Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,560 members, 7,801,583 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 05:32 PM

Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie - Family (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie (47245 Views)

I Think I Think Too Much... Is This Normal?? / Please Help My Friend Save A Strong Woman / My Friend Engaged In A Remarkable Way To A Gorgeous Woman See Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (20) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by thorpido(m): 6:15pm On May 30, 2015
kandiikane:

Like I said you are confused. You still do not get it, the whole point is not to do something just because you are a woman, one can still wash dishes but she should not do it because society has said that is her role but she does it because she is not a dirty human who wants her home riddled with cockroaches and mice. When you both work and come home late tired, you will not expect her to go in the kitchen and cook just because she is a woman. When you finish at 2 for example and she finishes at 7, it's common sense for you to say ooh, my wife will be tired, I should maybe run a bath for when she comes home and make something for her to eat. Same goes for a woman if it was the other way round. It does not matter who it is, whoever is at home more should make more of an effort for the tired spouse coming home, be it male or female. There are instances where the woman's job might require longer hours, so you should be considerate and realise she is human and not a donkey that has to do everything just because society says so.
Even if both of you are home, you help each other out. There is nothing wrong in your partner saying, "hunny, please can you wash the plates or hunny, I feel like eating stew, can you make some" without you feeling like your manhood has been detached from your groin.
You haven't said anything here that I have not agreed with.It seems the confusion is on your part and you are getting emotional about it.
I have said roles can be reversed and that is all you have also written here.
Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by TV01(m): 6:18pm On May 30, 2015
...let me start by having a good laugh at this self-indulgent piece grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

That out of the way - and before I proceed to comment on the actual piece, let me give a high level summary;

At no point in history has any group been afforded the kind of privilege and accommodations that the Western female has today. Privilege to such a degree, that it can only be continued and maintained by the forceful oppression of men.

There are now no structural impediments to women accessing or availing themselves of opportunity in any arena one can think of. Indeed, that puts it mildly; feminist ideology is so deeply embedded - and I mean even in the church - that no law is passed or policy implemented before it passes muster from a gynocentric viewpoint.

Even that still doesn't really capture it. There are a vast array of initiatives, policies and laws aimed solely at giving women affirmative support, many such as VAWA are so structured and enforced,it's hard to figure out if they were drafted to "support" women or simply victimise men?

Now in all of this privilege, we have Wellesley College; one of the original "Seven Sister" - all women - institutions, designed to mirror the Ivy
league colleges.

This is where privilege meets elitism. The women who attend this college are not denied anything because they are women - think Hillary Clinton, Madeleine Albright - or expected to do anything because they are female. They literally have the world at their fingertips.

I must confess to never having read any of Adichies work. And in one sense that's a good thing - I speak based solely on what is written, but I find it hard to see her as anything other than a paid mouthpiece for Western ideology and conspirator in their agenda of cultural imperialism.

Wait 0! Was is it the Wellesley College at Ibafo grin!

TV

...Arsenal don goal dem, make I go miliki with Wifey kiss

5 Likes

Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by Nobody: 6:19pm On May 30, 2015
5minsmadness:

And this is the sole reason why hypertension was unheard of in those days grin
. Abi.....you see men in pics of those days grinning and smiling cause they had good amount and quality pusssy grin
Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by ireneidiva(f): 6:24pm On May 30, 2015
tintingz:
I'm very sure madam chimamanda collected bride price because she's a women.
Women? can't deal. Bye
Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by thorpido(m): 6:39pm On May 30, 2015
missterious:

Is it such a bad thing? After all, that is what women do everyday. Or does that mean men are too weak to cope with it?
I'm laughing at you.I said show me one you know,not stylishly dodge my question by asking if it's a bad thing.It's not a bad thing anyway.
I don't have a problem with men doing stuff around the house anyway.You need to know me.
I wake up to feed the baby,i clean the house,sometimes stay home all day with the kids.
All i'm speaking about is the idea of a woman in marriage not doing something just because the society thinks it's a woman's role.
Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by Nobody: 6:48pm On May 30, 2015
TV01:

At no point in history has any group being afforded the kind of privilege and accommodations that the Western female has today. Privilege to such a degree, that it can only be continued and maintained by the forceful oppression of men.

