Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,214 members, 7,780,401 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 01:38 PM

Nairaland Interschool School Debate::OAU Vs ABU ZARIA::WINNER: ABU ZARIA - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nairaland Interschool School Debate::OAU Vs ABU ZARIA::WINNER: ABU ZARIA (23016 Views)

OAU Vs UI, Which Is The Best? / Nairaland Interschool debate: Unijos Vs Abu Zaria::: Winner::: ABU ZARIA / Nairaland Interschool Debate:Match Two:OAU VS IBADANPOLY::Winner- IBADANPOLY (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairaland Interschool School Debate::OAU Vs ABU ZARIA::WINNER: ABU ZARIA by Hidentity(m): 9:22pm On May 29, 2015
Ordinarily, I would not ask any question, considering the crop of skilled debaters who already did most of the tasks. Nonetheless, may I ask Miss Miracy where she got the misconception that all the Nigerian universities are funded by the Federal government and State governments?

Covenant? Bowen? Ajayi Crowther? Babcock? I think that you leave me wondering if I could believe any of your words, since such a misleading assertion came from you

Grammatical errors- spelling, punctuation, tenses and all are just too much. I think that speakers need edit their works properly. It was not exclusive to any speaker. All erred in that aspect.

There were also little or no oratory prowess displayed. You should embellish your research with great aphorisms, analogies and well-placed rhetorics.

All the same, I commend your zeal to come out. I acknowledge your erudition, though below par. Yet, it was not bad. My score sheet would be made available to the organisers in due course. I submit!
Re: Nairaland Interschool School Debate::OAU Vs ABU ZARIA::WINNER: ABU ZARIA by obayaya(m): 9:23pm On May 29, 2015
Danjuma827:
Miss Miracy for your information federal universities pay tuition fees. and with what funom said. 240,000,000 naira is enough to developed a school within one year.

Sir,

Federal Universities do not pay tuition.. check your fees schedule..

As for your 240 million naira from 6000 students.. I'm not sure that can take care of the annual salaries of the professors in OAU. The average salary of a professor is around 6 million per annum. 240 million is enough money to pay the salaries of 40 professors. I'm sure OAU have more than 40 professors.

Do you still think 240 million can develop a school within one year?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nairaland Interschool School Debate::OAU Vs ABU ZARIA::WINNER: ABU ZARIA by Nobody: 9:25pm On May 29, 2015
Wow. Nice one
Re: Nairaland Interschool School Debate::OAU Vs ABU ZARIA::WINNER: ABU ZARIA by Danjuma827(m): 9:26pm On May 29, 2015
Miracy:
@Danjuma827
What do you say to a school like oau that increased the students' fee for better development of the school, tho the students protested against it but their efforts were futile due to the fact that over 90% of it's students paid the money...
Yes they will surely pay the money . but do you think 90% paid it happily? I don't think so. Did you also know that because of that ,most students did not pay and were left helpless.
Re: Nairaland Interschool School Debate::OAU Vs ABU ZARIA::WINNER: ABU ZARIA by barackodam: 9:26pm On May 29, 2015
Miracy:

Of course there are lotta half baked graduates out there... many are studying the courses they are not meant to study??.. .. whose fault .. .. Is the increase of tuition fees in universities to be blamed ? ??

2)I beg to differ... If we all that is school have that kinda orientation, im sure we all will go into vocational works.. ... Many of us go to school in order to be educated and well oriented not for succeeding sake

3)why?? Because of low funding which is as a result of low generation of income. .. If we don't pay tuition fees, how can we generate enough income to fund our universities??

1, it cant be blamed on tuition, you asked a question off point and I answered you.

2 and what is bad if we resort to vocation?

3 other ways
Re: Nairaland Interschool School Debate::OAU Vs ABU ZARIA::WINNER: ABU ZARIA by Miracy(f): 9:27pm On May 29, 2015
Danjuma827:
Miss Miracy for your information federal universities pay tuition fees. and with what funom said. 240,000,000 naira is enough to developed a school within one year.
Like i said earlier... Can you please give me the list of federal universities that pay tuition fee??

