Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,645 members, 7,801,877 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 03:19 AM

Jenifa the. blockbuster - TV/Movies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Jenifa the. blockbuster (16980 Views)

Funke Akindele's Jenifa's Diary Showing On Air On Stv. How Is It? / Alakada Or Jenifa? / Funke Akindele Announces Plans To Release Jenifa 4 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Jenifa the. blockbuster by deb(m): 12:13am On Feb 20, 2009
I'm not a fan of Nigerian home videos. please stop calling them movies abeg!

However, I think Jenifa is a good comedy. As much as it is a comedy it also had meaning.
actually meaningful.
Honestly I wouldn't have watched it i f I hadn't visited my Mum. She begged me to watch it
and at the end I saw her reason.

JENIFA is a good one. I commend the lead actress she is fantastic.
I encourage more of comedies like Jenifa from Nollyhood else they should close shop
Re: Jenifa the. blockbuster by TOYOSI20(f): 12:34am On Feb 20, 2009
I've gat one word to describe the movie . . . . .SMASHING!!!!!!! wink
Re: Jenifa the. blockbuster by vicade(m): 1:16am On Feb 20, 2009
I Love JENIFA. The movie was so nice and funny and is a nollywood classic already as far as i am concerned.

Funke Akindele is just Genius. I have been watching her since her days as Bisi in All I need to Know and with productions like this, I will be watching and buying her movies for a long time to come.

I loved the movie so much i bought five copies after watching it online. wink
Re: Jenifa the. blockbuster by DExplorer1: 1:16am On Feb 20, 2009
No doubt d movie might not b 100% a success, but it has a message & lesson learnt. Luk @ it 4rm dat angle den u'l love d movie, asper Funke Akindele, she has bin a total actress, now in d class of 'bigs girl' , 'as in' admirers of 'bigs guy' & if dat piss u off, be ready 2say 'awuch', 'i mean', 'yee!' cos her 'bouncers will get u out of her parri'

Amazing Reads! After Aborting 3 Times For Him, He's Set To Marry Another Lady This Month.

21 Reasons He Hasn't Proposed to You Yet

16 Regular Mistakes Singles Make in Relationships

25 Warning Sings of a Possible Break up in Your Relationship

16 Raw but Bitter Truths Ladies Must Know
Re: Jenifa the. blockbuster by Ellyptical: 4:17am On Feb 20, 2009
I just browsed through the first part of the movie on youtube and what greeted me on the opening was a Yoruba line. Men! Guys, Lets be real and practical for this once. The movie may no doubt be nice (I bet its better than a lot of Nollywood Movies), but not everyone enjoys watching a movie that they have to look off the faces of the actor to look at the bottom of the screen just to understand the words of the actors.
I noticed that Yoruba movies are not really that bad, but the nollywood movies which are predominantly Igbo, sell more and get more air time on DSTV because the producers realise that language is a key factor. Thats the same reason why Yoruba movies are hardly heard of outside the west while Nollywood movies are very popular in the Caribbean and in other African countries.
The first Nollywood movies were acted in Igbo (Living in Bondage and Circle of Doom, followed by Taboo, Ikuku, Rattlesnake etc ) but to cut across the market, they quickly switched to English and the rest is all what you are seeing Nollywood to be today.
Movie making is business! In business, every investor wants to cut across and hold the largest market share. For the singular reason of the language of this movie, it will not sell as much as it would have sold if it were acted in English.
Has anyone here watched Slumdog Millionaire? A real Blockbuster acted with 100% indian actors. Shot in the slums of india so much so that they filmed a scene were people pay to use a public toilet made of a wooded cubicle with a hole where the feaces falls though into a pit below! Yet its a blockbuster!
Imagine if that movie was shot in the Hindi I bet i wouldn't even know such a movie existed.
I respect talented scriptwriters and producers irrespective of their background . . . .but Yoruba producers need to get a life and break off the shackles of narrow-mindedness!
How do I read the microexpressions on the faces of the actors when i am struggling to read the lines on the bottom of the screen?