Even that still doesn't really capture it. There are a vast array of initiatives, policies and laws aimed solely at giving women affirmative support, many such as VAWA are so structured and enforced,it's hard to figure out if they were drafted to "support" women or simply victimise men?
Now in all of this privilege, we have Wellesley College; one of the original "Seven Sister" - all women - institutions, designed to mirror the Ivy
league colleges.
This is where privilege meets elitism. The women who attend this college are not denied anything because they are women - think Hillary Clinton, Madeleine Albright - or expected to do anything because they are female. They literally have the world at their fingertips.

I wonder what you think of HBCUs, minority scholarships, diversity quota and all. I guess all these "opportunities" awarded to African Americans erases racism or erases the effects slavery/oppression has had on the group for years.

10 Likes

Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by bukatyne(f): 6:54pm On May 30, 2015
How did nipples enter This discussion?

2 Likes

Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by tmosco(m): 7:04pm On May 30, 2015
People should first ask themselves why gender role can into existence.
1.How many women will chose a short shy man over a confident tall man . personality comes into play here.
2. If a woman cannot cook and clean who will take care of the children if u are planning to have one.
We can just ignore the fact that most women are neater and organised when its comes to their homes. I do believe every one should be given what they deserve and if 100 men are more qualified for a position it shouldn't be given because u are a woman and vice versa. I won't expect my sisters to cut the grass in our house when I am around.
I really do like the woman but life is not fair to both sexes.

1 Like

Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by tintingz(m): 7:11pm On May 30, 2015
ireneidiva:

Women? can't deal. Bye
Lol, why not ignore the typo instead of behaving like a bugs bunny. smiley
Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by tintingz(m): 7:16pm On May 30, 2015
@TV01 Up gunners. grin
Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by esscence00: 7:28pm On May 30, 2015
tintingz:
Lol, why not ignore the typo instead of behaving like a bugs bunny. smiley
oga stop it cheesy grin cheesy grin
Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by kandiikane(m): 7:45pm On May 30, 2015
thorpido:
You haven't said anything here that I have not agreed with.It seems the confusion is on your part and you are getting emotional about it.
I have said roles can be reversed and that is all you have also written here.

Oh wow, you see why I hardly argue with guys like you anymore? It is because when you have someone teaching you life lessons, your inferiority complex starts flaring up and you start stating that, one is being emotional-obviously because I am a woman. Grow up please.

You did not say roles can be reversed you said you have a problem when a woman says they won't do something just because they are a woman. I educated you on that, now you want to start taking jabs. Why do you still keep on disagreeing when you say you agree? Abeg, jor! I am even insulting my own intelligence by staying here to have this discussion with you. Have a good day!

5 Likes

Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by TV01(m): 7:46pm On May 30, 2015
tintingz:
@TV01 Up gunners. grin
...wifey is dancing round the parlour singing "oh to, oh to be, oh to be a gooner! grin

TV

...coming to deal with the nonsensical OP cool!

1 Like

Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by kandiikane(m): 7:53pm On May 30, 2015
There are now no structural impediments to women accessing or availing themselves of opportunity in any arena one can think of]

what nonsense?

4 Likes

Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by TV01(m): 8:17pm On May 30, 2015
kandiikane:
what nonsense?

Kandi, Kandii, Kandiii (see what I did there grin),
Instead of greeting me with an emotional outburst, why not refute my assertion? If you can cool!

Pray tell, what structural impediments exist - much less supportive initiatives galore - to hinder the graduands of Wellesley College from accessing any opportunity they so desire? Or indeed any Western based woman.

I'm sure they were thinking "Who is this spear chucker trying to teach us - from the early bastions of womens lib - about feminism" grin. What next? Teaching the Tutsi how to dance the Watutsi? Or perhaps the Yoruba how to do owanbe cheesy. I scratch my butt in Arapahoe!

TV

6 Likes

Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by thorpido(m): 8:20pm On May 30, 2015
kandiikane:

Oh wow, you see why I hardly argue with guys like you anymore? It is because when you have someone teaching you life lessons, your inferiority complex starts flaring up and you start stating that, one is being emotional-obviously because I am a woman. Grow up please.

You did not say roles can be reversed you said you have a problem when a woman says they won't do something just because they are a woman. I educated you on that, now you want to start taking jabs. Why do you still keep on disagreeing when you say you agree? Abeg, jor! I am even insulting my own intelligence by staying here to have this discussion with you. Have a good day!
kandiikane:

without you feeling like your manhood has been detached from your groin.
You're the one who wrote this above.