What kinda project can they embark upon with such meager amount?? The cost of things are soo high.... . what kinda hostel will they built with that amount.. . Don't forget that there are other projects to embark upon.
Re: Nairaland Interschool School Debate::OAU Vs ABU ZARIA::WINNER: ABU ZARIA by crowther15(m): 9:28pm On May 29, 2015
I CAN SEE DEBATERS FROM OAU COMPARING FEE IN ABROAD TO NIGERIA.... THEY ALSO PAY LESS JUST TAKE UR VIEW AS IF NAIRA IS #1 to 1$ u will see almost pay the same. see huge fee uniben, uniport ar charging their students yet no facility in those institutions.
Re: Nairaland Interschool School Debate::OAU Vs ABU ZARIA::WINNER: ABU ZARIA by Fynestboi: 9:29pm On May 29, 2015
NICE ONE FROM OUR ILLUSTRIOUS JUDGES......

AUDIENCE YOU HAVE THE FLOOR.....

.RESULT LOADING 77%
Re: Nairaland Interschool School Debate::OAU Vs ABU ZARIA::WINNER: ABU ZARIA by Miracy(f): 9:31pm On May 29, 2015
Hidentity:
Ordinarily, I would not ask any question, considering the crop of skilled debaters who already did most of the tasks. Nonetheless, may I ask Miss Miracy where she got the misconception that all the Nigerian universities are funded by the Federal government and State governments?

Covenant? Bowen? Ajayi Crowther? Babcock? I think that you leave me wondering if I could believe any of your words, since such a misleading assertion came from you

Grammatical errors- spelling, punctuation, tenses and all are just too much. I think that speakers need edit their works properly. It was not exclusive to any speaker. All erred in that aspect.

There were also little or no oratory prowess displayed. You should embellish your research with great aphorisms, analogies and well-placed rhetorics.

All the same, I commend your zeal to come out. I acknowledge your erudition, though below par. Yet, it was not bad. My score sheet would be made available to the organisers in due course. I submit!

I actually meant public universities sir.. .

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Interschool School Debate::OAU Vs ABU ZARIA::WINNER: ABU ZARIA by akin269(m): 9:31pm On May 29, 2015
@barackodam, not all private organisation can do what CHERON deos, in other to help ourself develop all this, tuition fees must be increase. I here to say the increase of tuition fees help to develop our institutions
Re: Nairaland Interschool School Debate::OAU Vs ABU ZARIA::WINNER: ABU ZARIA by Miracy(f): 9:34pm On May 29, 2015
crowther15:
I CAN SEE DEBATERS FROM OAU COMPARING FEE IN ABROAD TO NIGERIA.... THEY ALSO PAY LESS JUST TAKE UR VIEW AS IF NAIRA IS #1 to 1$ u will see almost pay the same. see huge fee uniben, uniport ar charging their students yet no facility in those institutions.
You can't compare our naira with dollar... Naira has no value at all compared to dollar
Re: Nairaland Interschool School Debate::OAU Vs ABU ZARIA::WINNER: ABU ZARIA by emaculate99: 9:34pm On May 29, 2015
"My humble tuition free school total fee." Are you saying that your school is the only tuition free school among the federal universities? @ Barackodam
Re: Nairaland Interschool School Debate::OAU Vs ABU ZARIA::WINNER: ABU ZARIA by Tgirl4real(f): 9:34pm On May 29, 2015
Hello guys,

You all are doing great so far.

I am sorry for the silence. My results will be coming in much later.

Cheers!
Re: Nairaland Interschool School Debate::OAU Vs ABU ZARIA::WINNER: ABU ZARIA by Next2Bezee(m): 9:39pm On May 29, 2015
Danjuma827:
Yes they will surely pay the money . but do you think 90% paid it happily? I don't think so. Did you also know that because of that ,most students did not pay and were left helpless.

Audience member here, great points from both teams.

