Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,875 members, 7,806,511 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 05:35 PM

Lagos-Ogun Metro Rail Transit To Cost N456bn (Approval granted to start) - Politics (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos-Ogun Metro Rail Transit To Cost N456bn (Approval granted to start) (26102 Views)

Jubilation As Nnamdi Kanu Is Granted Bail (Photos) / 2019: Presidential Nomination Forms To Cost N10million / APC Manifesto Spending Plan To Cost N53trn Over Four Years - Business Day (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos-Ogun Metro Rail Transit To Cost N456bn (Approval granted to start) by superstar1(m): 11:00pm On May 27, 2015
abdulrazat:
he lied. Awolowo was released from calabar prison by Ojukwu before the war. Both men had an agreement on secession but Awolowo betrayed him all because he was promised a top position in Nigerian government. Reason why till date, no Igbo man in his right senses would trust a Yoruba man. One thing is certain with both tribes, an Igbo man is arrogant and proud but he would not betray you like a Yoruba coward who will always backbite.

Another lie from the pit of hell.

Where is the evidence that Ojukwu released Awolowo from Calabar Prison. A big fat lie. He never did. The federal government did.

Where is the agreement between Ojukwu and Awolowo? We have asked this question severally and not even one of you, just one, can answer that simple logical question. Just show us the evidence.

Our forefathers never had any dealings with you. By extension, we do not have any relationship with you whatsoever. Neither do we owe you any loyalty. Therefore, who cares whether you were back stabbed or betrayed or whatever you may choose to name it, in consolation of your defeated souls.

We do not care and whine about things we expected you to do for us and which you never did. So do same. Get over it and leave your miserable lives.

7 Likes

Re: Lagos-Ogun Metro Rail Transit To Cost N456bn (Approval granted to start) by bayulll01(m): 11:13pm On May 27, 2015
mapet:

Ok @ toxin, tell me you were discribing a Nollywood fantasy in the bolded and not you grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Lmao don't mind the clown
Re: Lagos-Ogun Metro Rail Transit To Cost N456bn (Approval granted to start) by walexybab(m): 12:31am On May 28, 2015
pls can someone help me to tell Gov fashola to lend some brains to gov aregbesola because he is d definition of cluelessness .clueless aregbesola can feed primary school pupils with #300m but can not pay 6 months salaries to workers in osun state which of course d teachers dat will teach them are among them and he expect hungry teachers to teach them well. Don't u think he needs to borrow some brains from this excellent governor.

1 Like

Re: Lagos-Ogun Metro Rail Transit To Cost N456bn (Approval granted to start) by arresa: 12:35am On May 28, 2015
walexybab:
pls can someone help me to tell Gov fashola to lend some brains to gov aregbesola because he is d definition of cluelessness .clueless aregbesola can feed primary school pupils with #300m but can not pay 6 months salaries to workers in osun state which of course d teachers dat will teach them are among them and he expect hungry teachers to teach them well. Don't u think he needs to borrow some brains from this excellent governor.

Different states with different financial and economic realities.