Slumdog Millionaire
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1010048/

They've just denied me of an opportunity to enjoy a nice movie angry

PS: They should work towards putting the movie on a DVD with multiple voicings. . . . .by then, they'll have to worry about lip-synching. . . . but that's about the only way they can remedy the situation.
Re: Jenifa the. blockbuster by KarmaMod(f): 4:33am On Feb 20, 2009
Ellyptical:

I just browsed through the first part of the movie on youtube and what greeted me on the opening was a Yoruba line. Men! Guys, Lets be real and practical for this once. The movie may no doubt be nice (I bet its better than a lot of Nollywood Movies), but not everyone enjoys watching a movie that they have to look off the faces of the actor to look at the bottom of the screen just to understand the words of the actors.
I noticed that Yoruba movies are not really that bad, but the nollywood movies which are predominantly Igbo, sell more and get more air time on DSTV because the producers realise that language is a key factor. Thats the same reason why Yoruba movies are hardly heard of outside the west while Nollywood movies are very popular in the Caribbean and in other African countries.

Slumdog Millionaire
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1010048/

They've just denied me of an opportunity to enjoy a nice movie  angry

PS: They should work towards putting the movie on a DVD with multiple voicings. .  . . .by then, they'll have to worry about lip-synching.  . . . but that's about the only way they can remedy the situation.

No offense but you have absolutely NO idea on what you are yarning. Slumdog that you are going on about, isnt it 80% Hindi? Why didnt they make it 100% English to "appeal to people"? Are you aware of how many NON ENGLISH speaking movies that have won Oscars and what not?

That's one of the many things I respect YMG for, the fact that they're not SELL OUTS and stick to their language. Only illiterates with ADD have problems with subtitled movies.

Anyone that isnt in denial knows that the quality of Nollywood movies (story wise) have gone down drastically ever since they decided to be English only. They copy American movies woefully with fake accents and the movies are now all garbage compared to when the movies were made in Igbo. Just because Jamaican hairdressers watch Nollywood doesnt mean it's good. Tunde Kelani has had his movies shown in respected International film festivals, actors speaking Yoruba and all. Name ONE Nollywood movie that can say the same.

The day YMG goes down the same embarrassing route as Nollywood is the day I make sure Im in Nigeria to deal with them. Shio. YMG has the support of the Yorubas and non-Yorubas that can read. They dont need anyone else. Afterall even Jenifa which is huge in Naija now is loved by non Yorubas as well.
Re: Jenifa the. blockbuster by regaltopax(m): 4:43am On Feb 20, 2009
actually watched it. it was a FUNNY movie and one that i would like to watch over and over again. As per Story line , looking back the film has no story line.
Re: Jenifa the. blockbuster by nanayisha: 4:49am On Feb 20, 2009
very funny movie. Part one was better than two, but it was still a good movie. 8/10.
Re: Jenifa the. blockbuster by asoji23(m): 7:38am On Feb 20, 2009
well i havent seen the film but pple said is one of the best,but what i read from fellow nairalands really change my intrest on the film coz i know that yoruba producers are nothing to write about except pple like Tunde Kelani,Wemimo,Tade Ogidan, but will try and see if the film will be able to convince me.
Re: Jenifa the. blockbuster by topgirl: 8:32am On Feb 20, 2009
Jenifa, nice film.Despite all the critisisims,she had made her cool cash and she is highly recognised and respected in Nollywood.Whatelse can she ask for? Thumps up girl,keep it up.
Re: Jenifa the. blockbuster by toosoon(m): 8:42am On Feb 20, 2009
can someone provide a link where i can watch this film online please?
Re: Jenifa the. blockbuster by Nobody: 8:48am On Feb 20, 2009
Well it lacked technical depth and most of our movies do
But thru it all, I think it was entertaining
Except you were watching with your eyes wide shut and your ears 'screamingly' deaf
Re: Jenifa the. blockbuster by Nobody: 9:06am On Feb 20, 2009
The film, to me, is overhyped. I was forced to collect the CD from a colleague in office who was always jokingly quoting those Jenifa statements. I watched it and it was truly hilarious, but I have watched other films that are even more hilarious but did not get that hype(e.g Bird Flu). Furthermore, I see no creativity in that film to warrant such hype. Everyone knows already that anybody that has lived in the village all his life has tendency to misbehave on first visit to city.
As regards that 'conc' 'ilu-oke' intonation, I know many people that speak 'Lagos', yet can also speak 'Ilu-oke' fluently.