@Danjuma,

You could take the mentality of most students into account. By this i mean that most just see university education as a necessity to get over with so they can begin working life, trying to get them to believe that the increment in fees could infact help increase the standard of education in their university might not bode well with them.

Any hike in prices no matter the reason is always protested.
Re: Nairaland Interschool School Debate::OAU Vs ABU ZARIA::WINNER: ABU ZARIA by Miracy(f): 9:39pm On May 29, 2015
Danjuma827:
probably but they still paid the money. .. They didn't realize it was a blessing in disguise.
Those that opted out were those that had other options.
Re: Nairaland Interschool School Debate::OAU Vs ABU ZARIA::WINNER: ABU ZARIA by Lifebender(m): 9:45pm On May 29, 2015
My questions for the Danjuma827 and Barackodam.
You claimed private bodies can fund our universities withous any increase in fees.Now my questions are:
1.If UNILAG built the e-library MTN built do you think it will be relocated to LASUwhat about UNILAG student are they not in need of it.
2.If u say private bodies can fund our universities,judging by the number of Federal and state universities we have in Nigeria,how many will they be able to fundand how many a year
3.Will a university have to call on these bodies for anything they need.e.g,lab equipment,library,computer system and facility upkeep.If there is an increase in fees dont you think things will be run more ssmoothly and there'll be less strike and whatnot?
4. where are all these bodies these years.If they are really there dont you think they'd have been there before now.
5.And lastly can you compare OOUTH and other state teaching hopistal funded by their state govt to private uni teaching hospitals such as babcock.
Re: Nairaland Interschool School Debate::OAU Vs ABU ZARIA::WINNER: ABU ZARIA by obayaya(m): 9:45pm On May 29, 2015
Until We realize that the government cannot fund education, we'll never make progress in that sector.

We want to get top notch education for free?
From who? Hungry Lecturers?
Where? In dilapidated classrooms and empty laboratories?
living where? Like boxes of sadines in an overcrowded hostel rooms?

Even the cheapest room in the most rural part of this country doesn't go for 3000 naira per annum. That's what OAU students pay for accommodation. yet they want uninterrupted power and water supply?

The cheapest engineering equipments cost thousands of dollars.. Where will the school get the money to buy those?

in the rankings of African universities, you'll see lots of schools from South Africa. Average tuition fee in a South African University is more than 500,000 naira. And that's notwithstanding the fact that the SA education budget is way more than Nigeria's.

I think it's high time we realize that we can't eat our bread and have it.

10 years old covenant university ranked better than a lot of older Nigerian public universities. Why?

funding from high school fees

3 Likes

Re: Nairaland Interschool School Debate::OAU Vs ABU ZARIA::WINNER: ABU ZARIA by Fynestboi: 9:54pm On May 29, 2015
If our audience are not asking questions, debaters may continue to answer other questions (if available) as we await the result.
Re: Nairaland Interschool School Debate::OAU Vs ABU ZARIA::WINNER: ABU ZARIA by Fynestboi: 9:54pm On May 29, 2015
RESULT LOADING...............
Re: Nairaland Interschool School Debate::OAU Vs ABU ZARIA::WINNER: ABU ZARIA by Fynestboi: 9:56pm On May 29, 2015
PARTICIPANTS ENDEAVOR TO REPLY ALL QUESTIONS FROM THE AUDIENCE.....
Re: Nairaland Interschool School Debate::OAU Vs ABU ZARIA::WINNER: ABU ZARIA by bodee(m): 9:59pm On May 29, 2015
Miracy:

Like i said earlier... Can you please give me the list of federal universities that pay tuition fee??

What kinda project can they embark upon with such meager amount?? The cost of things are soo high.... . what kinda hostel will they built with that amount.. . Don't forget that there are other projects to embark upon.
yea, the school management even pay salaries of contract staff(new lecturers). How can you spend a paltry sum of 240 million on a higher institution for a whole year!