1 Like

Re: Lagos-Ogun Metro Rail Transit To Cost N456bn (Approval granted to start) by phazotron(m): 1:34am On May 28, 2015
See as boys finish dem empty chest beaters for this thread. This thread is an example of flawless victory. The empty chest beaters always expose themselves as frustrated and jealous in any thread(true fact this is for you and others like you they stick their flat heads into uninvited when they see progress in the south west. Secede and form biafra una no do but una sabi yab oda tribes thank God for the likes of awolowo Benjamin adekunle etc that quickly countered the pigs. Because they seized edo and delta they now thought they could seize a whole yoruba tribe and kingdom! The strangest part is the fact that all of them that make all sorts of strange allegations against awolowo and yorubas in general weren't born during the war but just believed recycled stories that their fathers told them hook line and sinker. For example what agreement did awolowo renege on? I know its not all ibos that behave this way bu a sizeable number of you pple are like that. Apologies to the good ibo pple and shame on the empty chest beaters. This same boastfulness arrogance wanting to lord over others and other bad tratis of ibos is the root cause of the fanatical hatred the hausas have for. You killed a hausa legend tafawa balewa or ahmadu bello(not sure) dumped his body in a trash can and as if that wasnt enough, you openly boasted about it! You killed one of our bright stars ladoke akintola! We had every motivation to join that war full scale but we simply defended our Territory. If the former had been the case there probrably wouldn't be ibo land today. Stop these childish acts and move ahead. Its not doing you pple as a tribe any good. Depression is living in the past. On that note, i say stop being depressed and look to the future truefact and your fellow disciples i know there are good ibo pple out there who aren't sad jealous frustrated empty chest Beaters like you and your disciples of hate. Stop giving the good ones among you a bad name.niff said! Proudly yoruba here!
#don't hate,just emulate!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos-Ogun Metro Rail Transit To Cost N456bn (Approval granted to start) by phazotron(m): 1:37am On May 28, 2015
See as boys finish dem empty chest beaters for this thread. This thread is an example of flawless victory. The empty chest beaters always expose themselves as frustrated and jealous in any thread(true fact this is for you and others like you they stick their flat heads into uninvited when they see progress in the south west. Secede and form biafra una no do but una sabi yab oda tribes thank God for the likes of awolowo Benjamin adekunle etc that quickly countered the pigs. Because they seized edo and delta they now thought they could seize a whole yoruba tribe and kingdom! The strangest part is the fact that all of them that make all sorts of strange allegations against awolowo and yorubas in general weren't born during the war but just believed recycled stories that their fathers told them hook line and sinker. For example what agreement did awolowo renege on? I know its not all ibos that behave this way bu a sizeable number of you pple are like that. Apologies to the good ibo pple and shame on the empty chest beaters. This same boastfulness arrogance wanting to lord over others and other bad traits of ibos is the root cause of the fanatical hatred the hausas have for your pple. You killed a hausa legend tafawa balewa or ahmadu bello(not sure) dumped his body in a trash can and as if that wasnt enough, you openly boasted about it! You killed one of our bright stars ladoke akintola! We had every motivation to join that war full scale but we simply defended our Territory. If the former had been the case there probrably wouldn't be ibo land today. Stop these childish acts and move ahead. Its not doing you pple as a tribe any good. Depression is living in the past. On that note, i say stop being depressed and look to the future truefact and your fellow disciples i know there are good ibo pple out there who aren't sad jealous frustrated empty chest Beaters like you and your disciples of hate. Stop giving the good ones among you a bad name.nuff said! Proudly yoruba here!
#don't hate, just emulate!
Re: Lagos-Ogun Metro Rail Transit To Cost N456bn (Approval granted to start) by Swiftboy(m): 3:38am On May 28, 2015
You're spot on!
Jobneeded12:

Rather than break, regionalism is better
Re: Lagos-Ogun Metro Rail Transit To Cost N456bn (Approval granted to start) by Swiftboy(m): 3:39am On May 28, 2015
You're spot on!
Jobneeded12:

Rather than break, regionalism is better
look at USA,every states do their thing and they're prosperous. My fear is some Northern states have nothing,hope they wont suffer?
Re: Lagos-Ogun Metro Rail Transit To Cost N456bn (Approval granted to start) by omonnakoda: 5:37am On May 28, 2015
Apart from oil producing states what is it that makes southern states better? How is Anambra Ebonyi Enugu Ekiti Osun Cross River Edo better than Sokoto,Plateau,Kano,Kaduna,Benue,Kwara or Katsina states? The south need to stop deceiving themselves .The bulk of Nigeria's agriculture is in the North

1 Like

Re: Lagos-Ogun Metro Rail Transit To Cost N456bn (Approval granted to start) by ba7man(m): 6:26am On May 28, 2015
chuna1985:

Lol, All these stories to defend the unserviceable growing debt of Lagos...