You're the one who started taking a jibe and that is why I said you were getting emotional and rightly so.You are the one that needs to grow up.
Go through my posts from the beginning,it's right there.Everyone can see it.It puts a question on the so-called intelligence you speak about if you can't see it.I said I agreed on any sex taking up roles but disagree with a woman saying she won't do something just because it has always been a known female role.
Inferiority complex?I laugh!

Let's stop having the discussion like you said.
Goodnite.

6 Likes

Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by JoeCutie(m): 8:21pm On May 30, 2015
missterious:

Babe, feminists have the greatest s*x. They demand for o.rg.asms. grin
shocked shocked shocked

In that case, I love feminists. Please, I'd like you to be a feminist. A great one. I can sponsor you all the way if you want me to. What will it take to be one? cheesy

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by TV01(m): 8:27pm On May 30, 2015
Shollypopzz:

I wonder what you think of HBCUs, minority scholarships, diversity quota and all. I guess all these "opportunities" awarded to African Americans erases racism or erases the effects slavery/oppression has had on the group for years.

Sholly how far? I missed you. Welcome back all is forgiven grin. The level of female comment here these days is typically devoid of real intellect and now seems morally vapid to boot undecided. Yourself and Kandikane in the same thread!!! shocked All my Christmases have come at once. If Shirley07 makes it here na 7th heaven be dat grin!

Yeah, 'cos women suffered worse than the soul destroying effect of the trans-atlantic slave passage and actual real life slavery? Puh-leaze...where does one even start?

I've touched on the initiatives, policies and legislation - Coogar abeg, this is your forte - how about that women enrol for and graduate with more degrees (although they aren't sticking in STEM are they - but lets leave that for now cheesy - Coogar!!!).

What about family law, or massively disproportionate health spending. There is no structural discrimination against women in the West. Sweden are even forming legislation to force men to pee sitting down. Get outta here angry!

TV

4 Likes

Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by tintingz(m): 8:30pm On May 30, 2015
TV01:

...wifey is dancing round the parlour singing "oh to, oh to be, oh to be a gooner! grin

TV

...coming to deal with the nonsensical OP cool!
Lol, abeg she should sing o.

You mind the op, her article is full of hypocrisy.

esscence00:
oga stop it cheesy grin cheesy grin
She look for a silly excuse to scamper. smiley
Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by TV01(m): 8:48pm On May 30, 2015
I have said a few things that have not been so popular with a number of people. I have been told to shut up about certain things – such as my position on the equal rights of gay people on the continent of Africa
1. And you have the right to speak on behalf of the whole continent because? Not to mention that things differ across the continent as a whole.

2. Not sure what your actual position is here, but if it's the wholesale agenda of same-sex marriage, adoption, surrogacy rights etc., along with a desire to see Africa embed homosexuality into it's laws and culture like The Republic of Ireland has just done, I also say "shut it" - for the Yoruba anyway. Others are free to respond - or not - as they please.

such as my deeply held belief that men and women are completely equal.
Sounds mealy mouthed to me? Men and women are equal - we are just not the same. Different in pretty much every way, even though there is great overlap. Our differences are meant to be complementary, not competitive and they harmonise when properly respected and understood to ensure "mankind" flourishes.

I don’t speak to provoke. I speak because I think our time on earth is short and each moment that we are not our truest selves, each moment we pretend to be what we are not, each moment we say what we do not mean because we imagine that is what somebody wants us to say, then we are wasting our time on earth. I don’t mean to sound precious but please don’t waste your time on earth, but there is one exception. The only acceptable way of wasting your time on earth is online shopping.
Precious twaddle.

Okay, one last thing about my mother. My mother and I do not agree on many things regarding gender. There are certain things my mother believes a person should do, for the simple reason that said person ‘is a woman.’ Such as nod occasionally and smile even when smiling is the last thing one wants to do. Such as strategically give in to certain arguments, especially when arguing with a non-female. Such as get married and have children.
If she wishes to denigrate her mothers advice, patronise her years of experience and do so pubicly to score cheap popularity, I find that sad, but will permit them the privacy to resolve family issues - as a good African/Yoruba man I do'bale for mama Ngozi sight unseen cool!