No disrespect for the lady though.

By the way, why is this topic just being brought to the front page? It should have been a front page material when the hype was loudest( Nov/Dec alst year).
Re: Jenifa the. blockbuster by Nobody: 9:21am On Feb 20, 2009
I watched it cus i was hearin sooooooo much about it. . . n i liked it.

Tho not a great fan of Nigeria Movies. . .this one is comedy people. . .n i lik a good laugh.
Stop bein tooooooooo serious y'all. . . .stop analysing every Nigerian Movie u see, thus insertin comma,hyphen,bracket or fullstops tongue . . .men it takes all d fun away grin. . relax n let the fun within tak control!!!  grin SHOU!!u r s'pose to laugh,be merry n hav fun. grin  grin   grin it's a soul feeder

The yoruba was a bit difficult to understand tho grinbut i try
Re: Jenifa the. blockbuster by donjon: 9:51am On Feb 20, 2009
from wat i heard about d film, it was a hit. but now, i wont even waste my time trying to watch it
Re: Jenifa the. blockbuster by gReenmAn(m): 10:40am On Feb 20, 2009
Nice comedy if you ask me, a refreshing presentation of a rather pedestrian and over flogged storyline.
Technical quality? unnhngh undecided
Re: Jenifa the. blockbuster by simplychic(f): 11:03am On Feb 20, 2009
Haters pls shut ur crap,every film cannot be like Tunde kelani's film we need varieties and besides you guys are a little bit dull there was a storyline in th film which is all about spreading the news that HIV is real so if you dont understand somthing keep your mouth shut and allow people to hear word MR ITK, Am really happy for the girl cos she was able to come up with this i need to know thing her own way and it was a success.
Re: Jenifa the. blockbuster by beckky45: 11:09am On Feb 20, 2009
NA WA OO,I DONT KNW WHY PEOPLE DONT APPRECIATE THINGS.THE FILM IS FUN, ANYONE THAT DOES NT LIKE IT SHLD GO AND ACT HIS/HER OWN THEN WE SEE, JENIFA KEEP IT UP
, GBOBO BIGZ GIRLZ,I GAT TO BE BIGZ, SEE YA,  CATCH YA,  LATER
LOL
Re: Jenifa the. blockbuster by bunmii(f): 12:02pm On Feb 20, 2009
the film is not meant to be taken seriously, in my opinion it is just a feel good, laugh out loud movie filled with one-liner. simple.
No point lookin for deep meaning and comparing it too "tunde kelani & co "  films
Re: Jenifa the. blockbuster by PurestBoy(m): 12:13pm On Feb 20, 2009
The film is overrated. The story is not new. I see nothing funny in that film. Mr Latin is funnier and I frowned my face while my girl friend and her friends while laughing and I kept wondering what could be making the laugh this bad. I rate the film 2/10
Re: Jenifa the. blockbuster by Sanromeo(m): 12:53pm On Feb 20, 2009
hey d movie is really fantastic
Re: Jenifa the. blockbuster by babaogun(m): 1:08pm On Feb 20, 2009
@ Kingron & Bishoptboy

You guys are just trying to get some cheap publicity here as far as i am concerned.

How many movies have come out of Naij and 95% of people associate with. We recollect almost every single word said from it? Why focus on picture/ lighting quality. The moral of the story is the most important.

We all know these video making equipments cost a lot and with piracy and copyright laws still far from where they should be, these guys are not going to invest all their life savings just to be ripped off by people who on this thread watched it free online.

Did you see this same girl that acted the role as Jenifa when she was growing up? I dont even know her name, but she was on this tv drama " I need to know" acting as an ajebuta, now she has crossed over her role to a local girl. Thats what you should focus on.