Ur d kind of person who sits himself down n then execute self deception. .
And who told you Lagos debt is unservicable

Don't argue out of ignorance.
Re: Lagos-Ogun Metro Rail Transit To Cost N456bn (Approval granted to start) by igbanbajo(m): 6:28am On May 28, 2015
Re: Lagos-Ogun Metro Rail Transit To Cost N456bn (Approval granted to start) by ba7man(m): 6:30am On May 28, 2015
chidinwachukwu:

Fo.ol,all of yoruba people should continue to focus on the development of a former capital of Nigeria to the detriment of your own undeveloping and archeological states of Oyo,Osun,Ekiti,and kwara.Ndi iberibe
Ogun and Oyo state are on the rise to levels beyond your comprehension.

You might need a visa to travel there soon.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos-Ogun Metro Rail Transit To Cost N456bn (Approval granted to start) by micktoxin(m): 7:38am On May 28, 2015
arresa:

Fact is, your comparison was flawed and misguided since the cost of everything associated with any kind of construction varies in any environment.

The places you mentioned obviously produces nearly all the tools and materials needed and they definitely won't be shipping labor and materials across the ocean like the folks in Lagos and Ogun have to contend with, then you still have to contend with terrain, needed stations, bridges and countless other contingencies that you can not put any kind of price tag on.

Again, you comparison was flawed and misguided even at least due to the fact that you have zero idea per what's on the table to be done, why and how and until you are able to do just that, you have nothing credible to base your analysis on.

The ridership numbers available on the ground daily means this project is capable of paying off whatever loan secured in less than 10 years while pumping tons of money into the local economy with goods and services going back and forth with ease and taxes into state coffers...

I never said the tool was accurate enough to declare the result conclusive. This is a common sense regardless of any management understanding. Any form of cost comparison without any privilege to a more detailed budget will always be a 'flawed' fancy estimate. However, depending on the result, they can help in forcing a government to justify their spending as it was the case in England.
My opinion is that, we shouldn't fold our hands and wait till the government provide us with more detailed budget, of which you will find rarely happens.
I mean what do you suggest? That we should only care about the ROI of the project and ignore everything else out of fear of being taken to cleaners.
The point is, with more transparency there is no way the government can take everyone to cleaners(They are not that smart).
There is no arguments about the benefit of this project to both Lagos and Ogun state, but my reservations still remains due to little or no information on the spending.
Anyways, as much as I understand your points we are arguing at the opposite end of the spectrum here, so I think we should agree to disagree.
Have a great day.
Re: Lagos-Ogun Metro Rail Transit To Cost N456bn (Approval granted to start) by Dollyak(f): 8:54am On May 28, 2015
walexybab:
Re: Lagos-Ogun Metro Rail Transit To Cost N456bn (Approval granted to start) by omonnakoda: 10:01am On May 28, 2015
micktoxin:

You are right. To be honest, I made that comments based on similar project in western world. Sud Europe Atlantique fast train in france, is a 302km project with a cost of $8.49 billion=$28million per km.
For comparison, Google map shows the distance between Lagos VI and Abeokuta to be 103km, which means a $23million per Km($2.4Billion).
The trip between both end of the 302km is expected to take around two hours and ten minutes, which means in order to match that Lagos train must take the journey in ~45minutes. Unless Lagos state is buying ultra fast modern train, I doubt they will achieve such a feat?
When you factor the overhead cost, the quality of the train in France, then it's very easy to see why the project cost of Lagos rail is puzzling.
http://www.theguardian.com/business/2014/feb/09/high-speed-2-project-french-railway-construction
Many rail project with similar distance don't even come close to that price.
I have looked at the link you provided and either you did not read the story or you deliberately were economical with facts. The story is about High speed two or HS2 in England and a comparative discussion of why HS2 is costing twice as much. You should have added that information for honesty and balance. Anyway the French model of finance is not explicit from the article and these things are usually complex . What you have is a model where investors are getting a 50 year concession. It is NOT the same as a transactional arrangement where government awards a contract for a piece of infrastructure. In other to compare two situations we must have all the details to be sure we are indeed comparing like for like. Taking your article at face value it would seem there is a wide range of cost possibility from the French example to twice that cost in the HS 2 example. I do not then see how you can suggest the French example is a typical one
Re: Lagos-Ogun Metro Rail Transit To Cost N456bn (Approval granted to start) by micktoxin(m): 10:04am On May 28, 2015
mapet:

1. If the aim of your argument was to raise a political question about deliberate overbudget, then your posers are inadequate and I thought we (some posters and myself pointed that out) How will costs in Nigeria be comparable to France for example? If you consider that almost the entirety of the capital costs are sought abroad in our case, expertise is gotten at a premium, our weak dollar vs. naira exhange rate, time lost in needless government bureaucracies, the risks factor built into cost of financing considering our environmental challenges (Fear of BH & ND restive youths), perceived instability in our government and policies etc. A typical french government will secure financing at probably single digit, while we get financing in region of 25%. That alone changes the basis of comparison.

2. A comparison of Project by km/mile simply gives you a poser to further dig down into the constituents when comparing countries. It tells a gives various people information that can be interpreted in many ways. A typical investor could choose to invest in France, if the cost per mile is cheaper, hence he requires less funds compared to doing same in Angola. A typical Nigeria government sees it from the POV of high cost of project financing that translates into longer term PBP and ROI, hence the need to look at the variables.

3. I tell you, it's simply intellectually lazy to do a brazen comparison without a level of adequacy on data to justify landed assumptions. Yes you want to call for probity, but we don't want to do that and allow government to take us to the cleaners.
You do like to state many painful obvious don't you?. I do agree to the lazy approach narrative, due to lack of contextual perspectives used in estimating the project....... However, what the comparison shows is a need to ask why the cost is so expensive.
Perhaps, I should make my position clear by saying any project with a budget of this magnitude($Billions) must be made available to the public.
There is a reason freedom of information act require big project's budget to be made available to a sect of UK public. Go figure wink.
Regardless of contextual perspectives we need more information. I feel strongly about corruption, so we will not agree on this.

I found this comment from DM interesting, "They said the target price for phase one of HS2 gives an average cost of around £90million per kilometre. The French TGV network cost £9.7million a kilometre." Goodluck convincing the British not to demand an answer from their government just because "comparison of projects between two country is flawed".
Spare me the obvious and have a good day.

1 Like

Re: Lagos-Ogun Metro Rail Transit To Cost N456bn (Approval granted to start) by micktoxin(m): 10:08am On May 28, 2015
omonnakoda:
I have looked at the link you provided and either you did not read the story or you deliberately were economical with facts. The story is about High speed two or HS2 in England and a comparative discussion of why HS2 is costing twice as much. You should have added that information for honesty and balance. Anyway the French model of finance is not explicit from the article and these things are usually complex . What you have is a model where investors are getting a 50 year concession. It is NOT the same as a transactional arrangement where government awards a contract for a piece of infrastructure. In other to compare two situations we must have all the details to be sure we are indeed comparing like for like. Taking your article at face value it would seem there is a wide range of cost possibility from the French example to twice that cost in the HS 2 example. I do not then see how you can suggest the French example is a typical one
Busy at the moment, might provide you with more information. It was quite a controversial topic.
Re: Lagos-Ogun Metro Rail Transit To Cost N456bn (Approval granted to start) by omonnakoda: 10:14am On May 28, 2015
micktoxin:

You do like to state many painful obvious don't you?. I do agree to the lazy approach narrative of the method, due to lack of contextual perspectives used in estimating the project....... However, what the comparison shows is a need to ask why the cost is so expensive.
Perhaps, I should make my position clear by saying any project with a budget of this magnitude($Billions) must be made available to the public.
There is a reason freedom of information act require government projects to be made available to UK public. Go figure wink.
Regardless of contextual perspectives we need more information.
Simple, and have good day.
You cited an article which gave two examples with one twice the price of the other which would suggest that there is a wide variability in the cost of such projects. I do not think there is enough information to say the Lagos Project is "so expensive" . That is just an illogical leap. Besides the article is not categorical but conditional in its reporting as "factual" the French figure but you appear to elevate it to fact without looking into what you are doing is a like for like comparison.

