Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,626 members, 7,801,810 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 11:53 PM

What If We Had Two Moons - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / What If We Had Two Moons (3721 Views)

What If The Earth Had Two Moons -nerdvarsity (+PICS) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What If We Had Two Moons by RobinHez(m): 1:34pm On May 30, 2015
This article was gotten from http://edscienceblog..com drop your comment there. thanks smiley
Most of the planets in our solar system have more than one natural satellite. For instance, Jupiter, the largest planet has 67 moons, Saturn-62 moons, Neptune-14 moons and even our close neighbour, Mars has 2 moons.
Our planet has just one moon orbiting it. What if we had a second one? would it be fun or disastrous?
Well, astronomers believe that having two moons would have two major effects on our planet. The first is the instability of the "Tides" (the rise and fall in sea level). It is caused by the combined effects of the gravitational forces exerted by the Sun and Moon. So adding a second moon would increase the rate of the tides. At some times. the sea level would be so high (you would think its a tsunami) it would be extremely difficult to travel by water. Living near a beach would be a bad idea too. At other times, there wont be any noticeable change in the water level.
The other major effect is that we would experience more solar eclipses than usual. . .imagine everywhere just becoming dark often.
Other effect which is minor is that we would have nights been brighter than usual. Just like adding a second torch in a dark room. So it would be more easier for night creatures to navigate, and more easier for their prey to detect them...lol.
Now i wonder how it would feel like to live in a planet like Jupiter with 67 moons!!
http://edscienceblog..com/2015/05/what-if-we-had-two-moons.html

2 Shares

Re: What If We Had Two Moons by chiefolododo(m): 1:35pm On May 30, 2015
or two suns
Re: What If We Had Two Moons by RobinHez(m): 1:42pm On May 30, 2015
chiefolododo:
or two suns
that also has its effects, will write about that later... have u visited the link to comment? cheesy
Re: What If We Had Two Moons by RobinHez(m): 2:28pm On May 30, 2015
cc: Lalasticlala, Ishilove
Re: What If We Had Two Moons by RobinHez(m): 7:49am On Jun 01, 2015
smiley
Re: What If We Had Two Moons by RobinHez(m): 12:41pm On Jun 02, 2015
peeps are never interested in these kind of things sad
Re: What If We Had Two Moons by Ramos16(m): 1:53pm On Jun 02, 2015
It would be highly inappropriate to conclude that it would be all bad, talking about the increase in tide level or its instability might not be totally correct, remember that the earth was created by God (or nature if you like) and balance are always made in creation, always. So that, if there are grasses then something would depend on these grasses and the grasses on other things, there is always a balance. If we have two moons and God or nature as the case may be wants our kind of live on earth it would create a balance..
Re: What If We Had Two Moons by RobinHez(m): 1:58pm On Jun 02, 2015
our planet was created with one moon, adding a second would cause inbalance...some planets have no moon at all., giving them a moon would be catastrophic... it's all adaptability of the planets to their conditions
Ramos16:
It would be highly inappropriate to conclude that it would be all bad, talking about the increase in tide level or its instability might not be totally correct, remember that the earth was created by God (or nature if you like) and balance are always made in creation, always. So that, if there are grasses then something would depend on these grasses and the grasses on other things, there is always a balance. If we have two moons and God or nature as the case may be wants our kind of live on earth it would create a balance..
Re: What If We Had Two Moons by Ramos16(m): 2:11pm On Jun 02, 2015
RobinHez:
our planet was created with one moon, adding a second would cause inbalance...some planets have no moon at all., giving them a moon would be catastrophic... it's all adaptability of the planets to their conditions

You seem not to get my point, if a particular specie of animal goes extinct there is every likelihood that some other will follow, or another specie would become dominant, just to keep the cosmic balance, like newtons third law, for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction, and energy would neither be created nor destroyed but can only change form
Re: What If We Had Two Moons by Ramos16(m): 2:15pm On Jun 02, 2015
chiefolododo:
or two suns

The earth does not have its own sun, it shares the one sun with rest of the planets and planetary bodies
Re: What If We Had Two Moons by RobinHez(m): 2:16pm On Jun 02, 2015
yes, but it will take time for life to adjust itself to the changes...and that is after a lot of damage has been done. read this article http://www.universetoday.com/92148/what-if-the-earth-had-two-moons/
Ramos16:

