have so many that have changed the course of history that their story is not new to anybody but there are some that actually made an impact on the lives of their people. So, let’s meet...

The Fighting Women of Dahomey

The Dahomey Amazons, or Mino, were a Fon (a major West African ethnic and linguistic group in the country of Benin, and southwest Nigeria) all-female military regiment of the Kingdom of Dahomey (now Benin), which lasted until the end of the 19th century. They were so named by Western observers and historians due to their similarity to the semi-mythical Amazons of ancient Anatolia and the Black Sea.

The Mino were recruited from among the ahosi (“king’s wives”), of which there were often hundreds. They trained with intense physical exercise. Discipline was emphasized. In the latter period, they were armed with Winchester rifles, clubs and knives. Units were under female command. Captives who fell into the hands of the Amazons were often decapitated. The French army lost several battles to them due to the female warriors’ skill in battle that was “the equal of every contemporary body of male elite soldiers from among the colonial powers”.

The last surviving Amazon of Dahomey died in 1979.

www.http://creativefancies..com

1 Like

Re: Unknown Historical Figures: The Fighting Women Of Dahomey by absoluteSuccess: 8:12pm On May 26, 2015
I remember my grandma, she love her culture so much, the Dahomey culture.

She was an adherent of Dan, the boa. That's the national totem of Dahomey, hence the name Dan-horme, meaning "home of Dan" as the small house that serve as the shrine for Dan is called.

The full name of the boa is "Dagbe", hence we have names such as Dagbesi, (wife of Dagbe, my aunty's name be that o), but the male version of this is Dansu (husband of snake ahaha cheesy.)

But we also have Dasi, that's my big uncle, Agbo's true name. Agbo is from Agbomadaun, which finally settles as gbodanu in "Yorubgun" which combines Yoruba with egun to create the craziest 'lingua-medley' there is.

Growing up and staying with the folks during holiday was the funniest culture shock and awakening I ever felt. Those my peers in the place avoid me like plaque, they said of me

"wori-woku na vie yor, oho tho jhan ayo khanse do sade pepe meh. Pon, aho tee ni je"

meaning "this boy is a big heckler, it is the root of words that he seek after at all time! Look, may one be saved from you" smiley smiley

In fact you will ask questions if you have the same experience. I love my childhood anyway, and I love grandma, Tanyin my beautiful grandma, rest in piece my amazon, princess of Jaca, daughter of Agonmeh.

Which of your song can I remember oooo?
I remember your word of consolation now:

Jahweh eh jhan intor, (her way of saying "God has said it" ).

Op thanks, God bless for this memorial. Sorry if I've derail your good thread.
Re: Unknown Historical Figures: The Fighting Women Of Dahomey by iamodenigbo1(m): 9:07am On May 27, 2015
ok

(1) (Reply)

Protest Letter Against The Oluwo (emir) Of Iwo's Action. Cc All Yorubas / Evil Sodomite Cults Deliberately Spread HIV VIA Organized unprotected Sex Parties / Igbo Influence In The Americas

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.