Thanks for the representation though you seem to be lone ranger
Re: Nairaland Interschool School Debate::OAU Vs ABU ZARIA::WINNER: ABU ZARIA by Lifebender(m): 10:01pm On May 29, 2015
obayaya:
Until We realize that the government cannot fund education, we'll never make progress in that sector.

We want to get top notch education for free?
From who? Hungry Lecturers?
Where? In dilapidated classrooms and empty laboratories?
living where? Like boxes of sadines in an overcrowded hostel rooms?

Even the cheapest room in the most rural part of this country doesn't go for 3000 naira per annum. That's what OAU students pay for accommodation. yet they want uninterrupted power and water supply?

The cheapest engineering equipments cost thousands of dollars.. Where will the school get the money to buy those?

in the rankings of African universities, you'll see lots of schools from South Africa. Average tuition fee in a South African University is more than 500,000 naira. And that's notwithstanding the fact that the SA education budget is way more than Nigeria's.

I think it's high time we realize that we can't eat our bread and have it.

10 years old covenant university ranked better than a lot of older Nigerian public universities. Why?

funding from high school fees
Thk you,how they rank before so many uni's is a question,and that comes to money.
We all knw if we want quality,u gotta pay a money.
Now imagine a teaching hopistal that buys cadaver,where is the money coming fromWaiting for the govt will take eons by then what pratical is left?Uni's will then be churning out half baked docs and patient will now turn the cadaver grin.In this case what the way out danjuma827
Re: Nairaland Interschool School Debate::OAU Vs ABU ZARIA::WINNER: ABU ZARIA by Next2Bezee(m): 10:05pm On May 29, 2015
2 questions here for the OAU speakers...

Looking on the flip side, increasing tuition fees in this such a bad time as this where our economy is non-existent and the poor can barely feed would cost the offending university some of its students and its income.

- Wouldn't it be better to ensure that at least 90% of its students can afford to pay the current tuition fees?

- If so, wouldn't options like Government tuition loan programs for students be more feasible and benefit both students and university in the long run with 90% of students been able to pay the current tuition fees rather than lets say 50% paying the increased tuition fee?
Re: Nairaland Interschool School Debate::OAU Vs ABU ZARIA::WINNER: ABU ZARIA by boxypane(m): 10:13pm On May 29, 2015
What a combination of fenace, grammar from The Great Ife-ians. I so agree with the reason of increment of tuition fees to help boost a system that is fast been classified as "Glorified Secondary Schools" in our Country. A good example is O.A.U itself which has enjoyed the benefits of such increments in social amenities ( Electricity supply, infrastructure, just to mention 2 ) , host of other beneficiaries are the likes of UNILAG, UNILORIN, federal university Lokoja etc. With an average of N25.000 been payed at the latter to effectively manage the system.
Re: Nairaland Interschool School Debate::OAU Vs ABU ZARIA::WINNER: ABU ZARIA by boxypane(m): 10:13pm On May 29, 2015
What a combination of fenace, grammar from The Great Ife-ians. I so agree with the reason of increment of tuition fees to help boost a system that is fast been classified as "Glorified Secondary Schools" in our Country. A good example is O.A.U itself which has enjoyed the benefits of such increments in social amenities ( Electricity supply, infrastructure, just to mention 2 ) , host of other beneficiaries are the likes of UNILAG, UNILORIN, federal university Lokoja etc. With an average of N25.000 been payed @ the latter as part of the finance stream to effectively manage the system.
Re: Nairaland Interschool School Debate::OAU Vs ABU ZARIA::WINNER: ABU ZARIA by Danjuma827(m): 10:15pm On May 29, 2015
Lifebender:
My questions for the Danjuma827 and Barackodam.
You claimed private bodies can fund our universities withous any increase in fees.Now my questions are:
1.If UNILAG built the e-library MTN built do you think it will be relocated to LASUwhat about UNILAG student are they not in need of it.
2.If u say private bodies can fund our universities,judging by the number of Federal and state universities we have in Nigeria,how many will they be able to fundand how many a year
3.Will a university have to call on these bodies for anything they need.e.g,lab equipment,library,computer system and facility upkeep.If there is an increase in fees dont you think things will be run more ssmoothly and there'll be less strike and whatnot?
4. where are all these bodies these years.If they are really there dont you think they'd have been there before now.
5.And lastly can you compare OOUTH and other state teaching hopistal funded by their state govt to private uni teaching hospitals such as babcock.
I don't know about the reason why the library was transferred from Unilag but I believe that if unilag can be able to maximize the fees they get from students with time they can build their own sophisticated library.