I can think of fairly good reasons for doing any of these. But ‘because you are a woman’ is not one of them. And so, Class of 2015, never ever accept ‘Because You Are A Woman’ as a reason for doing anything. Finally I would like to end with a final note on the most important thing in the world: love. Now girls are often raised to see love only as giving. Women are praised for their love when that love is an act of giving. But to love is to give AND to take. Please love by giving and by taking. Give and be given. If you are only giving and not taking, you’ll know. You’ll know from that small and true voice inside you that we females are so often socialized to silence.
Don’t silence that voice. Dare to take.
An impoverished definition of love - I hear she identifies as "Catholic", please someone, point her to 1 Corinthians 13 for starters..

TV

7 Likes

Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by cococandy(f): 8:57pm On May 30, 2015
I like online shopping.
grin

1 Like

Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by Jman06(m): 8:58pm On May 30, 2015
Adichie is right!!!

I detest it when women are made to play second fiddle to men. I mean! When we already know that more women are smarter than their male peers in all spheres of life.

In this age, both the male and female gender should be raised with the mindset that non is superior to the other. The consequences of doing the opposite continuously stare us in the face, yet some would not accept that. I know a family where the first male child grew up to become an overgrown baby whilst his immediate older sister(not older than 2yrs anyway) is the architect of the family's success today. Of course the guy was overpampered because he's male, while the lady was exposed to work early in life. The result is a lazy man who goes about beating his chest about how masculine he is whilst his sister is the engine room of the family. Whenever I think about that family, my resolve to empower my unborn daughters as much (if not more) as I do my sons gets deepened.

Women should never be treated as inferior to men. In fact, any discrimination against the female gender should be treated as a criminal offence. Period

11 Likes

Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by cococandy(f): 9:01pm On May 30, 2015
@topic, I will always gbadu chimamanda.

Under the sun and in the rain.
with dedication and selflessness.
Nigeria is ours Nigeria we serve.

Kpomkwem!!!
Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by thorpido(m): 9:06pm On May 30, 2015
cococandy:
@topic, I will always gbadun chimamanda.

Kpomkwem!!!
Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by bukatyne(f): 9:09pm On May 30, 2015
cococandy:
@topic, I will always gbadu chimamanda.

Kpomkwem!!!

Missing service already? cheesy
Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by cococandy(f): 9:10pm On May 30, 2015
thorpido:
forgive my pidgin Yoruba. bukatyne refused to teach me
Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by cococandy(f): 9:11pm On May 30, 2015
bukatyne:

Missing service already? cheesy
yea smiley
Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by Nobody: 9:12pm On May 30, 2015
TV01:

An impoverished definition of love - I hear she identifies as "Catholic", please someone, point her to 1 Corinthians 13 for starters..

TV
She was a Christian.

Probably an agnostic or atheist now.
Keep your silly advice to yourself.

5 Likes

Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by Nobody: 9:16pm On May 30, 2015
bukatyne:
How did nipples enter This discussion?
it is what it is tongue
Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by Nobody: 9:32pm On May 30, 2015
Is she a feminist?
Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by JoeCutie(m): 9:33pm On May 30, 2015
Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. smiley

All these her trademark Ankara she always wears sets her apart. Always.

#RealAfricanLady smiley
One In A Continent.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by Nobody: 9:37pm On May 30, 2015
Jman06:
Adichie is right!!!

I detest it when women are made to play second fiddle to men. I mean! When we already know that more women are smarter than their male peers in all spheres of life.

In this age, both the male and female gender should be raised with the mindset that non is superior to the other. The consequences of doing the opposite continuously stare us in the face, yet some would not accept that. I know a family where the first male child grew up to become an overgrown baby whilst his immediate older sister(not older than 2yrs anyway) is the architect of the family's success today. Of course the guy was overpampered because he's male, while the lady was exposed to work early in life. The result is a lazy man who goes about beating his chest about how masculine he is whilst his sister is the engine room of the family. Whenever I think about that family, my resolve to empower my unborn daughters as much (if not more) as I do my sons gets deepened.

Women should never be treated as inferior to men. In fact, any discrimination against the female gender should be treated as a criminal offence. Period
The only reasonable male poster that has commented on this thread, so far.

Funny enough, Adichie isn't fighting for herself like most men here would think as she have everything on a platter of gold.

Cute husband.
Professor as a father.
The popularity no Nigerian male/female author has achieved world wide except Soyinka and Late Achebe.

Smh, on current form both popularity and writing, she topple Soyinka as "Half of a Yellow sun" is the best selling book.

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (20) (Reply)

'I Want To Cheat On My Runaway Husband' / He Found A Condom In His Mum's Bag..what Should He Do? / My Married Jobless Elder Brother Is Sucking My Mum Financially. Help!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.