You seem not to get my point, if a particular specie of animal goes extinct there is every likelihood that some other will follow, or another specie would become dominant, just to keep the cosmic balance, like newtons third law, for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction, and energy would neither be created nor destroyed but can only change form
and i'll apreciate one or two comments on the source blog, (twill go a long way in my heart)

1 Like

Re: What If We Had Two Moons by RobinHez(m): 2:20pm On Jun 02, 2015
true...but understand that the sun is just one of over billions of stars in our galaxy,(there are more galaxies too) some of those stars are bigger than the sun,only that they are not meant for our solar system
Ramos16:

The earth does not have its own sun, it shares the one sun with rest of the planets and planetary bodies
Re: What If We Had Two Moons by Ramos16(m): 2:38pm On Jun 02, 2015
RobinHez:
true...but understand that the sun is just one of over billions of stars in our galaxy,(there are more galaxies too) some of those stars are bigger than the sun,only that they are not meant for our solar system

I am not sure but it might be impossible for two suns to be that close, remember that the gravitationa forcel increases as the size of the planetary bodies increase and also increases inversely as the square of their distance of separation. F=(Gmm)/r2

So for two bodies to be "suns" they would be really heavy, and for the earth to feature both they would have to be close, increasing the gravitational pull between them, hence one of two things would occur, either one collapse into the other or they would suck up other bodies, the earlier is the most probable.
Re: What If We Had Two Moons by RobinHez(m): 2:43pm On Jun 02, 2015
Ramos16:

I am not sure but it might be impossible for two suns to be that close, remember that the gravitationa forcel increases as the size of the planetary bodies increase and also increases inversely as the square of their distance of separation. F=(Gmm)/r2

So for two bodies to be "suns" they would be really heavy, and for the earth to feature both they would have to be close, increasing the gravitational pull between them, hence one of two things would occur, either one collapse into the other or they would suck up other bodies, the earlier is the most probable.

now that's what will happen if there are two suns....only that its not possible to have two at a time wink
i love the way u think man.
Re: What If We Had Two Moons by sinaj(f): 4:38pm On Jun 02, 2015
RobinHez:

lol

Am Interested in this kind of things smiley

I love Science :-/

2 Likes

Re: What If We Had Two Moons by RobinHez(m): 6:41pm On Jun 02, 2015
sinaj:

lol

Am Interested in this kind of things smiley

I love Science :-/
wow...ok my request wont be difficult then...can u folow my blog? http://edscienceblog..com and i'll follow urs (if any...)
Re: What If We Had Two Moons by Feraz(m): 7:08pm On Jun 02, 2015
RobinHez:
There are peeps interested in things like these. . .

What I think about two moons? Like people have said - increase in tidal waves, changes in behaviours of animals linked to the lunar cycle maybe twice the way they behave having one moon [size=3pt]and then maybe a second chance for Nigeria to get her act right and be the first to visit the second moon. . .[/size] grin

CC blackjewelry, johnydon22, kslibb...they are many just that they haven't seen this thread...

lalasticlala:

put direct link to the particular page you got this from let me see it first.. thanks
There are many topics here that is supposed to be in the front page to enlighten the masses. . . . Y'all need to start looking here. . .
Re: What If We Had Two Moons by RobinHez(m): 7:19pm On Jun 02, 2015
Feraz:

CC blackjewelry, johnydon22, kslibb...they are many just that they haven't seen this thread...
wow...i'll love to meet such people o,, i'd like to learn from them
Re: What If We Had Two Moons by MicroBox: 7:26pm On Jun 02, 2015
The higher the tide the more efficiency our power plant would be..... Tidal Power Plant
Re: What If We Had Two Moons by johnydon22(m): 7:42pm On Jun 02, 2015
chiefolododo:
or two suns

It is practically impossible to have two suns.. . The sun is a planetary star with a mass of (1.988 55 ± 0.000 25) × 10 30 kg. . The nearest star in the milky way galaxy to our own star is the Alpha centauri which is 4 light years away (Note that this astronomical unit light year Is equivalent to 9trillion kilometers )

So the distance of the nearest star to our own star the sun is 36trillion kilometers ..

For us to have two stars at similar distance as the sun, first The planetary system would be like hocus pocus.

The planets wouldn't survive it.

And i dont think they will an "us" on earth to see these two suns (stars) in our solar system.