Also, I am meant to believe that there are more than 100 private bodies in this country. And if these bodies come together I believe there will be room for improvement in various universities.
Re: Nairaland Interschool School Debate::OAU Vs ABU ZARIA::WINNER: ABU ZARIA by Sunbellar: 10:17pm On May 29, 2015
I beg to differ that increase in school fees will improve education. As stated earlier, how can the poor acquire tertiary education with the increase in spate of school fees. Nigeria as an oil producing country has no reason to ask its citizens for school fees but with the unabated corruption and financial and economic mismanagement, the society is suffering. We hear everyday about looted trillions of naira which should be enough to cater for every need of a single Nigerian. I strongly oppose the increase in school fees and I want you to contest this @Miracy.
Re: Nairaland Interschool School Debate::OAU Vs ABU ZARIA::WINNER: ABU ZARIA by Lifebender(m): 10:19pm On May 29, 2015
Next2Bezee:
2 questions here for the OAU speakers...

Looking on the flip side, increasing tuition fees in this such a bad time as this where our economy is non-existent and the poor can barely feed would cost the offending university some of its students and its income.

- Wouldn't it be better to ensure that at least 90% of its students can afford to pay the current tuition fees?

- If so, wouldn't options like Government tuition loan programs for students be more feasible and benefit both students and university in the long run with 90% of students been able to pay the current tuition fees rather than lets say 50% paying the increased tuition fee?

*And do you think during economy stress (Debt) like this can the govt think abt such.
*With so many sectors to fix do you think our education sector will be the priority.
*If any sector is to be fixed you and i know health and power will rank before education.
*And even if federal can,can states like kaduna,kano e.t.c up North do such?where will they get the money from?
Re: Nairaland Interschool School Debate::OAU Vs ABU ZARIA::WINNER: ABU ZARIA by calculator123(m): 10:21pm On May 29, 2015
after analysing both debators,i pitch my tent with abu zaria.government can never fully fund education in nigeria.thanks.kudos to the judges esp jarus.pls when would the result b out?
Re: Nairaland Interschool School Debate::OAU Vs ABU ZARIA::WINNER: ABU ZARIA by Fynestboi: 10:23pm On May 29, 2015
JUDGE 1:
OAU:
MIRACY
1.Presentation - 2marks
2. Logic of arguments - 2mrks
3. Strength of facts, examples, cases - 3mrks
4. Persuasiveness -2mrks
5. Demonstration of knowledge and
understanding of the subject - 2mrks
Total – 11

MICROFLUX: NIL

ABU ZARIA
DANJUMA
1.Presentation - 3marks
2. Logic of arguments - 3mrks
3. Strength of facts, examples, cases - 2mrks
4. Persuasiveness – 2.3mrks
understanding of the subject – 2.5mrks
Total – 12.8
BARACKODAM
1. Presentation – 1.8marks
2. Logic of arguments - 2mrks
3. Strength of facts, examples, cases - 2mrks
4. Persuasiveness - 2mrks
understanding of the subject - 3mrks
Total – 10.8
Re: Nairaland Interschool School Debate::OAU Vs ABU ZARIA::WINNER: ABU ZARIA by biomedixexcel(m): 10:25pm On May 29, 2015
@barakodam
Can you tell me which is the best between Government owned and private university? shocked shocked shocked

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Is It Legal For Teachers To Flog Students In Nigeria? / Which Africa Country Have The Best Educational System? / Pictures Of A Nairalander's Graduation/induction Ceremony

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.