eg why is HS 2 twice the cost of the French one Does that make it "expensive" or just representative of an entirely different et of circumstances e.g if you are building in un-built areas is it the same as building through areas that are built up.
Also what is the contract structure ? Is it a build and deliver or are there other service arrangements involved. In Nigeria it is unlikely to be powered by electricity so we need to be cautious with off the cuff comparisons
Re: Lagos-Ogun Metro Rail Transit To Cost N456bn (Approval granted to start) by micktoxin(m): 10:18am On May 28, 2015
omonnakoda:
You cited an article which gave two examples with one twice the price of the other which would suggest that there is a wide variability in the cost of such projects. I do not think there is enough information to say the Lagos Project is "so expensive" . That is just an illogical leap. Besides the article is not categorical but conditional in its reporting as "factual" the French figure but you appear to elevate it to fact without looking into what you are doing is a like for like comparison.

eg why is HS 2 twice the cost of the French one Does that make it "expensive" or just representative of an entirely different et of circumstances e.g if you are building in un-built areas is it the same as building through areas that are built up.
Also what is the contract structure ? Is it a build and deliver or are there other service arrangements involved. In Nigeria it is unlikely to be powered by electricity so we need to be cautious with off the cuff comparisons
Another one missing the point. Read my replies to others and understand the context of my argument.
As shortsighted as the approach may be, I still maintain we need more information on Lagos project.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3010361/HS2-cost-nine-times-French-line-50billion-rail-project-hold-say-Lords.html#article-3010361

1 Like

Re: Lagos-Ogun Metro Rail Transit To Cost N456bn (Approval granted to start) by micktoxin(m): 10:33am On May 28, 2015
Some easy things are not too hard to comprehend. *Face palm*.
Re: Lagos-Ogun Metro Rail Transit To Cost N456bn (Approval granted to start) by Dollyak(f): 10:36am On May 28, 2015
I think we can all agree it is a great thing for Lagos, let's move on.

1 Like

Re: Lagos-Ogun Metro Rail Transit To Cost N456bn (Approval granted to start) by omonnakoda: 10:39am On May 28, 2015
micktoxin:

Another one missing the point. Read my replies to others and understand the context of my argument.
As shortsighted as the approach may be, I still maintain we need more information on Lagos project.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3010361/HS2-cost-nine-times-French-line-50billion-rail-project-hold-say-Lords.html#article-3010361
I agree we need more information and so we cannot draw any conclusions such as "IT IS EXPENSIVE" as you have done. Let us leave it as we need more information that is the objective approach.

1 Like

Re: Lagos-Ogun Metro Rail Transit To Cost N456bn (Approval granted to start) by micktoxin(m): 10:52am On May 28, 2015
omonnakoda:
I agree we need more information and so we cannot draw any conclusions such as "IT IS EXPENSIVE" as you have done. Let us leave it as we need more information that is the objective approach.
I think you guys took my posts as conclusive, which wasn't the intention.
At least we can agree we need more info, so it's all good.

1 Like

Re: Lagos-Ogun Metro Rail Transit To Cost N456bn (Approval granted to start) by omonnakoda: 10:57am On May 28, 2015
micktoxin:

We took your posts for what they actually said we are not mind readers grin

1 Like

Re: Lagos-Ogun Metro Rail Transit To Cost N456bn (Approval granted to start) by phazotron(m): 12:34pm On May 28, 2015
na so i wicked reach Sotey nobody quote me?
Re: Lagos-Ogun Metro Rail Transit To Cost N456bn (Approval granted to start) by mapet: 2:58pm On May 28, 2015
omonnakoda:
micktoxin:
:

We took your posts for what they actually said we are not mind readers grin

Thanks Omonnakoda, you practically answered my POV to him.
Re: Lagos-Ogun Metro Rail Transit To Cost N456bn (Approval granted to start) by noah91(m): 9:40pm On May 28, 2015
@Truefact. Thanks for ur advice sir but we dont take advice from inferior tribes like urs

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Osinbajo Visits Gombe Bomb Blast Victims (Photo) / CNN Breaking News:Tension in South East over Biafra agitation. / Dangote Shows His Products To Buhari At 44th Manufacturers Association Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.