1 Like

Re: What If We Had Two Moons by johnydon22(m): 7:45pm On Jun 02, 2015
MicroBox:
The higher the tide the more efficiency our power plant would be..... Tidal Power Plant
And the more Tsunamies, Volcanoes and Earth quakes you get per day. . Not to mention a near impossible sailable tides
Re: What If We Had Two Moons by johnydon22(m): 7:53pm On Jun 02, 2015
Ramos16:

Actually there are star systems where two stars are so close together that they touch and in some cases share a common envelop. . . It's called Contact Binary system
Re: What If We Had Two Moons by johnydon22(m): 8:05pm On Jun 02, 2015
Feraz:

I think he is right most nairalanders are not interested in things like this thats why the science section is far less frequented than the sahara desert and its topics rearly hit the FP.

For the Op. . . I think he didn't consider the Mass of the Moons compared to their respective planets. The mass of the moon compared to earth is 1/81 compared to most planets that have moons 3/10,000 mass compared to the planet...

Of course with a close relationship of mass between the earth and the moon hence the effects the gravitational pull of the moon has on the earth add another moon of similar mass to this equation, it will be catastrophic like your Op pointed out and may lead to annihilation or possible extinction of life.

I think the earth can handle another moon of far less mass but with increased activities.

DProDG, Davien, pr0ton, menesheh, finofoya, 5minsmadness, frank317 and others

2 Likes

Re: What If We Had Two Moons by RobinHez(m): 8:21pm On Jun 02, 2015
johnydon22:

I think he is right most nairalanders are not interested in things like this thats why the science section is far less frequented than the sahara desert and its topics rearly hit the FP.

For the Op. . . I think he didn't consider the Mass of the Moons compared to their respective planets. The mass of the moon compared to earth is 1/81 compared to most planets that have moons 3/10,000 mass compared to the planet...

Of course with a close relationship of mass between the earth and the moon hence the effects the gravitational pull of the moon has on the earth add another moon of similar mass to this equation, it will be catastrophic like your Op pointed out and may lead to annihilation or possible extinction of life.

I think the earth can handle another moon of far less mass but with increased activities.
on point man. you studied astronomy?
Re: What If We Had Two Moons by RobinHez(m): 8:21pm On Jun 02, 2015
RobinHez:
cc: Lalasticlala, Ishilove
Re: What If We Had Two Moons by Ramos16(m): 8:22pm On Jun 02, 2015
johnydon22:

DProDG, Davien, pr0ton, menesheh, finofoya, 5minsmadness, frank317 and others
yeah very good way of thinking about it, since the relatiue mass of the earth and its moon is not that much there would be significant changes when you alter anything
Re: What If We Had Two Moons by lalasticlala(m): 8:26pm On Jun 02, 2015
[quote author=RobinHez post=34361349][/quote]

put direct link to the particular page you got this from let me see it first.. thanks
Re: What If We Had Two Moons by RobinHez(m): 8:28pm On Jun 02, 2015
lalasticlala:

i wrote it myself on my blog...after a little research
http://edscienceblog..com/2015/05/what-if-we-had-two-moons.html
you can see a similar one here: http://www.universetoday.com/92148/what-if-the-earth-had-two-moons/ embarassed
Re: What If We Had Two Moons by Ramos16(m): 8:36pm On Jun 02, 2015
johnydon22:

Actually there are star systems where two stars are so close together that they touch and in some cases share a common envelop. . . It's called Contact Binary system
actually contact binaries are really small bodies, they are mostly small asteriods and comets, nt a star as big and powerful as the sun, their size range from a few hundred meters to a few tens of kilometers, nothing like the sun
Re: What If We Had Two Moons by johnydon22(m): 8:51pm On Jun 02, 2015
Ramos16:

actually contact binaries are really small bodies, they are mostly small asteriods and comets, nt a star as big and powerful as the sun, their size range from a few hundred meters to a few tens of kilometers, nothing like the sun

Yeah with relatively too small masses as regard to average stars
Re: What If We Had Two Moons by davien(m): 9:04pm On Jun 02, 2015
It depends....more mass means more gravitational pull...so two moons of the same size would have greater gravity and thus waves would be much larger....
Re: What If We Had Two Moons by Adultnextdoor(m): 9:30pm On Jun 02, 2015
lalasticlala:

.......Done!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ask Me Anything On Solar,come In If You Need Solar Panels, / Happy Independence Day Nigeria / Damage If A Grain Of Sand Were To Hit Earth At The Speed Of Light?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.