I am bold to say that it is a blockbuster based on Nigerian standard.
Re: Jenifa the. blockbuster by oyinda3(f): 1:19pm On Feb 20, 2009
this jenifa imitation video is hilarious

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EO8TZ_GMQb0
Re: Jenifa the. blockbuster by Ilelobola: 1:39pm On Feb 20, 2009
I enjoyed seeing this movie; at least part 1, which I found hilarious. My husband and a brother-in-law who normally think they are too busy to see movies loved it too and we've probably seen it about 3 times. I am not normally 1 to see movies more than once except "Devil's Advocate". Part 2; I could not even watch as it seemed to have lost the plot then. Overall, I'd say well done to the lead actress and the rest of the team, next time restrict it to one DVD.
Re: Jenifa the. blockbuster by Omolulu(m): 1:45pm On Feb 20, 2009
yeah the movie's  overhyped but i personally think it to be quite hilarious, the same theme of the last 20 years but in a hilarious mode, technically poor but quite good, kudos to funke
Re: Jenifa the. blockbuster by SisiJinx: 1:53pm On Feb 20, 2009
I swear If I hear one more mention of Jenifer, I'm gonna hurt somebody. angry angry

Are we so derpived of good movies we call this crap of a movie. . . GOOD?!!

Kai! lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Jenifa the. blockbuster by ladej(m): 1:54pm On Feb 20, 2009
people slow down. first things first this movie is a blockbuster. before you say it isnt you need to understand the meaning of the word blockbuster. blockbuster in movie lingo refers to sales and usually movies which lack technical depth[like hancock which made millions for the studios]. so in these terms it was a blockbuster as it sold a lot of copies in Nigeria and far beyond. technically of course there is room for improvement but i dont think it was poor. entertainment wise it was fabulous. i laughed and enjoyed it thoroughly and at the end a serious message was also portrayed to the listening viewer. funke akindele has good a good job here, of course you cannot compare it to tunde kelani or tade ogidan who are veteran film makers. then again Rome wasnt built in a day. lets be honest in our critisms. there is a reason why they are stars. they are good at their jobs grin
Re: Jenifa the. blockbuster by soulamanne(m): 1:57pm On Feb 20, 2009
seriously i think d film is just too over rated.the way people talk about it like it is one all time film annoys me.it is just a normal storyline we ve known over years so what is the fuss.to think that someone is even callin it a blockbuster!, what the heck?
thingy is people ve low taste for quality.the only thing in the film is just the little funny things there thats all.i didnt even watch for 30mins b4 concludin what it would be.let us be more creative plsssss.kudos to tunde kelani and co(i will watch kosegbe,thunderbbolt,toluwanile etc over and over and over, )jenifa ko,lopezi ni
Re: Jenifa the. blockbuster by SisiJinx: 1:59pm On Feb 20, 2009
Yeah it is a blockbuster but that don't mean it's a good movie. As a matter of fact, the blockbusterness of the movie only goes to show that we will swallow anything and smile while doing it lipsrsealed
Re: Jenifa the. blockbuster by KarmaMod(f): 2:28pm On Feb 20, 2009
Jarus is definitely not the type one would ever invite to a party. Talk about a humorless party pooper

Lmao Sisi, I'll sooner take that than all of the "blockbuster" Seth Rogan movies that arent even half as amusing.
Re: Jenifa the. blockbuster by nickybayo(f): 2:46pm On Feb 20, 2009
which jenifa?
is it d one i did not watch
see, guys, i dont watch nollywood but because of d praises accorded to this particular film, i decided to check it out
if u want comedy, its your thing but pls, dont try to make a sense of it cos its completely senseless
Re: Jenifa the. blockbuster by kentayo: 2:48pm On Feb 20, 2009
stop criticizing the movie. its a good one to learn from and also a comedy. funke is trying so lets commend her.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Meet Maurice Tillet, The Real World Shrek! / How To Download & Watch Seasonal Movies And Youtube Videos / Nollywood’s Chronic Bachelors And Spinsters

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.